Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

GreenNight posted:

You must have had a terrible class. This one is a beast. We start at 8:30am and we don't get done until 4:30. The book is something like 15 or 16 chapters and we're doing all of them, and every single lab. I'm not complaining by any means but my brain is fried.

I've taken a ton of MS classes and this is one of the busiest. Today we spent a couple hours writing loving SQL queries and getting the reporting server stuff working.

Don't worry, I guarantee all the stuff you REALLY need to know, you'll find out in your production environment at the worst possible time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah but that's true for any system management software, be it SCCM, SMP, or otherwise.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All we used Zenworks for is imaging, so this is all new. We never had system management software before and I've worked at this place for 10 years. Yeah.

Luckily we have an outside resource coming in to install and configure it. I just have to learn how to admin it. *Just*

Quick question though - do you recommend putting the agent on servers or only clients?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. So even if DNS were available, it looks like perhaps that wouldn't help unless the SYSVOL share were accessible. I don't know where CIFS starts in the boot order.

I'm going to try throwing a standalone DNS server in the lab so my DCs have something to resolve against and see if it still spins for a half dozen minutes.

Thanks for the valuable info guys.

Use client fallback on sysvol and netlogon folders. This should speed things up.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff633445(v=ws.10).aspx

E: you're using the BPA scans, correct?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 3, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreenNight posted:

You must have had a terrible class.

I probably did. We had some folks in the class that weren't full time sys admins, and they constantly needed a little more time for each exercise. The virtual labs we were using were also all hosed up for a day and a half which set us even farther behind.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Our SCCM class will be "we have the new server time to install SCCM" then we will fart around with it for a while trying to get it to work.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 3, 2013

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Yaos posted:

Our SCCM class will be "we have the new server time to install SCCM" then we will fart around with it for a while trying to get it to work.

This is everything I implement ever.

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
I'll take the hundy pounder and fries, thanks.
Hi All,

I'm deploying SCOM 2010 SP1.

I've installed the agents on domain machines with only minor issues.

However, the servers that really need monitoring are in workgroups.

I believe I've followed the steps that I can find but I've just hit a wall.

The workgroup clients I'm trying to monitor show up in the console, just as Not Monitored.
They have event 20070 in the event viewer: "The OpsMgr Connector connected to (my server), but the connection was closed immediately after authentication occurred" It suggests looking for 20000 events.

I can't see anything in the servers event log that would be causing issues.

Do any of you have ideas how I can troubleshoot this?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Is there a way to organize GPOs under the "Group Policy Object" folder or do they all just have to live under that one folder?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a way to pick the adapter/IP address that the RD Gateway binds to?

Edit: In Server 2008 R2

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Edit the NIC binding order maybe?

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Slow AD booting

You can configure Procmon from Sysinternals to run on start up that will give you an indication of what process is taking so long to start.

Install on one of your DCs, select Options->Enable Boot Logging.

I've used this method previously to troubleshoot something similar.

*edit* You will need to add the duration column to get an indication on what is timing out.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Caged posted:

Is there a way to pick the adapter/IP address that the RD Gateway binds to?

Edit: In Server 2008 R2

Yeah, edit the bindings in IIS manager. In that respect, it's just a web application.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Loten posted:

You can configure Procmon from Sysinternals to run on start up that will give you an indication of what process is taking so long to start.

Install on one of your DCs, select Options->Enable Boot Logging.

I've used this method previously to troubleshoot something similar.

*edit* You will need to add the duration column to get an indication on what is timing out.

Ah brilliant! Thanks! I actually put my AD stuff on the backburner but now this is the excuse I need to pick it back up.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Im hoping this is the correct place. Im needing to allow more then 2 remote desktop sessions on server 2008r2. I want to double check the cals I'll need. Our rep quoted us for Remote Desktop Services Device CALS, but didnt seem confident initially. Im not sure if there is an easier way to do this, but we have multiple people needing to access a set of software that runs on a server under a specific username.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Then you need a terminal server with cals, so your rep is correct. You won't all be able to log in under the same user name though.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

GreenNight posted:

Then you need a terminal server with cals, so your rep is correct. You won't all be able to log in under the same user name though.

Is there a way to allow them to use the same account? Im not a huge fan of how the software works. At least 5 people need access to it, but it all has to be under the one account.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. If someone tries to login under the same account, the other person would be kicked off.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

GreenNight posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. If someone tries to login under the same account, the other person would be kicked off.

That has always been my understanding as well. I just wanted to double check in case I missed something.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Drumstick posted:

At least 5 people need access to it, but it all has to be under the one account.
Quoted the part you need to fix.

If they need access to a logged in user, use screen sharing software. This will come back and bite you in the nuts.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Can't they just log in as themselves and "run as..." the software as the necessary account? Push out a shortcut with that setting and you're done. But yes, that doesn't change the fact that it sounds like lovely software design.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

evil_bunnY posted:

Quoted the part you need to fix.

If they need access to a logged in user, use screen sharing software. This will come back and bite you in the nuts.

It does have VNC, but that is by the software developer/support that uses that connection. Wouldnt there be an issue with that many people using the same session? Im worried about things like mouse control, and closing programs other people are using. The only way to access the software when it is running is on that one user account, they cant use an additional user account to even run reports.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Is this custom software? Sounds like trying to get around licensing restrictions.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
It is licensed software, but Im pretty sure it was made by 2 people in their garage. They do not have client software, literally everything is done from the server.

Edit: Got it worked out. They just couldnt explain things well. They were using the same user account for everyone for RDP but only needed one program that they can use without the other stuff running. Now to fix the issue where 20 people are using the same account to rdp and all will be swell.

Drumstick fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 9, 2013

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

There's a Group Policy setting under:
Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Connections

called: Restrict Terminal Services users to a single remote session

quote:

If you disable this policy setting, users are allowed to make unlimited simultaneous remote connections by using Terminal Services.
With Terminal Services on 2003r2, I remember if the same account was used on more than one terminal, the actions of user A would be relayed to the session of user B. I never took the time to test it on 2008r2.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does anyone know anything about Taskpad? It's a way to make a customized view of Users & Computers. I'm using it to give some people to create users and add them to groups. I've found plenty of guides, but I haven't been able to understand what exactly is going on beyond duplicating the steps. I feel like this could be a really powerful tool, but there's almost no information about it anywhere.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What is the easiest way, given an excel spreadsheet full of IP addresses, to do an nslookup on all of them? Bonus points if I can easily run a command within Excel to create a column of Hostnames, next to the IPs.

I can think of several ways, but they all seem to be reinventing the wheel, so I'm sure there is a better way.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know about doing it inside excel, but scripting something in powershell wouldn't take long at all, import a .csv with the ip addresses and export a csv with ip and hostname columns.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
We're about to purchase our first 2012 Server. It's going to be a PDC replacement. Our domain is currently littered with other 2003 servers, windows xp boxes, exchange 2003. Is there going to be any compatibility issues by upgrading the physical PDC server to windows server 2012? I ask, because we found out the hard way that Outlook 2013 does not work with Exchange 2003 so now I'm worried about everything. I do know that the domain functional level will have to sit at 2003 until we upgrade the secondary DC.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Have you used 2012 before? The metro interface is so great. Sarcasm.

The only problem you might run into is that Exchange 2003 does not support Windows Server 2012 DCs.

http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/2013/01/exchange-2003-and-windows-server-2012.html

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Have you used 2012 before? The metro interface is so great. Sarcasm.

The only problem you might run into is that Exchange 2003 does not support Windows Server 2012 DCs.

http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/2013/01/exchange-2003-and-windows-server-2012.html

And this is exactly why I asked, thank you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't envy you upgrading Exchange 2003 to 2013.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

GreenNight posted:

I don't envy you upgrading Exchange 2003 to 2013.

That's planned for this summer. I hope to find a new job before then.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

IT Guy posted:

That's planned for this summer. I hope to find a new job before then.

Believe it or not this is actually Microsoft's recommended best practice for upgrading Exchange 2003 -> 2013.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

What is the easiest way, given an excel spreadsheet full of IP addresses, to do an nslookup on all of them? Bonus points if I can easily run a command within Excel to create a column of Hostnames, next to the IPs.

I can think of several ways, but they all seem to be reinventing the wheel, so I'm sure there is a better way.

Angry IP scanner?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

This works really well and I use it all the time, but a heads up, a lot of virus scanning software marks it as malware.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
http://jayteknews.blogspot.com/2011/08/excel-user-defined-function-nslookup.html

I found this. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. It's a pity you have to enable macros for it to work, but nothing is preventing you from taking the output and pasting it into a non-macroed format afterward.

The code even has handy exception handling if the DNS doesn't exist or whatever.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

Has anyone experienced desktop/graphical lag when RDP'ing to Server 2012 systems from Win7 SP1? It happens about 60-70% of the time so now my RDP workflow for 2012 is to connect, check performance, disconnect, reconnect, check perf, etc. etc until I get a good session.

Google has led me to updating to RDP 8.0, mess around with the RDP performance settings, and some registry edits but nothing has completely resolved my issue. Anyone else experience this?

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Exclusive posted:

Has anyone experienced desktop/graphical lag when RDP'ing to Server 2012 systems from Win7 SP1? It happens about 60-70% of the time so now my RDP workflow for 2012 is to connect, check performance, disconnect, reconnect, check perf, etc. etc until I get a good session.

Google has led me to updating to RDP 8.0, mess around with the RDP performance settings, and some registry edits but nothing has completely resolved my issue. Anyone else experience this?

Perhaps try disabling your UDP connection over RDP? I know RDP 8 introduced UDP connectivity - if you hit the connection graph icon in the RDP title bar it will say something like "your connection is excellent and is using UDP." I think I read somewhere on Technet that while UDP can help with WAN performance of RDP connections, it can introduce some input lag due to the nature of the UDP stream being connectionless. Kind of a shot in the dark here, but might be worth disabling via the registry and testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If I've got a non FSMO domain controller in a remote site that's throwing disk errors on both drives in a RAID1 config (and I'm not backing up system state, just data on the server) would it be prudent to demote it while I can? The machines in that site have another site's AD server set up as a secondary AD server so they will be able to sign on.

Dell ProSupport is probably going to be out there on Monday morning (it's in London, I'm in NY) to replace both drives and reinstall windows. I've had to manually edit AD before and it's not fun at all. So this is probably the preferred step right?