Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I mounted a gopro right in front of the intake on my 328, it makes it sound like a much better car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7riZ_mmWooU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Muffinpox posted:

Annnd here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9jFvdF2JOM

I demolished the camera on the last run of the day screwing around, here's one where it actually survives:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaglvHWqBnI

It still works, just a little banged up. Need a tethering system for next time.

I knew what car that was just by the engine note. CAI or you took the airbox cover off?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You need to drop the VTEC threshold a thousand RPM or so.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Beach Bum posted:

Nah drop it to liek 2000 RPM for ~*~mAd PoWaA~*~

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The most exact way would be to dyno test it, a full pull with the vtec stuck "off", then a full pull with it trigger
"on" the entire time. Then find the crossover point on the power graph between the two curves.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

peepsalot posted:

The most exact way would be to dyno test it, a full pull with the vtec stuck "off", then a full pull with it trigger
"on" the entire time. Then find the crossover point on the power graph between the two curves.

Which, if the car is more or less stock, will probably be about where Honda put it. I hear their engineers are fairly sharp.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
From what I heard the ideal spot is between 5000-5500RPM, they put it a bit higher so that you can feel a sharper kick when it engages.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

whiskas posted:

From what I heard the ideal spot is between 5000-5500RPM, they put it a bit higher so that you can feel a sharper kick when it engages.

Well that's marketing's fault then :v: After all people need to know it's working.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Devens only has one course configuration :/.

SCCA does some different configurations but they also only get in 3-4 runs for an 8-9hour day.

whiskas posted:

I knew what car that was just by the engine note. CAI or you took the airbox cover off?

It has an AEM V2 intake, the intake filter is right behind the bumper next to the camera. You can also hear the front brakes.

Beach Bum posted:

AP1 ECUs are non-flashable and getting an aftermarket ECU or piggyback VTEC controller isn't worth the price on an stockish AP1 where the ideal point is like 5500rpm vs the stock 6krpm.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Muffinpox posted:

SCCA does some different configurations but they also only get in 3-4 runs for an 8-9hour day.

I was talking to some older guys and they asked me why people my age (mid twenties) aren't really showing up for SCCA autox events in my area. I told them that getting 3-4 runs in 8+ hours isn't a lot of fun and there are other clubs out there that offer 8+ runs in a shorter day. They looked at me like I had grown another head.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Well that's marketing's fault then :v: After all people need to know it's working.

Kind of like when CVTs were first coming out. Some companies were creating artificial 'shift points'.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

G-Mach posted:

I was talking to some older guys and they asked me why people my age (mid twenties) aren't really showing up for SCCA autox events in my area. I told them that getting 3-4 runs in 8+ hours isn't a lot of fun and there are other clubs out there that offer 8+ runs in a shorter day. They looked at me like I had grown another head.

CalClub does a pretty good job--Saturdays are full day practices, with 6 runs in the morning and 6 runs in the afternoon. On Sundays, race days, its 4 runs in the morning or afternoon. You also work in the same morning or afternoon, so you're only there a half day anyway. Do other clubs run their SCCA auto-x this way?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

FatCow posted:

Marketing. Lower TW = softer = stickier. It's not necessarily true, and the people buying RS3s don't exactly care about longevity.

Err, no? From the article: "Hankook assigned 140 Treadwear rating to match the UTQG Treadwear rating required by car club competition rules"

I guess you could be right, but usually I see people cross shop the RS3 with the Star Spec, and the Star Spec is listed as a 200 TW tire. The whole thing is just odd...

the poi posted:

CalClub does a pretty good job--Saturdays are full day practices, with 6 runs in the morning and 6 runs in the afternoon. On Sundays, race days, its 4 runs in the morning or afternoon. You also work in the same morning or afternoon, so you're only there a half day anyway. Do other clubs run their SCCA auto-x this way?

No. We'd like to, but best as we can figure CalClub benefits from having nice weather year round, a decent location and a shitton of regulars. We'd have to somehow double our trained volunteer pool to pull something off like that, and we can barely find replacements as it is...

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The rule in every series i can think of is 140tw or higher. Stamping them 200tw from the start wouldn't have changed their eligibility.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FatCow posted:

The rule in every series i can think of is 140tw or higher. Stamping them 200tw from the start wouldn't have changed their eligibility.

The rules are changing.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Apparently the new Rivals are having thread splice issues already.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

G-Mach posted:

On what cars? I really think the Rival would be a good upgrade path from my RS3s when my vaporization of them is complete.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On what cars? I really think the Rival would be a good upgrade path from my RS3s when my vaporization of them is complete.

Looks like a Intrega Type-R (STX), a Miata (Stock 1.6 car with minimal mods and -2.3 camber in that corner. Splice is all the way across.), and a Civic (HS). I think there are a couple more out there as well.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What would be the best autocross tire to use for a street driven car? I don't use it during the winter months (1992 240sx, driven from mid-April until November). I'm also :newlol:.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Guess it depends on tread life and how much rain you expect, also what car? I mostly use my RS3s for autocross and all seasons for normal driving, but due to laziness I put quite a few street miles on the RS3s and Ive been happy with them other than rough ride. The RS3s do better in the heavy rain than my all seasons do. I have been told that the Star Specs will last longer though. In my case, I was just looking for the cheapest sticky tires on the market. I think the Rivals are supposed to be pretty awful in the wet, so that would make me less interested in using them on the street all the time. Maybe R1Rs would be a good option as they are not at all bad at autocross but are amazing in the rain.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sadi posted:

Guess it depends on tread life and how much rain you expect, also what car? I mostly use my RS3s for autocross and all seasons for normal driving, but due to laziness I put quite a few street miles on the RS3s and Ive been happy with them other than rough ride. The RS3s do better in the heavy rain than my all seasons do. I have been told that the Star Specs will last longer though. In my case, I was just looking for the cheapest sticky tires on the market. I think the Rivals are supposed to be pretty awful in the wet, so that would make me less interested in using them on the street all the time. Maybe R1Rs would be a good option as they are not at all bad at autocross but are amazing in the rain.

1992 Nissan 240SX. I will check out the ones you listed. So the R1R's would be ok? I must note that I don't have the skill level yet to exploit the most out of tires so are they friendly towards beginners?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
What have you done to the 240sx in the way of suspension and powertrain?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

G-Mach posted:

What have you done to the 240sx in the way of suspension and powertrain?

The engine is a stock KA24DE, the suspension was replaced before I bought it (~2 years ago) with OEM springs and shocks. I replaced the tension rods myself recently (also OEM).

The car is much the same as when it rolled off the line.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Z1 Star Specs or R-S3. Whichever is cheaper.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

Z1 Star Specs or R-S3. Whichever is cheaper.

Thanks.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

G-Mach posted:

And of course it looks like the 205-50-15 is the tire size that's most affected. However, most reports seem to indicate that it's just cosmetic and doesn't affect the performance/safety of the tire, so we will see. I'm about a month and a half away from new tires, so hopefully things are a bit more definitive by then.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Here's an interesting fact: All the instructors who have driven my S2K admit it's probably the most difficult car to drive really quickly due to how squirrely the rear end is, which I attributed to the aftermarket swaybars I have in that are the same rate front and rear. I popped my stock rear bar back in in preparation for next weekends autocross and while researching the rear bar size, I found out the '02-03 stock swaybar setup has a larger rear bar than front. These cars were really aggressively set up from the factory.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why would you put equal bars on a car that's set up twitchy from the factory? :psyduck:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Why would you put equal bars on a car that's set up twitchy from the factory? :psyduck:

Probably because equal bars is still less aggressive than the factory setup for '02-03s. Mine were 30.4mm all around, factory was 26.5 front, 27.2 rear.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 15, 2013

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What are your spring rates, and the factory spring rates?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I have the stock springs and shocks, front is 246lb/in and rear is 309lb/in.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
The best setup is usually a thick front sway bar. It made the car much more neutral, and if you gently caress up and go into a corner too quick it pushes. The stock setup is just stupidly biased to oversteer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

whiskas posted:

The stock setup is just stupidly biased to oversteer.

S2Khrist died for our FWD econobox sins.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's been a while since I've had a dehydrated weekend. Autocross is no fun with a throbbing headache.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

whiskas posted:

The best setup is usually a thick front sway bar. It made the car much more neutral, and if you gently caress up and go into a corner too quick it pushes. The stock setup is just stupidly biased to oversteer.

One of the main problems we were discussing was oversteer bias under all situations, e.g. the rears tendency to yaw about 10-20 degrees out of line with the front under trail braking. Passengers love it and you feel like a badass with the car hanging it's rear end out under trailbraking through a sweeper but it's not very fast. I consistently run about 4sec behind FTD, so we'll see how the smaller rear bar does in terms of absolute times.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Phone posted:

It's been a while since I've had a dehydrated weekend. Autocross is no fun with a throbbing headache.

Mine are normally due to hangovers and sleep deprivation. I dont make good life choices.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Muffinpox posted:

Probably because equal bars is still less aggressive than the factory setup for '02-03s. Mine were 30.4mm all around, factory was 26.5 front, 27.2 rear.

Woah. The more you know. That's crazy bonkers. I want one more now. But I think I've had my fill with verts.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
I participated in my second autocross this year on Sunday, and one of the instructors mounted his GoPro to my car. This was my best timed run of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZRqeD37Bcw

I really need to get closer to those apexes and replace the lovely stock runflats.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Anyone interested in AutoX in Albany NY tomorrow (saturday) the 20th and sunday the 21st? Here's the schedule for my division: http://www.mohud-scca.org/solo/schedule-results/
I'll be taking my rusty 200K mile Miata, should be a fun time.

Saturday is just a test and tune with no points and just for fun, and sunday will be the points event. Always a nice mix of cars show up, a few Lotuses and such, but mainly miatas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Son-of-a-bitch, I wish you would have posted that a few days ago. I'm about 5 hours away, but am traveling down to Albany area for work on Monday... Would have made a weekend out of it. Still could have, but I've got work that needs to be done to the car prior to running, and it will likely take an afternoon.

• Locked thread