Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Everybody remember that ESPN will be streaming four mats of the NCAA Wrestling Championships tomorrow. Other than a handful of Olympic wrestling and Judo teams no other grapplers in the world have the kind of training and support system these guys have. It is seriously worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere in the thread. I'm probably going to start taking some BJJ classes soon. It's not with a big respected school or anything — the Parks and Rec department in my tiny Missouri town is holding a six-week course on BJJ as a self-defense/fitness thing, so we're not expecting to be ready for competing or anything like that, it just looks fun and obviously we're into MMA so thought it would be cool. What can we expect out of something like that? I am a goon not in shape and don't have much upper body strength going on, so should I anticipate that being a problem of sorts? Any chance I'll actually learn anything? I hope I can finally pretend like I know some basic stuff about cool grapply fights in the GDTs :downs:

I've been involved in similar things, not as a student but as a volunteer on a many occasions. You'll definitely learn a few things, but the biggest problem with these group short courses is that the instruction can only go as fast as the slowest students and these things attract all kinds of oddballs. I've had to accommodate middle aged ladies with 'fibromylagia', mute autistic people, bored retired people, a dozen manchildren obsessed with prowrestling, people looking to do martial arts to counter the weight gain side effects of their antipsychotic medication and so on. You get these people at regular classes to some extent but they flock to these community group short course type things.

As someone in poor shape with an interest in MMA you'll be fine and will be better off for having done it most likely. If you're genuinely interested and making an effort the instructor will be receptive to that.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Does anyone have reccomendations on material for grip fighting gi and no-gi?

I know Jimmy Pedro put out a grip to win dvd, but I can't manage to find it in print. (It looks like he still sell it as part of a combo pack, but it is expensive...Although I am tempted to buy it....)

I think Roy Harris put out a recent dvd for grip fighting dedicated to BJJ.

Who else has made good material for grip fighting with the gi? What about no gi grip fighting? (Submission or standup/wrestling)

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Wow I had a big post written up but then my computer shut down. To sum it up:

First some strategy and tactics for gripfighting in nogi, cause that's what I'm focusing on right now:

1. Establish the range
2. Stand just outside the opponent's maximum comfortable gripping distance
2. Mirror (maintain relative hip orientation to your opponent, oppose their light pushes and pulls, disengage if they try to commit)
3. Test the range (grip their hand with your thumb down and pull lightly towards you, then disengage, tuck your fingers into a loose fist so they can't be held and push, then disengage)
4. Get a wrist grip and immediately climb up to a neck grip (wristgrab>arm drag>leg pick/elbow push>neck grip recommended)
5. Destabilize them and wade in to throw or takedown or just establish superior position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6EoZ5c1FwM Check out the first 40 seconds of this video for a perfect demonstration of the above

Additionally, get comfortable sliding down from a pulling on a neck grip to push against the shoulder and vice versa, this is a really good way to destabilize people.

Finally, Rhadi Ferguson's Underground Gripfighting Secrets DVD series is fairly well regarded, but super pricey. I'll bet you could spend a fraction of the money on some aikido/sambo/judo/wrestling classes and come out as good or better at gripfighting.

E: Oh yeah one more thing- don't be afraid to use palmstrikes to break off stuff like elbow grips in nogi, as long as you're outside the opponent's range and safe from retaliation.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 23, 2013

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Instead of doing the old wrist flick, just pass their gripping hand to your other hand and show them you can hold them.

Also, the old head-touch is great psychologically and for range-finding. Don't hold the hand there though like the playground bully, because that's just an invitation to suplexville by way of duckunder ave.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Senor P. posted:

Does anyone have reccomendations on material for grip fighting gi and no-gi?

I know Jimmy Pedro put out a grip to win dvd, but I can't manage to find it in print. (It looks like he still sell it as part of a combo pack, but it is expensive...Although I am tempted to buy it....)

I think Roy Harris put out a recent dvd for grip fighting dedicated to BJJ.

Who else has made good material for grip fighting with the gi? What about no gi grip fighting? (Submission or standup/wrestling)

I have the grips masterclass book: http://www.amazon.com/Grips-Judo-Masterclass-Techniques-Neil/dp/095184556X

Cheap, simple, and straight forward with good info.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I need a new gi, just a relatively cheap one for training. Are there any sales going on anywhere?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
http://www.bjjhq.com/ has a white bad boy gi for $65 total. Better hurry.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So my school went from 100% no-gi to "only one day a week".
This means I need a gi. I don't know poo poo about gis.
What's a good one? I don't want to be buying a new one every 6 months.
I don't even want to be buying one but hey that's a different story.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I quite like this chart for showing the tradeoff between price and "customer satisfaction" (it's from a survey that this guy did a couple years ago). Hopefully this can help you find something in your price range that's good quality. Speaking personally, I have a Padilla & Sons one that I got for quite cheap from http://matrat.us and it's lasted me over two years.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Yikes. Is the Gracie Barra gi the one people are forced to buy for training at a GB school? If that chart reflects the quality of the gi, and not the way people feel about having it forced down their throat, that's hilariously sad.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yes this is the exact information I wanted. Thanks!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I always recommend Fuji as the best bang for your buck in terms of acceptable quality at a low price. You can do a lot better, but you can also spend a lot more.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Since it's a little late to resurrect the NCAA championship thread. Here's a cool highlight video of the 2012-13 Wrestling Season

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Thoguh posted:

I always recommend Fuji as the best bang for your buck in terms of acceptable quality at a low price. You can do a lot better, but you can also spend a lot more.

This is what I use for bjj, I've had it for a few months and it feels great.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
I'd like to add a +1 for Fuji. Mine has lasted longer than any other 'cheap' gi I have owned in the past.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I have 3 Padilla and Sons gis. They're all I'd want from a gi and the price is totally reasonable.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I definitely rock the cheap fuji gis for judo (3 total), but between the judo cut and bjj cut there's a $30 mark up. Looking at the chart it seems that Padilla and Sons would be better at the same price point. Although the best thing about the fuji gis is the lack of patches and emblems.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Marketing Guru Lloyd Irvin, ladies and gentleman.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/4/9/4203636/lloyd-irvin-lloydirvinrape-internet-marketing-seo

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
What a oval office

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

We had our first jiu jitsu class today. It was a lot like roidtech with less danging. I enjoyed it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I didnt even know you could still get Faxia Rua gi's. Sweet chart!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It is from 2011 so you might not.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Rids! posted:

I'd like to add a +1 for Fuji. Mine has lasted longer than any other 'cheap' gi I have owned in the past.

Yeah i've got a fuji and an ace fightwear one, my Fuji can be a little warm but it's a perfect cut. The ACE one is just a gi and I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone but I needed a Gi all of a sudden and it was on special.

I can't reccomend Sprawl's grappling pants highly enough though, their shorts and longs are loving amazing.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Metamoris II has been announced for June 9

quote:

Shinya Aoki vs. Kron Gracie
Braulio Estima vs. Rodolfo Vieira
Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu vs. Brendan Schaub
Mackenzie Dern vs. Michelle Nicolini
Andre Galvao vs. Rafael Lovato Jr.
Bill “The Grill” Cooper vs. Ryan Hall

Cyborg vs Brendan Schaub :psyduck:

Am I wrong to think that Aoki will get totally styled on by Kron? Maybe I'm just coloured by the fact that the fact that I've only seen Aoki's ADCC matches against Marcelo and Roger, but I've never seen him as a guy who can hang with elite professional grapplers.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'd bet on Kron to beat Aoki but it would be incredible to see the kind of meltdown Kron would have if he lost to Aoki.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Am I wrong to think that Aoki will get totally styled on by Kron? Maybe I'm just coloured by the fact that the fact that I've only seen Aoki's ADCC matches against Marcelo and Roger, but I've never seen him as a guy who can hang with elite professional grapplers.

To be fair, it's not as though anyone else that year did much better against Marcelo, and in fact Kron himself only did marginally better several years later when Marcelo was having a much less dominant year.

Kron's almost certainly going to win since he's a grappling-only competitor who's naturally a weight class or two heavier than Aoki, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was competitive. Aoki's pretty good and probably better at takedowns than Kron.

Yuns posted:

I'd bet on Kron to beat Aoki but it would be incredible to see the kind of meltdown Kron would have if he lost to Aoki.

Also this.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Wonder which will be gi and which no gi. Has Aoki done any gi recently?

Schaub vs. Cyborg will be interesting in the sense that it'll be interesting to see what Cyborg decides to finish with.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
does Schaub even have his blackbelt yet? He is going to be so outclassed that it's gonna be embarrassing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

fawker posted:

does Schaub even have his blackbelt yet? He is going to be so outclassed that it's gonna be embarrassing.

Schaub's guard passes in MMA are pretty funny to look at and I want to see Cyborg tap him with something crazy, because he's probably bad enough to lose to just about anything.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I can't wait to see Schaub get destroyed. I am still amazed that a BJJ brown belt was not only unable to submit Lavar Johnson, but also unable to keep him from getting back up repeatedly. It was even funnier when I learned during the fight that he was in fact a brown belt and not purple.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MrSmokes posted:

I can't wait to see Schaub get destroyed. I am still amazed that a BJJ brown belt was not only unable to submit Lavar Johnson, but also unable to keep him from getting back up repeatedly. It was even funnier when I learned during the fight that he was in fact a brown belt and not purple.

During that game-day thread I joked that Schaub would win the fight, and his BJJ coach would run up to him smiling and clapping, holding a crisp new blue belt.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Maybe Schaub is just really good in a gi...

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
I imagine that Schaub going to try to play the match the same way that Ryron did again Galvao and hope that Cyborg burns himself out trying to attack submissions.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

1st AD posted:

I doubt it. There was an article a while ago that was something of a bitch fit from a nobody blue belt about fighters getting belts in BJJ they haven't earned and it brought up some good points. Talked about guys like Rashad who've shown minimal BJJ ability in the cage outside of what is normally picked up by MMA fighters of his calibre and how most of these fighters walking around with purple and brown belts haven't earned them.

He also mentioned guys like Nate Diaz who only just got promoted to his black. If you're trying to tell me that Schaub has the same level of BJJ as Nate Diaz when he was on TUF season 5 for example it's laughable. Same with Rashad even being in the same stratosphere as a Maia or Nick Diaz. I know not all black belts are created equal, but if Schaub looks like an actual dedicated practioner in this match I'll be amazed.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I don't even understand how that match got made in the first place. Like I can't believe that any person, at any point in time, thought "hmmm, it would be really great to get a high level BJJ black belt, and put him in a grappling match with Brendan Schaub."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I doubt it. There was an article a while ago that was something of a bitch fit from a nobody blue belt about fighters getting belts in BJJ they haven't earned and it brought up some good points. Talked about guys like Rashad who've shown minimal BJJ ability in the cage outside of what is normally picked up by MMA fighters of his calibre and how most of these fighters walking around with purple and brown belts haven't earned them.

He also mentioned guys like Nate Diaz who only just got promoted to his black. If you're trying to tell me that Schaub has the same level of BJJ as Nate Diaz when he was on TUF season 5 for example it's laughable. Same with Rashad even being in the same stratosphere as a Maia or Nick Diaz. I know not all black belts are created equal, but if Schaub looks like an actual dedicated practioner in this match I'll be amazed.

Marcelo Garcia spent an entire round on the back of a Korean can without being able to finish him in his lone mma appearance. Roger couldn't finish Keith Jardine. Xande Ribeiro notched exactly zero submissions in his fight career and couldn't keep his mediocre opponents on the ground. Sometimes even top-of-the-top-level black belts underperform in mma, for a variety of reasons. It doesn't mean they don't deserve their black belts, nor that mma guys who have never even come close to being subbed or put in a bad position but don't happen to have any submissions on their record don't deserve theirs. Schaub is probably not a very good brown belt, but that blue belt's article was stupid and so is most of your post.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Like I can't believe that any person, at any point in time, thought "hmmm, it would be really great to get a high level BJJ black belt, and put him in a grappling match with Brendan Schaub."

I can't believe that there is anyone who DOESN'T want to see this.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Marcelo Garcia spent an entire round on the back of a Korean can without being able to finish him in his lone mma appearance. Roger couldn't finish Keith Jardine. Xande Ribeiro notched exactly zero submissions in his fight career and couldn't keep his mediocre opponents on the ground. Sometimes even top-of-the-top-level black belts underperform in mma, for a variety of reasons. It doesn't mean they don't deserve their black belts, nor that mma guys who have never even come close to being subbed or put in a bad position but don't happen to have any submissions on their record don't deserve theirs. Schaub is probably not a very good brown belt, but that blue belt's article was stupid and so is most of your post.

Fair enough, but I'll take the credentials of someone I've seen grapple in a grappling event or pull off quality grappling in the cage over someone who's yet to show anything in the public eye. I'm not personally saying they don't deserve their belts just that its obvious who certainly does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

1st AD posted:

The Gilbert Yvel effect.