Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Yes you get NG+ on Yuzu's ending. In fact, IIRC there are a couple of demons you can only get by going that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just worry about finishing it once, I'm still stuck on that first "protect the civilians" mission. :argh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I believe you get everything except an extra move square for the main character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

Do you still get access to NG+ stuff with Yuzu's ending, or does it just kind of laugh at you and make you restart?

No, it's a full NG+ unlocker. It has its own 8th day in Overclocked too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's a full NG+ unlocker. It has its own 8th day in Overclocked too.

Wait, really? What happens in it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MrAristocrates posted:

If I remember right, you return to the city when you discover that angels are starting gently caress poo poo up outside of the lockdown, since they have decided to judge mankind. While in the lockdown (after some trouble getting in), you learn that there is a way to seal the barrier and stop the demons, thus stopping the judgement of the aliens, but it requires a sidequest where you power a sword using Gin's Take-Mikazuchi. You take on Belberith and Honda (who wants to use Baphomet to heal his son), and defeat them both. Then, if you've completed the sword sidequest, you seal up the barrier, and eventually eliminate the rest of the demons, saving the world. If you didn't do the sidequest, then the demons continue to pour into the world and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

From what I recall:

The heroes end up having to go back into the Lockdown to hide from the Angels who are loving up humanity. You find out that you can use the Devas to remake the barrier, but they need a new focus. A buncha poo poo happens, you end up fight Belbereth and Honda. Then you either get a good ending where you successfully remake the barrier or a bad ending where God fucks up humanity.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

DeathBySpoon posted:

Do you still get access to NG+ stuff with Yuzu's ending, or does it just kind of laugh at you and make you restart?

Yeah, you get NG+ stuff. At least in original you got the extra move space, plus you unlock Remiel and Loki, who are pretty good and amazing, respectively. (you can get the amazing one on a different route, but Yuzu's is easier)

With the great demons you get and skipping text, replaying DS is super easy. I honestly went for Yuzu's route first, just to get it out of the way, then went back and speeded through the rest.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Yarrington posted:

As someone with a 3ds who never owned a DS or played a first person SMT, Strange Journey or Soul Hackers?

Now I've never played Soul Hackers, but I cannot imagine that it could possibly be any less fun than Strange Journey.

So it's probably your best bet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

alcharagia posted:

Now I've never played Soul Hackers, but I cannot imagine that it could possibly be any less fun than Strange Journey.

A real sperg fan would just get both. :colbert:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I really hope the Soul Hackers pre-order soundtrack has a full-length version of the intro theme.

And I also hope they do a misprint like with Strange Journey so i can snag a free CD for my collection.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I don't know why I decided to go back to Devil Survivor 2 after a half-year hiatus (and with Soul Hackers coming out next week), but I managed to pile drive my way to the 5th day.

Yeah, Atlus, we're going to have to talk about some of these characters. Like, loving really, Ronaldo and Yamato. Yeah, Yamato being an elitist bastard who wanted to remake the world into a Chaos-esque survival of the fitness, merit system world is hardly a surprise. Ronaldo is always like "JUSTICE" but doesn't do much but instigate random riots, bitch about how JPs is loving everything up, and is excessively paranoid about how evil Yamato is (even despite how Yamato tends to prove Ronaldo right on every single small hunch of villany, even leading to a comedic moment where they literally discovered a giant pentagram in the basement of a government building Yamato's family just happened to own/build). If there is a neutral route to be had here, I am gunning the poo poo out of it this time around rather than placing my lot with either of these lunatics. I at least like Makoto, Joe, and Otome (despite the crazy character designs with the females).

I almost want to just start DeSu Overclocked instead, despite how I finished all but one of the endings for the Vanilla version. It has been years since I've went through it, but I feel like I liked the story in the first game a lot better.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Doesn't DeSu2 have a pretty much canon ending where everyone joins forces?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Minor spoiler, there's 3 ending paths and one of them is "gently caress you both, we're fixing it our way."

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Tae posted:

Minor spoiler, there's 3 ending paths and one of them is "gently caress you both, we're fixing it our way."

Four, actually its just that the fourth path really sucks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Fiend Computer posted:

Four, actually and the fourth is the best one.

I think you missed a few keys there, I fixed your post.

Also, teeeeeeeeeeeechnically there's five ending paths if you squint, but one of them is an offshoot of the third ending path anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm actually glad there are less endings in DeSu2 because DeSu1 had "8 endings!!" Or whatever it was and 90% of them were the same.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Err, what? The only paths that were similar was Naoya's and whatever the thug's name was's. Everyone else has pretty fundamental differences.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Iceclaw posted:

Err, what? The only paths that were similar was Naoya's and whatever the thug's name was's. Everyone else has pretty fundamental differences.

Plotwise they were different but scenario-wise they had a lot of overlap.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

alcharagia posted:

From a gameplay perspective Soul Hackers is pretty much the pinnacle of the traditional SMT series. If you don't like it the series probably isn't for you.

Actually though it's not as good IMO I think you could probably say the same thing about Strange Journey. I doubt anyone that disliked Strange Journey is going to like Soul Hackers.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah they felt like they just switched some of the names around.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That's every SMT game, though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WrightOfWay posted:

That's every SMT game, though.

That doesn't mean it's not bad, though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

New SMT4 characters. There's really nothing to say about them because the descriptions are so vague, but at least you can look at their designs.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

New SMT4 characters. There's really nothing to say about them because the descriptions are so vague, but at least you can look at their designs.

Well they do seem to reinforce that there's some kind of time travel element to the story.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Like the old dudes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think I have a problem.

Not pictured: The copy of FES I loaned out to a friend or the other (unopened) Raidou 1 I got thanks to shenanigans involving a local resale store.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Like the old dudes.

The guy on the left reminds me of a thin Jack Nicholson.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Look carefully at the sword that soldier is using.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Maybe SMT IV will have time traveling in warps, and you jump around?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Booky posted:

There's gotta be something vaguely like that. One of the environments that keeps popping up appears to be a post-apocalyptic desert, and that does not jive with the rest of the world that's been presented so far.

El Belmondo posted:

Look carefully at the sword that soldier is using.

Hmmm his friend's name is Fujiwara...

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 10, 2013

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Get out of here, stalker

Booky posted:

That would be a neat way to have a lot of different types of areas. As long as it isn't handled in a really dumb or obtuse way like the last big JRPG about time travel. :v:

VVVVV FF XIII-2

Azraden fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 10, 2013

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Azraden posted:

As long as it isn't handled in a really dumb or obtuse way like the last big JRPG about time travel. :v:

...Radiant Historia? Ok, that wasn't really big as such, but the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Chrono Cross.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Saigyouji posted:

...Radiant Historia? Ok, that wasn't really big as such, but the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Chrono Cross.

Final Fantasy 13-2.

Don't worry, though. I thought he meant Radiant Historia too for a bit. Final Fantasy 13-2 just wasn't a very memorable game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Strange Journey might as well have been timewarps. Like you start in a cave, cool, then suddenly WW2, then a dungeon thing? Supermarket, Trash dump.

I wish for Sector E they expanded on all the weird security cams and the fact that it was a garden, I thought it was supposed to be the Garden of Eden or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Azraden posted:

That would be a neat way to have a lot of different types of areas. As long as it isn't handled in a really dumb or obtuse way like the last big JRPG about time travel. :v:
VVVVV FF XIII-2

Few games actually handle time travel in a way that isn't ridiculously stupid, so good luck with hoping for Atlus to handle that well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Few games actually handle time travel in a way that isn't ridiculously stupid, so good luck with hoping for Atlus to handle that well.

Yeah, I can't think of many. Time Hollow, YU-NO and the Infinity series, I guess.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Well my import copy of Devil Survivor Overclocked finally arrived today. And yeah the two glaring issues the games has is that the main character randomly has his name order swapped and that the summon command in battle locks the system up for 5 minutes. I might be able to make some progress for now but this is really disappointing. I wish I had heard about this issue before my order was sent but eh, there will apparently be a patch for it.

The game itself looks really cool though so I hope it becomes fully playable soon.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

TurnipFritter posted:

I can't look at the girl in the middle without thinking of Maya from Persona 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

bagina posted:

I can't look at the girl in the middle without thinking of Maya from Persona 2.

I wasn't seeing it for a while, but it just hit me, theyve got the same wierd deeply dropping eyebrows.