Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If you feel this way about Rich, then whoa boy, sure am glad you stayed out of the Achewood thread.

Edit: page 420, post err'day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

MikeJF posted:

It's Crohn's disease. And yeah, he totally fake wrapped his thumb up to validate some extra holiday for himself to the internet.

Yes, I literally said everything out of his mouth is a lie. You got me.

Don lluvia
Mar 27, 2010

Mylan posted:

Yes, I literally said everything out of his mouth is a lie. You got me.

Well, you did say you don't buy half of the guys excuses, so... I guess it's the illness you believe he's faking?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Crohn's disease is a loving nightmare. Sort of like diabetes, many people brush it off because it's not immediately fatal, but it can make your entire life horrible.

Also I've always felt bad for Rich, as a fellow artist my worst fears always involve somehow losing eyesight or injuring my hands. I don't know what I'd do if I ever lost the capacity to draw. (not that it wouldn't suck for basically anyone, of course)

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Honestly, if I had dropped a bunch of money on his Kickstarter, I'd be annoyed that the "9 days in a row of updates" turned out to be "Well, I've gone dark anyway, might as well build up a backlog for that 9 day thing and release them all at once" rather than "wait until I'm back to updating at my normal pace, and power through a 9 day run in there".

But I haven't given the dude a penny so I don't really care one way or the other.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

PFlats posted:

Honestly, if I had dropped a bunch of money on his Kickstarter, I'd be annoyed that the "9 days in a row of updates" turned out to be "Well, I've gone dark anyway, might as well build up a backlog for that 9 day thing and release them all at once" rather than "wait until I'm back to updating at my normal pace, and power through a 9 day run in there".

But I haven't given the dude a penny so I don't really care one way or the other.

He didn't have the backlog; he wasn't sure if he was going to be able to finish the 9 day thing, but he wanted to try. He said he'd do it again if he didn't manage to make it through all 9 days in a row.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He also did the 9 days in a row during a time when the wait would otherwise have been completely horrible.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Blackheart posted:

Also I've always felt bad for Rich, as a fellow artist my worst fears always involve somehow losing eyesight or injuring my hands. I don't know what I'd do if I ever lost the capacity to draw. (not that it wouldn't suck for basically anyone, of course)

I didn't blame the guy for injuring his thumb and needing a hiatus, but he did ten strips in ten days not too long ago, so its clearly possible for him to do a strip a week without pushing too hard. And I feel like there's a difference between "This is a free webcomic" and "I make a living from selling this comic strip to fans, and even got over a million dollars donated to my Kickstarter where I promised a ton of rewards, even though I can't keep a weekly schedule".

Much like the Game of Thrones books, it's just frustrating when the author of something you're invested in seems like a total flake.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I also figure he just gets writer's block pretty often but doesn't bother saying it.

Also unlike GRRM I don't think Rich has ever used the words "While on an indefinite hiatus from writing [Book Name], I..."

Anyway though this isn't about GRRM and his not writing, it's about GEE I SURE HOPE RICH IS OKAY

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think he officially has Chron's disease. He may have it but I don't think he ever officially says so, because I am sure earlier that I in jest said he must have Chron's disease after his blog post about his illness, without him ever saying what it was, and this somehow became canon. He didn't even describe symptoms in the post I responded to, just that it was chronic and sometimes debilitating.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lack of updates is a bummer but the comic's a) pretty good and b) free so I can deal with them, what I've always wondered is why he doesn't build a cache of comics in good times to have something to post in bad times. But then I remember my own short-lived foray into webcomicking where I swore up and down I'd do that and guess if it ever worked yout, c'mon, see if you can.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

My Lovely Horse posted:

Lack of updates is a bummer
Could always update like Erfworld!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rich, much like GRRM, is not your bitch.

Neil Gaiman, via [url posted:

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html[/url]]
Yes, it's unrealistic of you to think George is "letting you down".

Look, this may not be palatable, Gareth, and I keep trying to come up with a better way to put it, but the simplicity of things, at least from my perspective is this:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly George is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

No such contract existed. You were paying your ten dollars for the book you were reading, and I assume that you enjoyed it because you want to know what happens next.

And for Rich's stuff, you're not even paying ten bucks.

GOD drat I HOPE RICH IS OKAY because this thread gets toxic as gently caress after about a week.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ConfusedUs posted:

Rich, much like GRRM, is not your bitch.

I PAID HIM MONEY FOR SERVICES THAT WERE RECEIVED, THAT ENTITLES ME TO ALL HIS FUTURE TIME TOO

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Neil Gaiman posted:

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

The "every waking hour" part is a bit of a strawman, but I do feel like buying the first book in a series is indeed a sort of contract that the series will be completed in a reasonable amount of time. If you want to say that you're writing an epic story that goes beyond the scope of one book, you can't then turn around and say "You guys bought ONE book, no more!"

In terms of OotS, I bought several of his books based on the theory that the comic would continue, and I think that gives me some right to make a post on an internet forum bemoaning his lack of updates.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Hey, a bunch of new posts in the OotS thre-

Oh.

ConfusedUs posted:

GOD drat I HOPE RICH IS OKAY because this thread gets toxic as gently caress after about a week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

greatn posted:

I don't think he officially has Chron's disease. He may have it but I don't think he ever officially says so, because I am sure earlier that I in jest said he must have Chron's disease after his blog post about his illness, without him ever saying what it was, and this somehow became canon. He didn't even describe symptoms in the post I responded to, just that it was chronic and sometimes debilitating.

I think he refuses to elaborate publicly (understandable) but him having Chron's has been floating around for many years - long time before your joke - and he's mentioned a lot of symptoms that match up at times. If it's not Chron's it's definitely something similar.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Still better than Goblins. (The faintest of praises, I know.)

Anyway, I'm going to break a lance for the minority side of the debate:

It is unreasonable to demand anything that wasn't explicitly or even implicitly promised, yes. GRRM sold you one book at a time, not a subscription. Rich sold you magnets / reprints / colouring books, he has never sold you weekly updates, and therefore could not have cheated you out of them. (The # days in a row would have been cheating on a promise if his previous delay had been a lie to leasurely assemble them - I would consider "and I won't slow down for that series" an implicit promise - but there's abundant evidence that he really injured his hand so the issue is moot.)

However:

Neil Gaiman is wrong. His reader asked him: Is GRRM letting me down? And the answer to that is not a matter of (lack of) rights or entitlements. It's a matter of feeling. And GRRM has let his readers down with the delays and decrease in book quality. Rich has let his readers down when illness and injury forced him to update less than sporadically. Those are facts.

Now, GRRM might or might not, but Rich definitely has perfectly valid reasons for letting his readers down. And even if he didn't have then, it was entirely within his rights to let them down. He had every right to retreat to a Tibetan monastery right after a cliffhanger, if he had wanted to.

But nothing of that means he didn't let them down.

Which means that harassing Rich/GRRM is extremely not OK. But venting frustration, anger and disappointment? Entirely warranted. Entirely appropriate. Readers are not automatically entitled to content, but authors aren't entitled to continuous approval either, however much Gaiman may wish it.

Analogy time: if I give money to a beggar every day for a month, and then stop for whatever reason, I am letting that beggar down. Even though it is completely within my rights to do so, for any reason. Even if the reason I'm doing it is because I ran out of money and need to feed myself (in this analogy, it would be Rich being ill / injured). It doesn't entitle the beggar to piss on my doorstep. But I am not entitled to his smile and blessings, either.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 9, 2013

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Comparing Rich to GRRM is stupid because Rich is recovering from an injury and actually has a work ethic and so is still being productive despite his limited capabilities.

GRRM created a massive creative problem for himself which turned into writer's block, and instead of even acknowledging the problem he decided to blog about pizzas and sports while his own self-imposed and publicized deadlines came and went. For years.

Amazingly, yes, when someone exchanges cash for a specific good, it is not a continuing contract for future goods to be produced. This emphasis of the legal landscape ignores the reality of the situation, whereby an author, once in the middle of creating an intellectual property that has already been partially distributed, owes an informal obligation to the consumers to complete that property (e.g., finish the story). This obligation is usually viewed in a positive light, as a symbiotic relationship: the author wants continued (and more) readers, and the readers want continued (and more) creative product from the author.

When this relationship starts to break down, people start getting overly sensitive. On one side, you get idiots like Phenotype who expect an author to have absolutely no life outside of serving the consumers. On the other, you get white knights like Neil Gaiman who think an author can do no wrong because The Creative Process is a Special Thing That Cannot Be Criticized. Both of these extremes fail to see totality of the situation because they are so completely focused on their own special interest. Though "the truth is somewhere in the middle" is usually bullshit when the goalposts on each side are fabricated, it actually has validity here because both positions have legitimate interests.

My point to this is that Phenotype is dumb. Neil Gaiman is wrong. And Rich is pretty cool in my book.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, the big difference between GRRM and Burlew is that GRRM said in a postscript to one of his books 'You may notice this is only half of a book. I've split this part of the story in two, the next part will be out in one year' and [cut to Seven Years Later and a lot of blog posts about random other crap].

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

Where did the Crohn com from then? Also, GRRM is an worthless fucker so yeah he's way worse than Rich.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Oh cool, 28 response, must be an upd....:sweatdrop:

Really? We're having this conversation? God almighty. You guys sure you don't want to go back to D&D sperging? 'Cause this horse ain't just dead, it's glue. Or in your hamburgers if you're European.

Look, Rich's schedule was getting flaky even before the thumb. There had been several times where it had been more than two weeks between updates well before the Kickstarter, even. And knowing that he could be slow, we still gave him a million dollars. That's pretty much got to convince him that he's doing it right the way he is, delays and all.

And you know what, he may not be wrong. Yeah, he was able to do M-W-F early on, but compare those early strips to the current ones. The art is much better, and much more complex, than it was back then. The stories likewise have a greater amount of thought and planning in them. Yeah, its coming much slower than it was, but in exchange you're receiving a better product.

Is it worth it? That's for each of us to decide. Could be the wait's too painful for you. That's fair. Godspeed, and may you find a 'comic that's more your pace. Our Little Adventure is thataway. It's inferior to OotS in pretty much every way, but it does update several times a week.

If you're frustrated and just want to vent, I guess that's cool too, though it does spark "False Update" numbers like it did today, and that's kind of a pisser to those of us who use this thread as our alarm clock.

But if you expect that posting here, or even posting over on GitP, is going to speed things up, I'm afraid there's a million reasons why that's not going to happen.

Oh, and re: GRRM. If you think you're frustrated at the pace of the book releases, how do you think HBO feels? They've got two and a half books left to sustain their massive television hit, and if George can't get the last two books out in, say, the next four years or so, what the gently caress are they supposed to do then?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Call Now posted:

Where did the Crohn com from then? Also, GRRM is an worthless fucker so yeah he's way worse than Rich.

I... have no idea, I vaguely recall someone who went over his allusions to symptoms and concluded it had to be. You may be right and it's out of nowhere. But I do entirely believe Rich about how it's something debilitating on that level.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

jng2058 posted:

Oh, and re: GRRM. If you think you're frustrated at the pace of the book releases, how do you think HBO feels? They've got two and a half books left to sustain their massive television hit, and if George can't get the last two books out in, say, the next four years or so, what the gently caress are they supposed to do then?

I look forward toward what HBO comes up with for filler episodes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ursine Asylum posted:

I look forward toward what HBO comes up with for filler episodes.

A Game of Commercials.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

On one side, you get idiots like Phenotype who expect an author to have absolutely no life outside of serving the consumers.

I never said this at all. I said that, if this comic strip is his main source of income, he's doing his readers a disservice by the lack of updates. Asking for a strip a week is not expecting him to have no life, especially when he just proved he can churn out a good strip in a day when his nose is to the grindstone. It seems either lazy or just ambivalent towards fans of the strip.

I'm really shocked at the amount of bad feeling I seem to have generated, too. Why do people feel the need to tell me I can't be frustrated by what seems like unprofessionalism/lack of motivation by an author who I've supported?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Game of Thrones filler I hope is like DBZ filler, just completely nonsensical, like having to get a driver's license.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I don't know why you guys feel the need to go THREAD GETS REAL TOXIC then start lobbing strawmen around.

People want Rich to be happy and productive. No one wants to beat him til he bleeds comics or something.

greatn posted:

Game of Thrones filler I hope is like DBZ filler, just completely nonsensical, like having to get a driver's license.
I hope it's like DBZ:A but starring Tyrion.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Neil Gaiman is wrong. His reader asked him: Is GRRM letting me down? And the answer to that is not a matter of (lack of) rights or entitlements. It's a matter of feeling.

Anyone who feels that way has an undiagnosed brain tumor. There is no justifiable way to feel that way. If someone feels that way, they are entirely in the wrong, and should see a therapist.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

jng2058 posted:

They'll just finish the series for him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Tinyn posted:

Anyone who feels that way has an undiagnosed brain tumor. There is no justifiable way to feel that way. If someone feels that way, they are entirely in the wrong, and should see a therapist.

Well, that's just silly to say. If you're writing a series, each individual book tends to be diminished individually. You get to ignore things like cliffhangers, unresolved mysteries, and even plotting on a book-to-book basis because critics are expected to judge the series as a whole. If you buy into a series, you are indeed justified in expecting a conclusion in a reasonable timeframe or to be disappointed when the author fails to deliver, because by definition, you are buying an uncompleted work with the implicit promise of more to come.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Fighting Trousers posted:

They'll just finish the series for him.

And given that I wasn't as enthralled with Dance of Dragons1 as I had been previous books, that may even be for the best. But it'd still be a shame if GRRM fails to make it, though. You know, the way Wheel of Time fans can't help but wonder what it'd have been like if Robert Jordan had lived to see the series out to its conclusion and all that.

You'd like to see the man manage to get it done. And hell, I know he's cut down on his convention appearances, scaled back on his other writing commitments, and even skipped the Clarion Workshop this year, so who knows? Maybe it'll happen.

1 = Mind you, I think part of the problems with DoD, and especially A Feast for Crows before it was the misconceived notion of splitting the book in two not chronologically, but by characters, so that many of the characters and plotlines you cared most about weren't even in one book or the other. Bad call, George.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Tinyn posted:

Did you post this ironically? I can't tell. It's a pretty normal emotion to like a thing sometimes, and to want more of it, and to feel slight disappointment at the absence of that thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

melon farmer posted:

Did you post this ironically? I can't tell. It's a pretty normal emotion to like a thing sometimes, and to want more of it, and to feel slight disappointment at the absence of that thing.

It's fine to be disappointed in it but people don't need to whine in here about it.

The thread doesn't need to devolve into the same arguments regards updates, Goblins or which version of DnD is better just because the comic is quiet.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Phenotype posted:

Well, that's just silly to say. If you're writing a series, each individual book tends to be diminished individually. You get to ignore things like cliffhangers, unresolved mysteries, and even plotting on a book-to-book basis because critics are expected to judge the series as a whole. If you buy into a series, you are indeed justified in expecting a conclusion in a reasonable timeframe or to be disappointed when the author fails to deliver, because by definition, you are buying an uncompleted work with the implicit promise of more to come.

And more will come, just not when you demand it. What specifically is making it so hard for you to grasp that concept?

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
:siren:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0883.html:siren:

New strip!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yyyyyyooooooouuuuuuuuu insufferable fucker.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ahahahahaha

You just made the entire derail worth it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Shugojin posted:

Yyyyyyooooooouuuuuuuuu insufferable fucker.

:frogdowns::respek::frogdowns:

That was just cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

my dad posted:

A Game of Commercials.

Oglaf: The HBO series.