Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Nothing wrong with the filters in certain cases, just seems like K&N is the Bose of the filter market. Good marketing, overpriced, dubious claims of superiority, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good ol' R/R / Stator connector fire. Rewiring time.

(yes, this bike is cursed.)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 9, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Cursed? I could have sworn its name was Lucas.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Good ol' R/R / Stator connector fire. Rewiring time.

(yes, this bike is cursed.)

Called it! :P

I wouldn't say the bike is cursed, I'd say the brand is.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh well, I love Corsa (http://www.corsa-technic.com/) - OEM connectors for hella cheap.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Tried getting rid of the old fuel-stabilised pre-winter gas and replacing it with premium to see if that would solve my pinging problem, but no dice. Going to have to get into this, I think. On the upside, the new valves actually make the thing able to run without choke after about 10 seconds vs. a few minutes pre-rebuild, so that's a plus.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I went from my engine looking like this

to looking like this

She'll yet live again! :wooper:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that clutch extremely large, or is the barrel relatively small? I haven't really dicked around with classic bikes and the proportions look weird to my modernised eyes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Perfectly fine for a UJM-style engine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The clutch plates are about the same diameter as a CD. Keep in mind that about half the engine still isn't installed...it gets a lot taller and bulkier looking when the head is on. That might make the clutch look more proportionate.

I had to pop the cylinder block back off because I forgot the little O-rings that go around the base of the cylinder sleeves. They are a gigantic pain in the rear end to get seated properly, though apparently this is normal and expected from what I've read. If I don't get them seated, the block "floats" about 1.5mm above the base gasket, though it's possible that they would seat properly if I just stacked the engine up and torqued it down. Some people do that and report success. Anyone have a good suggestion for seating an O-ring into a groove that is just a little bit too small?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
3M spray adhesive.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The clutch plates are about the same diameter as a CD. Keep in mind that about half the engine still isn't installed...it gets a lot taller and bulkier looking when the head is on. That might make the clutch look more proportionate.

I had to pop the cylinder block back off because I forgot the little O-rings that go around the base of the cylinder sleeves. They are a gigantic pain in the rear end to get seated properly, though apparently this is normal and expected from what I've read. If I don't get them seated, the block "floats" about 1.5mm above the base gasket, though it's possible that they would seat properly if I just stacked the engine up and torqued it down. Some people do that and report success. Anyone have a good suggestion for seating an O-ring into a groove that is just a little bit too small?

You know what else gets taller and bulkier with some head?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

3M spray adhesive.

I stacked the engine back together temporarily and tightened down the inner four stud nuts to about half their actual fastening torque, and that squooshed the cylinder block down just fine, so problem solved.

But are you serious? Spray the thing with glue and literally just glue the O-ring into place? Is that a common thing? I could see how that works, but it seems really counterintuitive -- I was oiling it up to try to cram it inside. I would definitely think that glue would make it worse.

Tamir Lenk posted:

You know what else gets taller and bulkier with some head?

:ssh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I stacked the engine back together temporarily and tightened down the inner four stud nuts to about half their actual fastening torque, and that squooshed the cylinder block down just fine, so problem solved.

But are you serious? Spray the thing with glue and literally just glue the O-ring into place? Is that a common thing? I could see how that works, but it seems really counterintuitive -- I was oiling it up to try to cram it inside. I would definitely think that glue would make it worse.

:ssh:

If you spray the ring itself and let it dry to a tack, then put it where it needs to go without oil, it sticks well. Bonus if it's an oil passage O-ring, because the first run of oil will wash away whatever real adhesive is left.

If the O-ring itself fits well but simply falls out sometimes during installation, you can paste over it with vaseline.

Another option is to alternately heat it in very hot air (heatgun maybe) then very (ice) cold water, if it's one of the brown "gas-resistant" oil rings. I'm an Optician and do this for those zyl (plastic) glasses frames where either the lens was ground slightly too small or the frame has stretched from inserting/removing lenses too much. Lenses popping out? Take the lenses out, heat the frame to very-near-melting with the hot air blower, dip quickly in cold water. Do this a couple of times and the frame has shrunk just enough to grip the lens tightly.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I've just always used grease to stick o-rings.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, yeah, you've got it backwards. I wasn't having problems getting the o-rings to stick in place, I was unable to get the ring crammed into the groove it was supposed to fit in. I'd push it down in one place and it would pop up in another, and if I worked it around with a blunt screwdriver I'd end up with about half an inch of extra o-ring in a loop. Basically the ring was the right internal diameter, but a little wider than the groove.

Got it seated eventually anyway, though.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
What did I do to my ride today?

I sold it. :smith:

I'll get a new one once I get all moved down to Seattle.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

What did I do to my ride today?

I sold it. :smith:

I'll get a new one once I get all moved down to Seattle.

I look forward to your "I bought a new one! :dance:" post in the coming weeks.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

Spray on glue

Genius. Totally trying this next time I'm in that situation.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

SB35 posted:

I look forward to your "I bought a new one! :dance:" post in the coming weeks.

It'll probably be more like in a few months, once the house sells.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Ducati rotors on a yamaha. :D

the 600 rotors were too little after the front end modifications so I went to rotors from a 748

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

It'll probably be more like in a few months, once the house sells.

Are you insane, going that long without a bike??? Someone get this man a bike, as soon as possible!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I bolted the side panels and panniers back on the KLR, removed the windshield, and took it on a shakedown cruise to work! Only one butt-clenching moment!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Odette posted:

Are you insane, going that long without a bike??? Someone get this man a bike, as soon as possible!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/3726738902.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/3730749870.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3729904715.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/3736299982.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/3736195014.html

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Swapped the black painted side fairings with some ones in nice condition on CL for a more OEM look, bled the front brakes, went to the DMV and got it registered and title transferred to me, and drilled a new hole for my replacement license plate since the previous owner lost it somehow.

Gotta love having the vacuum bleeder.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

infraboy posted:

Gotta love having the vacuum bleeder.
Fuuuuck I want one of those. They're magic.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Fuuuuck I want one of those. They're magic.

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV683...c+brake+bleeder

You can also get the non-kit version for 125$

It's a great tool to have, especially if you have a bunch of bikes. Kind of on par with having nice air compressor and impact gun.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

infraboy posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV683...c+brake+bleeder

You can also get the non-kit version for 125$

It's a great tool to have, especially if you have a bunch of bikes. Kind of on par with having nice air compressor and impact gun.

Whats a good non-Vacuum cheap bleeder for motorcycles?

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Nice, this thing owns.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hmm, for motorbikes you never need to pull as much fluid as that. I wonder if you could just bodge the same thing with a couple of check valves, a comically large veterinarian syringe, some tubing/fittings and a catch jar...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ElMaligno posted:

8mm wrench and some hose.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

8mm wrench and some hose.

And some speed-bleeder valves.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ElMaligno posted:

I just picked up a standard bleeder from the local car parts store. Nothing fancy. It was like five or ten bucks for a plastic container with a bunch of hoses and nozzles. You still have to do the standard "open-pump-close-release" but having the proper hoses and a contained, now spill system is nice.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I'm a few days late, but I cleaned and greased the main ground, cleaned the neutral indicator and replaced the starter relay in an attempt to hunt down the starting issues I experienced with the Multi last year. I was also planning to change the oil, but nobody carries the loving filter, so I had to order it online. Guess I'll do that this weekend. Might bleed the brakes too, but apparently I have to remove the rear wheel to get the back brake, so I'll see if I feel like doing that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Tamir Lenk posted:

And some speed-bleeder valves.

gently caress yes. I put Speed Bleeders on everything I own, soo good.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Speaking of which, I put speed bleeders on my SV last night, and now I can't get them to bleed. I had to drain nearly all of the brake fluid out of both systems to keep from getting fluid everywhere, and when I put all the SB in, I couldn't get fluid to cycle through.

Can an excessive amount of air in the lines prevent normal bleeding?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes and when you pop the old bleed fitting off not much fluid comes out. I swapped mine to speed bleeders last week without an issue.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Paff. I was going to get a vacuum bleeder eventually, am I going to have to use one now to clear that out?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I zip-tied the indicator relay in place behind the instruments so it wouldn't rattle around. I hate when stuff rattles and I can hear it over the antisocial-loud pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Put the speed triple throttle tube on my street triple. Wow. I know it's not any faster or anything but it just feels way more alive. The bike just shoots forward in 2nd and 3rd with really light input. I didn't find it too bad at all in traffic or at low speeds either. Best 15 bucks I have ever spent on a bike.