Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Fister Roboto posted:

Texas is almost impossible to play in vanilla. Surviving the war with Mexico depends on the US intervening on your behalf, but in my experience, nine times out of ten, the US will forge an alliance with Mexico. This won't make them join the war on Mexico's side, but it means they also won't intervene on yours.

Yeah I think NNM might change something there (I think it lowers Mexico and the USA's starting relations?) because after jumping over to NNM, I always see the USA jump over on Texas' side the second Mexico takes a province from Texas. I've won before as Texas without the USA's help, but it mostly relies on exploiting the fact the AI has no idea how terrain works and standing in Texas' one province that has good terrain bonus, and crushing armies when Mexico sends 2 units to siege a province or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Fister Roboto posted:

Texas is almost impossible to play in vanilla. Surviving the war with Mexico depends on the US intervening on your behalf, but in my experience, nine times out of ten, the US will forge an alliance with Mexico. This won't make them join the war on Mexico's side, but it means they also won't intervene on yours.

In vanilla Victoria 2, you can win your war of independence by parking Sam Houston's guards and artillery in San Antonio, then sending out your cavalry to capture Mexican land. You can even capture enough to demand all Texas cores and New Mexico.

In A House Divided they fixed all of that and now Texas is pretty tough to build up. I hope the crisis system in HoD makes Texas a little more viable. I've always thought there should be a "You captured Santa Anna!" event that has a chance of triggering each time you engage a Mexican army which makes Mexico agree to peace. It's how the totally overmatched Texans won independence in real life.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrProsek posted:

I would totally recommend Denmark, since it's not THAT much harder than Sweden, but I tend to notice Prussia will take Greenland and Iceland from you for little to no reason, in addition to taking the provinces they need to found Germany (which late game will make fascists which isn't a bad thing, but it's kinda bad for teaching a person how to play if they are forced to eventually use only one political party (although in my Free States game, I saw Denmark and Norway go hard Communist, flag change and all for about 30 years before both suddenly became fascist), while Sweden I rarely if ever see get DoW'd.
Yeah, Prussia is the obvious (and really only) danger to Denmark, and trying to defuse it is basically what you need to focus on while becoming a great power yourself and sphering the other Nordic states. Do that, and you have united Scandinavia under its proper masters. :denmark:

DrProsek posted:

Playing Norway is basically the second worst country choice, right ahead of playing as one of Britain's Indian puppet countries. In order to play the drat game, you need a) rebels to overthrow you or b) win a war with the UK, you're probably uncivilized, and even if you do somehow break free of English rule, you are surrounded on all sides by them, AND they probably still have a few of your cores so look forward to fascists late game (although they will help in getting together the manpower to reclaim India, they will make the other Indian cultures not want to work with you).
I know you're talking about the Indian puppets in most of this section, but the way you wrote it it makes it seem like you're talking about Norway. I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at the idea that Norway is an uncivilized nation in Victoria 2. :v:

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

DrProsek posted:

Yeah I think NNM might change something there (I think it lowers Mexico and the USA's starting relations?) because after jumping over to NNM, I always see the USA jump over on Texas' side the second Mexico takes a province from Texas. I've won before as Texas without the USA's help, but it mostly relies on exploiting the fact the AI has no idea how terrain works and standing in Texas' one province that has good terrain bonus, and crushing armies when Mexico sends 2 units to siege a province or something.

To give credit to the AI that's exactly how the Texan war for independence went.

The problem with the Texan revolution in the game is that Mexico was undergoing a ton of other instability (the Texas revolt was part of a wider liberal revolt) and needed the mass of its army at home to keep the peace, but that can't really be simulated unless Mexico starts with a bunch of rebels in 36.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, Prussia is the obvious (and really only) danger to Denmark, and trying to defuse it is basically what you need to focus on while becoming a great power yourself and sphering the other Nordic states. Do that, and you have united Scandinavia under its proper masters. :denmark:
If you could ally Prussia somehow, then Denmark becomes one of the best beginner nations. I don't think they'd ever accept, but it would be worth a shot! Maybe ally Austria and France to get them to gently caress off...

quote:

I know you're talking about the Indian puppets in most of this section, but the way you wrote it it makes it seem like you're talking about Norway. I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at the idea that Norway is an uncivilized nation in Victoria 2. :v:

Compared to glorious Sverige? All are uncivilized! :sweden:.

Yeah I transitioned that poorly :v:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

DrProsek posted:

Huh, I actually never had UK DoW on me, except if I try to press into Mexico farther that taking the provinces that get cored with Manifest Destiny. Plus by mid game they can only ferry over 20 or so soldiers at a time, so you can just slaughter anyone who gets off of the boat.

Eh? In my V2 AHD APD USA game, the UK would regularly park 150k dudes in Canada ready to invade. Because I prioritized development (education and admin sliders) over military growth, they kicked my poo poo in once or twice.

It was only later that I had a shitton of money. Then social reforms (dammit Obama) took care of that problem.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mandalay posted:

Eh? In my V2 AHD APD USA game, the UK would regularly park 150k dudes in Canada ready to invade. Because I prioritized development (education and admin sliders) over military growth, they kicked my poo poo in once or twice.

It was only later that I had a shitton of money. Then social reforms (dammit Obama) took care of that problem.

Huh.... how odd. Only thing I can think of is maybe I just get lucky with them needing to pull those soldiers for a European war, but I never have any wars with the UK as the USA... maybe your relations are poor? Try maintaining 50 relations at all times, they shouldn't be able to fabricate a claim on you and in turn should not have any CBs. There's the one decision that drops your relation with all GPs by about 100, maybe that's making them want to invade?

a bad enough dude posted:

To give credit to the AI that's exactly how the Texan war for independence went.

The problem with the Texan revolution in the game is that Mexico was undergoing a ton of other instability (the Texas revolt was part of a wider liberal revolt) and needed the mass of its army at home to keep the peace, but that can't really be simulated unless Mexico starts with a bunch of rebels in 36.

Yeah I see Yucatan and sometimes the Rio Grande break off and revolt but always LONG after Texas is resolved. Honestly having every Mexican subnation already be at war with Mexico might be a good place to start, although it would make it easier for a Mexico player to reunite and keep stability.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrProsek posted:

If you could ally Prussia somehow, then Denmark becomes one of the best beginner nations. I don't think they'd ever accept, but it would be worth a shot! Maybe ally Austria and France to get them to gently caress off...
Austria is generally pretty happy to ally with me, and then I just try to buddy up with Russia. Russia was after all what saved Denmark in round 1 in real life. (Even if it caused us to believe we could beat Prussia, Austria and friends all by ourselves in round 2. :downsgun: )

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BillBear posted:

I guess its my Army, i mostly build Infantry and early tank divisions. I shift a decent part of my industry to the Luftwaffe as well during the peace years. Maybe i was too slow? I'll try again soon.

Are you building enough HQs? You want to have one HQ per 3 provinces of front-line you have. (Your troops in the area with the HQ as well as any in neighbouring provinces get the HQ bonus)

Germany gets more out of HQs than any other country, last I looked.

I did a German AAR in this thread on the official forums, maybe that'll give you some pointers. Scroll down.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Affi posted:

So yeah all my flags are still just black, anyone know a fix to this? (EU3)

Delete the flag cache. I don't have access to a computer to check the exact file name, but it should be in the flags directory, and will be the large dds file.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Regarding fun V2 countries, releasing Java and dicking around in Oceania is always fun. It's pretty easy to westernize and industrialize with the population you start with. Plus trying to form Indonesia in NNM/PDM is a good challenge.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Is 5.1 the latest patch for EU3?

Also, any big changes I should be aware of/make before playing? I only ever played up to Heir to the Throne but just picked up Chronicles for free thanks to this thread (thanks KoldPT!) so I'll be diving into Divine Wind.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Gort posted:

Are you building enough HQs? You want to have one HQ per 3 provinces of front-line you have. (Your troops in the area with the HQ as well as any in neighbouring provinces get the HQ bonus)

I did a German AAR in this thread on the official forums, maybe that'll give you some pointers. Scroll down.

Thanks, seems like a good guide i'll give it a shot.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

vyelkin posted:

Is 5.1 the latest patch for EU3?

Also, any big changes I should be aware of/make before playing? I only ever played up to Heir to the Throne but just picked up Chronicles for free thanks to this thread (thanks KoldPT!) so I'll be diving into Divine Wind.

There's a 5.2 beta patch, which is a huge improvement, IMO.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nightblade posted:

There's a 5.2 beta patch, which is a huge improvement, IMO.

Thanks, got that now plus the 2 GB RAM fix from the OP.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For those of you in this thread who somehow still don't have Europa Universalis, 3, Gamefly, for whatever reason, is giving away EU3 Chronicles for free. http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Europa-Universalis-III-Chronicles/5000728/ (If the link doesn't work, just search for the game there.)

Note that it doesn't redeem on Steam, but like all of Paradox's games, it's still DRM free.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

For those of you in this thread who somehow still don't have Europa Universalis, 3, Gamefly, for whatever reason, is giving away EU3 Chronicles for free. http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Europa-Universalis-III-Chronicles/5000728/ (If the link doesn't work, just search for the game there.)

Note that it doesn't redeem on Steam, but like all of Paradox's games, it's still DRM free.

I already own two copies of this game, but this is awesome, thanks for sharing!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

DrProsek posted:

E:^^^^^^
OOh, South Africa is a good choice! If you're playing NNM or APD, Oranje or Transvaal can also be cool, but you basically need to be really good at blitzing Capetown.

Huh, I actually never had UK DoW on me, except if I try to press into Mexico farther that taking the provinces that get cored with Manifest Destiny. Plus by mid game they can only ferry over 20 or so soldiers at a time, so you can just slaughter anyone who gets off of the boat.

I would totally recommend Denmark, since it's not THAT much harder than Sweden, but I tend to notice Prussia will take Greenland and Iceland from you for little to no reason, in addition to taking the provinces they need to found Germany (which late game will make fascists which isn't a bad thing, but it's kinda bad for teaching a person how to play if they are forced to eventually use only one political party (although in my Free States game, I saw Denmark and Norway go hard Communist, flag change and all for about 30 years before both suddenly became fascist), while Sweden I rarely if ever see get DoW'd.

Playing Norway is basically the second worst country choice, right ahead of playing as one of Britain's Indian puppet countries. In order to play the drat game, you need a) rebels to overthrow you or b) win a war with the UK, you're probably uncivilized, and even if you do somehow break free of English rule, you are surrounded on all sides by them, AND they probably still have a few of your cores so look forward to fascists late game (although they will help in getting together the manpower to reclaim India, they will make the other Indian cultures not want to work with you).

Prestige techs into GP, sphere Sweden and Denmark. Seems pretty easy to me.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Prestige techs into GP, sphere Sweden and Denmark. Seems pretty easy to me.

Don't you need parts of Finland? I may be recalling wrong, it's been a while since I played Scandinavia (Iberia for life :spain::hf: ).

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 9, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrProsek posted:

Don't you need parts of Finland? I may be recalling wrong, it's been a while since I played Scandinavia (Iberia for life :spain::hf::portugal: ).

Can someone please make a :portugal: with Ubik crying on the flag? TIA.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

V for Vegas posted:

Can someone please make a :portugal: with Ubik crying on the flag? TIA.

The resolution gets pretty lovely when its this small. I figure leaving it as is would be the Ubik thing to do.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The resolution gets pretty lovely when its this small. I figure leaving it as is would be the Ubik thing to do.

This is glorious. This should be in the OP, I can see this image getting a lot of use.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrProsek posted:

Don't you need parts of Finland? I may be recalling wrong, it's been a while since I played Scandinavia (Iberia for life :spain::hf::portugal: ).
I guess this depends on the mods. In PDM, you need to sphere Finland, on top of the other two Scandinavian states, which can be a bit of a bother since Finland is already a Russian satellite. Which frankly doesn't make much sense, given that it's a nationalist project. At least not for Norway and Denmark, I guess Sweden might be a bit more pumped to include Finland than the other two. Having Sweden have a higher requirement would make sense from a gameplay perspective, since Sweden already has the best conditions for becoming a GP and the best position for influencing the others, though this higher requirement should of course also mean Finland joined Scandinavia.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

:golfclap:

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

DrProsek posted:

This is glorious. This should be in the OP, I can see this image getting a lot of use.

I will find a place for it shortly.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Gort posted:

The guide helped me by quite a bit, I got further into France and managed to beat them. However i suffered far more losses then the allies and I was too slow in conquering France, it took me until early 1941.
Also Italy never offered to join me.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
By the way you can order Heart of Darkness on the Paradox site. They give you a steam key, put it in and voila. You now own Heart of Darkness (except you can't play it yet :negative). http://www.paradoxplaza.com/shop There isn't going to be a pre-order on Steam they said.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I NEED SOME HOD. I'm looking at Victoria II on steam and I can't play because I'm saving myself for marriage hearts of darkness.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

What? "A Heart of Darkness" ?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Baloogan posted:

What? "A Heart of Darkness" ?

Subtle jab at the player for presiding over such a ruthless and tyrannical empire.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Subtle jab at the player for presiding over such a ruthless and tyrannical empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXa-P2_g7M4

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DrProsek posted:

E:^^^^^^
OOh, South Africa is a good choice! If you're playing NNM or APD, Oranje or Transvaal can also be cool, but you basically need to be really good at blitzing Capetown.

Seth Efrica is an excellent choice, because for a newbie they're a nice out of the way power who are extremely unlikely to be bothered by anyone for a very long time, but they've got a titanic continent they can look to once you're getting better at the game. Uniting the entirety of Africa under SA's leadership is a huge challenge even when you know what you're doing, but playing a couple of games as them (or even more) and increasing your objectives each time seems like it could be a great way to learn the game.

Texaschat: Second game of V2 I ever played was as Texas. The US stepped in to help out right away which was awful nice of them, then they sphered half the loving planet, including myself and Mexico. This was good inasmuch as it prevented me being invaded by them. It was bad because I wasn't actually able to expand in North or Central America.

e; for learning how to unciv you could do worse than Persia. You've got to worry about the Russian Bear and sometimes the Brits, but you've got a bunch of central Asian states you can expand into, the Arabian peninsula is usually a possibility, and unless the Turks manage to keep their poo poo together (occasional but not unheard of) you can move against them too. Afghanistan is similar but has a weaker start and is closer to British India.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 10, 2013

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I've been finding my game as Japan in Vicky 2 really fun.

If you start with the A House Divided start date, you can skip basically all of the Westernization. Once you're done with that, you're pretty comfortably in Secondary Power status. After that, there are plenty of things you could do; Russia holds some islands in the north that you have claims on, you're in the US's sphere of influence, there are a fair number of unsphered nations throughout East/Southeast Asia, and there are still some uncolonized/uncivilized islands in the Pacific.

I started by putting my national focuses on getting 2% clergy in every province, then capitalists and craftsmen in key areas (especially in Edo). Meanwhile, I researched Guards and steam ships, disbanded my army and recruited a modern one in its place, and established a protectorate over Hawaii. Once I had a respectable army and navy, I broke out of the US's sphere and they declared war to re-sphere me. I'm not sure what route they took, but they skipped over Hawaii and their navy took a bunch of attrition, so I won most of my battles pretty easily. I held out long enough that they eventually offered a white peace, which I took. After that, I basically sat back and let my growing industry and modern military take me into Great Power status.

Once I was a Great Power, I got as much of Asia into my sphere of influence as possible (starting with China, of course). My industry and economy really took off while I was doing that, then a Great War broke out between the UK, Russia, and Austria and France, Italy, Spain, and the North German Federation. I took the opportunity to press my claims and joined on the side of France, occupying half of Russia (the NGF took the other half) and all of Ireland. The UK eventually offered to make peace with me and give me the Russian-held islands I had claims on, so I took that (since the war had hit a stalemate). Then the Ottoman Empire invaded Egypt to take over Suez, so I boosted my standing with Egypt, intervened on their behalf, and (peacefully) added them to my sphere of influence, so I could be the one to build the Suez Canal and secure an easy route from Japan to Europe for myself. After that, I researched all of the culture techs, and got my prestige, industrial power, and military power each within the top 5, basically guaranteeing me a permanent spot as a Great Power until the end of the game.

Sorry, I guess that went from "I think Japan is a pretty fun country to play as a relative newcomer" to me just gushing about how much fun I've been having this game. Way better than my non-AHD Brazil game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Seth Efrica is an excellent choice, because for a newbie they're a nice out of the way power who are extremely unlikely to be bothered by anyone for a very long time, but they've got a titanic continent they can look to once you're getting better at the game. Uniting the entirety of Africa under SA's leadership is a huge challenge even when you know what you're doing, but playing a couple of games as them (or even more) and increasing your objectives each time seems like it could be a great way to learn the game.

Yeah, Oranj is pretty good because they start with iron and coal, and if you annex Transvaal, you get a bunch of provinces that eventually produce precious metals (diamonds). Only problem is you start as a presidential dictatorship, and you're stuck with a laissez-faire party, so it's pretty much impossible to get your industry off the ground until you pass some reforms.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Also there aren't too many Boers so it's hard to build too many guards and bureaucrats, but if you liberalize enough you can try to attract immigrants over to South Africa and assimilate them to boost your numbers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the decision that's supposed to attracted Boer immigrants from British South Africa literally doesn't work.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
This is incredible and it's going right into my dialect coach bag of tricks. Global South accents are such a pain in the rear end to find resources for. I have more documentation for friggin Trini than I have for Aussie or Kiwi.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Fister Roboto posted:

Also the decision that's supposed to attracted Boer immigrants from British South Africa literally doesn't work.

I hope there's a decision to kill all Boers and British in South Africa in HoD.

Or I can mod one in!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Necroneocon posted:

I hope there's a decision to kill all Boers and British in South Africa in HoD.

Or I can mod one in!

Not sure if you're joking or not, but Paradox has always been adamant about their games never directly mentioning genocide in any way, shape, or form. You could easily mod in a decision like that, if you really wanted to, but in the vanilla game there are never going to be any 'exterminate an entire population' decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Not sure if you're joking or not, but Paradox has always been adamant about their games never directly mentioning genocide in any way, shape, or form. You could easily mod in a decision like that, if you really wanted to, but in the vanilla game there are never going to be any 'exterminate an entire population' decisions.

The GSG mod I play around with has a "Remove Undesirables" decision for Fascists the reduce the population of all unaccepted cultures by 65%, decrease their growth rate, and make their CON and MIL skyrocket and give you some infamy so I'm sure you could do the same for SA to specifically target Boers and Brits.

No idea why you'd want either of those decisions in game though. Like I get maximum Hitler, but poo poo like exporting all Croatians to Australia is hilarious. poo poo like a genocide Boers button.... eh too far :(.

• Locked thread