Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yoshifan823 posted:

Now really though, you aren't forcibly chaste.

This is me in real life.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm not really sure if this is even an answerable question, or maybe I'm just imagining it, but.

What's up with early Hollywood's (I might be off on "early") fascination with the Roman empire? More specifically it seems like a good portion of it is dealing with Christianity within the upper classes of Rome, and it seems like there's a ton of it. Is it just the usual Hollywood deal of "Oh poo poo, Ben-Hur was crazy popular, more of that!"?

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 9, 2013

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I don't think there were all that many. Ben-Hur did seem to cause a rise in the number of Ancient Rome movies made, but most of those were cheap Italian movies. They probably figured they could put on togas, go to some ruins and make movies for cheap that look like they have high production values and sell them to Drive-ins for an easy profit.

Here's all the movies on IMDB with keyword "ancient rome" that were made in the US. I'm sure this isn't complete but there's only 50 listed:
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=0&countries=us&keywords=ancient-rome&release_date=1800,2013&sort=year,desc&title_type=feature

Orv
May 4, 2011
If the amount of stuff I see on TCM at three in the morning is any indication then yeah, that's not nearly complete. The Italian angle seems to hold true though.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
That might be more indicative of a TCM obsession with those movies than Hollywood's.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah absolutely. They're all about the weird 60s low budget historical films.

E: Which I guess I totally love, so there's that. :unsmith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 9, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Have the Coen Bros. ever said why Fargo opens with the fake "true story" caption? There's all sorts of ways to interpret it in the film but I wonder if it started out as just a whim or wanting to play a joke on the audience, or if they'd already thought about the movie's themes and thought this worked with them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Yeah absolutely. They're all about the weird 60s low budget historical films.

E: Which I guess I totally love, so there's that. :unsmith:

Those films probably happen to be real cheap to license to broadcast.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Maxwell Lord posted:

Have the Coen Bros. ever said why Fargo opens with the fake "true story" caption? There's all sorts of ways to interpret it in the film but I wonder if it started out as just a whim or wanting to play a joke on the audience, or if they'd already thought about the movie's themes and thought this worked with them.

quote:

Joel: No. It says it was a true story at the beginning, but it was actually all made up. We wanted to write a movie that was a "true story" sort of genre. We thought that if we did something where we told the audience up front was a true story, that they'd allow you to do things they wouldn't normally allow you to do, if they thought it was fiction. So it allowed us to introduce the heroine after 40 minutes without pissing people off. Or Fran's scene with the Japanese guy that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the plot. It'll make people more accepting if they're not prepped for a thriller. That way they'll be like "Well, it must've happened this way, 'cause it's true, right?"

http://thehollywoodinterview.blogspot.com/2008/02/coen-brothers-hollywood-interview.html

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Didn't think of it that way but it's very clever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That's brilliant. I've always loved the movie, and that's just amazing.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I need to brush up on all the great musicals, because I haven't seen most of them. I've seen Singin' in the Rain and Sound of Music, and I figure I need to see Cabaret, All That Jazz, Mary Poppins, Chicago, West Side Story. So what others are essential musicals (or non-essential but are awesome anyways)?

Also, does anyone know how that Buster Keaton "Jump into the suitcase" stunt is done in Sherlock Jr.? Was talking with a friend, we couldn't figure it out. Is it just good editing?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Off the top of my head, essential and/or interesting and I'm probably gonna miss a bunch of the early ones:

The Music Man (possibly the most perfect musical ever)
Dancer In The Dark
New York, New York
Nine (I'm iffy about putting this on here because it's such a terrible translation but it's got some killer numbers)
Sweeney Todd (iffy about this too, given that you can watch the original stage production and Burton doesn't bring much to the table)
The Singing Detective
Moulin Rouge!
Gypsy
Forbidden Zone
Pennies From Heaven (a little blunt but come on)
Popeye
Grease
The Wiz (audacious, if flawed)
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (Cheer Up Charlie is secretly the best song)
My Fair Lady (I hate the message but the music is terrific)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DetoxP posted:

Also, does anyone know how that Buster Keaton "Jump into the suitcase" stunt is done in Sherlock Jr.? Was talking with a friend, we couldn't figure it out. Is it just good editing?

God, I'm watching the shot over and over (Sherlock Jr. is probably my favorite Keaton), and for the life of me I can't figure it out. I'm fairly certain it's not an editing trick, it's some kind of physical trick. However it's done, it's loving brilliant.

The scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA8rrAqip8E

EDIT: You know, this is why I love Keaton and why I adore old school special effects. This kind of stuff amazes me more than the best SFX Hollywood can produce.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Phantom of the Paradise is one of the very best musicals ever made.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

caiman posted:

God, I'm watching the shot over and over (Sherlock Jr. is probably my favorite Keaton), and for the life of me I can't figure it out. I'm fairly certain it's not an editing trick, it's some kind of physical trick. However it's done, it's loving brilliant.

The scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA8rrAqip8E

EDIT: You know, this is why I love Keaton and why I adore old school special effects. This kind of stuff amazes me more than the best SFX Hollywood can produce.

If I had to venture a guess the tie lady's dress is blocking a hole in the wood (which you can see behind her, it looks like a door), and she's being held up somehow so Keaton can jump through the hole under her, and then she's lowered down and steps out.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Busby Berkeley musicals like Gold Diggers of 1933 and 42nd Street are essential, as are Astaire and Rogers musicals like Swing Time and Top Hat. This list from a BFI book is pretty varied and probably covers most of the key points.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DetoxP posted:

I think it's editing, he jumps through a tunnel and the suitcase dude is basically just the head and arms at that point, camera stops and the suitcase dude is re positioned to be standing and they start filming again. I don't have a source, but there's a slight jankiness to the footage right after the stunt that makes me suspect that's the case.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The body of the guy with the suitcase is up above the case, either scrunched up on some platform or attached to a backboard that looks like the fence. When Buster jumps through the guy drops into or is swung down into the dress and walks away. You can see when he does a spin that he grabs the dress to hold it together, though you can still make out a slit in the back of the it. Also, the part of the fence behind him is roughly person-shaped, which makes me think the strapped to a backboard and swung down into the dress thing is probably how they did it. It's pretty fast and hard to see, though, but I'm pretty sure it was all done at once and not editing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
No one ever mentions How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and that is a crime.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Maxwell Lord posted:

Phantom of the Paradise is one of the very best musicals ever made.

You spelled "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park" strangely.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Unmature posted:

No one ever mentions How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and that is a crime.

Oh poo poo, yes, that's a fantastic film.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Gypsy
Little Shop of Horrors
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Ninja Gamer posted:

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

Cannibal: The Musical?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The best musical is seriously 1776, though I also remember liking The Man of La Mancha but I saw it/was in it a long time ago.

Seriously though, 1776 was the first "movie of the month" in CD (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1546716%22), and it's a very enjoyable and funny but also deadly solemn at parts.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 10, 2013

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Young Girls of Rochefort is quite entertaining. It was movie of the month a year or so ago.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I hope this is the right thread.

Can anyone identify the autograph on this rental poster for Fifty/Fifty that I found at a thrift store?

The signature doesn't match any of the director/stars autographs. I bought it for the frame but I want to know who it is before I try and sell the poster.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It looks like "Bob," so I'd guess Robert Hayes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How loving sad is it that Lynda once thought enough of Bob's message and autograph that she had the poster framed, but now she cares for it so little that she didn't even throw it out before donating the frame to Goodwill?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

How loving sad is it that Lynda once thought enough of Bob's message and autograph that she had the poster framed, but now she cares for it so little that she didn't even throw it out before donating the frame to Goodwill?

I'm assuming she died because this was right behind it, also marked $8.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Boinks posted:

I'm assuming she died because this was right behind it, also marked $8.

That's an unfortunate tagline in retrospect.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Ugh, Robert Hays fan girls are the worst.

e: TEAM HAYS!
TEAM WELLER!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Apparently Sam Raimi really is making Army of Darkness 2 next. How many other franchises have had sequels to the original series after a remake was released? Not counting sequels to movies that have had a foreign-language remake. The only other one I can think of is Texas Chainsaw Massacre but its debatable as to what extent that really is a sequel versus remake pretending to be a sequel to give it legitimacy.

Chrtrptnt
Aug 18, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Apparently Sam Raimi really is making Army of Darkness 2 next. How many other franchises have had sequels to the original series after a remake was released? Not counting sequels to movies that have had a foreign-language remake. The only other one I can think of is Texas Chainsaw Massacre but its debatable as to what extent that really is a sequel versus remake pretending to be a sequel to give it legitimacy.

You could argue for The Wizard of Oz (1939) with a remake being The Wiz (1978) followed by Return to Oz (1985) and that is just including actual theatrical films.

poo poo, I was ignoring the actual "franchise" part, my bad. But you could always still argue that it counts, as The Wizard of Oz does have another actual sequel. Journey Back to Oz was released in 1974 after like 15 years of production problems, it's just that almost no one has even heard of it.

Chrtrptnt fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 11, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I like your example (and I certainly had never heard of that "Journey Back to Oz" movie), but I wouldn't really call The Wiz a remake of The Wizard of Oz in the same way that Evil Dead is a remake. I assume since the new Evil Dead was such a big hit, there's going to be a direct sequel to that as well, along with the new Army of Darkness movie, which would mean that the original and remake series would be ongoing at the same time - that's what I'm asking about more specifically, because it seems unprecedented though I might be totally wrong.

I like that Sam Raimi is the connecting link to everything we're talking about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

No remakes, but I'm pretty sure Superman Returns is a sequel to Superman 2, bypassing Superman 3 and 4. Also the Terminator TV show circumvents Terminator 3 and 4 with time travel (which is thematically relevant).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Terminator Salvation wasn't out yet when the TV show started. Also, while they do mostly ignore 3 they do end up taking one idea from it (that Sarah ends up getting cancer.)

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Skwirl posted:

No remakes, but I'm pretty sure Superman Returns is a sequel to Superman 2, bypassing Superman 3 and 4. Also the Terminator TV show circumvents Terminator 3 and 4 with time travel (which is thematically relevant).

For sure. Jaws and The Exorcist have ignored sequels as well; still, no remakes in the middle to throw a spanner in the mix.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The most obvious one I can think of is Night of the Living Dead. Remade in 1990 and has had 3 sequels since (no matter how bad I want to forget about two of them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Hey Guys,

Do any of you know of any good articles/books that deal with the effect the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombs have had on Japanese film? I'm researching this for a project I'm taking part in at the moment. Thanks!