Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think my 10-year-old CRT is giving up the ghost so I'm ready to upgrade. My video card is a 512MB 4850 recommended in the parts thread when I built my PC three years ago, and I'm still perfectly happy with how it performs at 1600x1200 -- I game but I don't care about ultra-high settings. I understand I'll probably need to upgrade that in the near future to keep up with contemporary games, but when I do I'll likely just be getting the modest but capable equivalent of the day.

So I should be looking for a 1680x1050 monitor, probably 22"? Would something like this Asus VW226T-TAA be acceptable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

swarthmeister posted:

Don't despair! Newegg has a deal for the same price, $310 with 10% off (promo code DSKBNCE16, ends 4/17). Free shipping, too.

Not despairing, I posted this after purchasing one of the two that were originally there :) I found out about the Newegg deal afterwards, good to see it's still around after noticing it disappeared from Best Buy's site.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

A Violence Gang posted:

So I should be looking for a 1680x1050 monitor, probably 22"? Would something like this Asus VW226T-TAA be acceptable?
That's a pretty generic monitor. Nothing specifically wrong with it, but nothing really great, either, just ho hum. You can easily get a 22-23" 1920x1080 screen for basically the same price, though. Depending on what your budget is, you may also want to consider an IPS screen, which will produce much better color and viewing angles than a TN panel (like the one you linked). For your budgeting reference, a "solid buy" mid-grade video card these days is about $200.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

A Violence Gang posted:

I think my 10-year-old CRT is giving up the ghost so I'm ready to upgrade. My video card is a 512MB 4850 recommended in the parts thread when I built my PC three years ago, and I'm still perfectly happy with how it performs at 1600x1200 -- I game but I don't care about ultra-high settings. I understand I'll probably need to upgrade that in the near future to keep up with contemporary games, but when I do I'll likely just be getting the modest but capable equivalent of the day.

I gamed with a 4850 at 1920x1080 for a few years with no serious issues. The workload is similar to 1600x1200 (less than 10% more pixels to process), so if you are happy with your performance now, you don't need to upgrade your video card.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Will check out 1920x1080s.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

blk posted:

Trying to choose a new 27" IPS. I do a reasonable amount of gaming and would like to keep lag down as much as possible. I do some design work but not enough to get super anal about color.

Considering:

< List of 2560x1440 monitors >

What would you choose from this list? Any others I should look at? Samsung?

If input lag is an issue, the only one there in your list that is relevant is the ViewSonic VP2770 since its the only one with well below 16ms of input lag. All the others in that list will be buffering at least one frame. The Samsung S27A850T is also a good choice but has a history of quality control issues.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

swarthmeister posted:

Don't despair! Newegg has a deal for the same price, $310 with 10% off (promo code DSKBNCE16, ends 4/17). Free shipping, too.

Apparently having a USA shipping address isn't enough, they won't take my Visa credit card that works in the USA because it has a Canadian billing address. gently caress.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Newegg is selling the Dell S2240M for $130 with a promo code. It's glossy, 1920x1080, LED backlit and doesn't appear to have any VESA mounting holes because (I'm assuming) they were trying to make it thin, ugh. It's probably the best IPS screen you're going to get for that price if you can deal with the gloss.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Welp, pulled the trigger and a 27 inch Korean is on its way. Ordered the Crossover 27QD BLADE from Accessories Whole as it was cheaper than the standard 27QD. Just hoping I don't get hosed on the UK customs/import charges. AW just sent it straight out this morning, so hopefully it leaves the country before they get nuked.

Didn't bother with the Perfect Pixel either as AW seem to have a limit of 3 defective pixels anyway.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 10, 2013

DeltaEdge
Jun 28, 2008
Thanks to this thread I decided to order a U2412M ultrasharp last week, and it was finally delivered today.

Siting side by side with my 5 year old Acer, I can finally see how big of a difference there really is. The Acer is dimmer, somewhat yellow, and overall nasty compared to the ultrasharp.

Now I'm contemplating on if I should double down on another ultrasharp, or settle with my old primary monitor. At least I'm replaced my secondary monitor in the meantime (a decade old 17inch CRT).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Newegg is selling the Dell S2240M for $130 with a promo code. It's glossy, 1920x1080, LED backlit and doesn't appear to have any VESA mounting holes because (I'm assuming) they were trying to make it thin, ugh. It's probably the best IPS screen you're going to get for that price if you can deal with the gloss.

Awesome, I can move the lighting in the room it'll be in so I should be able to deal with the gloss. Will grab one of these.

Appears to come with a VGA cable; will a cheap DVI-D from Monoprice (I see like $7 for the cheapest, compared to $12 from Newegg after shipping) make much difference? e: seems like everything says yes

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 11, 2013

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I sit back about 3 or 4 feet from my monitor (I have a weird setup, haha), and my 24" ASUS is pretty straining at 1920x1080. I don't mind it, but some games have the tiniest text at decent resolutions. I am thinking about getting a larger monitor, but don't want to spend TOO much.

Would this monitor be particularly terrible for my needs? The size seems right for the distance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116605

Thanks, guys.

Edit: Should add that I'm using an ATI Radeon 5700 HD video card, so something like this might be a bit of a strain, right?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260115

Chinook fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 11, 2013

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Plus that is one of those wacky ultra wide-screen monitors

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Carpet posted:

Plus that is one of those wacky ultra wide-screen monitors

Yeah, I'm just looking for something with a native 1920x1080 that is just plain larger. I don't want to buy garbage, but I'd like to avoid spending more than $600 or so.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...E60UX0.OfRhApSg

So uh, this thing exists.

Does the HDMI port on regular ol' consumer GPU's support 4K?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Depends on what you mean by "regular ol' consumer GPU's." There certainly are a few reasonably common ones that do (the 7970 supports 4K@24p over HDMI and 4K@60p over DP, as does the 680GTX), but your mid-range on down don't.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

DrDork posted:

Depends on what you mean by "regular ol' consumer GPU's." There certainly are a few reasonably common ones that do (the 7970 supports 4K@24p over HDMI and 4K@60p over DP, as does the 680GTX), but your mid-range on down don't.

Well, I have a GTX580 for my 2560x1600 30" so I guess my definition is different from other folks.

I do want a 4K display, but I think 50" is just Too drat Large.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 11, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chinook posted:

Yeah, I'm just looking for something with a native 1920x1080 that is just plain larger. I don't want to buy garbage, but I'd like to avoid spending more than $600 or so.

Ignore the OP and start looking at TV's. I ran a 32" Samsung as my primary monitor for several years and it was awesome. Only reason I moved away from it was I need more on screen real estate. Having a remote, built in speakers, and all those inputs was awesome. Text looked fine, just had to turn my sharpness all the way down to 0. No screen door effect and couldn't see any individual pixels. The Samsung also had a spva panel instead of IPS and the colors, image quality, etc. compare favorably to the Dell U2713HM I now use.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

fookolt posted:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...E60UX0.OfRhApSg

So uh, this thing exists.

Does the HDMI port on regular ol' consumer GPU's support 4K?

It says that the refresh rate is 120Hz, but you won't be getting 4K resolution at anything higher than 24fps on the inputs it has. Wonder why it's so cheap:v:?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Coredump posted:

Ignore the OP and start looking at TV's. I ran a 32" Samsung as my primary monitor for several years and it was awesome. Only reason I moved away from it was I need more on screen real estate. Having a remote, built in speakers, and all those inputs was awesome. Text looked fine, just had to turn my sharpness all the way down to 0. No screen door effect and couldn't see any individual pixels. The Samsung also had a spva panel instead of IPS and the colors, image quality, etc. compare favorably to the Dell U2713HM I now use.

Lot of tv's have a way to enable "PC" mode or something of the like as well, which pretty much turns them into monitors. My LG and sony both have this feature and it works pretty well

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If you do that, MAKE SURE TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND GET A TV WITH 4:4:4 COLOR SAMPLING. The text headaches come from TVs which use 4:2:0 color, which is very common for TVs because all video designed for consumers is color-compressed to 4:2:0 sampling.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've got a Dell Vostro 200 at work with an ATI x1300 video card that is running two monitors with DVI. What I'd like to know is if there is a way to use the Vostro's VGA out to run a third monitor?

I've got it connected but its not responding and if its supposed to work I'm not sure what I need to change in Catalyst to make it work. Thanks ahead.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

If you do that, MAKE SURE TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND GET A TV WITH 4:4:4 COLOR SAMPLING. The text headaches come from TVs which use 4:2:0 color, which is very common for TVs because all video designed for consumers is color-compressed to 4:2:0 sampling.

4:2:0 don't use a TV as a monitor every day.

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

This person speaks the truth. I was recently reading up on just this very thing (using HDTV as a monitor) and stumbled across this review someone did: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466061/2013-lg-ln5300-led-hdtv-review.

That model looks promising. I think I will pick one up here in a couple of months.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Dell.ca is having another crazy 2 day discount at random, this time on the U2713HM. They're $599.99, so that's 200 dollars off. I just ordered one, and it seems like they're understandably low on stock.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

visuvius posted:

I've got a Dell Vostro 200 at work with an ATI x1300 video card that is running two monitors with DVI. What I'd like to know is if there is a way to use the Vostro's VGA out to run a third monitor?

I've got it connected but its not responding and if its supposed to work I'm not sure what I need to change in Catalyst to make it work. Thanks ahead.
Assuming what you mean is can the X1300 power three monitors at once, then nope, what you want cannot be done. The reason is that the x1300 (like virtually every single graphics card ever produced) only has two physical TMDS chips, each one capable of only producing one signal. A VGA/DVI/HDMI connection requires a TMDS signal in order to work, hence you can only ever connect up two such devices. People running three (or more) monitors off of one card are doing so via DisplayPort. A quick look at the Vostro 200 says that it should have an open PCIe 1x slot and a few open PCI slots, either of which you can get a $50 video card for. If you're just pushing a normal desktop (office work, etc), you don't exactly have to worry about performance much.

If your version of the Vostro has both the X1300 and an integrated VGA port, separate from what the X1300 provides, then you may be able to get it to work under Windows 7 by going into the Display control panel and ensuring that "Multiple displays: Extend desktop to this display" is selected for your second and third monitors.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 11, 2013

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

mrpeaches posted:

This person speaks the truth. I was recently reading up on just this very thing (using HDTV as a monitor) and stumbled across this review someone did: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466061/2013-lg-ln5300-led-hdtv-review.

That model looks promising. I think I will pick one up here in a couple of months.

Thanks for your advice (and for everyone else's). I ended up ordering that one; we'll see how it works out.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Dell.ca is having another crazy 2 day discount at random, this time on the U2713HM. They're $599.99, so that's 200 dollars off. I just ordered one, and it seems like they're understandably low on stock.

Awesome, three u2312hm's ordered!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

4:2:0 don't use a TV as a monitor every day.

Have you used a TV as a monitor?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Coredump posted:

Have you used a TV as a monitor?
One of my friends does, and I get a headache if I use his computer for more than a few minutes.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

One of my friends does, and I get a headache if I use his computer for more than a few minutes.

I have no idea if my TV had 4:4:4 color sampling. I do know I ran one for at least 3 years and I nor any of the 5 or 6 people who used my computer ever had any problems with headaches. If anything having text that large let their eyes completely relax and still be able to read. I see a lot of people dismiss the idea of using TV's for monitors but I just wonder how many of have personal experience with it.

In your case I wonder if you had the TV as your personal monitor if you could have calibrated it to stop the headaches. Also I'm really curious if your friend had his sharpness adjusted correctly because on my set it did crazy poo poo to text on screen. Turned it all the way down, no problems.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

His TVs aren't anything special and I doubt they're 4:4:4. It's fine for video and games but text is unbearable. When I had a TV, I connected it to my computer as an additional display and it was the same way.

Are you going to update the OP of the laptop thread?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

DrDork posted:

If your version of the Vostro has both the X1300 and an integrated VGA port, separate from what the X1300 provides, then you may be able to get it to work under Windows 7 by going into the Display control panel and ensuring that "Multiple displays: Extend desktop to this display" is selected for your second and third monitors.

Thanks for the response. My Vostro does indeed have the X1300 and an integrated VGA port. That is where I tried plugging in the third monitor but I didn't get a response. I will try messing with Windows 7 Display settings. I was in Catalyst and couldn't get it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, you may or may not be able to get it to work. Some of those low-cost Dells are funky in that they will automatically disable the IGP if the BIOS detects a dGPU. You may or may not be able to go into the BIOS and change that behavior, but if it auto-disables it and you can't change that, you're SOL.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

visuvius posted:

Thanks for the response. My Vostro does indeed have the X1300 and an integrated VGA port. That is where I tried plugging in the third monitor but I didn't get a response. I will try messing with Windows 7 Display settings. I was in Catalyst and couldn't get it.

Also check your BIOS, the integrated video may be disabled.

Efb.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 11, 2013

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Factory Factory posted:

Similar to this (and apologies for continuing HDTV chat) how can I tell if I should enable full range RGB in Catalyst? I have a PC connected to my TV mostly for playing games on. I feel like I've read half the internet trying to work it out and haven't worked out a clear answer.

Looking at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php I can see a difference between the background and the "1" square on full range, but all the squares look lighter in Limited. Text looks better on Full, but I think games maybe look better on Limited.

Graphics card is a 7870XT and the screen is a sony 40w5710 which I got in 2010

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Hope this is the right thread.

I have this video card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439

It has:

quote:

1 x HDMI
2 x Mini DisplayPort
1 x DVI

I just purchased 3x U2312HM which have a display port on them.

I've never messed around with this display port stuff or triple monitors before but people are saying I need some type of "active" $100 adapter to do 3 monitors. I have no interest in using "Eyefinity" 1 screen split over 3 monitors, instead I want to use each monitor as its own screen but some people say this is still "Eyefinity"?

Anyone here know what I need to get three monitors hooked up on this card?

Edit: From what I've been reading, I just need 2x mini display port to display port regular cables (no adapter bullshit) and a DVI cable for the third monitor, is that correct?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 12, 2013

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

IT Guy posted:

Edit: From what I've been reading, I just need 2x mini display port to display port regular cables (no adapter bullshit) and a DVI cable for the third monitor, is that correct?

Yep that should work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You only need the 'active' $100 adapter to from DisplayPort to dual-link DVI, such as if you had a 27" or 30" monitor without DP inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I ordered a 2412 to attach to my Radeon 5770, which has DVI outputs. It looks like the DVI cables that come with the 2412 have the gap between pins. Is that an issue? I thought I recalled hearing that you need DVI cables with an uninterrupted row of pins to hit the native resolution on the monitor.