Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012
^^^^^
Thanks for the info, GulMadred, and thank you for saving me from terminal boredom ;)

As for risk estimation: just so we're on the same page here, let me quote the relevant part from the book:

quote:

A more reasonable goal is to reduce the risk of leakage to 0.1%–that is, to one chance in a thousand. Because the radioactivity is only 1000 times worse than that of the uranium we removed from the ground, the net risk (probability multiplied by danger) is 1000 x 0.001 = 1–that is, basically the same as the risk if we hadn't mined the uranium in the first place.
If the worst case happens and all that radioactive material actually leaks and is dissolved in ground water, you'll have a pretty bad local disaster at hand. Therefore, you'd want a lower than 1-in-1000 probability that it happens. And I called it "simplistic" because it's a complex problem with a lot of factors (and some uncertainty) simplified to two numbers. That doesn't mean that I'm not convinced that nuclear waste can be stored in a secure way.

Gimby posted:

Thing is, this is already covered to some extent. Remember that link I posted about natural reactors? Water flowing through fractured matrix is essentially the worst possible case for leaching. Vitrified waste sealed in stainless steel containers sealed in impervious clay in a bone-dry salt dome is a much more secure option. Leaching into groundwater isn't a threat to properly stored waste. Also, the total amount of waste is small and dense, so you don't need huge wastelands, the facilities can be really very small.
In Germany, the Gorleben salt dome is being investigated for several decades now, with no decision made because it's still not clear whether it will be safe for the next couple 100,000 years. As if anyone knew what technologies and knowledge were available in even 100 years. :rolleyes: Or what political and social motivations, for that matter.

Gimby posted:

The severity times probability measure is the standard one used in pretty much all forms of risk assessment, not just in the nuclear field. Your concerns about simplicity are covered by better estimates of both severity and probablility, and being someone who has done work on this kind of calculation, these estimates certainly do take into account correlation between different factors. Creation of a saftey case is not a simple process by any strech of the imagination.
Well, that's what I've been saying: it's not as simple as just multiplying two numbers. I didn't say that it's impossible to estimate the risk for a given storage method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It is rather terrible that the people evaluating those sites are not considering the possibility of unicorns suddenly appearing and breaking open all of the containment vessels with their magical horns.

It's not as simple as multiplying too numbers, yes, but that's because the numbers involved have to be researched and evaluated first (And there's an entire discipline for such things), but just because you're bad at math doesn't mean that the method is flawed.

The Yucca Mountain facility faced a similar problem. Every time the people involved with it would update their projections of the likely and unlikely future of the facility, the NIMBY crowd would demand another couple of thousands of years of prediction. And surprisingly enough, they eventually raised the number high enough that we can't predict, therefore it was unsafe!

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And anyway, in a thousand years, either we have the technology to hurl that things in the sun easily or we're extinct.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

CombatInformatiker posted:

As for risk estimation: just so we're on the same page here, let me quote the relevant part from the book:

If the worst case happens and all that radioactive material actually leaks and is dissolved in ground water, you'll have a pretty bad local disaster at hand. Therefore, you'd want a lower than 1-in-1000 probability that it happens. And I called it "simplistic" because it's a complex problem with a lot of factors (and some uncertainty) simplified to two numbers. That doesn't mean that I'm not convinced that nuclear waste can be stored in a secure way.

You're either not understanding risk analysis or you're making an incomplete argument. If Event A is 1,000 times worse than Event B, but Event A is also 1,000 times less likely to occur than Event B, then the risk is equal. Thus, assuming it is correct that mined uranium presents 1,000 times more danger, then that analysis is correct.

Now, I haven't read the book. The "1,000 times worse" number isn't something you can necessarily take at face value, and he would need to justify its use in the passages upstream of that, but you're acting concerned about his multiplication rather than his use of that figure.

For example, I don't think I would use "number of deaths" as my severity estimate, because the real impact of deaths is not linear. Like if a leakage event caused 1,000 people to die with 0.1% probability, but leaving it in the ground causes 1 person to die with 100% probability. That might be what you're trying to say, but... you should have said it, then.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 4, 2013

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
He's worried in that the average remains the same, but the worst case get worse.
I couldn't say why, though. It's not like the worst case is permanent land destruction or planet blowoff.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It still bothers me that this thread's title is misspelled.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey so is anyone following the "polywell" thing that got funding from the stimulus package? that ever get anywhere?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It got renewed funding? That's fantastic. I don't know how Bussard himself is doing, but the polywell is a great design and I really hope it works out. When did you hear about it getting stimulus funding?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CombatInformatiker posted:

Well, that's what I've been saying: it's not as simple as just multiplying two numbers. I didn't say that it's impossible to estimate the risk for a given storage method.

But it is as simple as that, that's what Gimby is saying. You multiply probability of occurrence by the severity of occurrence. That is exactly what is going on in the book. If we don't mine the uranium at all, then you still have a bunch of uranium in the ground, so the two scenarios that we're comparing are mining and using the uranium vs not mining the uranium at all.

Probability of raw uranium being radioactive = 100%
Normalized units of radioactivity = 1
Risk = 1*1 = 1

Probability of radioactive waste container leaking = 0.1%
Normalized units of radioactivity of leaking container = 1000
Risk = 1000*0.001 = 1

This means that the risk incurred by not mining at all is equal to the risk incurred by using the uranium and then containing the 1000x more radioactive waste products in barrels that only have a 0.1% probability of leaking.

There is nothing wrong with this technique. The only criticsm that can be levied would be directed at the accuracy or relevance of the respective numbers, which is not what you were doing originally when you dismissed the book.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

QuarkJets posted:

But it is as simple as that, that's what Gimby is saying. You multiply probability of occurrence by the severity of occurrence. That is exactly what is going on in the book. If we don't mine the uranium at all, then you still have a bunch of uranium in the ground, so the two scenarios that we're comparing are mining and using the uranium vs not mining the uranium at all.

Risk = 1*1 = 1

Risk = 1000*0.001 = 1

This means that the risk incurred by not mining at all is equal to the risk incurred by using the uranium and then containing the 1000x more radioactive waste products in barrels that only have a 0.1% probability of leaking.

There is nothing wrong with this technique. The only criticsm that can be levied would be directed at the accuracy or relevance of the respective numbers, which is not what you were doing originally when you dismissed the book.

Yeah, this is the standard method of risk analysis anywhere. Where do folks think insurance rates come from?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

It got renewed funding? That's fantastic. I don't know how Bussard himself is doing, but the polywell is a great design and I really hope it works out. When did you hear about it getting stimulus funding?

I dunno, its been years, probably some blog or forum. Also, Dr. Bussard passed.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That sucks, I probably should've known that. Are you talking about the Navy funding to EMC2 or whatever the group's name was? There hasn't been a whole lot of movement since 2012 as far as I know, but it's still progressing. No major breakthroughs. Honestly, I don't know if the material engineering is there for it, or if they can afford everything they need. I'll do some reading up on it again, I guess.

fake edit: the polywell has its own internet forum, that's amazing

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!
Funding for EMC2's Polywell research continues. Last I checked each successively larger prototype produces more output, scaling up in efficiency according to Dr. Bussard's calculations.

What's more, Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks has gotten into the fusion game, claiming they can have a compact fusion device producing net power within 5 years. People on the Polywell board suspect it's a Polywell-like device. People on the project have IEC backgrounds (inertial electrostatic confinement, Polywell's confinement scheme) It'll be cylindrically shaped and Bussard himself stayed such a configuration would work.
http://www.talk-polywell.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4273

I'm pretty excited about the prospect. LM's involvement adds legitimacy to IEC fusion.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's pretty interesting. I'm also hoping someone will try applying transformation optics theory to the design of IEC reactors to improve the magnets.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
With regards to environmental impact:

Uranium mining totally fucks up the landscape - however, mining for building sufficient renewable power to make a dent in the worldwide energy budget will be several times more damaging.

Protip: "high energy density" vs. "we need to mine enough poo poo to cover several % of the land area and store all that energy on top of that" is key here.

There's also some rough estimates on the amount of resources and land required for different energy scenarios on this blog - see the TCASE 4 article on the page I linked (written by a climate change prof from Adelaide).

The main takeaway:

In order to have 100% CO2-free energy by 2050(including replacement of oil etc.), we'd require about twenty loving percent of the world steel production be used for solar thermal/wind and cover one to several percent of the world's land area (the nuke estimates in the graph are based on AP-1000s). Using a wider variety of renewable energy sources would just shift this mess around.
Investing in nuclear reactors suddenly looks like a good idea :v:

The blog also examines the S-PRISM/IFR (Integral Fast Reactor) in [url= [url]http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/02/16/ifr-fad-3a/]more detail[/url] - a research reactor using the relevant technology had been built in the 1970s, by the way. They also make the :supaburn:ATOMZ:supaburn: crowd look even dumber than usual by producing waste that only needs to be stored for a couple of centuries and being able to burn existing waste instead of fresh uranium to boot (we'd need to invest in new reprocessing facilities, though).

e: fixed link, image
e2: outdated numbers for steel production, confused numbers

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 9, 2013

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
This came up recently, a 2 and a half hour tour of Oakridge National Labs nuclear department and its projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hA8V8y52BM

The whole thing is great just for all the technical engineering details that are presented. The commentary on political and economical difficulties of conducting nuclear R&D today is something I found really interesting, starting at 45:16. I haven't finished watching the whole thing yet but I highly recommend it to anyone that's curious about nuclear research.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm taking a tour of a $30 million biomass generator today, pretty excited to see how it works! :dance:

If anybody wants a specific question asked about biomass, let me know.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Just checking back in to say it was a pretty interesting tour! Apparently they are trying to use the syngas that is the byproduct of the biomass heat generation to run the generator for the co-gen. There have been lots of problems with the syngas production, but it's mostly a proof-of-concept project, so they don't mind the hiccups along the way.

They might switch to running the generator off of biomethane in the future to get higher uptime, but either way, cogeneration is the way of the future.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.independentaustralia.net/2013/business/renewables-can-do-24-hour-baseload-anywhere-anytime/

quote:

THE FUTURE of civilisation and much biodiversity hangs to a large degree on whether we can replace fossil fuels — coal, oil and gas — with clean, safe and affordable energy within several decades. The good news is that renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency measures have advanced with extraordinary speed over the past decade.

Energy efficient buildings and appliances, solar hot water, on-shore wind, solar photovoltaic (PV) modules, concentrated solar thermal (CST) power with thermal storage and gas turbines burning a wide range of renewable liquid and gaseous fuels are commercially available on a large scale.

The costs of these technologies have declined substantially, especially those of solar PV. In 2012, despite the global financial crisis, global investment in these clean, safe and healthy technologies amounted to US $269 billion. Denmark, Scotland and Germany and several states/provinces around the world have official targets of around 100% renewable electricity and are implementing policies to achieve them.

The principal barrier is resistance from vested interests and their supporters in the big greenhouse gas polluting industries and from an unsafe, expensive, polluting, would-be competitor to a renewable energy future, nuclear power. These powerful interests are running a campaign of renewable energy denial that is almost as fierce as the long-running campaign of climate change denial. Both campaigns are particularly noisy in the Murdoch press.

So far the anti-renewables campaign, with its misinformation and gross exaggerations, has received little critical examination in the mainstream media.

The renewable energy deniers rehash, among others, the old myth that renewable energy is unreliable in supplying base load demand.

Renewable energy is reliable
In a previous article for The Conversation, I reported on the initial results of computer simulations by a research team at the University of New South Wales that busted the myth that renewable energy cannot supply base load demand. However at the time of the article, I was still under the misconception that some base load renewable energy supply may be needed to be part of the renewable energy mix.

Since then, Ben Elliston, Iain MacGill and I have performed thousands of computer simulations of 100% renewable electricity in the National Electricity Market (NEM), using actual hourly data on electricity demand, wind and solar power for 2010.

Our latest research, available here and reported here, finds that generating systems comprising a mix of different commercially available renewable energy technologies, located on geographically dispersed sites, do not need base load power stations to achieve the same reliability as fossil-fuelled systems.

The old myth was based on the incorrect assumption that base load demand can only be supplied by base load power stations; for example, coal in Australia and nuclear in France. However, the mix of renewable energy technologies in our computer model, which has no base load power stations, easily supplies base load demand.

Our optimal mix comprises wind 50-60%; solar PV 15-20%; concentrated solar thermal with 15 hours of thermal storage 15-20%; and the small remainder supplied by existing hydro and gas turbines burning renewable gases or liquids. (Contrary to some claims, concentrated solar with thermal storage does not behave as base load in winter; however, that doesn’t matter.)

The real challenge is to supply peaks in demand on calm winter evenings following overcast days. That’s when the peak-load power stations, that is, hydro and gas turbines, make vital contributions by filling gaps in wind and solar generation.

Renewable electricity is affordable

Our latest peer-reviewed paper, currently in press in Energy Policy journal, compares the economics of two new alternative hypothetical generation systems for 2030: 100% renewable electricity versus an “efficient” fossil-fuelled system. Both systems have commercially available technologies and both satisfy the NEM reliability criterion. However, the renewable energy system has zero greenhouse gas emissions while the efficient fossil scenario has high emissions and water use and so would be unacceptable in environmental terms.

We used the technology costs projected to 2030 in the conservative 2012 study by the Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics (BREE). (In my personal view, future solar PV and wind costs are likely to be lower than the BREE projections, and future fossil fuel and nuclear costs are likely to be higher.) Then, we did thousands of hourly simulations of supply and demand over 2010, until we found the mix of renewable energy sources that gave the minimum annual cost.

Under transparent assumptions, we found that the total annualised cost (including capital, operation, maintenance and fuel where relevant) of the least-cost renewable energy system is $7-10 billion per year higher than that of the “efficient” fossil scenario.

For comparison, the subsidies to the production and use of all fossil fuels in Australia are at least $10 billion per year. So, if governments shifted the fossil subsidies to renewable electricity, we could easily pay for the latter’s additional costs.

Thus 100% renewable electricity would be affordable under sensible government policy, busting another myth. All we need are effective policies to drive the transition.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gotta love an article that calls nuclear power "unsafe, expensive, [and] polluting" but handwaves away hydropower like drowning a few hundred square kilometers ain't no thang.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Gotta love an article that calls nuclear power "unsafe, expensive, [and] polluting" but handwaves away hydropower like drowning a few hundred square kilometers ain't no thang.

It still relies on fossil fuels.

quote:

That’s when the peak-load power stations, that is, hydro and gas turbines, make vital contributions by filling gaps in wind and solar generation.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

While I agree its a bit biased, the plan calls for the usage of existing hydro power sources, not creating any new ones.

karthun posted:

quote:

and the small remainder supplied by existing hydro and gas turbines burning renewable gases or liquids.

Almost. You almost got it right.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah even I at my most nuclear-evasive wouldn't want to replace nuclear with hydro power, but the plan specifically refers to existing hydro power schemes and not building new ones.

karthun posted:

Gas can be generated from solar power and CO2 feedstock - it's net carbon neutral. There's a difference between organic and fossil fuels.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

While I agree its a bit biased, the plan calls for the usage of existing hydro power sources, not creating any new ones.

Almost. You almost got it right.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Yeah even I at my most nuclear-evasive wouldn't want to replace nuclear with hydro power, but the plan specifically refers to existing hydro power schemes and not building new ones.

Gas can be generated from solar power and CO2 feedstock - it's net carbon neutral. There's a difference between organic and fossil fuels.

It COULD be, but that doesn't mean that it will be. It is like the supposed hydrogen economy during the 05ish. We COULD generate hydrogen by using wind and solar to electrolyze water, or we could just crack methane using steam reformation. But it wouldn't be done that way. People do know that the hydrogen economy was a push for greater fossil fuel usage right? Same with bioproduction of methane, Yes methane COULD be produced with organic waste, but it would be put up against current fracking technology. I doubt that it would be successful at taking us off of fossil fuels, much like hydrogen.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

karthun posted:

It COULD be, but that doesn't mean that it will be.

What you posted was "it still relies on fossil fuels." It doesn't rely on them, it simply still has the possibility of using them. That's not the same thing. Stop moving the loving goalposts.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Quantum Mechanic posted:

What you posted was "it still relies on fossil fuels." It doesn't rely on them, it simply still has the possibility of using them. That's not the same thing. Stop moving the loving goalposts.

How about I am skeptical that it would not rely on fossil fuels for the same reason why I am skeptical that the hydrogen economy would not rely on fossil fuels.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

karthun posted:

How about I am skeptical that it would not rely on fossil fuels for the same reason why I am skeptical that the hydrogen economy would not rely on fossil fuels.

Because the move to renewable energy is change in energy GENERATION, where the hydrogen economy was a change in energy DELIVERY. They're two different paradigms. Nothing about hydrogen inherently states that it is generated through zero-carbon means, where zero-carbon generation is the fundamental purpose of a renewable economy.

Why would you possibly judge the behaviour of generators within a system that was never explicitly designed to reduce fossil fuel consumption, merely the efficiency of consumption, with one where that is the entire purpose?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Because the move to renewable energy is change in energy GENERATION, where the hydrogen economy was a change in energy DELIVERY. They're two different paradigms. Nothing about hydrogen inherently states that it is generated through zero-carbon means, where zero-carbon generation is the fundamental purpose of a renewable economy.

Why would you possibly judge the behaviour of generators within a system that was never explicitly designed to reduce fossil fuel consumption, merely the efficiency of consumption, with one where that is the entire purpose?

That wasn't John Bockris's plan/dream. He wanted to implement a solar hydrogen energy cycle. You are right that the hydrogen itself is just a carrier of energy, just like methane. Bockris wanted massive solar arrays and nuclear reactors to produce hydrogen gas. This hydrogen gas would then be used to take us off of all fossil fuels. The main problem with the hydrogen economy plan is that it still has to compete against natural gas for for hydrogen production. This is the main flaw of the hydrogen economy, I am skeptical that the solar-hydrogen energy cycle will be able to compete against the natural gas-hydrogen cycle.

This exact same flaw exists in for biomethane, it needs to compete against fracked natural gas. Don't get me wrong, I would love for biomethane production to be competitive against fracked natural gas. It is important to note that we need to differentiate between capturing waste biogas off of landfills and sewage with building the actual infrastructure needed to produce orders of magnitude more biogas.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

karthun posted:

This exact same flaw exists in for biomethane, it needs to compete against fracked natural gas.

Why? Because its cheaper?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Mined fossil fuels being cheaper than carbon-neutral synthesized fuels is a problem that can be addressed through the tax system (preferably "sin taxes" on fossil fuels rather than subsidies on carbon-neutral fuels, but either could accomplish the end of making the use of neutral fuels the cheaper option).

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

karthun posted:

I am skeptical that the solar-hydrogen energy cycle will be able to compete against the natural gas-hydrogen cycle.

Then it's a good thing nobody was proposing a solar-hydrogen energy cycle :confused:

karthun posted:

This exact same flaw exists in for biomethane, it needs to compete against fracked natural gas. Don't get me wrong, I would love for biomethane production to be competitive against fracked natural gas. It is important to note that we need to differentiate between capturing waste biogas off of landfills and sewage with building the actual infrastructure needed to produce orders of magnitude more biogas.

a) the amount of gas needed for peaking against renewables is not large, and could certainly not maintain a massive fracking industry

b) carbon pricing is an integral part of a renewable energy program

You've kind of gone off the rails here.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Then it's a good thing nobody was proposing a solar-hydrogen energy cycle :confused:

Solar-hydrogen energy cycle is an example of where people wanted to implement hydrogen generation as part of the hydrogen economy.

quote:

a) the amount of gas needed for peaking against renewables is not large, and could certainly not maintain a massive fracking industry

b) carbon pricing is an integral part of a renewable energy program

You've kind of gone off the rails here.

The concern raised in the article was of calm winter evenings after overcast days. We would require heavy use of peakers to not only keep the lights on but also heat everyone homes during a good chuck of winter. That is unless you want to continue to use natural gas furnaces for heating. As a reminder it is April 15th and we are still dealing with snow and sub-freezing temps.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

karthun posted:

Solar-hydrogen energy cycle is an example of where people wanted to implement hydrogen generation as part of the hydrogen economy.

But not to the express purpose of going zero-carbon.

karthun posted:

The concern raised in the article was of calm winter evenings after overcast days. We would require heavy use of peakers to not only keep the lights on but also heat everyone homes during a good chuck of winter. That is unless you want to continue to use natural gas furnaces for heating. As a reminder it is April 15th and we are still dealing with snow and sub-freezing temps.

Please find me an area of Australia currently experiencing sub-freezing temperatures and snow. Please find me an area of Australia outside of Thredbo and the Perisher Valley where snow and sub-zero temperatures are anything more than an oddity.

Even through an Australian winter solar thermal can provide the majority of consumed power. Solar power doesn't shut down when it's cold, it just outputs less energy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm the snowy mountains perhaps? :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Aureon posted:

Saint loving god, are we still talking about freaking fukushima?
If you want to bitch about once-in-a-century events' damage being increased by 1% or so, please look no further than the un-named Fukishima Dam.
Nuclear plants are basically dams that don't actually need a river. That also get hosed up two orders of magnitude less.

Plus the death toll from radiation from the Fukushima nuclear plants looks suspiciously like it's, um, zero. A couple of people at the plant did get hit by falling objects caused by the earthquake and die, though, so maybe we should avoid power generation technologies based on using tall things?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Quantum Mechanic posted:

But not to the express purpose of going zero-carbon.

Please find me an area of Australia currently experiencing sub-freezing temperatures and snow. Please find me an area of Australia outside of Thredbo and the Perisher Valley where snow and sub-zero temperatures are anything more than an oddity.

Even through an Australian winter solar thermal can provide the majority of consumed power. Solar power doesn't shut down when it's cold, it just outputs less energy.

I am not the one saying that "Renewables can do 24-hour base load anywhere, anytime" while repeating lies about the one technology that should be used along side with massive renewable deployment.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

blowfish posted:

Uranium mining totally fucks up the landscape - however, mining for building sufficient renewable power to make a dent in the worldwide energy budget will be several times more damaging.

The thing is the scales are totally different. What you dig out of one uranium mine site could run the whole world for years, whereas you're going to need a lot more solar panels or hydro dams to generate equivalent output.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The thing is the scales are totally different. What you dig out of one uranium mine site could run the whole world for years, whereas you're going to need a lot more solar panels or hydro dams to generate equivalent output.

There's also the ocean extraction method. Does anyone know what the latest prices for that are?

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Risk = 1*1 = 1

Risk = 1000*0.001 = 1

There is something wrong with this technique, which is that it inheretly assumes that the expected values fully characterize the distribution - as Bernoulli.
Don't get me wrong, if you'd actually be able to find out the "probability" of of leakage then you could calculate which leakage you'd expect, and this could be equal to a certain outcome such as mining. But you can't, because it does not exist as a binary case.
And because of this, nothing you said is essentially applicable to reality. It would be very easy to assume a distribution of leakage with the same "risk" (ie. expected value), yet a much higher probability to leak a lot of material. It would have the same expected leakage. This could be characterized as more risky and in fact this is very often the case out there.
Which is also why risk is not equal to expected value, which is a valid criticism for any of these arguments. It is a fake argument and it is meaningless to reality. And any numbers derived on the basis of such a model would be misleading.

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, this is the standard method of risk analysis anywhere. Where do folks think insurance rates come from?

Ya... no. This is exactly the reason why your insurance rate is not based only on this.

Edit: Not that enough entities have made this mistake before of course. But it is not correct to describe reality this way, especially for risk analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

There's also the ocean extraction method. Does anyone know what the latest prices for that are?

I vaguely remember the last time this came up in discussion that someone had pegged it at ~$300/unit for salt water extraction which was ~double-ish of what the market price was. I'm at work right now so can't Google too much but I saw a few articles talking about how Oak Ridge came up with some new method of extraction that would bring the current cost down so if I am even close to accurate you can use that as a rough baseline. Maybe on my break I'll find something or I'll just go back to lurking.