Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I got two really quickly during a freehunt, I thought it'd be a lot harder to get but I think I just got lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Does a giant fish graphic show up in the water? Or does it just randomly give it to you when you catch something?

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
You can see the big fish in the water, it's pretty obvious when it's there

On another note, can someone tell me how large a monster has to be for pierce shots to all go off? For example, would it be worth it to shoot the side of a rathian with Pierce lvl 2?

Does anyone actually solo using pierce shots? I've been using pellets almost exclusively, with a few other things like exhaust and sleep mainly because I find that I don't have the time to aim. Any tips for solo bowgunning?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think Hammer has replaced longsword for me as the stereotypical clueless newbie weapon. Ever since I've gotten to G-rank I've never seen a hammer user not die at least once on a quest. Also, it's virtually guaranteed that whenever a monster is knocked over/paralyzed/stunned/whatever they'll run over and super pound everyone away for the duration of the opening. That doesn't even do as much damage as the golfswing does it?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Piercing is generally better the bigger the monster is, and relies a bit on positioning to max out the damage. You want to shoot from head to tail or wingtip to wingtip so it does the most hits. (almost) Always aim for the head or belly, and get as close as you can because supposedly there is damage falloff. Don't bother with slicing ammo on solo hunts. You can work around maximum ammo limits by bringing materials to make some during the hunt (Great for crag and cluster ammo). If your gun can fire sleep shots always bring some barrel bombs and sleep bomb the mofo.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BlueDestiny posted:

Piercing is generally better the bigger the monster is, and relies a bit on positioning to max out the damage. You want to shoot from head to tail or wingtip to wingtip so it does the most hits. (almost) Always aim for the head or belly, and get as close as you can because supposedly there is damage falloff. Don't bother with slicing ammo on solo hunts. You can work around maximum ammo limits by bringing materials to make some during the hunt (Great for crag and cluster ammo). If your gun can fire sleep shots always bring some barrel bombs and sleep bomb the mofo.

I'm thinking about making a bomb boost set and charming/gemming in artillery expert, so that I'll have buffed crag shot and wyvernfire, and when I do sleepbombing I'll get more damage out of it. It'll be like using Torgue guns in Borderlands 2.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I think Hammer has replaced longsword for me as the stereotypical clueless newbie weapon. Ever since I've gotten to G-rank I've never seen a hammer user not die at least once on a quest. Also, it's virtually guaranteed that whenever a monster is knocked over/paralyzed/stunned/whatever they'll run over and super pound everyone away for the duration of the opening. That doesn't even do as much damage as the golfswing does it?

I don't know the damage amount, but the superpound is really good because there's virtually no build-up. Yeah you have to charge it, but you can run around at full speed while doing it, then unload a bunch of damage. If a guy is charging up an attack and the beast happens to fall over, of course they are going to release it on the monster. But yeah only idiots would pound away other players in a situation like that. And I think the triple pound is more DPS over charging a superpound on a fallen monster.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 10, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Underwhelmed posted:

I was pretty nervous about checking mine too, because I totally forgot about the stupid thing until I was over a dozen hours in. One haul with an improved fishing fleet with tackle can give you an answer. It's easier than a pregnancy test.

Tell me about it. I did the reset date / mind a timer thing from the OP on my 3DS earlier this weekend, and finally got about to testing it just now (after data xfer back up to Wii U). Table 10! I just wanted to make sure confirmation bias from a few significantly better item drops subsequent to restarting were unscientifically misleading me.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

darkhand posted:

I don't know the damage amount, but the superpound is really good because there's virtually no build-up. Yeah you have to charge it, but you can run around at full speed while doing it, then unload a bunch of damage. If a guy is charging up an attack and the beast happens to fall over, of course they are going to release it on the monster. But yeah only idiots would pound away other players in a situation like that. And I think the triple pound is more DPS over charging a superpound on a fallen monster.

I think the x-x-x combo for the Hammer is more powerful, and the quick-charge R-x-x-x is even stronger, but those take time to pull off while superpounding is mobile.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, it definitely has its uses, but most hammerers I see use it like a greatsword charge you can move during.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
There must have been some mixup in the quests, it said I was fighting a Black Diablos but all I saw was a homing missile with a pair of horns and a tail :negative:

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Carecat posted:

There must have been some mixup in the quests, it said I was fighting a Black Diablos but all I saw was a homing missile with a pair of horns and a tail :negative:

No see, that quest is about hunting the Diablo in your heart. The quick moving black shape is merely your Superego, given form to help you defeat the deep blackness.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
A Black Diablos is a Diablos in heat. Did you bring her flowers?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Underwhelmed posted:

I was pretty nervous about checking mine too, because I totally forgot about the stupid thing until I was over a dozen hours in. One haul with an improved fishing fleet with tackle can give you an answer. It's easier than a pregnancy test.

Still do three just to be sure :ohdear:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Chairon posted:

No see, that quest is about hunting the Diablo in your heart. The quick moving black shape is merely your Superego, given form to help you defeat the deep blackness.

I am a Diablos.

The true self.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
What's the best way to get monster broth? I want to make high rank Volvidon armour before I take on Rathalos.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I've had it drop of the flying bugs in the desert if you get a carve off them.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
Bugs and high rank Giggi's, the little baby ones. I just sit near a spawn doing something else and when I hear the noise I murder them.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Celery Face posted:

What's the best way to get monster broth? I want to make high rank Volvidon armour before I take on Rathalos.

Either go on a harvest tour of HR tundra or a free hunt at night, then kill giggis and carve them. They've got a pretty decent chance to drop it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Celery Face posted:

High rank giggis. Go to the tundra map that has a giggi egg and you can kill them endlessly. they also drop from bugs, but killing bugs in a way that makes them carvable is a pain and the drop rate isn't much better.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I spent the last hour or more trying to catch those speartunas in all types of different zones. I even have various drop rates guides in front of me. What I saw is that everything was wrong, and I went into an LR Tundra gather quest and fished out 3 within a few minutes. I guess the fishing tables are generated like charm tables now.

I switched baits a few times to reset the fish until it spawned then I caught it. No other method or area worked for me :shrug:

darkhand fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 10, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm finding that with dual blades I'm not spending as much time in demon mode as I feel like I should be. It seems like whenever I turn it on I've nearly wasted my opportunity to get a combo in. Does anyone else feel this way or do I just need more practice?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Roll with a Hunting Horn user with Negate Stamina and your problems are solved.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
Just had an awesome session with some random guy named Radatz. We did my six star urgent, then went through the list of his six star key quests and his urgent. We kicked some rear end, we did. If anyone sees him online, hes a cool dude.

It was so much fun. And I finally figured out that guild cards are not your friend list!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Does Stamina Thief increase the stamina damage you do from ALL attacks, or only from attacks specifically designed to hurt stamina gain, such as exhaust coatings?

e: Also, if trying to beef up the damage of slime status effect, would you want Status ATK+, or Bombardier? I notice Bombardier supposedly beefs up Slime S and Slime Coatings on the wiki, but does that include normal slime status effects too?

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 10, 2013

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I think its all attacks that already drain stamina, so impact weapons, shield bashes, arrow rain, crag/exhaust shot etc.

I love how over the top item descriptions get in this game. "A Hammer of shocking weight and might. A good, strong swing could decimate all of creation"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm tempted to make a Gunlance set using Artillery Expert, and then Razor Sharp since I'm only high rank. I've never done a GL set that isn't based around maximizing guard though, is this an awful idea?

e: To clarify: is an artillery expert-based armorset an awful idea?

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 10, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reginald Bathwater posted:

I think its all attacks that already drain stamina, so impact weapons, shield bashes, arrow rain, crag/exhaust shot etc.

I love how over the top item descriptions get in this game. "A Hammer of shocking weight and might. A good, strong swing could decimate all of creation"

is the greatsword slap impact?
Do all of the arrow rains do impact damage or just exhaust?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm tempted to make a Gunlance set using Artillery Expert, and then Razor Sharp since I'm only high rank. I've never done a GL set that isn't based around maximizing guard though, is this an awful idea?

e: To clarify: is an artillery expert-based armorset an awful idea?

In my experience, artillery expert demands you use wyvernfire as much as possible. Lower cooldown means that the moment it's back up, you should find an opportunity to use it rather than wait for the perfect moment. I'm in G-Rank and I'm still pretty mediocre with wyvernfire, partly due to how a lot of the monsters just get faster at G-Rank.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fauxtool posted:

is the greatsword slap impact?
Do all of the arrow rains do impact damage or just exhaust?

The greatsword slap is impact, which is pretty cool but not the most useful part of your arsenal. Still, I've had the luckiest goddamn stuns with it while playing with friends, so it will forever be the best thing. In Tri originally it was a way to knock out Kelbi for specific carves, iirc.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Capture guru confirms monsters do heal when sleeping, enough to go from capturable to not. However the heal must not be a big one as it only took a couple of hits to make them capturable again so it's nothing to worry about.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I actually think that sometimes monsters limp a little bit before they are capturable, because I have trapped and attempted to cap monsters in the same zone they started to limp in, and we still needed to wail on them in the trap for it to work. It is really weird.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Carecat posted:

It's weird that the black diablos is just a normal diablos that's giant and enrages more often. That's it, it really doesn't do anything else special. But that's all it really loving needs to do to earn a spot on the "gently caress it just bring a lance" list.

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

How does attack power work with switch axes? Is the number on the weapon for axe mode or sword mode or both?

I just got this game and I've never played Monster Hunter before. I can't believe no one told me about this series before, it's awesome! The only thing I'm still having trouble with is how long my dude insists on flexing after drinking a potion. You would think it would be safe to use one like 30 yards away from a monster...

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
It's for both. The sword raw damage values only change if it's a power phial, 1.25 multiplier if I recall properly.

The individual attack animations for each mode deal different percentages of the total damage. It's pretty convoluted, really.

Here's what is used in Tri, which is probably more or less identical for 3U.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3_Damage_Formula

edit: actually some of those attack type values are off, like the continuous slash attack for switchaxe. Still, gives you the general idea.

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 10, 2013

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
What is a decent low rank bow set and bow in MHFU? I'm trying to farm some black diablos horns but it seems impossible with hammer and greatsword, my two weapons of choice? Light bowgun is good too i suppose.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Blueberry posted:

What is a decent low rank bow set and bow in MHFU? I'm trying to farm some black diablos horns but it seems impossible with hammer and greatsword, my two weapons of choice? Light bowgun is good too i suppose.

Do you mean HR? I don't remember seeing black diablos until later. The rathian bows gives a bonus to poison coatings. You can poison 3-4 times in a fight making it very easy. If you already have melee armor why not just use a lance?

Just read what game you are playing, ignore.
Really? They make fight that in low rank?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Found something pretty great. I dare you guys to sit through even half of this Zinogre fight.

Why do the most tone deaf people love singing? And why do they think we want to hear it? Take a drink any time he goes more than about 3 minutes without breaking into song.

I've never seen someone just walk up to a monster's face and start attacking it. Especially with a Long Sword. Or completely ignore monster tells. Dude will just stand in front of a monster that's not doing an attack animation and quaff a potion. 9 times out of 10 he gets charged into, negating all the healing he just did. He never learns from any of his mistakes.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

Do you mean HR? I don't remember seeing black diablos until later. The rathian bows gives a bonus to poison coatings. You can poison 3-4 times in a fight making it very easy. If you already have melee armor why not just use a lance?

Just read what game you are playing, ignore.
Really? They make fight that in low rank?

Yea if I remember right there's a low rank quest in Freedom Unite that had you hunting a Diablo and Black Diablo. Freedom Unite didn't gently caress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cthulhuchan posted:

It's for both. The sword raw damage values only change if it's a power phial, 1.25 multiplier if I recall properly.

The individual attack animations for each mode deal different percentages of the total damage. It's pretty convoluted, really.

Here's what is used in Tri, which is probably more or less identical for 3U.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3_Damage_Formula

edit: actually some of those attack type values are off, like the continuous slash attack for switchaxe. Still, gives you the general idea.

I wonder if the attack values for the overhead attack vs. the burst finisher are right. There's only a 6% difference in damage. Then again, if we're talking about elemental/power vials that's not including the 25% bonus from sword mode. After dicking around with the Hunting Horn for most part, I've gone back to the Switchaxe. There's really nothing quite like the mix of damage, reach, and versatility. That overhead attack is not only hard hitting, but really easy to use for cutting tails.

And in the end, I just love tripping monster, side-stepp cancelling, and then rushing in for a burst combo.

Edit: I guess it makes sense in how many frames it takes to pull each attack off. The overhead isn't significantly faster than the burst, it just looks more dull.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 10, 2013

• Locked thread