Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah, the tablets and drops are things my guinea pigs disliked and I've heard the drops can make them avoid drinking because it makes the water taste nasty.
It's way easier to buy a few bell peppers or parsley and give them each a bit every day (and piggies love it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I got the young guinea pig pellets since they are supposed to have more vitamin c and have been giving fruits, so hopefully that will bridge the gap. :D

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

cuntvalet posted:

I got the young guinea pig pellets since they are supposed to have more vitamin c and have been giving fruits, so hopefully that will bridge the gap. :D

Keep in mind those pellets are also made of alfalfa, which isn't good for pigs over 1 year of age. Also, the sugars in fruits can lead to gut problems. Veggies are preferable.

Several of us here feed about 90% hay, 10% veggies. Zero pellets are needed if you make sure you're using high quality hay and a mix of vitamin rich veggies. Our pigs are living 8-9 years regularly with very few incidents of gut or tooth problems, so it seems to work. :)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Pellets and such don't seem worth it since vitamin C breaks down very easily; giving lots of F+V's really is the best from what I've read.

edit: I probably go overboard with the vegetables, I yell MAKE IT RAIN and throw 2 handfuls of mixed greens in every day on top of them. They run around under it and seem so happy.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

The best way is to give your pig vitamin C-rich veggies, and/or vitamin-C enhanced pellets. I've never had any luck giving a pig a vitamin supplement.

I never had my pigs all over tablets/ enhanced pellets either. I'd give mine a salad of coriander, kale, parsley and mustard greens along with their daily hay and daily pellets, sometimes add a little bit of carrot and/or raw broccoli to the mix too.

E:

alucinor posted:

Keep in mind those pellets are also made of alfalfa, which isn't good for pigs over 1 year of age. Also, the sugars in fruits can lead to gut problems. Veggies are preferable.

Several of us here feed about 90% hay, 10% veggies. Zero pellets are needed if you make sure you're using high quality hay and a mix of vitamin rich veggies. Our pigs are living 8-9 years regularly with very few incidents of gut or tooth problems, so it seems to work. :)

See, I wish I'd known that. Back when I had pigs, everyone screamed up and down you needed pellets 100% of the time or your pigs would literally fall over dead the next minute. Mine hardly ever ate the pellets and it felt like such a constant waste.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Saint Darwin posted:

edit: I probably go overboard with the vegetables, I yell MAKE IT RAIN and throw 2 handfuls of mixed greens in every day on top of them. They run around under it and seem so happy.

I can't tell how hyperbolic you're being but that sounds like the greatest thing to do ever. :3:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

cuntvalet posted:

I can't tell how hyperbolic you're being but that sounds like the greatest thing to do ever. :3:

No I actually do it. I was planning on getting some video of it for the "Throw stuff at your pets" thread.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Saint Darwin posted:

No I actually do it. I was planning on getting some video of it for the "Throw stuff at your pets" thread.

I would totally support such a video.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Saint Darwin posted:

Do it. I need cute things to giggle at.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Now I'm mad at them and I won't >:(

I had one on my chest (the bitey one) as usual with headphones on. She started getting interested in the cord so I flicked over her. As it was moving she went CHOMP and I noticed I couldn't hear out of my right side. She went through the cable in one frigging bite. DAMMIT PIGS.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Saint Darwin posted:

Now I'm mad at them and I won't >:(

I had one on my chest (the bitey one) as usual with headphones on. She started getting interested in the cord so I flicked over her. As it was moving she went CHOMP and I noticed I couldn't hear out of my right side. She went through the cable in one frigging bite. DAMMIT PIGS.

Dexter did that to my modem's power cord, in an apartment with two roommates. No one was happy with Dex that day.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

USUALLY they don't actually bite down. She decided "gently caress your cord" and sheared it in half.

God drat.

edit: JE'CUSE

edit2: She does not look remorseful in real life.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 26, 2013

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
I've got two guinea pigs, and I've been giving them a teaspoon of tang in their water each time I refill it. I'm just wondering if I should switch to just veggies since reading this thread it seems that sugar is bad for them. Also, I was wondering if there's a safe way to trim their nails since I'd like to be able to pick them up when needed without getting scratched to pieces.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tang is completely worthless for them, so yeah, veggies is a much better option. I just had the vet show me how to trim guinea pig claws and did them myself with a cat claw trimmer.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Niemat posted:

Well, dammit. :( Is there a preferred method of disinfecting these for gerbils on a regular basis that doesn't involve a dishwasher...?

For our chins we put in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. We add rice as scrubbers and shake the bottle, slowly diluting the vinegar until it's gone. The bottle is all kinds of sparkly. Seems to work pretty well!

Scooty Puff Jr
Mar 22, 2011
My syrian hamster will sometimes leave his igloo to curl up in the corner of his cage to sleep, and I guess my question with that is... is it normal? I'm sure it probably is, but I've had a few syrian hamsters over the years, and none of them have ever really done that before. I just want to be absolutely sure that it's not a sign of something being wrong. This hamster also does enjoy giving himself a bath with his water bottle every time I return him to his cage after cleaning it, so I figure I should just chalk it up to a personality thing, but wanted to double check.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hamsters sleep where they want to sleep. If they want to sleep in their own detritus, they will. If they want to sleep under their water bottle and constantly be woken up by the ever-so-slow dripping, they will. Hamsters are not very bright.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Jenna the guinea pig decided her new favourite thing is to stand in the doorway of her pigloo and holler at my boyfriend and I when we kiss on the couch. It's adorable. Also makes me think she's getting more comfortable with us being around.

Guinea pigs are weird, man. :3:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I have a Spiderman mouse that will wait for another mouse to start running in the wheel, grab on to the outside of the wheel, get launched up into the screen cieling of their aquarium, and then walk around upside down on the cieling for awhile. I really need to get this on video.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Crossposting from the PYP thread because cute

Found my camera so IT'S RODENT TIME

Every time someone rustles some paper, or walks by at the right angle, or might be thinking about feeding them again.

This is the one who chewed through my headphone cord in one bite

SOON.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Jenna seems to be way less shy than she was. I had a bunch of friends over last night and she was wandering around, wheeking and even popcorned a little bit (it's the first I've seen her do that). I'm guessing that's a sign that she's adapting well?

Zhundult
Apr 4, 2013
We got a couple pigs for our girls to have as pets, and it was the best decision we ever made. We all absolutely love having them. Here's a picture of Alyssa modeling her cowgirl hat.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Zhundult posted:

We got a couple pigs for our girls to have as pets, and it was the best decision we ever made. We all absolutely love having them. Here's a picture of Alyssa modeling her cowgirl hat.

That's the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I have a bit of a dilemma. I had plans to go out of town just for the weekend, but now I'm being sent on a business trip immediately following my trip so now I'll be gone Friday afternoon to late Tuesday night/possibly Wednesday morning.

If I'll just be gone for a day or two I'll load up the chins with double food, hay and water and they're fine, but I'm not so sure about 4 days. The obvious answer here is to get someone to come feed/check on them, but honestly I don't trust anyone here enough to be confident they won't forget or won't try to take them out of their cages to play with them (this has happened before, poor Smokey was traumatized by being manhandled).

I don't know what to do :ohdear:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

See if there are any pet-sitting services in your area. They're bonded and insured, and have people who know what they're doing with pets and will follow your instructions.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My pig Fuji who will turn 8 next month has had a lot of sludge in her urine lately, and I noticed her genitals seemed quite swollen. Took her to the vet tonight, and they squeezed this out of her urethra:

:stare:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Sirotan posted:

My pig Fuji who will turn 8 next month has had a lot of sludge in her urine lately, and I noticed her genitals seemed quite swollen. Took her to the vet tonight, and they squeezed this out of her urethra:

:stare:

Is...is that a peanut...?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

cuntvalet posted:

Is...is that a peanut...?

It's what I hope is the last bladder stone my poor pig has to deal with for the rest of her life.

But this being her second I'm not too confident in that.

Zhundult
Apr 4, 2013
Good grief that poor pig!

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Sirotan posted:

It's what I hope is the last bladder stone my poor pig has to deal with for the rest of her life.

But this being her second I'm not too confident in that.

Poor Fuji. :( Give her a forehead scratch from Jenna and I!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

:stare: Poor pig. I had a vet show me a bladder stone that came out of a horse once, that thing was about the size of two of my fists.

I think I'm going to ask around some of my coworkers I don't hate and see if one of them would be willing to swing by to check on the fuzzbutts while I'm gone. This is the one downside of no longer having roommates-- no more instant petsitters.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just got back from the vet with Fuji again, I think she's in gut stasis now. :( Waiting now to see if she is passing urine or not in between sessions of force feeding. I've brought pigs back from gut stasis before but I'm really not feeling hopeful this time.

Edit: She's eating a bit of hay right now :unsmith:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 11, 2013

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Hey this might be a long shot but I figured I'd ask anyways. It really pains me to type this... Does anyone live in or near Vegas that might want to take in a chinchilla? Please message me or let me know here. I can go into further detail then. I'm so sad making this post. :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
I got a Syrian the other day; does anyone have any recommendations for how to help a hamster lose weight? For a bit of background, I got her once she was about 8 months old already, and she had been returned to a Petsmart by multiple families because she bit kids (hasn't tried to bite me at all). She has pretty long hair, but is also a good bit chubbier than most Syrians her age.

Here she is eating a yogurt treat. I'm using these along with kale and broccoli once every couple days to help tame her, so I'm planning to move her completely off this kind of thing once she's used to me/her cage.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

What kind of food is she on? A seed mix (I.e lots of sunflower seeds and millet and all that stuff in) will be highly fattening. Pellets might be better.

I don't know if you could make your own grain mix for a hamster, but some grains & lots of veg is the way to reduce weight in fat rats iirc.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Fraction posted:

What kind of food is she on? A seed mix (I.e lots of sunflower seeds and millet and all that stuff in) will be highly fattening. Pellets might be better.

I don't know if you could make your own grain mix for a hamster, but some grains & lots of veg is the way to reduce weight in fat rats iirc.

I have her on the ecotrition mix I use for my robo and gerbils, since it doesn't contain sunflower seeds, but she just ignores the pellets in it.

e: I should add, her original owners fed her nothing but pellets and would force her into a hamster ball and kick her around their house like a soccer ball according to the people I got her from, so I'm trying to both fight her natural instinct to eat fatty food and my own desire to spoil her rotten after what she's been through.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 19, 2013

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Hey guys, this is my sister's guinea pig, Franz. Franz is a really sweet and I think she's adorable + looks awesome, but I was wondering what is up with her colors. Is she merle? Thanks!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

^^^ Tortoiseshell guinea pig.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I have her on the ecotrition mix I use for my robo and gerbils, since it doesn't contain sunflower seeds, but she just ignores the pellets in it.

e: I should add, her original owners fed her nothing but pellets and would force her into a hamster ball and kick her around their house like a soccer ball according to the people I got her from, so I'm trying to both fight her natural instinct to eat fatty food and my own desire to spoil her rotten after what she's been through.

Have you got an ingredients list? I couldn't find one.

If you want to spoil her, I'd imagine vegetables in general would be better than any fatty foods (like sunflower seeds, processed yogurt drops, peanuts, anything like that). She won't remember what's happened to her; so by feeding her any fatty stuff you're making yourself feel better, not her. :shobon:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 19, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Oh my god, who do this? Even as a dumb kid I would never have made an animal into a soccer ball. Poor ham. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Fraction posted:

^^^ Tortoiseshell guinea pig.

Yeah, I know she's tortoiseshell, I mean the white mixed with muted tortoiseshell colors on her back. I think it looks cool and I'd love to know what it is. Is it just tortoiseshell? :)