Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
its because older people have been trained to expect the flaws of vinyl as a normal thing, meanwhile younger people never put up with it and besides they aren't getting cds in the first place because its 2013.

much like all the idiots who will refuse to watch movies shot above 24 fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Install Gentoo posted:

its because older people have been trained to expect the flaws of vinyl as a normal thing, meanwhile younger people never put up with it and besides they aren't getting cds in the first place because its 2013.

much like all the idiots who will refuse to watch movies shot above 24 fps

i'm 25, i first heard vinyl at 24.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i'm 25, i first heard vinyl at 24.

oh im sorry you caught early-onset old syndrome

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Its because cd's these days are mastered way way too loud. They use dynamic compression to remove any semblance of dynamic range then mix it as near to 0dB as they can get it without clipping. (and sometimes they fail at this and it clips. Notable example is Stadium Arcadium)

http://audiogeekzine.com/2010/12/pretty-hate-machine-remaster/

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

people getting mad in that link about music that is just going to be listened to even more dynamic range compressed on terrible earbuds on ipods

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I thought they reduced dynamic range just so it would sound good on radio? Bit depth doesn't govern dynamic range, according to this awesome neckbeard (xiph employee :allears:): http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml. tl;dw it has a chapter selection too.

Ever since I watched this video everyone I read everyone's posts in this thread as his voice.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
radio stations change the sound all on their own.

vinyl has a different range of audio that can actually be played back from cd which has a different range from analog fm radio which has a different range from cassettes which have a different range from am radio and so on and so forth

analog radio stations are required by law to maintain a certain limited dynamic range in order to ensure that signal is broadcast within acceptable parameters by the way.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yah so this is why vinyl sounds better generally speaking because the format does not allow such hard mastering and the vinyl masters are produced with a different target audience in mind.

Vinyl as a medium is inferior to CD. In practice Vinyl can be far superior to CD due to different masters.

Ill sperg out about this some more tomorrow.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I thought they reduced dynamic range just so it would sound good on radio? Bit depth doesn't govern dynamic range, according to this awesome neckbeard (xiph employee :allears:): http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml. tl;dw it has a chapter selection too.

Ever since I watched this video everyone I read everyone's posts in this thread as his voice.

this entire site owns and that video vindicates everything about DSP.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spankmeister posted:

Yah so this is why vinyl sounds better generally speaking because the format does not allow such hard mastering and the vinyl masters are produced with a different target audience in mind.

Vinyl as a medium is inferior to CD. In practice Vinyl can be far superior to CD due to different masters.

Ill sperg out about this some more tomorrow.

in practice vinyl still sounds like poo poo because its 2013 and if you want that sound you can also apply an audio filter to the music file your purchased

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

spankmeister posted:

Its because cd's these days are mastered way way too loud. They use dynamic compression to remove any semblance of dynamic range then mix it as near to 0dB as they can get it without clipping. (and sometimes they fail at this and it clips. Notable example is Stadium Arcadium)

this is why you buy jvcs remasters, they keep the poo poo as close to the master tape as they can

tape hiss and everything :whatup:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

this is why you buy jvcs remasters, they keep the poo poo as close to the master tape as they can

tape hiss and everything :whatup:

microphone in front of a tape deck, the mark of quality

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

humans dont hear so good thats why audio is only 3% of the disc while video is the other 96% on a dvd/blu-ray

suck it audiohavers

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
i loving hate 5.1 and movie mastering people

"oh hey let's make the center channel real quiet and RAMP UP THE SOUND EFFECTS WE REALLY NEED THEM TO FEEL LIKE THEY'RE IN THAT EXPLOSION

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

uh, thats how a cinema mix works.

12dB of dynamic range.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ugh, i hate how the only bastion of audio engineers that try to make poo poo sound powerful and impactful are not respecting my 2$ speakers in my laptop and the software makers can't implement dynamic range normalization even though it's in the spec.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

GOD! WHY CANT YOU JUST MAKE IT SOUND GOOD?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

now that sounds so much better

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

uh, thats how a cinema mix works.

12dB of dynamic range.

just because the dynamic range is there doesn't mean it needs to be used constantly smdh

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i'm the ironic -2db attenuation in the 8k range

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Install Gentoo posted:

just because the dynamic range is there doesn't mean it needs to be used constantly smdh

theres -96dB dynamic range in 16/48K

-12dB is nothing.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pagancow posted:

theres -96dB dynamic range in 16/48K

-12dB is nothing.

if you listen really close you can hear the guy next door grunt as he takes a poo poo through concrete walls during a metal band practice with amps

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
i got paradigm studio v100s but i got rid of 5.1 because the mixing annoyed the poo poo out of me

2.0 4 lyfe

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

did you hook up an SPL meter on a tripod and point it at each speaker, and make sure each one was the same aparent loudness with proper delays set?

then of course it sounded like poo poo

pagancow style HT 4 lyfe

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
that's a lil too spergy

my receiver has a 'good enough' mic that just makes fwap noises and :effort:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i just have 2.0 cuz gently caress it really. it doesnt even have a remote control (the amp)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
if you aren't using 22.2 channel sound with proper height layering then get the gently caress out

ps thats not a movie theater

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

flyboi posted:

that's a lil too spergy

my receiver has a 'good enough' mic that just makes fwap noises and :effort:

Those can be surprisingly accurate if you can mount the microphone to something that doesn't vibrate.

You need a heavy video tripod to do that. Most are hollow and the LFE gets turned down wayyyyy to low

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pagancow posted:

now that sounds so much better

please dont post Beats by Dre proprietary information, tia

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the best thing is people who complain that beats by dre doesn't have accurate audio reproduction.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

ps thats not a movie theater

this but whispered at the moment of climax

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
https://vimeo.com/63653873

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have 2 ears hence

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

in practice vinyl still sounds like poo poo because its 2013 and if you want that sound you can also apply an audio filter to the music file your purchased

That defeats the purpose they should just do it right the first time filters can smd.

Also lol if you don't have a setup like this you are a poor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
literally where gdw masturabtes alone every night forever

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pagancow posted:

They both look rigit compared to Traditional WB/Disney stuff from the 90s when everything was done by Hand before being scanned into the comptuer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21zx7F1och8

This is a TV show too so they were more concerned about finishing on time rather than quality.

Yes Disney used CAPS to scan in, but the computer didn't assist in drawing stuff for them compared to two examples you gave up there.
Ummm... everything in the first Teen Titans vid was done by Hand. None of the puppeting or flash tweened animation people were complaining about. Did you just watch the intro and nothing past that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogJVdJwFjo&t=120s

Also this episode had a lot more effort put into the animation than most episodes of Animaniacs, though they clearly skimped on the backgrounds in comparison to Animaniacs. So yeah ~tradeoffs~.

Unless you were just talking about entirely digitally drawn animation versus the hand painted cels which were then digitally scanned in and digitally painted animation of the 90's?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 11, 2013

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

surprisingly good quality from Google street view.

~my clipped whites~

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ummm... everything in the first Teen Titans vid was done by Hand. None of the puppeting or flash tweened animation people were complaining about. Did you just watch the intro and nothing past that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogJVdJwFjo&t=120s

Also this episode had a lot more effort put into the animation than most episodes of Animaniacs, though they clearly skimped on the backgrounds in comparison to Animaniacs. So yeah ~tradeoffs~.

Unless you were just talking about entirely digitally drawn animation versus the hand painted cels which were then digitally scanned in and digitally painted animation of the 90's?

I'm pretty sure it's computer assisted, as in some of it is drawn by hand, but then animations are tweened and repurposed. It's how they are able to get proportions to stay really nice throughout the entire animation, but it feels rigid and souless for the most part.

There are some custom animations in there that do feel hand drawn, but a run cycle or anything that loops is manipulated in the computer to save time. Traditionally, every animation had to be drawn by hand, and any looping was done in editing, because digital compositing was not time efficient back then. Today it is, and I see bits and pieces of it in the video sample you gave me.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

the best thing is people who complain that beats by dre doesn't have accurate audio reproduction.

well according to Rec. ITU-R BS.708 they don't

though really etymotics are pretty much the only things that bother trying to comply anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

spankmeister posted:

californication also did this really badly, i think it might be a rhcp thing

• Locked thread