Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Quantumfate posted:

It may be girly, but it's great, and the lore you put in is pretty fun too. The functionality of it is also pretty cool, potions that can be made without alchemy and brewed up pretty fast is drat useful. A skill-less alchemy without the weight burden or needing to gather the right ingredients.

Uvirth legacy was fun, but I can't quite bring myself to play a mage now, anyone know of any mods for the hlaalu stronghold that give me more options?

And the trade-off is only being able to brew set potions that don't increase their effects with your skill. It seemed fair enough to me.

The only big Hlaalu mod I know of is Grandmasters of Hlaalu. I've heard it's decent, but I've never played it.

For those you wanting to play Telvanni again, my UL overhaul is almost done. I'm working on the new TR add-on for it right now, which should take me all week, and then it's in the hands of my beta testers for probably the rest of the month before release.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a specific HDR shader with that MGE thing that works decently? There's a whole ton of them and from trying a few they make some really nice colors but sometimes give my game oblivion-syndrome with orange faces and such.

2. Are there any mods that fix the large number of slaves with either missing or non-working keys? I was kind of pissed because I hulked out on elf-booze and murdered some slave dealer guy in Suran (after using detect key and finding that there was a key on him) only to find that his key doesn't do anything and it's impossible to free the slaves :( From what I could find online there are a couple of mods that replace running around freeing slaves with some kind of huge quest chain and I'm not so sure about that, and then about a thousand skeevy slave companion mods.

3. My modded Morrowind install is from an old computer in 2011 that I got working again. Is there any reason to update Wrye Mash or MGE if they still seem to work, like I don't know if there are any real improvements in the new versions or if it could break something horribly.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 8, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a specific HDR shader with that MGE thing that works decently? There's a whole ton of them and from trying a few they make some really nice colors but sometimes give my game oblivion-syndrome with orange faces and such.

It may not be exactly the answer you're looking for, but nowadays you should probably be using MGE-XE, not MGE, which is obsolete in virtually every way. MGE-XE has a more limited set of shaders, but it does have two different types of HDR and two different types of bloom, and all of them work correctly.

quote:

2. Are there any mods that fix the large number of slaves with either missing or non-working keys? I was kind of pissed because I hulked out on elf-booze and murdered some slave dealer guy in Suran (after using detect key and finding that there was a key on him) only to find that his key doesn't do anything and it's impossible to free the slaves :( From what I could find online there are a couple of mods that replace running around freeing slaves with some kind of huge quest chain and I'm not so sure about that, and then about a thousand skeevy slave companion mods.

I want to say that the Morrowind Community Patch (MCP) should fix this problem. I've got it installed and I've never had a problem with missing slave keys. :iiam:

quote:

3. My modded Morrowind install is from an old computer in 2011 that I got working again. Is there any reason to update Wrye Mash or MGE if they still seem to work, like I don't know if there are any real improvements in the new versions or if it could break something horribly.

Wrye Mash? Maybe not. But like your first question, MGE still had advantages over MGE-XE in 2011. Nowadays, it's pretty obsolete--although I could see where somebody might insist on using it over newer programs like MGE-XE.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Welcome to Tel Narrusa. Please speak with council if you're here on business. The lord is off his meds.

Uhhhh...

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Stuporstar posted:

Welcome to Tel Narrusa. Please speak with council if you're here on business. The lord is off his meds.

Uhhhh...

Looks like a pretty ordinary day for the Telvanni.

(What mod is this from? Against my better judgment I am very interested)

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Heavy Lobster posted:

(What mod is this from? Against my better judgment I am very interested)

My new version of Uvirith's Legacy. :ssh:

It's not out yet, but I just finished the new TR add-on for it. I kept my interest in the slogging polishing stages by adding random silly crap.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Heavy Lobster posted:

This looks exactly like what I'd expect to find in Mistress Therana's dining room.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
@Grandmasters of Hlaalu it's about on par for quality of the Uviriths Grave ones, but it has some bugs IIRC that are annoying (but don't break anything). Definitely worth it.

Shame Redoran never got anything worth it. There's a couple out there for them but they're sub-par compared to the other faction ones.

Here's a list of most of them http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Stronghold_Additions

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

There was work on a major Redoran mod, but the project died. This tends to happen with massive group projects. Before I started UL, a group called Team Uvirith was attempting something similar, but again the case of too many modders killed the project. There's so many Telvanni mods now because each was made by one dedicated modder working on cross-compatibility with the others rather than teaming up to make one mega-mod.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

This looks exactly like what I'd expect to find in Mistress Therana's dining room.

I was rather disappointed the find that the TR team just kind of copied Therana's particular obesession and tossed kwama eggs all over Tel Narrusa to indicate the lord's madness. That's why I added the ash yam council, to make it a little more than Therana 2.0, and also because I was sleep deprived and the idea made me giggle like an idiot.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 11, 2013

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders
Could somebody please seed the oggumsmods2 torrent? I'm stuck at 91%.

Also, for content: which combat overhaul should I be looking at to make Morrowind feel more like Skyrim?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've been replaying Morrowind and I've just finished tribunal up. It seems like Tribunal added lots of high end gear and deep pocketed merchants to the point where I've got 150k in my pocket and probably 3mil worth of crap laying around my base.

I've never really played bloodmoon, but what can it add that touches tribunal on this front? Or does it opt for adding powers, spells, etc?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

I've been replaying Morrowind and I've just finished tribunal up. It seems like Tribunal added lots of high end gear and deep pocketed merchants to the point where I've got 150k in my pocket and probably 3mil worth of crap laying around my base.

I've never really played bloodmoon, but what can it add that touches tribunal on this front? Or does it opt for adding powers, spells, etc?

Well, it adds an interesting questline, for one. :v:

Really though, Bloodmoon just adds a whole lot of content that's more varied than Tribunal in almost every way. Solstheim is waaay more focused than Mournhold, not to mention better integrated with the world. The enemies will provide a good challenge coming off of Tribunal, there's plenty of new Nord-themed clothing and gear that you can find, there's the obvious addition of werewolves, and the whole experience is just much more polished than anything Tribunal offers. Just give it a shot and have fun with it, it's more of the same but even better.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I accidentally told Steam to verify my game files despite having a bunch of mods + MGSO. It decided to re-acquire a bunch of them. As far as I can tell all that happened was that my mods got disabled, which took literally one second to fix in Wrye Mash, but is there some other thing that could have gotten messed up?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Negative_Kittens posted:

Could somebody please seed the oggumsmods2 torrent? I'm stuck at 91%.

Also, for content: which combat overhaul should I be looking at to make Morrowind feel more like Skyrim?

As I recall, combat is one of the only parts of Morrowind that was never extensively modded. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because the combat is pretty much the only reason I have trouble getting back into Morrowind again.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Please help me, I can't megapack mod my Morrowind. :(

I've installed three times using MGSO 3. Each time, when I get finished with all the steps and start my game, I get a black screen and a windows dialog box / error beep, and nothing else. I re-installed the game and every mod three times, each time double checking to make sure I ran everything as admin (I kept thinking I'd just forgotten to run something as admin during my install each time) but by the third try I was sure that wasn't the problem.

Finally, I tried running Morrowind.Original just to see what came up. I see I can get to the title screen, but when I select a new game I get the same error beep but this time there's a dialog box that appears and says:

code:
Script_XE_3PCrosshair_Load

Trying to RunFunction index greater than function count
There are options y/n/yes to all but I can't actually interact with the box. I tried switching my crosshair to vanilla in the MGSO Options (it was set to Oblivion style) but I get the same error in M.O and running from the launcher still gives me a black screen.

Any ideas on what I should do next?

I'm on W7 C2D 8GB with a pretty poo poo Nvidia GT430 and dual monitors, if any of that could possibly mean anything to this problem

EDIT: Tried disabling the crosshair in the menu before starting (in Morrowind.Original) and I get different error, this time referencing the mod that gives ownership info when you hover over an item, so I don't think my problem is related to one specific mod..

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 1, 2013

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I accidentally told Steam to verify my game files despite having a bunch of mods + MGSO. It decided to re-acquire a bunch of them. As far as I can tell all that happened was that my mods got disabled, which took literally one second to fix in Wrye Mash, but is there some other thing that could have gotten messed up?

Ok, I've managed to get things mostly back to the way they were. The only thing left is the problem that I can't alt-tab out without crashing anymore. It used to work fine, and alt-tabbing back in gave me a nice fade-in from black behind the menu. Does anyone have any ideas?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Ok, I've managed to get things mostly back to the way they were. The only thing left is the problem that I can't alt-tab out without crashing anymore. It used to work fine, and alt-tabbing back in gave me a nice fade-in from black behind the menu. Does anyone have any ideas?

I don't know how many times you tested it, but maybe it was just an random occurance? I alt+tab a lot while playing Morrowind and it's definitely a bit of gamble every time. Only advice I got is to quicksave before alt+tabbing.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Zilkin posted:

I don't know how many times you tested it, but maybe it was just an random occurance? I alt+tab a lot while playing Morrowind and it's definitely a bit of gamble every time. Only advice I got is to quicksave before alt+tabbing.

Before it worked every time, and now it fails every time.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I've been trying to get Galsiah's Character Development mod to work. When I run it I get an error message 'Object "!weathermage_head" not found for dialogue type Topic Info "EMPTY" ', and the game will then crash. This seems to be caused by the plugin called Cult of the Cloud?. When I disable that, I can get as far as loading up my savefile but then I get a similar message about Magicka Regen.

I have Oggumogoggum's Morrowind Mods Compilation installed and most of it works most of the time, though I do get the odd error message about certain mods not running, like the crosshair ones,, but the game still run s fine. I also have BTB's Game Improvements mod but I disabled that after getting a few unusual bugs like being unable to barter with Creeper.

Would Galsiah's mod work better if I started a new game, since I was trying to use it with a savefile, and is there anything in the compilation that I need to disable to get Galsiah's mod to work better?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Before it worked every time, and now it fails every time.

I found this program yesterday while trying to make another game alt+tabable. In my quick Morrowind test run it seemed to work well with it. Give it a try if you are still having problems.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Zilkin posted:

I found this program yesterday while trying to make another game alt+tabable. In my quick Morrowind test run it seemed to work well with it. Give it a try if you are still having problems.

I guess I can try this. I just wish I knew why it used to work.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I've been trying to get Galsiah's Character Development mod to work. When I run it I get an error message 'Object "!weathermage_head" not found for dialogue type Topic Info "EMPTY" ', and the game will then crash. This seems to be caused by the plugin called Cult of the Cloud?. When I disable that, I can get as far as loading up my savefile but then I get a similar message about Magicka Regen.

I have Oggumogoggum's Morrowind Mods Compilation installed and most of it works most of the time, though I do get the odd error message about certain mods not running, like the crosshair ones,, but the game still run s fine. I also have BTB's Game Improvements mod but I disabled that after getting a few unusual bugs like being unable to barter with Creeper.

Would Galsiah's mod work better if I started a new game, since I was trying to use it with a savefile, and is there anything in the compilation that I need to disable to get Galsiah's mod to work better?

I would definitely start by seeing if Galsiah's mod works with a new character. It doesn't seem to be a requirement (it should work with old saves, according to the readme) but it's worth a shot. Also, being unable to barter with Creeper is a deliberate change in BTB, it isn't a bug.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also, being unable to barter with Creeper is a deliberate change in BTB, it isn't a bug.

Why? :psyduck:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Because BTB is a mod you install when you want to make the game significantly harder and close up a ton of low-level loopholes like the Mudcrab Merchant, Creeper, and some spellmaking and alchemical exploits. It still permits techniques that allow you to break the game, but they generally require a greater level of thought or skill than "steal 1000 forks, sell to mudcrab, repeat". The dude that makes the plugins is probably literally autistic, and wrote a long manifesto explaining why he did all of these things. They're actually really great mods, in my opinion, but they're not for everybody.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I never really felt compelled to cheese money early by stealing tableware and selling it, but I can't imagine not having those two merchants in the late game when you're swimming in loot where one item is worth far more than however much money any merchant has to offer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I never really felt compelled to cheese money early by stealing tableware and selling it, but I can't imagine not having those two merchants in the late game when you're swimming in loot where one item is worth far more than however much money any merchant has to offer.

BTB drastically rebalances the rarity and value of loot, so you can't really be set for life by finding, say, a glass cuirass or a Daedric warhammer. For example, a Daedric Staff usually has a value of ~14,000, but BTB changes it to ~1,500 gold. The higher-tier equipment is exceedingly rare, too.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I guess I can try this. I just wish I knew why it used to work.

Trip report: program didn't do anything, Morrowind now doesn't draw anything to the screen ever (just black) and I can't fix it.

e: Okay, let me explain a little more. I set Morrowind to windowed mode, but the window was 640x480 and already borderless. All the utility did was move it to the upper-left hand corner of my screen. So I disabled it, and disabled windowed mode in Morrowind, but now Morrowind is still sticking with the 640x480 resolution apparently (judging by what happens on my second monitor), but refusing to actually draw anything in this resolution. I assume my problem is that I need to switch back to my native resolution - 1920x1080 - but I don't know how to do that (changing it in MGEXE has no effect). However, MGEXE is updating registry keys, so I have no idea what the gently caress to do to fix this.

raminasi fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 9, 2013

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Has anyone tried out Morrowind Rebirth?

It looks like a big mod compilation with several of its own additions as well. It came out with an update today and comes with directions on how to make it compatible with MGSO. My only issue is it doesn't really go into how extensive its changes are and how much they'll overlap the Great House mods or some of the other ones that add real estate to Vvardenfell.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Personally, I'm still waiting on Tamriel Rebuilt to get done. I'll put it this way. It started before Oblivion came out and they're still working on it.

Basically, Morrowind the game is actually set in Vvardenfell, the island in the middle of Morrowind. Well, the team is trying to build the rest of Morrowind around the island. They're taking forever, but they still update the site so I'd assume it's not total vaporware yet. So far they've split the landmass into 6 regions and have released 2 to the public. Both are very good and very detailed, with lots of quests to do and diverse environments to explore, which had better be the case because holy poo poo did it take a while.

Can't wait for the whole thing to come out. Hopefully it will before I'm like 60.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Running BTB's entire recommend mod page is something you do when you want the game to be challenging, not "get off the boat, steal alchemy apparatus, cheese alchemy and make 100% chameleon and thousands and thousands of gold."

It is actually quite good and his changes are all well documented and sensible.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GreatGreen posted:

Personally, I'm still waiting on Tamriel Rebuilt to get done. I'll put it this way. It started before Oblivion came out and they're still working on it.

Basically, Morrowind the game is actually set in Vvardenfell, the island in the middle of Morrowind. Well, the team is trying to build the rest of Morrowind around the island. They're taking forever, but they still update the site so I'd assume it's not total vaporware yet. So far they've split the landmass into 6 regions and have released 2 to the public. Both are very good and very detailed, with lots of quests to do and diverse environments to explore, which had better be the case because holy poo poo did it take a while.

Can't wait for the whole thing to come out. Hopefully it will before I'm like 60.

I've yet to really play Morrowind but I am looking forward to it. I'd like to play Tamerial Rebuilt but for the time being it looks like its between Morrowind Overhaul http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/ and Morrowind Rebirth. I think they can be combined but it's not recommended? Overhaul redoes the graphics but I am assuming Rebirth does too?
Edit:

Although reading the features it doesn't seem like ReBirth adds graphics upgrades just much more content and fine tuning.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I think they can be combined but it's not recommended? Overhaul redoes the graphics but I am assuming Rebirth does too?
Edit:

Although reading the features it doesn't seem like ReBirth adds graphics upgrades just much more content and fine tuning.

According to the Morrowind Rebirth author it's totally compatible with Tamriel Rebuilt and requires some fine tuning to be compatible with MGSO.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Running BTB's entire recommend mod page is something you do when you want the game to be challenging, not "get off the boat, steal alchemy apparatus, cheese alchemy and make 100% chameleon and thousands and thousands of gold."

It is actually quite good and his changes are all well documented and sensible.

Heck yeah. A significant majority of my load order is composed of BTB recommended mods and plugins that have been edited to mesh with the original BTB suite. It definitely isn't for everybody (there's a lot of controversial stuff, like the aforementioned mudcrab/creeper changes, as well as "miscellaneous" skills only improving via trainer) but it's nothing if not thoughtful. It's difficult to get rich, harder to stay rich, and a lot of leveling feels like you're genuinely growing as a character. Also, I'm pretty happy with how he broke the linearity of weapons and equipment, giving materials various strengths and weaknesses so they remain viable.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Jabarto posted:

As I recall, combat is one of the only parts of Morrowind that was never extensively modded. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because the combat is pretty much the only reason I have trouble getting back into Morrowind again.

This never really got answered, and I'm really interested in it myself since I've been getting some Morrowind urges lately but really don't want to have to stand around left-clicking constantly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh woah, I forgot that "BTB's mods" was a big list of stuff rather than a few gameplay tweaks that he made. I'm going to have to install that list on my next computer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

This never really got answered, and I'm really interested in it myself since I've been getting some Morrowind urges lately but really don't want to have to stand around left-clicking constantly.

Off the top of my head, there's Always Hit Morrowind, which removes the CTH aspect from the game and makes every hit connect. It's a crude solution, but there really aren't any mods that will capture the combat of Skyrim beyond getting rid of the constant whiffing.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Heavy Lobster posted:

There's never really been a mod which makes combat significantly less of a clickfest and (while I don't want to try to predict the modding community) I doubt there's ever really going to be one, considering how much of the actual engine would need to be modified and how much new content would need to be created at the same time.

The best suggestion I have is to not use a sword for combat and instead try magic, stealth, or marksman.

Edit: Oh, while I was here (and actually had some free time for the first time in months), I did something I've wanted to do for a while and switched the common problems section with the modlist section in the OP, so expect to see more people who didn't feel like reading that far posting with common errors but also more posts with awesome mods.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 10, 2013

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Does morroblivion make the game's combat the same as Oblivion's?

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Does morroblivion make the game's combat the same as Oblivion's?

Yes, all the mechanics work like oblivion in morroblivion, so it also has fast travel and such. You can also use deadly reflex to make the combat less bad.

Abysswalker fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I figured out my resolution problem: MGE XE doesn't update the correct registry keys. The correct ones are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind