Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

If everyone's stuck as a Mime, all they'll have is Item and Mimic :eng99:

I know, I was trying to think of the single least interesting team composition. Feel like that might still be possible, although it'd be monumentally tedious.

Of course it can't work because Galuf doesn't have a sprite for Mime or the GBA jobs, but it's funny to think of some poor sucker getting stuck with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Oh, it'd work, but Galuf would be invisible for about half the game.

Actually it wouldn't be THAT hard to do, you could just use an unlock-all-jobs cheat code. I don't think it would cause any major issues, AFAIK none of the progress in the game is based on flags for you having or not having a particular job. Some of the later classes would suffer from spell or equipment availability.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 11, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Galuf can still be a Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Necromancer/Cannoneer even without sprites. He's just invisible in battle, and appears as a Freelancer in the menu.

The White Dragon posted:

If everyone's stuck as a Mime, all they'll have is Item and Mimic :eng99:

Mimes can equip Rods. :getin:

...Okay, yes, I know reaching Karnak will be painfully difficult/flatout impossible but still.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

...Okay, yes, I know reaching Karnak will be painfully difficult/flatout impossible but still.

Feel like it'd be possible, just incredibly miserable. Siren would be the big brick wall, her gimmick would take a lot of finagling to get around. The good news is that once you're past her, Magissa/Forza shouldn't be too bad and Garula's a joke with the ice rod, so it's relatively smooth sailing to Karnak. From there you get to look forward to only being able to do rod-level damage for the rest of the game, of course.

Yeah, I have no idea how you'd kill Neo Ex-Death. Grinding Metamorphs for Judgment Staffs and an unbelievable run of luck maybe.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ProfessorProf posted:

As it turns out, the reason the friend I was asking for was having so much trouble was that he didn't realize that the shop screens scroll in the GBA version of the game, so the only spell he knew was Cure. :v:

My own party - Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Bard, Chemist - is at the start of world 3 and violently tearing the game to pieces.

Did the FJF start again this year? I want to do it on the iOS version.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Did the FJF start again this year? I want to do it on the iOS version.

Not yet; loads of people do them on their own, though, by using random.org or similar.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We may want to do a separate thread for it this year, as it took over this entire thread last year and there's more than enough interest for it to warrant its own thread, plus it'll grab people's attention better.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's not till July with pre-reg in june I believe so we can worry about that when it comes.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dragonatrix posted:

Galuf can still be a Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Necromancer/Cannoneer even without sprites. He's just invisible in battle, and appears as a Freelancer in the menu.

Shaezerus and I are trying to find a way to fix that - we have the sprites, just no idea how to put them in the game. :negative:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Mega64 posted:

We may want to do a separate thread for it this year, as it took over this entire thread last year and there's more than enough interest for it to warrant its own thread, plus it'll grab people's attention better.

Yes please do this, I had to bail on this thread last time because I could not give a poo poo about FJF.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Feel like it'd be possible, just incredibly miserable. Siren would be the big brick wall, her gimmick would take a lot of finagling to get around. The good news is that once you're past her, Magissa/Forza shouldn't be too bad and Garula's a joke with the ice rod, so it's relatively smooth sailing to Karnak.

I think Siren and Magissa/Forza would be the other way around, really.

Siren'd be more than doable by hitting her with Potions in her Zombie form. Magissa/Forza would be a lot more slow and roundabout since they don't have anything you can take advantage of, unless you use the Frost Rod there... but then you're screwed come Garula. With decent equipment from Carwen, and the flail from the graveyard, it'd certainly be doable eventually. Just might take a while longer than usual.

E; Thinking on it now, the next boss that'd be difficult would be the Sandworm due to the way it moves around.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Yes please do this, I had to bail on this thread last time because I could not give a poo poo about FJF.

Yeah, agree. FF5 is fun and all but reading 30 pages in a row of people saying "my team is X, Y and Z" got pretty old after the first couple. A separate thread would make more sense.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
How many versions of FF4 are there?
I was probably just going to play it on Zsnes with the translated Japan rom. The one where Cecil has the Dark Attack.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I was probably just going to play it on Zsnes with the translated Japan rom. The one where Cecil has the Dark Attack.

There's the original, Easy Type, the NA release, the PS1 release, which is based on the original, the GBA release, the DS release, the PSP release, which is based on the GBA release, and the iOS release, which is based on the DS release.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 14, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Johnny Aztec posted:

That's the SNES Hardtype. There was originally just Hardtype and Easytype, the latter of which was released for the US SNES. The healing items are more basic and all-encompassing, and it dumps all the debuff items as well as most of the unique battle abilities like Darkness, Fake Tears, Recall, Bear, etc. Incidentally, FF2's final boss is the Hardtype one anyway, Easytype Zeromus is much weaker :downs:

The third version is the DS version, which is unbalanced and sucks and just wants to see you cry. They might've reworked it again for the PSP anthology, but I can't tell you that for certain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Last year my party was Black Mage/Time Mage/Archer/Samurai. I'd say I got pretty god drat lucky.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Saigyouji posted:

There's the original, Easy Type, the NA release, the PS1 release, which is based on the original, the GBA release, the DS release, the PSP release, which is based on the GBA release, and the iOS release, which is based on the DS release.

There's also ones for the Wonderswan Color (which is where the GBA release was generally lifted from) and a cellphone version using some of After Years's assets. So, about ten different releases total, eleven if you count Virtual Console.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd recommend either the PSP version or the GBA one if you don't have a PSP/Vita. Make sure you get the European GBA version, since the USA release has a lot of bugs. These two use the same translation, which I heard was done by a goon. Cid namedrops this site when you first talk to him.

The DS version is made for people who have already mastered the game, and completely rebalances the difficulty. It's also in 3D and has voiced acted cutscenes, but the DS' capabilities are pretty poor, so I prefer the high resolution 2D sprites used in the PSP version.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I suppose I could find a GBA rom easily enough. I just don't "get" mobile RPGs on a tiny screen.
I refused to touch the DS version, due to the horrendous voice acting.

It's not like I haven't played, and replayed, FF4 numerous times on the actual hardware, and even more times on emulators later. Hell, nowdays I find it harder and harder to go back to straight up console RPGs.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

glod posted:

I know we had two people that got Knight/3 Berserkers last year but I feel like Thief/3 Berserkers would be much worse :ohdear: I wonder if that'll happen this year? Or what other gimmicks there will be instead of (in addition to?) Berserker Risk... I'm excited for June!

Thief/3 Berkserkers wouldn't be that much worse than Knight, and would probably be easier stuff. You basically trade Equip Swords and Two Handed for Steal and Footwork.

Equip Swords is awesome for Berserkers, don't get me wrong. The biggest losses here will come from the Brave Blade and the Defender. The Brave Blade lets you do amazing amounts of consistent damage while the Defender is an Elf Cape that lets you equip Running Shoes and lets you cast Protect. Those of you who followed my FJF run know that the Defender was a key part of my strategy. Two Handed is also quite nice, but involves giving up a shield. Normally, this is fine, but Thieves are capable of outfitting all three Berserkers with Aegis Shields, so Two Handed is less nice.

However!

The only relevant ability Thief gives to Berserker is Footwork. Probably the lamest ability in the game, right? Except that absent any of the more direct offensive power ups, Thief level agility is a huge buff to Berserkers. Certainly a worthy trade.

But what about Steal? Steal can nab loads of goodies. Notably, a third Aegis Shield, a second Titan's Axe, and the Genji equipment (notable the Helm, protecting against Mini, and the Armor, protecting against Toad. Both also protect against Confuse but Berserkers are innately immune to that). A bigger gain, however, is in an early Earth Hammer from Titan, which used on anyone but Lenna in the SNES version will make the second world a whole lot easier (than it already is considering how many bosses are trivialized by the Doom Axe).

The biggest gain, though, is !Mug. No, really. !Mug will allow the Thief to bypass the !Flee effect of the Chicken Knife. Backed up by this, the Thief becomes a fully working fourth offensive party member. You lose out on the Defender and the Flame Ring, but you gain insane damage. It's a fair trade, I feel.

The biggest problem is likely to be Neo Exdeath. With no way to protect against any part of Grand Cross, the Thief is really vulnerable. Unfortunately, there's no good way to take advantage of any weaknesses, so the best bet is slamming down attacks on it after the requisite opening Odin/Golem barrage from the Magic Lamp. Ironically, you do not want Shoat to hit here: killing the Almagest part is all well and good, but then you're just left with Grand Cross and Vaccuum Wave, which means you now want to spread damage out between two parts. Not what you want to be doing when Grand Cross is around.

Still, it all sounds quite doable. Thief will need some extra levels in order to survive Almagest with some consistency but other than that, there shouldn't be any real hiccups.

So, in the end, Thief has a lot to offer to Berserkers. The speed is a big one, as are the extra items, but I'd say the biggest asset is the ability to aid in the blinding offense with some pin point Chicken Knifing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

That loving Sned posted:

I'd recommend either the PSP version or the GBA one if you don't have a PSP/Vita. Make sure you get the European GBA version, since the USA release has a lot of bugs. These two use the same translation, which I heard was done by a goon. Cid namedrops this site when you first talk to him.

The DS version is made for people who have already mastered the game, and completely rebalances the difficulty. It's also in 3D and has voiced acted cutscenes, but the DS' capabilities are pretty poor, so I prefer the high resolution 2D sprites used in the PSP version.

I also prefer the sprites in the PSP version over the 3D of the DS version. The PSP also has the re-arranged soundtrack of the DS so that's nice too. And if you're into it, the sequel episodic game the After Years is also included with the upgraded sprites so it's probably the best version in that case. It is quite a bit easier overall than the DS version, at least in my experience so your mileage may vary.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

That's the SNES Hardtype. There was originally just Hardtype and Easytype, the latter of which was released for the US SNES. The healing items are more basic and all-encompassing, and it dumps all the debuff items as well as most of the unique battle abilities like Darkness, Fake Tears, Recall, Bear, etc. Incidentally, FF2's final boss is the Hardtype one anyway, Easytype Zeromus is much weaker :downs:

Actually, the US SNES release comes inbetween Hardtype and Easytype. Easytype was released after the US release, and contains even more things to make it easier. For one, the Ribbon now absorbs all elements on top of blocking all statuses. You are right about the final boss; Easytype Zeromus also has a completely different sprite. Easytype Zeromus's sprite later became the sprite for Zeromus EG in the GBA and PSP versions. (I have no idea where the woman attached to EG comes from though)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Bought Final Fantasy Dimensions. I'm less than an hour in, but it's pretty good so far. Hard to get used to touchscreen controls, but I'll deal.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Miracon posted:

Actually, the US SNES release comes inbetween Hardtype and Easytype. Easytype was released after the US release, and contains even more things to make it easier. For one, the Ribbon now absorbs all elements on top of blocking all statuses. You are right about the final boss; Easytype Zeromus also has a completely different sprite. Easytype Zeromus's sprite later became the sprite for Zeromus EG in the GBA and PSP versions. (I have no idea where the woman attached to EG comes from though)

I'll be honest, I've never been able to tell a difference in the difficulty levels of the SNES/GBA versions of FF4. I feel like Hardtype isn't much harder than the US version at all, and one of the ways in which they made the US version "easier" was taking out a bunch of character abilities and poo poo some of which were useful.

The DS version is definitely the most difficult, and the others are pretty much interchangeable. I legit can't even tell which version FF4A is based on.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Johnny Aztec posted:

I refused to touch the DS version, due to the horrendous voice acting.

I never played any DS FF, but I find it hard to believe the DS version of retro FF games have voice acting. Is this true?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the DS one is the only one worth playing these days honestly. I don't like the visuals but it's the only one that you can't sleepwalk through. The PSP one otherwise is probably the one to go for otherwise but the DS one is the only one I really find fun anymore.

Grawl posted:

I never played any DS FF, but I find it hard to believe the DS version of retro FF games have voice acting. Is this true?

Yes, it has voice acting, but I don't recall it being particularly bad. It's more of a remake than a straight port.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Grawl posted:

Indeed. Liam O'Brien plays a mean Kain. Also Cecil sounds very child-ish.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
FF4's does because it was remade in 3D and they added some voice acting. It's really just generic for the most part, I wouldn't even call it close to terrible.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Cecil screaming about the Summoner Village being blown up was hilarious, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The voice acting was pretty awesome in FFIV DS I thought. Tellah's voice owned.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The voice acting was pretty awesome in FFIV DS I thought. Tellah's voice owned.

Yeah, the acting is cheesy but well done. When people talk about horrible FFIVDS voice acting, they usually mean that the voices of the characters don't match up with what they've been sounding like in their heads since they were kids, which is quite reasonable. From a technical standpoint, though, FFIVDS has very good acting: the emotions are all conveyed, no one sounds like an emotionless hulk or that they're phoning it in. Please, no one take people saying FFIV has bad voice acting as "it sounds like The Room" or something horrible like that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The main problem with FFIV DS's voice acting is that Cecil is called "Seh-sill", not "See-sill". :colbert:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Kyrosiris posted:

The main problem with FFIV DS's voice acting is that Cecil is called "Seh-sill", not "See-sill". :colbert:

that's how the name Cecil is pronounced though :confused: Also if I want to get all goony in Japanese it would sound more like the former than the latter.

I played the undub and it was fine, by the way

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

that's how the name Cecil is pronounced though :confused:

I take it "See-sill" is for US/Canada and "Seh-sill" is everyone else?

I don't really have much of a nostalgia filter for any of the Final Fantasies barring Tactics so I'm fine with new, voiced versions, honestly.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The most famous person with that name to the average adult male in the U.S. is arguably Cecil (Seh-Sil) Fielder.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

Indeed. Liam O'Brien plays a mean Kain. Also Cecil sounds very child-ish.

The only thing about the DS voice acting that I couldn't get over for a little while was how Edward was voiced by Viral Sam Riegel.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
They honestly should've just gotten OverLooked Remix's Dasaten to do Cecil's voice. He would've done a better job than what they got :colbert:

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I played through FFIV DS and I can't even remember any of the voice acting in it. It must have been pretty generic, I don't recall it being good or bad.

That being said FFIV DS is pretty much a complete remake and not even really necessarily a better game then the original FFIV (it is much more challenging though), and was obviously made for people who already have the first game memorized (like me). I liked it a lot though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

I also prefer the sprites in the PSP version over the 3D of the DS version. The PSP also has the re-arranged soundtrack of the DS so that's nice too. And if you're into it, the sequel episodic game the After Years is also included with the upgraded sprites so it's probably the best version in that case. It is quite a bit easier overall than the DS version, at least in my experience so your mileage may vary.

It bears repeating that the DS version isn't hard because it was rebalanced well. It's hard because the balance is all over the place and you can end up with normal fights that are harder than most bosses (except Leviathan and CPU which are pretty absurd, the latter especially) and while some easy bosses actually have a challenge now(golbez), others not so much(Rubicant is still a joke). Flame Dogs will straight up murder you instantly if you don't have fire reduction (and you won't when you go to Zot at the least) far worse than the other versions of the game and so will some random encounters on the moon, unless you have omnicast on Rosa then the first are zero risk. The sealed weapon bosses in the Lunar Subterrane are all as easy or easier than their SNES counterparts...etc. The more augments you get the easier things become. Having Cecil use draw attacks + counter removes a lot of single-hit threats from the game. Giving Rosa stuff like double/omnicast means you just hasted the entire party at the start of a fight, or maybe you just walled everyone because the enemy is a bunch of magic users and you can sit back and let them suicide off your wall (as a few enemies do in places like the moon).

I guess if you never bother with augments it's hard but if you're picking them up the only real difficulty is annoying poo poo like the CPU starting off with an attack that is going to kill everyone except cecil unless you have everyone guard in that half second before they attack and even then you're going to be down to just Cecil and Edge(maybe) unless you overleveled yourself.

Oh and they added a custom summon for Rydia. I guess maxxing its stats as much as possible early on can make it useful to a degree but even with high stats there's not much reason to use it instead of Rydia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

It bears repeating that the DS version isn't hard because it was rebalanced well. It's hard because the balance is all over the place and you can end up with normal fights that are harder than most bosses (except Leviathan and CPU which are pretty absurd, the latter especially) and while some easy bosses actually have a challenge now(golbez), others not so much(Rubicant is still a joke). Flame Dogs will straight up murder you instantly if you don't have fire reduction (and you won't when you go to Zot at the least) far worse than the other versions of the game and so will some random encounters on the moon, unless you have omnicast on Rosa then the first are zero risk. The sealed weapon bosses in the Lunar Subterrane are all as easy or easier than their SNES counterparts...etc. The more augments you get the easier things become. Having Cecil use draw attacks + counter removes a lot of single-hit threats from the game. Giving Rosa stuff like double/omnicast means you just hasted the entire party at the start of a fight, or maybe you just walled everyone because the enemy is a bunch of magic users and you can sit back and let them suicide off your wall (as a few enemies do in places like the moon).

I guess if you never bother with augments it's hard but if you're picking them up the only real difficulty is annoying poo poo like the CPU starting off with an attack that is going to kill everyone except cecil unless you have everyone guard in that half second before they attack and even then you're going to be down to just Cecil and Edge(maybe) unless you overleveled yourself.

Oh and they added a custom summon for Rydia. I guess maxxing its stats as much as possible early on can make it useful to a degree but even with high stats there's not much reason to use it instead of Rydia.

Yes, all the difficulty in the game really seems to stem from the question "Did you get the Augments?" They seem to trivialize such a large amount of the game if you get them and use them. The beginning seems harder than anything else. It's been a while since I played but I seem to remember enemies early on doing far more damage and moving faster than I'm used to.