Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

think mcfly think! posted:

I apologize, after living in Japan for 3 years I seem to have completely forgotten that foreign food is even a thing that exists. As soon as I get tired of the abdominal pain that inevitably follows sketchy street ttokbokki I'll give Ulsan a visit.

I have only barely been to Busan so my knowledge of what's available there is limited. Korean food is fine but the range is very limited, you'll likely be hunting for more exotic fare soon enough. Fortunately, it is around if you are willing to look a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
There's a bunch of good Kebab places in Busan, I don't know about other Turkish food. PNU has some good Indian food, there's a few Mexican places around.

Also Korean food is very rarely spicy, despite my coteachers freaking out if I pick up anything red.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I miss the friendly neighbourhood spicy honey fried chicken in a cup man. That poo poo was crack. Like 'sweet Jesus it burns but I want MORE'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I miss fire chicken. There used to be places everywhere but I don't see them anymore.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So I want my secondgraders to practice classroom commands, but they can't read English. What's the solution? Put my awkward rear end on youtube.

xx

If you want to see it you'll have to be quick, I'm only putting this here so I can copy it from my work computer.

Edit: too late.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
I miss This is Chicken, the skinhead-themed chicken hof in Hongdae. Fortunately there's a new chicken place down the block called Zion Boat that has pretty decent jerked chicken, so hopefully that'll fill the void.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
Someone who grabbed it post a link please.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I'm learning that it's quite common for the lower grades to not know how to read. Apparently for Seoul the curriculum is like this.
3rd: listening
4th: listening and speaking
5th: listening and speaking and reading
6th: listening and speaking and reading and writing
You learn the alphabet at the end of 4th grade... Maybe

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's weird. All I did with first and second graders was teach the alphabet and basic phonics. A lot of kids couldn't read because they refused to try, but they were certainly taught.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

I'm learning that it's quite common for the lower grades to not know how to read. Apparently for Seoul the curriculum is like this.
3rd: listening
4th: listening and speaking
5th: listening and speaking and reading
6th: listening and speaking and reading and writing
You learn the alphabet at the end of 4th grade... Maybe

The enforce teaching it; they just don't enforce retaining it.

Reading is strictly optional because you're pushed ahead regardless and if you miss that window for the alphabet it's not like the teacher of grade 6 will backtrack.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Whizbang posted:

There's a bunch of good Kebab places in Busan, I don't know about other Turkish food. PNU has some good Indian food, there's a few Mexican places around.

Is there anywhere in Busan to get Russian/Polish food?

I'd murder a bit of borscht before the weather gets too hot.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

joedevola posted:

Is there anywhere in Busan to get Russian/Polish food?

I'd murder a bit of borscht before the weather gets too hot.

Russia-town is literally right across the street from the train station. Look for the really sketchy place.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've seen a lot of Russian restaurants (and met more Russian people than any other kind of non-English teacher immigrants) but I haven't found anything Polish. And I've been looking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Polish you have to make yourself. The best Russian restaurant in Busan closed but there should be borscht in that area. The best borscht I have had was at the Kazakh joint in Seoul.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm not sure if Gyeongbuk's curriculum is drastically different from Seoul's, but even the lowest level kids can read phonetically very well by the time they reach high-school here. There's a high probability that they won't understand what they're reading, but they'll pronounce it just fine.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

hey fellows,
I want to try to get a group/team/whatever together for the barefoot festival 13km barefoot run:
http://www.barefootfesta.com/
It's all on wellbeing eco-clay or something? I don't really know. I've never done a barefoot run before so I have no idea what I'm talking about. It looks neat and it'll either be fun or my calves will literally explode.
What I do know is that it's free for foreigners.

Afterwards we can eat meats and drink lots of beer.

This is a really terrible invitation, I'm sorry.
Anyway if any of this appeals to you, my kakao is jarena3.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Good choice of soundtrack, but that's too crazy for me. Good luck to everyone who goes, I may be at the end with the food and drinks.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah, when it gets closer to the date I'll try and arrange a proper goonmeet for afterwards. I know there's a handful of people in Daejeon and it's not a bad city to hang out in.
Probably just chicken and barcrawl, but that's always a pretty decent time.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

What's the deal with those little bottles of human placenta extract at pharmacies? The box says it's made from all Korean human placenta but that can't be right, right?

Just the logistics of getting that much placenta...

I mean if I can verify it's really human and not cow placenta I'll get one just so I can try it, but I need to know it's legit.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It's good for stamina.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Could be heavily diluted. Like the juice bottles that are 3% juice. Or diluted in the homeopathy sense 1/1000000th percent.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

DontAskKant posted:

Could be heavily diluted. Like the juice bottles that are 3% juice. Or diluted in the homeopathy sense 1/1000000th percent.

That'd be pretty potent for a homeopathy solution.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
The head English teacher gifted me a jar of placenta cream that he bought during a training session in New Zealand. Sadly, it's not god tier human placenta. It's just sheep placenta.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I discovered where they stack all the cardboard in Nonsan. It isn't even locked and has open access. I wonder if I could just steal it every night (there's no one where it's at) and then sell it back to them the next day.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Maxsmart posted:

I discovered where they stack all the cardboard in Nonsan. It isn't even locked and has open access. I wonder if I could just steal it every night (there's no one where it's at) and then sell it back to them the next day.

Nah, go to Ethiopia. The starving kids there don't even fight back when you steal their lunch money.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

terivinix posted:

Nah, go to Ethiopia. The starving kids there don't even fight back when you steal their lunch money.

Shut the gently caress up dad.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
There's a nice bar in Hongdae that a friend of mine runs that has plenty of room, decent enough sound system, cheap drinks and a massive projector screen to play movies or video games on. Less than a 5 minute walk from Hongdae park too so not in a bad location; just one not so heavily traveled. Did some beer pong, Tekken, Simpsons viewing and DJing not long ago and I'd say overall seems like a good place if he can keep it going.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Post/pm location?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

aeglus posted:

There's a nice bar in Hongdae that a friend of mine runs that has plenty of room, decent enough sound system, cheap drinks and a massive projector screen to play movies or video games on. Less than a 5 minute walk from Hongdae park too so not in a bad location; just one not so heavily traveled. Did some beer pong, Tekken, Simpsons viewing and DJing not long ago and I'd say overall seems like a good place if he can keep it going.
Don't tease. What's the name/location?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

"South Koreans don't worry about North Korea" until a transformer or whatever blows outside, makes a giant bang then all the lights go off lol.

Today was awesome.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BrainDance posted:

"South Koreans don't worry about North Korea" until a transformer or whatever blows outside, makes a giant bang then all the lights go off lol.

Today was awesome.

OK, yeah, I'd have liked to have been there for that.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

My co-teacher said a friend of hers in Seoul told her that their gringo had hosed off home because of this bullshit with the North.

It's possible she has just mistaken my shaking hands for apocalyptic anxiety, as opposed to the regular kind, and was testing the waters.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Do you guys even have any kind of 'out' written in your contract in regards to war? Or is it just a cut and run situation?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Cut and run

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

joedevola posted:

My co-teacher said a friend of hers in Seoul told her that their gringo had hosed off home because of this bullshit with the North.

It's possible she has just mistaken my shaking hands for apocalyptic anxiety, as opposed to the regular kind, and was testing the waters.

Oh really? If they're looking for a replacement I think I could hook them up. They might have to settle for Australians though.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

terivinix posted:

Oh really? If they're looking for a replacement I think I could hook them up. They might have to settle for Australians though.

Parental pressure I bet. A lot of my friend's parents are losing their minds due to the constant fear-mongering going on. It's awful.

Also who lives in Daegu here? And why the gently caress did you never tell me about the Chicken and Beer Festival?

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
Because if we told outsiders it means less chicken and beer for the rest of us.

It's always on when I'm on vacation as well though this year my holiday starts on the Friday so I might just delay flying out by a day or two and hit it up on my way to the airport.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

For all my affected nonchalance about the 'crisis' I just had a bit of a panic. My co-teacher kept getting calls in class, at one point she had to literally run out to go to the main office. A little after she got back there was another call which caused her to start changing channels on the TV I was using to teach.

I thought for sure she was gonna land on some news footage of Jongno with craters all over it.

I need some Xanax, Jesus.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Was SNSD premeiring a new song or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I think our contract has a basic force majeure clause. In case of war the contract is over, nobody owes anyone anything. Which is usually worse for the employee.

• Locked thread