Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nutty
Mar 3, 2005

i am tim! posted:

Hey, so the combo books. Will they give me their bonus in the field if I leave them in the box or will I need to carry them with me?

You would need to have them on you. You can test this pretty quickly by checking the combo chance when combining in your box, then close the box and combine in your inventory. You only get the book bonus when they are in the same inventory as the combining items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I got an EarthDragonGem on my first Jhen Mohran kill :clint:

Things that bug me, why can't you use your box in solo after accepting a quest? Why can you in multiplayer but not touch your gear? Why can't you BBQ in town? Why is a crappy fishing minigame even in the game when you have way more effective fishing boats?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 10, 2013

Mr. Nutty
Mar 3, 2005

It seems like a really cheap way to allow for challenge quests like slay 20 bulfangos without wearing armor. There isn't anything in place to stop you from changing your armor after accepting that quest other than the lack of access to your equipment. It feels like a tacked on restriction to me rather than an intentional choice.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Office Thug posted:

If you're going to trap something, always ALWAYS bring 2 trap kits and 2 thunderbugs (or nets if it's Zinogre, also gently caress Zinogre), on top of the shock or pitfall trap. Because poo poo happens and it's really nice when you can just make backup traps. You can buy trap kits from general vendors and the backpack granny will carry thunderbugs (on sale!) sometimes so you will never run out of traps or trap materials again.

I've been doing this for a while, since sometimes a monster will zone out the moment you set down a trap (Lagiacrus you are ever a jerk) and sometimes you want to capture all three monsters in a three-hunt. Is there a good way to get nets/webs, though? Being able to always have a Pitfall is nice, since otherwise you need perfection to capture three. Having the chance to miss once would be nice. I guess, making the other hunters bring traps, too, is an option.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I did the 'drive off Lagiarcus' mission today and wrecked his poo poo. He ran away rather than dying, and I don't think I broke any parts, but it felt GOOD.

And then I tried Gigginox and wow that was the fastest death ever. The poison and the way he can attack from everywhere, and the palpable seconds that pass when I get knocked overs and his design is so effectively disgusting and urgh I'm not sure what I should be doing against this rear end in a top hat. But I want that vampire armour so bad.

The swings of the Hunting Horn are maybe not so great here. But it's the only fire weapon I've got. drat. Maybe I can try my sweet electric chainsaw katana-thing. I don't think he's weak to it, but it's faster, and pokes seem like a safer bet.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What are the basics of bodies disappearing and what's the best way to manage the system and not lose carving chances? I'm around 15 hours in and I'm so glad that Monster Hunter is clicking with me but the systems and mechanics are really overwhelming sometimes. That said, I really appreciate you guys being so helpful and not dickish to idiots like me because without all the info I never would have found my new favorite game :D

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Yeah. I figure they would have listened to fans complaining about unintuitive "one trap out at a time" bullshit since it has been in the series since day 1, but nope. You can't pick up traps, you can't destroy traps, and you can arbitrarily only place one at a time, because...? :spergin:

It's a game design thing, not necessarily a "does this work in a logically consistent world". The way it works makes trap timing, location, coordination, etc. way more important because it imposes a (pretty serious) risk on loving it up. MH is a game that's supposed to be fairly punishing on mistakes.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

Six Of Spades posted:

I did the 'drive off Lagiarcus' mission today and wrecked his poo poo. He ran away rather than dying, and I don't think I broke any parts, but it felt GOOD.

And then I tried Gigginox and wow that was the fastest death ever. The poison and the way he can attack from everywhere, and the palpable seconds that pass when I get knocked overs and his design is so effectively disgusting and urgh I'm not sure what I should be doing against this rear end in a top hat. But I want that vampire armour so bad.

The swings of the Hunting Horn are maybe not so great here. But it's the only fire weapon I've got. drat. Maybe I can try my sweet electric chainsaw katana-thing. I don't think he's weak to it, but it's faster, and pokes seem like a safer bet.

For what it may be worth to you, I'm exactly where you are on the village and less than 15 minutes ago I packed Gigginox's poo poo in using the Queropeco Switch Axe.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

jymbojones posted:

For what it may be worth to you, I'm exactly where you are on the village and less than 15 minutes ago I packed Gigginox's poo poo in using the Queropeco Switch Axe.

I've actually not touched the switch axe (on this playthrough) yet. It seems popular (and the mechanics seem pretty dope), but considering how grinding for resources alone isn't the most fun thing you can do in the game, I've been rather Opportunity Cost focused in deciding what to upgrade. I shall give the upgrade tree for it a look and play around in Free Hunt a bit.

Part of me would rather not fight Gigginox at all. I'm usually not put off by things in games but eww. Eventually smashing it into bits may be cathartic...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Brett824 posted:

It's a game design thing, not necessarily a "does this work in a logically consistent world". The way it works makes trap timing, location, coordination, etc. way more important because it imposes a (pretty serious) risk on loving it up. MH is a game that's supposed to be fairly punishing on mistakes.

No but you see the game should accomodate my desire to trap a monster on the same screen it starts limping because

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Six Of Spades posted:

I've actually not touched the switch axe (on this playthrough) yet. It seems popular (and the mechanics seem pretty dope), but considering how grinding for resources alone isn't the most fun thing you can do in the game, I've been rather Opportunity Cost focused in deciding what to upgrade. I shall give the upgrade tree for it a look and play around in Free Hunt a bit.

Part of me would rather not fight Gigginox at all. I'm usually not put off by things in games but eww. Eventually smashing it into bits may be cathartic...

He's pretty weak to fire so use a fire weapon if you have it. His worst attack is his bellyflop so make sure you pay attention if he stands up on his hind legs. It could be a normal bellyflop or one with poison. If he turns purple, get out of there because you cannot block poison. His bright purple eggs also give off poison when they explode so stay away from those as well. I'd say his second worst attack is where he swings his stretchy head out at you in both directions. There's not much of a tell for that one so try not to stay in range of it for too long. As you get better you can roll through this attack if you time a roll into the attack just barely before it hits (we're talking single digit frames). If he jumps up to the ceiling just keep moving. If you hold still you're going to get smashed by his bellyflop or you're going to take a poison shot to the face. Finally, when he goes into rage mode and his body turns black, your attacks will bounce off of his head but not his body or tail so just ignore his head when attacking while staying on the defensive and watching out for poison.

Also bring antidotes.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Brett824 posted:

When I suspect I might gently caress up trapping something I really want, I just bring as many trap kits & thunderbugs afield as I can along with my combo books. If I'm serious about trapping a creature I won't really be filling up inventory slots with random gathering anyway.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Chronojam posted:

I've been doing this for a while, since sometimes a monster will zone out the moment you set down a trap (Lagiacrus you are ever a jerk) and sometimes you want to capture all three monsters in a three-hunt. Is there a good way to get nets/webs, though? Being able to always have a Pitfall is nice, since otherwise you need perfection to capture three. Having the chance to miss once would be nice. I guess, making the other hunters bring traps, too, is an option.

The fastest way right now, comparable with how fast you can get thunderbugs, is to just duplicate nets with a friend online. I don't think Granny go-to ever carries webs or nets, dumb as that is.

5er posted:

When I suspect I might gently caress up trapping something I really want, I just bring as many trap kits & thunderbugs afield as I can along with my combo books. If I'm serious about trapping a creature I won't really be filling up inventory slots with random gathering anyway.

Making traps is a 100% chance thing, without books, so atleast you don't need to haul those things around.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

One player just not saving and instead reloading? I wish there was a way to farm "spiders" to get spiderwebs, it makes sense.

Lizard Wizard posted:

No but you see the game should accomodate my desire to trap a monster on the same screen it starts limping because

I've started waiting for monsters to leave at least one screen, but I had a Gobul decide to leave one area, go to another (set a trap here), then he decided to instead go back to the first, and shortly after he decided to truck it all the way to the sleeping chamber :argh:

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Six Of Spades posted:

Get the Wroggi armor, it gives you negate poison, which makes melee much safer.
This also helps with Rathian, Rathalos and even the Purple Ludroth, which is the last monster needed to break into High Rank.

If you still need a better weapon, do the DLC quest "Streaking with Bullfangos".
It allows you to craft a very strong fire damage lance, though you do need Rath Marrow.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Six Of Spades posted:

With the hunting horn, always focus on the Gigginoxes head. It's most vulnerable to impact damage there when not enraged, and it's also not particularly resistant to stuns so you'll be able to knock him out two or three times over the course of the fight, more if you have Felyne Slugger or Knockout King (you should always have at least one of these things if you can). When he's enraged, his head and his butt switch damage values, so start focusing more on beating on that. He's also most vulnerable to fire, so the Qurupeco or Rathian horns are good choices for him.

Since you mentioned the chainsaw longsword, he's also entirely immune to lightning damage, so if you want to switch up weapons find a fire one.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CaptainPoopsock posted:

He's pretty weak to fire so use a fire weapon if you have it. His worst attack is his bellyflop so make sure you pay attention if he stands up on his hind legs. It could be a normal bellyflop or one with poison. If he turns purple, get out of there because you cannot block poison. His bright purple eggs also give off poison when they explode so stay away from those as well. I'd say his second worst attack is where he swings his stretchy head out at you in both directions. There's not much of a tell for that one so try not to stay in range of it for too long. As you get better you can roll through this attack if you time a roll into the attack just barely before it hits (we're talking single digit frames). If he jumps up to the ceiling just keep moving. If you hold still you're going to get smashed by his bellyflop or you're going to take a poison shot to the face. Finally, when he goes into rage mode and his body turns black, your attacks will bounce off of his head but not his body or tail so just ignore his head when attacking while staying on the defensive and watching out for poison.

Also bring antidotes.

Or wear armor that negates poison (or gem for it), if you can. Seriously, not having to worry poison at all changes fighting that terrible bastard in a very good way.

e:f;b

Love seeing so many folks getting into Monster Hunter. There's hope for this franchise in the west, Capcom!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Office Thug posted:

Making traps is a 100% chance thing,

I don't think so.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Office Thug posted:

Making traps is a 100% chance thing, without books, so atleast you don't need to haul those things around.

:stare:

I am such a goddamn noob sometimes.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't think so.

:stare:

CHRIST.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
IIRC it's 90 percent chance to make a trap without books.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

fivegears4reverse posted:

IIRC it's 90 percent chance to make a trap without books.

Boy that ten percent has got to be utterly infuriating when it happens. Bad enough when I realize a monster's about dead and I haven't managed the break/cuts I wanted yet!

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

It was 90% in Tri, but I am absolutely certain it's 100% in MH3U.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's 90% in 3U. It's almost always been 90% since shock traps were introduced. If you have the Trap Master (Speed Setup) armorskill, however, then all traps have a 100% combine success rate.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I've got my hammer set assembled! Sharpness+1, Exploiter, KO, Focus. :getin:

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's 90% in 3U. It's almost always been 90% since shock traps were introduced. If you have the Trap Master (Speed Setup) armorskill, however, then all traps have a 100% combine success rate.

Ok that explains it. I've been using the Plesioth suit which has Speed Setup and my success rate was always 100%.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
Just knocked out 8 star village quests, the key quest list for 9 star is pretty big. Final stretch! I'm rocking the HR zinogre armor along with a brachy switch axe, the sharpness on that thing is crazy.

Edit: if this thread is any indication, monster hunter is starting to get popular in the states, which is quite exciting to me. Monster hunter 4 in the US would be amazing.

commander nojj fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 11, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Since we're talking traps, can anyone tell me when I'd want to use a shock trap over a pitfall trap and vice versa? The only differences I really understand are that A) shock traps lose effectiveness with successive applications; and B) shock traps work underwater.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Reginald Bathwater posted:

I still prefer my all-purpose gently caress poo poo Up set (High Grade Earplugs, Sharpness +1, Crit Eye +2 (actually +3 thanks to a lucky charm drop) to a specific hammer set. I really need to start making some mix sets though.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Since we're talking traps, can anyone tell me when I'd want to use a shock trap over a pitfall trap and vice versa? The only differences I really understand are that A) shock traps lose effectiveness with successive applications; and B) shock traps work underwater.

All traps lose effectiveness with successive applications.

As for Shock vs Pit: Pit works better on larger monsters, shocks work under water. Some mobs have specifics, such as Naracuga leaping out of pitfalls if he isn't enraged, and Zinogre will be charged up by shock traps.

For armor sets, I'm thinking Gloves off and Challenger+2 -- It'd be a pain to activate them, but damage output would be glorious.

Short lived, but glorious.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Zinogre (and many other large monsters) can also destroy shock traps with many of their attacks, specifically when they're enraged. I prefer to carry around both kinds of traps, along with materials to make more shocks (because of the higher combination rate). If a monster fucks up my shock trap, I'll have a pitfall to fall back on. If that somehow misses, I'll have more shocks to make due with. If I have the inventory space I'll carry nets just in case as well, but in later hunts that usually isn't feasible.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Chronojam posted:

One player just not saving and instead reloading? I wish there was a way to farm "spiders" to get spiderwebs, it makes sense.
There is an easy way to do this that has been fairly typical of monster hunter historically, just throw out some spider webs as "rewards" from farming. Give it a high probability on plants, but there should probably be a chance for one or two in a cycle of 10 honey/mushrooms.

Just seems like an interesting oversight that the ONE thing you can not simply buy or reproduce are spider webs. I hardly seem to get any from gathering either, because there are a few places where you can gather directly from a spider web.

Meanwhile, there is a "Honey" skill, that allows you to gather up 2 honey per shot, but who gives a gently caress, I have a farm, and the skill is loving g-rank(?). :psyduck:

Anyway, a bigger gripe of mine is that you can not craft trap tools. I am OK with only being able to bring one of each trap, and only two trap tools, but just give us some sort of obnoxious three level deep combination hierarchy that makes bringing resources for even more traps inventory prohibitive, but if worse comes to worst in a solo hunt, we're given the option of making more traps... OH, and let us detonate set traps. Nothing is worse than setting a trap the moment an injured monster lifts off in solo hunts. Even with dung, they often go anywhere but the previous zone, and may even ping pong between two completely different areas until you use all 8-10 dungbombs. At least by then the trap may have expired, but hosed if it isn't unnecessarily time consuming. Especially for something like Los, that flies around a lot anyway, often missing your traps, AND tends to fly away at the slightest bit of damage when it is ready for capture.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I don't really get the "traps are perfect the way they are because wasting ten minutes of your time or completely failing the capture mission due to time for making the mistake of not knowing exactly what a monster is going to do while weakened is justice for you being bad, baddie" argument. Hell, if you want to keep it as annoying and fairly ridiculous as possible, just make it so traps only last like one or two minutes tops. What percentage of traps do you lay down for capturing are successful after that time? It appeases the elitist Monster Hunter fans by making the game MORE punishing, since you have less of a window for using the trap, but it lets you use a new trap even sooner if needed.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
Multiplayer Streaming for a bit.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens/new

Edit: Done for the night

Vallens fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 11, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

What dictates when weapons and armor show up as an option for crafting? Like I've got every part of the Jaggi gear available except for the chest, and I just looked up the part requirements and they don't look especially crazy or anything so I don't know what's up.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I don't really get the "traps are perfect the way they are because wasting ten minutes of your time or completely failing the capture mission due to time for making the mistake of not knowing exactly what a monster is going to do while weakened is justice for you being bad, baddie" argument. Hell, if you want to keep it as annoying and fairly ridiculous as possible, just make it so traps only last like one or two minutes tops. What percentage of traps do you lay down for capturing are successful after that time? It appeases the elitist Monster Hunter fans by making the game MORE punishing, since you have less of a window for using the trap, but it lets you use a new trap even sooner if needed.

It's not 10 minutes (if you think this, you have a really weird perception of time) and if you fail a capture mission (which you know beforehand, because they're a different color icon even) when you can bring 4 potential traps I don't know how badly you're misplacing them. It's also not too hard to get a feel for when a monster is going to leave a zone. Stop trying to make games too easy by exaggerating how hard they are. People who like carefulness being rewarded aren't "elitist". If you fail a capture mission more than once because of misplacing a trap, or consistently misplace traps when attempting to capture something in a hunt mission, you need to learn what you're doing wrong and adapt.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

What the heck set are you using to get that? I spent an hour with rear end trying to come up with a way to get all those and came up with bupkis.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

tooooooo bad posted:

What dictates when weapons and armor show up as an option for crafting? Like I've got every part of the Jaggi gear available except for the chest, and I just looked up the part requirements and they don't look especially crazy or anything so I don't know what's up.

I believe the first material listed is required for a item to show for creation.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Exploiter is a really mediocre skill now. From +50% affinity to a 5% damage boost. Hooray.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, Lagisarius doesn't like it when you slam the Peco fire hammer in his face.

Start of the fight: "Holy poo poo that thing is huge! This is gonna suck!"
Five minutes into the fight: "Yeah you better run!" :black101:

Now to choose between grinding Gigginox or Rathian...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

I had this exact same setup in P3rd and it was glorious. I miss it. :(

• Locked thread