Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
So like, is it supposed to be possible to roll through attacks? I've been intuitively rolling and attacking through attacks and I want to make sure that it's even possible, or I'm just getting lucky and dodging super close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

dvorak posted:

So like, is it supposed to be possible to roll through attacks? I've been intuitively rolling and attacking through attacks and I want to make sure that it's even possible, or I'm just getting lucky and dodging super close.

Rolling gives you a couple frames of invulnerability so, yes, you can successfully roll through attacks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Brett824 posted:

It's not 10 minutes (if you think this, you have a really weird perception of time) and if you fail a capture mission (which you know beforehand, because they're a different color icon even) when you can bring 4 potential traps I don't know how badly you're misplacing them. It's also not too hard to get a feel for when a monster is going to leave a zone. Stop trying to make games too easy by exaggerating how hard they are. People who like carefulness being rewarded aren't "elitist". If you fail a capture mission more than once because of misplacing a trap, or consistently misplace traps when attempting to capture something in a hunt mission, you need to learn what you're doing wrong and adapt.

Also, if you attack lynians, they will often drop EZ Shock Traps. The Veggie Elder red old goblin can also sometimes give you them if you bother him. The real problem here is spider webs!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I don't really get the "traps are perfect the way they are because wasting ten minutes of your time or completely failing the capture mission due to time for making the mistake of not knowing exactly what a monster is going to do while weakened is justice for you being bad, baddie" argument. Hell, if you want to keep it as annoying and fairly ridiculous as possible, just make it so traps only last like one or two minutes tops. What percentage of traps do you lay down for capturing are successful after that time? It appeases the elitist Monster Hunter fans by making the game MORE punishing, since you have less of a window for using the trap, but it lets you use a new trap even sooner if needed.

Traps only lasting 1-2 minutes would actually make things EASIER when trying to trap a monster, because if you gently caress up that's way less time waiting for the trap to despawn. When you're trying to trap a monster, wait until you see it limping, or for it to go into rage mode very easily after getting out of it. If you kill the monster so fast that you don't notice either of these, then you're probably so powerful that it'll take ~5 minutes to kill it, and thus doing the quest again is a mild annoyance but not much worse. The main problem when trying to trap a monster is when you place a trap down, and then a monster leaves the area shortly after.

When you place a trap, simply wait in a spot so that the trap is between the monster and yourself - don't wait on top of the trap, cus then the monster can hit you and knock you down before getting stunned (or worse, trigger the trap and then you can't tranq it fast enough because you just got knocked down). Eventually the monster will rush at you, and then get caught. Or, the monster will fly/swim/limp away to another area, at which point you curse profusely and wait the five minutes or however long for the trap to vanish. The answer to this is pretty simple: if you think a monster is low enough to be caught, then take into consideration how long the monster has been in the area. Did it just get there? You can try trapping it fairly safely. If it's been a while, expect it to move soon, and just be patient. If a monster limps away, DON'T TRY TO TRAP IT IN THE IMMEDIATE NEXT AREA. Sure, you -could- get it into the trap, but most monsters will limp through 2-3 areas while on the way to their resting spot. Many times in these in-bewteen areas, a monster will leave very quickly, because they're desperate to get to their rest zone. Yes, even if you're actively fighting them.

Following these rules, I never use more than a single trap in 90% of my hunts where I intend to trap the monster. Yet, I ALWAYS carry trap tools and thunderbugs in the rare event a monster avoids a trap. Trap tools are cheap - you can buy thunderbugs from the old lady if you're high rank, and if not you can get the DLC 5k town points, and use all those to cultivate shittons of thunderbugs at the farm.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Killed Ceadeus over three runs. 2x deep dragon gems, 1x tail, and 1x elder dragon blood.

Not bad right?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Rolling gives you a couple frames of invulnerability so, yes, you can successfully roll through attacks.

You can even roll through roars too, although I've never been able to get the timing down. The important thing about rolls is understanding that monster attacks with a small, fast-moving hitbox are easier to roll through than big, slow-moving ones. Nargacuga is the textbook example for this. Once you get the rolling rhythm down you can solo him naked all day long.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

dvorak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63sBcfdMT8

Xenosmilus
Sep 16, 2006
So far I've been doing okay offline using mainly the hammer and longsword ( after starting off with sword and shield ) but I'm getting the impression that these two are going to be unpopular online when used by a new player, especially when they're not very subtle about it. So far I've won most of my fights by waiting for an opening then smashing the monster in the head or body as hard as I can pretty much with mostly hammer X attacks or Longsword combos. I can imagine I'm going to be having trouble not sending people flying all over the place especially after the longsword note in the OP.

Can anyone suggest a fairly newbie friendly weapon which is going to be less likely to launch other players while I learn the ropes? I've been thinking about lance / gunlance ( I should probably learn to block more anyway rather than dodging )or maybe warhorn, although the latter looks a bit smashy as well. I guess that might be less of a problem with the larger monsters.

Is it worthwhile keeping on going right to the end of offline mode first to make sure I have decent gear for multiplayer? I've just got to offline high rank, so the last thing I've beaten is pink Ludroth. I'm still using upgraded Wroggi armor from low rank for the poison resist and :clint: hat.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

CodfishCartographer posted:

Traps only lasting 1-2 minutes would actually make things EASIER when trying to trap a monster, because if you gently caress up that's way less time waiting for the trap to despawn. When you're trying to trap a monster, wait until you see it limping, or for it to go into rage mode very easily after getting out of it. If you kill the monster so fast that you don't notice either of these, then you're probably so powerful that it'll take ~5 minutes to kill it, and thus doing the quest again is a mild annoyance but not much worse. The main problem when trying to trap a monster is when you place a trap down, and then a monster leaves the area shortly after.

When you place a trap, simply wait in a spot so that the trap is between the monster and yourself - don't wait on top of the trap, cus then the monster can hit you and knock you down before getting stunned (or worse, trigger the trap and then you can't tranq it fast enough because you just got knocked down). Eventually the monster will rush at you, and then get caught. Or, the monster will fly/swim/limp away to another area, at which point you curse profusely and wait the five minutes or however long for the trap to vanish. The answer to this is pretty simple: if you think a monster is low enough to be caught, then take into consideration how long the monster has been in the area. Did it just get there? You can try trapping it fairly safely. If it's been a while, expect it to move soon, and just be patient. If a monster limps away, DON'T TRY TO TRAP IT IN THE IMMEDIATE NEXT AREA. Sure, you -could- get it into the trap, but most monsters will limp through 2-3 areas while on the way to their resting spot. Many times in these in-bewteen areas, a monster will leave very quickly, because they're desperate to get to their rest zone. Yes, even if you're actively fighting them.

Following these rules, I never use more than a single trap in 90% of my hunts where I intend to trap the monster. Yet, I ALWAYS carry trap tools and thunderbugs in the rare event a monster avoids a trap. Trap tools are cheap - you can buy thunderbugs from the old lady if you're high rank, and if not you can get the DLC 5k town points, and use all those to cultivate shittons of thunderbugs at the farm.

As you and Brett824 seem to be making a lot of assumptions about my personal skill and experience about the game, even though I never claimed to have issues with repeatedly failing missions for whatever reasons you posit, I feel I need to say that I have played every Monster Hunter game released in the US, as well as Portable 3rd. I have no real problem capturing monsters myself, but am pointing out that the various restrictions on placing traps gives unneeded difficulty to a game that is about actively fighting huge monsters. Responding with "you shouldn't have [BLANK]" is side-stepping the issue of what I consider to be a poor design decision. If you can only carry an absolute maximum of four traps, why can one only lay a single trap at a time? Which sounds like a better and less frustrating gaming experience after misplacing a trap: standing around for five minutes* waiting for a timer to place another trap (if you have one [that works on the monster and location you are aiming for]), or being able to do it immediately? Literally the only difference is the time wasted waiting for the trap to explode for seemingly no reason, since because of some sort of Hunter's Honor you can only lay down one trap at a time.

*I am terribly sorry for my grave mistake from a previous post. I haven't missed a monster with a trap since back in MHFU, so when someone either earlier in this thread or perhaps on another board said the timer was 10 minutes, I didn't think to go into my own game and sit there for ten minutes myself to check that person's veracity. I beg forgiveness. Also, even five minutes is a long time to stand around.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Xenosmilus posted:

So far I've been doing okay offline using mainly the hammer and longsword ( after starting off with sword and shield ) but I'm getting the impression that these two are going to be unpopular online when used by a new player, especially when they're not very subtle about it. So far I've won most of my fights by waiting for an opening then smashing the monster in the head or body as hard as I can pretty much with mostly hammer X attacks or Longsword combos. I can imagine I'm going to be having trouble not sending people flying all over the place especially after the longsword note in the OP.

Can anyone suggest a fairly newbie friendly weapon which is going to be less likely to launch other players while I learn the ropes? I've been thinking about lance / gunlance ( I should probably learn to block more anyway rather than dodging )or maybe warhorn, although the latter looks a bit smashy as well. I guess that might be less of a problem with the larger monsters.

Is it worthwhile keeping on going right to the end of offline mode first to make sure I have decent gear for multiplayer? I've just got to offline high rank, so the last thing I've beaten is pink Ludroth. I'm still using upgraded Wroggi armor from low rank for the poison resist and :clint: hat.

The Long Sword and Hammer aren't too bad if you don't spam the R attacks, but they're basically the only ones that are really a problem unless you deliberately try to launch people. Don't use pellet shot but that's about it. People know to give you space and either a monster is big enough or mobile enough to spread out the opportunities. If you're going online multiplayer you don't really need a new armor set, although people soloing the guild will want as good gear as they can get.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I do multiplayer to see cool monsters and watch pubbies die, it's kinda hard to find a solid group to just straight up grind for gear. So I grind for gear offline, seems to work for me. If you just go through multiplayer key-quest only rooms you'll end up at a high rank but flat out garbage gear unless you spend some time to farm.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Locke Dunnegan posted:

As you and Brett824 seem to be making a lot of assumptions about my personal skill and experience about the game, even though I never claimed to have issues with repeatedly failing missions for whatever reasons you posit, I feel I need to say that I have played every Monster Hunter game released in the US, as well as Portable 3rd. I have no real problem capturing monsters myself, but am pointing out that the various restrictions on placing traps gives unneeded difficulty to a game that is about actively fighting huge monsters. Responding with "you shouldn't have [BLANK]" is side-stepping the issue of what I consider to be a poor design decision. If you can only carry an absolute maximum of four traps, why can one only lay a single trap at a time? Which sounds like a better and less frustrating gaming experience after misplacing a trap: standing around for five minutes* waiting for a timer to place another trap (if you have one [that works on the monster and location you are aiming for]), or being able to do it immediately? Literally the only difference is the time wasted waiting for the trap to explode for seemingly no reason, since because of some sort of Hunter's Honor you can only lay down one trap at a time.

*I am terribly sorry for my grave mistake from a previous post. I haven't missed a monster with a trap since back in MHFU, so when someone either earlier in this thread or perhaps on another board said the timer was 10 minutes, I didn't think to go into my own game and sit there for ten minutes myself to check that person's veracity. I beg forgiveness. Also, even five minutes is a long time to stand around.

Traps are very powerful tools. They're a lot of time worth of free damage, often lead to easily broken parts, and usually lead to a chain of stuns and staggers after their duration ends. They also are pretty cheap to make material wise. It's not "unneeded difficulty" to make placing those a more strategic decision. By making there a cost and a risk associated with poorly planning out a trap, it's not "unneeded difficulty", it's actually making the game interesting. The risk of the monster leaving the zone is what makes placing a trap something with actual weight, instead of being a (very powerful) mindless tool. It's not like there's (significant, at least) RNG in effect -- if you placed a trap that was a waste, you made a poor strategic decision and are punished for it. If you call that "frustrating", then the person is frustrated at their own mistake and that frustration is part of learning to be better at the game. I don't understand why this would be anywhere on anyone's list of things that need to be changed about the series, especially since there are a ton of way more annoying outdated legacy mechanics that probably should be addressed.

e: To be clear, I'm using "You" to refer to a more general "Player". I'm not attempting to say anything about your skill level or experience with the game.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 11, 2013

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Once you get G-rank; there's an advanced mission where you hunt 3 Barioth's in a row. You can easily farm Barioth parts there, and get a good chunk of money in the proccess. Barioth gives Eva+2/Stamina usage down. It's a pretty easy set to make as well, so if you could snag a friend and get him to hunt Barioth's, you could easily get a good G+rank set together.

As for previous armors, I used the store-bought Yukumo series the entire time. Stylish.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
But... but you still waste the trap even if you could place another one somewhere else immediately, meaning your limited amount of traps is used at the same rate either way. And the benefits of free damage and easy breaks is the same for both of our arguments, so that doesn't really change anything. I think we are arguing about different things somehow, since irrelevant details keep being brought up. Standing around for five minutes to use a trap you currently have is pointless, boring, and frustrating. It doesn't happen often, but I am a fan of quality-of-experience improvements regardless of scope. I didn't realize that we were allowed to talk about some dumb legacy mechanics but not others.

How do you feel about decoration changes not costing money anymore?

EDIT: I meant to quote Brett. Phone issues.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 11, 2013

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I've never played a Monster Hunter game BUT I did just buy a 3DS. How is that version for a complete newbie?
For some reason, I've gotten it in my head that the game plays like a mix of Dark Souls, Shadow of The Colossus and Phantasy Start Online but I've never seen the game in action.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

So I've never played a Monster Hunter game BUT I did just buy a 3DS. How is that version for a complete newbie?
For some reason, I've gotten it in my head that the game plays like a mix of Dark Souls, Shadow of The Colossus and Phantasy Start Online but I've never seen the game in action.

No, thats about right, minus Shadow of the Colossus. That's coming in the next game.

Man I hope I get to climb on the obligatory huge rear end elder dragon.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

For armor sets, I'm thinking Gloves off and Challenger+2 -- It'd be a pain to activate them, but damage output would be glorious.

Short lived, but glorious.

Keep Challenger, drop Gloves Off. You're better off throwing on something that doesn't require heavy damage to activate like Crit Eye 3 or Attack Up L.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

3U is probably the best option for a complete newbie right now. It's got the newest mechanics in the series, and ditched a lot of the jank that was in Freedom Unite regarding hitboxes and excessive monster damage. It also does a pretty good job of easing you into the more difficult monsters with the quest progression. 3DS loses the online functionality, but you'll still get a lot of hours with just soloing things.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I needed a brachydios gem for my bow. 30+ runs later, nothing.
I put the food buff "ultra lucky cat" on and next run I got 2 gems.
I got the same buff and did a LR rathalos, 1 plate.

I know thats not how the buff works, but ill take it

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Fauxtool posted:

I needed a brachydios gem for my bow. 30+ runs later, nothing.
I put the food buff "ultra lucky cat" on and next run I got 2 gems.
I got the same buff and did a LR rathalos, 1 plate.

I know thats not how the buff works, but ill take it

What food gives lucky? I've never come across it, but I tend to ignore skills and go straight for meat/fish

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

gwrtheyrn posted:

What food gives lucky? I've never come across it, but I tend to ignore skills and go straight for meat/fish

Various combinations of drinks, especially drinks+dairy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

gwrtheyrn posted:

Drink/Drink, Drink/Dairy, and Drink/Meat can have it. You need to be in high rank to have access to drinks, though.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

No, thats about right, minus Shadow of the Colossus. That's coming in the next game.

Man I hope I get to climb on the obligatory huge rear end elder dragon.
There's arguably a bit of SotC in things like Lao and Jhen~
But, yeah, for the most part, it isn't.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Locke Dunnegan posted:

But... but you still waste the trap even if you could place another one somewhere else immediately, meaning your limited amount of traps is used at the same rate either way. And the benefits of free damage and easy breaks is the same for both of our arguments, so that doesn't really change anything. I think we are arguing about different things somehow, since irrelevant details keep being brought up. Standing around for five minutes to use a trap you currently have is pointless, boring, and frustrating. It doesn't happen often, but I am a fan of quality-of-experience improvements regardless of scope. I didn't realize that we were allowed to talk about some dumb legacy mechanics but not others.

How do you feel about decoration changes not costing money anymore?

EDIT: I meant to quote Brett. Phone issues.

In all honesty, I do agree with many of the points you're bringing up. The punishment for having a monster leave after you've placed a trap is pretty high - I personally think things would work okay if the system was changed so that the timers are still the same on trap life, but you can place traps in multiple areas at once. Wasting a trap sucks, because usually the materials (other than trap tools) aren't easy or cheap to obtain. Wasting a trap should have the punishment of using a trap with no benefit, and doesn't need the additional punishment of having to wait around for five minutes before you can place another. It would still keep people from throwing traps around willy-nilly because of how strong they are, but would fix this major annoyance.

Really, having capture quests is just a really poor design choice in general, but at least they aren't key quests like in the old days. I like having capturing as an option to get more rare loot and shorter hunts, but I don't really think it should be something forced. Capturing isn't easy for newer players, and forcing them to do it is pretty lovely.

Also I didn't mean to imply you were a poor player in my previous post, I apologize if it came across that way.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!

Fungah! posted:

What the heck set are you using to get that? I spent an hour with rear end trying to come up with a way to get all those and came up with bupkis.

The set uses a 2 slot weapon and a +6 KO charm
code:
Weapon          - KO OO
Helios Helm Z   - Focus OOO
Lagia X Chest   - Exploiter O
Lagia X Arms    - Exploiter O
Vangis Coil
Vangis X Legs   - KO O Focus O
The Duramboros is probably the best raw hammer overall, not too hard to make unless Flutterflies hate you.
I love building Frankenarmour sets, its a shame about exploiter though.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Here is a handy general damage chart:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66788

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

There's a lot of MH fans that howl "purity of the game!" and want to keep things as unintuitive and annoying as possible, because anything else would just be carebear mode.

It's some kind of nerd circle jerk thing. It doesn't follow logic, spelling out a few more things to players would go a long way to attracting new players and maybe we'll get more US releases.

Nope! Keep it confusing and frustrating as hell! I love it when I just totally wasted 20 minutes of my life trying to cap a Rath and he decided to zone three times in the span of a minute, making both my traps useless!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Key village quests to unlock the urgent rank up quests.

quote:

1*
Harvest Shroom
Farm Aid
Guts: It's what's for dinner

2*
Bear Trap

3*
Playing with Fire
Leading the Charge
Save our Boat

4*
Dragon Lady

5*
The Wrath of Rathalos
A Bard's Tale
The Volcano's Fury

6*
Pink Queen of the Peaks
Bye-Bye, Bloom
Farm Aid

7*
Snowball Fight
Shocking Development
Rockslide

8*
The Fisherman's Fiend
Denizen of the Molten Deep
The Moving Mountain
"Brachydios" means Trouble

9*
Jumping at Shadows
Desert Storm
Heaven and Earth
Midnight Madness
Ace in the Hole
Echo Location

quote:

1*
Playing with Fire
Leading the Charge
The Merchant's Mission

2*
The Horned Wyvern
The Desert Gourmand
The Creeping Venom

3*
Splash Damage
Mud Brothers
Bye-bye, Bloom
Supply Constraints

4*
Unwanted Visitor
Tumble on the Tundra
The Volcano's Fury

5*
Desert Desertion
Echo Location
Bedevil a Deviljho
Azure Attack

6*
The Cherry Blossom Queen
The Green Flash
Playing with Fire
Sweltering Showdown
The Desert Gourmand
Axe to Grind
Snowball Fight
Thunder on the Tundra

7*
The Horned Wyvern
Desert Storm
Night Stalker
Volcanic Activity
Deep-Six a Deviljho
A Sea of Wyverns
Infernal Overlord

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
A_Cup_Of_Ramen, Mailer, sorry I disappeared, my net is out (hell my parents landline is out) and I don't know how long it'll be until it's back on.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The devs had no idea how to make fights interesting or difficult on HR or above, did they? The solution to "How do we make this fight harder" was answered with two things.

1) Make the monsters move faster.
2) Add Deviljho to every single loving quest.

Crimson Qurupeco? Deviljho. Azure Rathalos? Deviljho. Duramboros? Deviljho. Glacial Agnaktor? Deviljho.

That last one is particularly horrible because of the speed he tunnels/jumps at you. It's really, really easy to be chain-hit as you're standing, knocked into stun, and hit even more. And that's just with Glacnaktor on you. If Deviljho's in the room too, you can go from full health to dead and there's not a god drat thing you can do about it.

loving irritating is what it is. They couldn't think of any other monster? Why is it Deviljho 100% of the time? There are other monsters in the game! Quite a few of them, in fact! Have something else show up once in awhile. Give me some variety to my annoyances. poo poo.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

ChibiSoma posted:

The devs had no idea how to make fights interesting or difficult on HR or above, did they? The solution to "How do we make this fight harder" was answered with two things.

1) Make the monsters move faster.
2) Add Deviljho to every single loving quest.

Crimson Qurupeco? Deviljho. Azure Rathalos? Deviljho. Duramboros? Deviljho. Glacial Agnaktor? Deviljho.

That last one is particularly horrible because of the speed he tunnels/jumps at you. It's really, really easy to be chain-hit as you're standing, knocked into stun, and hit even more. And that's just with Glacnaktor on you. If Deviljho's in the room too, you can go from full health to dead and there's not a god drat thing you can do about it.

loving irritating is what it is. They couldn't think of any other monster? Why is it Deviljho 100% of the time? There are other monsters in the game! Quite a few of them, in fact! Have something else show up once in awhile. Give me some variety to my annoyances. poo poo.

It actually adds a terrifying element to high rank and it makes the showdown with jho all the more satisfying. But if you're really that upset about his presence just carry a full stack of dung bombs and throw them at jho when he saunters in, he will leave the area and let you continue fighting.

I haven't found a need to do this as he's only really shown up to harass me a handful of times and I usually just stick to beating up my target while he does his little Texas two step on cha cha and kayamba

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

When Jho invades, beat him down, chase him to another zone, kill him, carve him, and go back to your original mission. Eventually he'll invade, see you're there, and be like "Nope, gently caress that hunter" and leave on his own accord.

In seriousness though, dungbombs will be your friend.

On Gloves off chat; I know it's like 180 damage over 5 minutes (Which isn't that hard), but isn't it something crazy like 40% affinity and a damage boost? That's a serious chunk for the investment of a couple of mega potions.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

TalonDemonKing posted:

On Gloves off chat; I know it's like 180 damage over 5 minutes (Which isn't that hard), but isn't it something crazy like 40% affinity and a damage boost? That's a serious chunk for the investment of a couple of mega potions.

The issue is the duration is almost negligible. 2-3 minutes, as opposed to other skills which are permanent or just last longer in general.

RE: Traps, everybody complaining about them needs to keep in mind that you can easily do 25% or more of a monster's life with a single well-placed trap. There is a reason things like traps become less than half as effective upon re-deployment, and why effects like Paralysis and Sleep require twice as many applications or more to proc multiple times.
Having more than slight difficulty trapping monsters means you are not properly acquainted with a/the monster's behavior yet, or you are not effectively corralling your Shakas in single player. If you're having problems online, bring a Field Horn. This will act as a taunt to the monster and also as a signal to pubbies.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 11, 2013

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Does poison help with breaking parts?
I decided to switch to the Shadow Javelin+ lance since the infamous Deviljho is weak to poison but I don't know exactly how poison damage works.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
Your weapon applies the poison when the little purple puffs come out. After enough poisoning the monster will get the poisoned status and it will take a set amount of damage from that, depending on how weak it is to poison. You won't break any parts with the poison itself, in fact poisoning probably makes it harder to get those breaks because it decreases the number of hits you need to land on the monster.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I just noticed the shakalaka's lines change depending on their mask. Melynx Kayamba is complaining about being too curious when getting KO'd :3:

He's also chucking giant loving barrel bombs at my head half the time :argh:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 11, 2013

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice

Vallens posted:

Multiplayer Streaming for a bit.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens/new

Edit: Done for the night

I was on the internet, hunting horribly...

Would do again. It was fun.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Do monsters in online quests have more health? I just solo'd the Peco quest and it felt like it took a lot longer than normal.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do monsters in online quests have more health? I just solo'd the Peco quest and it felt like it took a lot longer than normal.

Yes, usually between 3-4 times as much.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

If you could just reclaim a set trap, I don't see that making the game all that much easier, and I think it'd settle a lot of aggrivation for some folks. To me that'd be right on par with allowing decorations to get changed without a fee.

Further, I also observed that if you save an outfit scheme with certain decorations in place, you can change the decorations and save that as a separate outfit. That's pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Bussamove posted:

3DS loses the online functionality, but you'll still get a lot of hours with just soloing things.

110 hours and counting, baby :getin:

Also Hatsune Miku will be in Frontier G. Or rather, a costume resembling Miku. Good news for anyone in Japan who wants to get their Domino's Pizza on while beating up monsters.

• Locked thread