Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Bash Ironfist posted:

So those naked rats- is there a specific name for them? Watching an old episode of bones about a dead competitive eater, and they had some naked rats eating his corpse. Of course the first thing I think is 'ooh rats!' with the next being 'hey, rat balls!'

This thread has taught me how to recognize balls on rats. :catstare:

You had to be taught?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Bash Ironfist posted:

So those naked rats- is there a specific name for them?

They're just domestic rats with a hairless gene. There are a few genes that cause "true" hairlessness, and generally they are linked to lactation issues in females and weakened immune system, so the majority of "hairless" rats you see in the pet trade are actually extreme double rexes- rats with two copies of the rex gene, which results in offspring that range from rexes with sort-of thin hair, to almost completely hairless.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
My last group of boys were all double rexes from the same litter. Only one was somewhat hairless (very patchy, light curly fur), two others had the typical rex coat, and the third had a Velveteen (more plush and downy than the rex coat) coat. The somewhat-hairless one would be less patchy in winter/cold seasons and more hairless in the summer/warm seasons. The females in the same litter were either Velveteen or patchy hairless.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Greyish Orange posted:

Uh oh, one of our girls has a marble sized lump next to her throat. It doesn't seem to be hurting her or affecting her in any way. We're going to wait a week and see if there are any changes before we decide what to do. Is it likely to be a tumour? :ohdear:

Luckily it ended up just being an absess, which still looked very nasty and open but has healed up really well pretty much on its own. We blame the baby rat who has been playing rough, and probably scratched her. Crisis averted!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

^^^ Really glad to hear that!

:byodame: Rat picture time :byodame:

Pandora is so faded now. Roans are cool.

My rats are so big now. :qq: I regularly have to remind myself that baby rats are evil pooping machines to stop myself from getting more.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I bought my little dudes the biggest Wodent wheel and all they do with it is constantly gather a bunch of bedding and fill it up

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Finished up with introductions today. Had Folly, Oswald, and Moomin in the bathtub (because Gypsy is a non-issue) and they were doing alright. Folly kept jumping out (and being pushed back in), but when she stood there, looked me in the eye, and squeaked plaintively we moved them out. I think the fighting's over, but they're not really relaxed yet. Definitely the worst intro I've had to do yet.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I feel incredibly awesome and victorious because I've been able to pick up and move or hold Trixie in the last week without her squirming or freaking out. She's also more curious and sniffs or climbs over me sometimes when I have her out. It's an amazing difference from Trixie being terrified and hiding constantly.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

SlipkPIe posted:

I bought my little dudes the biggest Wodent wheel and all they do with it is constantly gather a bunch of bedding and fill it up

"You got us a thing with holes in it. We fixed it!"

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

SlipkPIe posted:

Probably because the Wodent Wheels are enclosed. Most of my rats have loved stuffing anything with small openings like that.

I have two 12" Silent Spinners that I move around between cages, and have not had that problem with them.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I believe Mordin uses the Wodent Wheel for all his pooping. :gonk:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

My rat doesn't use his wheel for anything. He is so disgusted by the thought of exercise that he won't even use it for sleeping in.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Apparently it's international rat day according to a rat group I follow on Facebook. All my rats are getting extra cuddles and yogurt. :3:

Also Donut was in surgery for tumors and made it through okay. Vanguard and Donut are starting to get pissed off with Cubone even visiting them, though. I am really considering another rat so Cubone won't be by herself since the other two girls are very upset at her, I guess because they're getting older.
Biscuit is still doing okay despite hating other rats.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

New Rat! Semi hairless something something.

She is about 5/6 weeks old, keeping her separate from our other girls for now.

So cute and loves exploring already, you can really tell the difference between crazy rat lady rats, and ones bought from the big pet shops.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^^^ Semi hairless? Do you mean double rex? :psyduck:

Invalid Octopus posted:

Finished up with introductions today. Had Folly, Oswald, and Moomin in the bathtub (because Gypsy is a non-issue) and they were doing alright. Folly kept jumping out (and being pushed back in), but when she stood there, looked me in the eye, and squeaked plaintively we moved them out. I think the fighting's over, but they're not really relaxed yet. Definitely the worst intro I've had to do yet.

How's it all going with the mixed group now? pics pics pics

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Fraction posted:

I guess that's why she is called Rex :aaa: (I forgot what she was when I posted the picture!)

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fraction posted:

How's it all going with the mixed group now? pics pics pics

Why won't my rats be friends :qq: :qq: :qq:
Theyve generally all cooled down but they aren't buddies yet. I'll post some pics tonight :3:. I've been bugging my breeder -- she has a couple dumbos ready to pop and I have first pick. So I'll be getting some girls in a month and change!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I hear you guys like rat pictures :3:. I think things have turned a corner! Moomin was powergrooming Folly and she was being pretty chill about it. She's been hanging out near the boys lately but they hadn't warmed up to her yet, I think they're all mostly alright now.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience moving with rats?

I'm moving from Montana to Nevada in a month and hoping to do it all in one trip with the rats in my car. I decided to keep them because two of them are close to two years old, and the younger one is missing part of his tail so I'm not sure who else would want old or mangled rats. Plus, I'm not sure how I'd smuggle them into a hotel.

Reactions, thoughts, ideas, tips, things to avoid?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

dustbin posted:

I'm moving from Montana to Nevada in a month and hoping to do it all in one trip with the rats in my car. I decided to keep them because two of them are close to two years old, and the younger one is missing part of his tail so I'm not sure who else would want old or mangled rats. Plus, I'm not sure how I'd smuggle them into a hotel.

Bring them in the car, they'll spend most of the time sleeping. Make sure they have food and water at regular intervals. You could smuggle them into a less-observed motel pretty easily, just make sure you don't leave them there alone when housekeeping could find them.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

dustbin posted:

All my rats have traveled with me on buses, trains and in cars. They give zero fucks. If you have a small travel cage they're used to that would be cozy and they'll sleep the entire time. If you have to use their regular cage just give them blankets to bury themselves in and they'll sleep the entire time :) Stop to talk to them and give treats once or twice if you like - usually when I open up their carrier they just look at me and wonder why I interrupted their naps.

For smuggling - travel carrier(s). I take my boys in carriers the size of picnic baskets, and when I take them on public transport I put the carriers inside supermarket cloth bags so people don't see them and freak out, or crowd around wanting to hold them (you never know which will happen). I bet you could easily get them into a motel. They don't mind staying in the carrier for a night.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 8, 2013

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

daggerdragon posted:

Bring them in the car, they'll spend most of the time sleeping. Make sure they have food and water at regular intervals. You could smuggle them into a less-observed motel pretty easily, just make sure you don't leave them there alone when housekeeping could find them.

I have a Martins Cage that's kind of bulky. Would you recommend trying to get that in there, or to use a smaller cage for the hotel stay?

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Careful with plastic carriers. I once had a rat chew her way out in a single night.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Not The Platypus posted:

Careful with plastic carriers. I once had a rat chew her way out in a single night.

Oh yeah good point. My rats are lazy. They wouldn't chew their way out of a paper bag. Results may vary!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Always wanted a couple of rats for pets, but it always seems the world is against it. Here in Korea there are no breeders and my landlord would probably freak. Before that my dog's prey drive was too strong. Before that I was a punk kid living with a "Rat? Hell no." Mom.

When I worked at a pet store when parents were looking for a pet for their kids I always steered them towards rats. Alas for me it's not meant to be.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Not The Platypus posted:

Could be worse. Mine chewed out of one of those soft fabric w/plastic mesh ones in a matter of seconds. I immediately took it back to Petsmart and got a refund. I can't believe they market the soft ones for small animals.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
My breeder expected to have babies by Friday and still none! I get first pick (after her) so I am excited to see :3:. Momma rat must be huge by now.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

IO, please stop getting more rats. You're making me jealoussss :saddowns:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Hey ratgoons! I need some help!

My girlfriend has two pet rats and a kitten, she also has been having a rough time lately, a ton of stresses and some depression. Suffice it that the kitten recieves more play-time and attention of late because he has the freedom to pester her. She's been a little neglectful of her rats this year, because of the above, she feeds them an amazing diet, checks in on their health, provides them with toys, etc. But she has been a little lax in cleaning the cage, and very lax in socialization, occassionally putting her hand in to pet them or passing treats through the bar.****

Now we live together, and I want to help her, I know she loves the rats and doesn't want to give them to another home, I know she can bring herself to offer them attention. She just needs help, and I want to help her. So thats why I'm asking you guys, I have to be there for the rats for a little!

One of the rats is bigger than the other! is this an issue? a sign of one taking the food from the other? It used to be the smaller rat would constantly steal food from the one that's now bigger.

The smaller rat is a little more friendly with contact, I'm not surprised, she's been my girlfriend's favourite to take out because when we first got her, she was a scared and terrified baby who would cling to my girlfriend for protection. The other one is more independent, less afraid, but also tends to be more scared of being touched! She can be a little bite-y, though she's apologetic, I think. On the occassions she has bit me as I reach into her py fiersonal space, she either stops immediately after contact, or if she breaks the skin licks my fingers. The smaller one just comes up to lick, and can be taken out easier. The big one runs away and if you take her out, she'll cling to the cage a lot. She seems scared to be taken out. Once out, she's very exploratory and will climb all over you and check everything out. Making it awful to type this because I have her out and she is trying to see what my fingers are doing. Still, if I try to pick her up she freaks out, but no problem climbing over me. Is there a way I can help socialize her to be handled easier and less bitey?

What are some ways I can actually play with the rats when they are out? or show them my good intentions? Petting softly, gentle scratching, what else? Is there a way to engage in play? I know they love rolling around this wooden cylinder cage thing with a bell in it, in their cage. and they have brightly colored wooden chew toys they keep hiding.

Cleanliness! There's a disgusting yellow oily gunk on some parts of their cage they frequent. What is it, how do I clean it. Should we litter train them? when they are out they will poop anywhere, is this a bad sign? or just them being rats?

Oh god the small one bleeds out of her face! She seems stressed a lot :( and more often than seems healthy has a red discharge around her eyes and nose. It's probably porphyrin, but why is she so stressed? Dirty cage? Presence of the kitten? Being cooped up? She's pretty healthy otherwise, but had some health issues when she was younger.

Speaking of health issues, I'm worried we may have traumatized the big one, when she was younger, she had a bad abcess and some diarreah, we had to pick her up and prod her a ton, to deal with cleaning that. She hated it so much, and I'm worried that she is still pretty scared, even though she's so exploratory

The kitten! The small rat absolutely freezes up anywhere the kitten is near, She's freaking out right? What's a good way to handle that? THe kitten likes to watch them, seems curious, but doesn't seem that predatory. The big one, she gives no fucks. As I type this, the kitten keeps coming over and jumping up on the chair to check the rat out, just fascinated, but not wiggling his butt to pounce or showing any of the body language of pouncing on his toys. The big one just went over to explore him, sniffing his face and his paws (he pulled his paws away when the rat got close!) She tried to groom him and the cat freaked the gently caress out. Is this good progress for socializing the cat witht he big one? How should I socialize the small one and the cat? For note, I'm pretty sure the rat was grooming the cat, not attacking. It was a very gentle and soft biting and raing of fur, like they do with each other, not really snapping to draw blood. Still, the cat keeps returning to stare at them. As long as he's not being predatory, is that bad? The kitten's only six months and is a rambunctious little gently caress.

Help me be a good boon for the rats and socialize them! I'm sorry for my ignorance and idiocacy!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fraction posted:

IO, please stop getting more rats. You're making me jealoussss :saddowns:

You have more rats than me! I am just making things even. Except I'll have more cute baby rats :3:

Quantumfate posted:

1. One of the rats is bigger than the other! is this an issue? a sign of one taking the food from the other?

2. Is there a way I can help socialize her to be handled easier and less bitey?

3. What are some ways I can actually play with the rats when they are out? or show them my good intentions? Petting softly, gentle scratching, what else? Is there a way to engage in play?

4. What is it, how do I clean it. Should we litter train them? when they are out they will poop anywhere, is this a bad sign? or just them being rats?

5. It's probably porphyrin, but why is she so stressed? Dirty cage? Presence of the kitten? Being cooped up? She's pretty healthy otherwise, but had some health issues when she was younger.

6. The small rat absolutely freezes up anywhere the kitten is near, She's freaking out right? What's a good way to handle that? As long as he's not being predatory, is that bad?

Okay, I think I trimmed all the questions out of that :)
1. Not necessarily! If they both seem otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. Some rats are just bigger than others.
2. Take her out! Hold her! Put on a sweatshirt, put her in the pocket, and just hang out for a while. More handling = more comfortable. Also, your girlfriend probably shouldn't be passing food through the bars, that can encourage nipping first and asking questions later.
3. Some rats like to play with hands or whatever. I generally just take mine out on the couch and they run around on it/me.
4. Sounds like pee residue. I clean up with Nature's Miracle, you can get it at pet stores. I really like having my rats litter trained, but it's personal preference. Pooping outside of the cage as adults is uncommon – it might be because they aren't litter trained (someone else who doesn't have litter trained rats can weigh in on this), or because they're not handled much, or just because they've been out for a long time! If they're pooping in the first 15 minutes of being out, though, I'd expect it's because they're nervous.
5. It's porphyrin. I don't know how dirty your cage is, but that might be a factor. The kitten being around is probably a major cause. It's just generally a sign of stress/sickness, but not a sickness in and of itself.
6. Yes, she's freaking out. No, the cat "not being predatory" isn't good enough – he still smells like a predator. Someone more experienced than me will have to give you advice here, though.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
The out of cage pooping is probably from fear. If you let them out often they'll probably get over that. Litter training is great and will help keep the cage clean. They'll still pee everywhere because rats like their own pee. But it might help them not poop outside the cage too.

If they're scared of the cat, I would put the cat in another room during rat play time. Now, while you're trying to socialize them and they're still scared, isn't the time to introduce them to the cat. For what its worth though, the toe nipping is what my rats do to my cat, they take great joy in making the cat run away. They also groom his face and ears until he freaks out and runs off :D Rats and cats can get along (SUPERVISED) but as I said, if they're frightened of the kitten don't put them together.

Its nice that you're helping the little guys :) if you interact with them more they will warm up to you. The best way I've found for new/shy rats is to put them in your shirt/hoodie and let them run around on you. Or sit on the sofa under a blanket and let them play in there. They feel safe and get to know you as a safe place. Give 'em lots of treats. When they come to your hands you can scratch them or tickle, the best place is the back of the neck. They associate it with friendly grooming :) you'll get to know what they like individually.

Saberjackal
Oct 21, 2008

Going around, and around, and around...
I have a minor problem, one of our rats escaped and is now somewhere in the kitchen, or the living room. We've tried to catch her, but so far she's eluded us and we've lost her completely. I am sure I am not the first to have a rat get free and run wild, is there a particular method to use to coax her back out or to catch her?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
You can try to use treats. Generally they'll come back to the cage once they get hungry. It's only a significant problem if you have cats or dogs in the house that might go after the rat if you're not there. If that is the case, you could consider getting one of the humane rat traps from the store to catch him.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

If she's not too timid, sometimes crinkling a treat bag will draw them out. Be very wary of the laundry room (if applicable), because dryer tubes are a direct line to freedom/death.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
If its convenient you could try leaving the cage on the floor with the door open and hope she comes back to eat/sleep.

Saberjackal
Oct 21, 2008

Going around, and around, and around...
Tried using treats first, sadly that did not work she'd take them and then run off. I'd already left for work before we knew she got out, my wife was late trying to catch her. I came back in around 2:20 this afternoon and tried to coax her out with food, and failed. We were able to corner her behind a couch but she slipped away into the kitchen. There's an old vent line that leads nowhere that she may have gotten into but I doubt it, we simply cannot find her now and have no idea where she is. The cage was left open while we were both out for the day, but now the second rat is home again and we cannot leave the cage open now.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Get a trap, set a trap, hope for the best.

It was irritating enough trying to catch one of my rats when she decided to hide behind the sofa. I had to get my dog to help me.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Also, if you have another cage to put any other rats you have into, put her open cage near wherever she spends most of her time hiding. Worked for me when I had a rat that refused to come back to me after playtime. She smelled her litter and went "home" Good luck!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:psyduck:

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Now that Clare's learned she can climb out of the cage when I have the door or top open, I'm more worried about her escaping and flat-ratting herself somewhere that's hard to get, like the closet in the room the cage is in. She's also associated me with outside time, and will run around the cage and chew on the bars when she hears my voice sometimes. I need to build a rat play area and clean up some room so they can run around without fear of them escaping.