Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

einTier posted:

Well, none are EOL yet. All those are "only" $1400 new in the box from LEGO.com. It also doesn't say if these included the box and the instructions. Not a bad deal, but not screaming either.

All boxes, all instructions, complete, adult owned. Death Star is NISB, SSD is opened but otherwise untouched. I am happy about it and hope to eventually sell them to well to do nerds of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Chenghiz posted:

Saw this on the lego twitter today, the winning Lego Technic Challenge entry:

loving awesome build, anyone know if they offer these as a kit eventually? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Every month or so I peek in this thread hoping to see stuff like this. I used to be way into technic stuff up until ~2001 when it seemed like things were trending towards hyperspecialized pieces which took the fun out of it. It's been a while since I saw something like this that actually tempted me to spend some money.

I still wish they would try to be more creative than "A BIG TRUCK WITH A BUNCH OF WHEELS AND A HUGE THING ATTACHED" though. A full suspension system is pretty cool, but I'm pretty sure they did that way back with silver champion.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
They've been doing a lot of modernizing and upgrading old models, but it's still pretty much just the usual themes.

The late 90s and early 2000s were not a particularly good time for lego, especially technic, with the whole bionicles, slizer, and those competition sets, but these days they're doing a lot of better things. They've introduced powerfunction and done amazing things with it in sets like the 8275 motorized bulldozer, done remote control with the 8043 motorized excavator, and revamped pneumatics in a huge way with the 8110 unimog.

They've generally been pretty good about not introducing a ton of new hyperspecialized parts. A lot of new sets do come with new parts, but they're parts that can be used in a ton of applications. For example,

Did not exist until 2008

and

Did not exist until 2009.

Not saying they haven't made ultra specialized parts that you only find in a small handful of sets (ahem 8292 quad bike) but it's not as bad as it used to be.

They're also coming out with

Later this year, a remake of one of the best sets of all time, 8053 mobile crane

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 8, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Your standard Captain Invictus post to remind you that Bionicle was wildly successful at least early on and helped support Lego during their darker times(while Throwbots and Slizers comparatively were not very popular) and though older fans might not have been into it, it would constantly be sold out all over the place. Especially the Kanohi Mask Packs.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Your standard Captain Invictus post to remind you that Bionicle was wildly successful at least early on and helped support Lego during their darker times(while Throwbots and Slizers comparatively were not very popular) and though older fans might not have been into it, it would constantly be sold out all over the place. Especially the Kanohi Mask Packs.

Yes, this is how we know that Those drat Kids do not belong on or, indeed, anywhere near Our Lawns.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I can't be the only person who never made the leap to Technic, can I? I hit the age point for it right as Bionicle started and never really made the leap, despite getting the decently cool Mindstorms R2-D2 (put it together, played with it for a few hours, then never really touched it again).

I did have the granite Throwbot, though. It was kind of cool, but none of its parts really integrated with my other Lego. Plus that's when I hit my "build giant structures and huge armies" phase, so a giant R2-D2 and a Throwbot didn't really fit in.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Captain Invictus posted:

Throwbots?

Slizers?

Psh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Roboriders. The worst. Not even worthy of being mentioned.

So many pieces that don't "fit" with Legos. So many pieces that otherwise might be useful(that grey part holding the disc-launching tray part? awesome piece, ALMOST perfect) but have stuff like the tray-holding lip that make it difficult to use in a lot of MOCs(and as far as I know is useless for anything but holding that tray), the tray itself which I don't have more than a handful surviving parts of because they would simply disintegrate over time, the wheels that might be useful parts if they didn't have goofy-rear end faces on every single one of them(the Heads as well), and to a lesser extent those gear bits that you can see in the back of that picture, those had decent potential but ultimately became nearly impossible to incorporate into a lot of non-instruction builds. Roboriders was SO BAD.

Though if they initiated the "Droid Foot/Roborider Head" part, then that redeems the entire line for me I suppose. Love that part.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Mindstorms appeared in 1998, so I can't quite agree with this "all is woe" sentiment for late '90s Technic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lego definitely has been making many more specialized parts lately, especially on the minifig level. I remember back when all the star wars characters used to run around with megaphones with orange dots on them.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lego definitely has been making many more specialized parts lately, especially on the minifig level. I remember back when all the star wars characters used to run around with megaphones with orange dots on them.

But this is a good thing though, I hated those megaphone guns as a kid.
New elements are great, especially when they do away with the need for big pre-molded bits (minifigs/animals don't count).

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I miss old lego Star Wars. It lent itself to the power of imagination then and everyone was yellow so you can integrate them with the other lego populace more importantly R2 fit into the x-wing front facing as opposed to the latest x-wing where he goes in by his side and you have to move his head to make it look like its movie accurate. Why is that? Huh? Why lego?? You cold do it over 10 years ago but not now??

Sign.

Anyways original Luke, Obi-Wan, R2 and Threepio in the latest landspeeder look so much better to me.

Look how happy they are to be yellow!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
This guy has made a lot of progress:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodoumoko/8628712124/

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

There is a god, and it's this guy...

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Ika posted:

amazon.fr has boxes of series 10 listed as in stock and shipping today, for 118 euros. According to the eurobricks review they contain 2 full sets and various spares. (link)

I've been buying a box of each series, but I think that stops with this one. It's back to only 2 full sets per box of 60, and the distribution is awful. Do I really need 6 skydivers?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

PeePot posted:

I've been buying a box of each series, but I think that stops with this one. It's back to only 2 full sets per box of 60, and the distribution is awful. Do I really need 6 skydivers?

How else can you make Lego skydiving formations!?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Colonial Air Force posted:

How else can you make Lego skydiving formations!?

Never thought of that! Dangle them from the ceiling with Shelob. Aside from 6 skydivers it has 6 baseball players, and 6 Roman Commanders, so some people will be happy, and 6 bikers if you want to start a gang.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Guess what just opened

http://california.legoland.com/legoland-hotel/

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Oh my god Lego scavenger hunt in the room and free bricks to play with during your stay?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So I bought some stuff, trying to figure out what I like the best.

I think I started with the Technic Unimog, thinking I would do some real construction. (After seeing the great ball contraption.) But I didn't like it that much, probably because I was just following the instructions with zero understanding of what was actually happening. Also, I don't have anywhere to put it, and it doesn't look cool enough to use as a display piece. I'll probably tear it down and make the alternative build some day. And then tear that down too and make something myself, I dunno.

Then I got the Star Wars A-Wing, and the Haunted House.

The A-Wing was cool, but a bit small. I was pretty sure beforehand that I preferred building things in minifig scale, and that confirmed it. I like my little dudes.

The Haunted House I liked a lot. Buildings are cool, and it's minifig scale, and it just looks great.

I also got some smaller Creator sets, but I'm not a big fan. They weren't minifig scale, they don't work as display pieces, and they're small. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them now. (Out of the possible builds here, I liked the cars best. The robots are kinda silly.)

So since I had the best experience with large buildings, I then got the Pet Shop. It's very cool, and now I'm going to get all the modular buildings I can get my hands on. I won't get the discontinued ones though, 800$ is a bit much for one set.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ika posted:

amazon.fr has boxes of series 10 listed as in stock and shipping today, for 118 euros. According to the eurobricks review they contain 2 full sets and various spares. (link)

I meant to say before, but is anyone else really creeped out by this guy? It might be the just slightly off broken English and the depth he goes to with it but reading his posts makes me feel like he is one step removed from a serial killer.

PeePot posted:

Yeah, pretty much the only distribution amount in this series they seem to have gotten right is the Roman Captain since I think everyone is going to want that.

Six Romans, four baseball guys, four Skydivers, four Mechanics, and then one more of each of the figures that are only two to a box would have been perfect, I think.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 9, 2013

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

$250 a night to start, and no space theme. Add to that ~$90 for a park pass that doesn't include as much as you'd think (there are attractions that cost money within the park, beyond the stores and food).

It might be worth a day to take kids to, but I wasn't impressed by the value when I took a day trip out there solo during a family trip to Disneyland.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Pyroclastic posted:

$250 a night to start, and no space theme. Add to that ~$90 for a park pass that doesn't include as much as you'd think (there are attractions that cost money within the park, beyond the stores and food).

It might be worth a day to take kids to, but I wasn't impressed by the value when I took a day trip out there solo during a family trip to Disneyland.

Quick update, it is for kids.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Quick update, it is for kids.

$250 dollars a night, for the children

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

Consider that for a family of four, the 2-day admission tickets would be $372. Makes the hotel seem reasonable.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

If any of you are looking for a bunch of modular buildings, this shopgoodwill auction has at least 4-5 of them and is only up to $226, ending tomorrow.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Sloppy posted:

If any of you are looking for a bunch of modular buildings, this shopgoodwill auction has at least 4-5 of them and is only up to $226, ending tomorrow.

Holy poo poo.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
I know it's been done before, but it bears repeating now.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Are the lego stores still stocking the VW wagon? My mom is looking for a belated birthday present ( :3: ) and wants to go to Barton Creek to get me one.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

Are the lego stores still stocking the VW wagon? My mom is looking for a belated birthday present ( :3: ) and wants to go to Barton Creek to get me one.

I was at the Cleveland store last weekend and they had it in stock.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sloppy posted:

Wow I had no idea Goodwill had it's own auction website and by the looks of it there is a bunch of Lego products for sell. I am going to have to keep a eye on Goodwill now to see if I can snag a deal or two.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Rythe posted:

Wow I had no idea Goodwill had it's own auction website and by the looks of it there is a bunch of Lego products for sell. I am going to have to keep a eye on Goodwill now to see if I can snag a deal or two.

Just make sure to estimate shipping before you bid. Some stores will gouge the hell out of you (huge handling fees, shipping increases with bid, etc). Also look carefully at the pictures, because some stores pick out all the minifigs and sell those separately.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's just fun to watch that Goodwill auction go up and up and up. :allears:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes, yes it is.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Captain Invictus posted:

what would the approx retail on those handful of sets be?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Retail nothing, it's the secondary value that's the real draw. Retail is like 700ish, secondary is about 2 grand.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
I see Green Grocer, Cafe Corner, and Market Street in that auction. They're the first 3 modular building sets and are all discontinued, so the prices for those sets on ebay are kind of nuts.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rythe posted:

The problem is that the whole reason Goodwill has a unified auction site is to get closer to market value on rare expensive items that have a smaller number of buyers.

The amazing thing is that someone donated those to Goodwill in the first place.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

smackfu posted:

The problem is that the whole reason Goodwill has a unified auction site is to get closer to market value on rare expensive items that have a smaller number of buyers.

The amazing thing is that someone donated those to Goodwill in the first place.
I speculate that someone died, someone else came in to dispose of their possessions and didn't understand what they were looking at. "Oh, these old LEGO? Who'd want those? He always had some weird emotional attachment to them. Just put them in the Goodwill box."

It's doubly strange that they were obviously complete, but someone carelessly tossed them in a box.

For anyone interested in bidding, keep in mind that the sets may or may not be complete. If it's missing certain pieces, they can be very expensive to replace. Also, they probably don't have instructions and there are no boxes.

einTier fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Someone brought this to my attention today.

The creator was apparently tired of the criticism the SSD gets as a "big boring grey set".