Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Why is there so little talk of Navi-X in this thread? I've recently stumbled onto it and have been VERY impressed with the results. Sure, it takes a bit of time to sift through some user lists to find some solid channels to add to your favorites, but once that's done you can just pop in and out of channels of varying quality. So far the two best I've found is Animal Planet HD and Sky Sports 1, both in 720p. I could hardly tell it wasn't coming in over an actual satellite signal. I know the downside is that these feeds come and go and you may have to put up with some Malaysian subtitles, but this seems like a cordcutters dream here.

What are some tips and tricks you guys have, how are you using Navi-x, especially now that their curated list of Live TV channels is gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Why is there so little talk of Navi-X in this thread? I've recently stumbled onto it and have been VERY impressed with the results. Sure, it takes a bit of time to sift through some user lists to find some solid channels to add to your favorites, but once that's done you can just pop in and out of channels of varying quality. So far the two best I've found is Animal Planet HD and Sky Sports 1, both in 720p. I could hardly tell it wasn't coming in over an actual satellite signal. I know the downside is that these feeds come and go and you may have to put up with some Malaysian subtitles, but this seems like a cordcutters dream here.

What are some tips and tricks you guys have, how are you using Navi-x, especially now that their curated list of Live TV channels is gone?

I imagine there's little talk about it because it's illegal.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

snuff posted:

I imagine there's little talk about it because it's illegal.

Oh... That would be quite right now, wouldn't it. Suppose I originally thought of it in the grey area as we discuss other streams and such.

Welp, forget I said anything then!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TraderStav posted:

Oh... That would be quite right now, wouldn't it. Suppose I originally thought of it in the grey area as we discuss other streams and such.

Welp, forget I said anything then!

I kind of went with the theory that if it wasn't allowed on the official XBMC forums, then it probably shouldn't be mentioned in the OP. Talking about it in general terms is probably ok, as long as we don't start posting "HOW TO WATCH ALL OF THINGS FOR FREE" guides and keep it to technical talk.

What say you thread: should I add it to the OP?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EC posted:

I kind of went with the theory that if it wasn't allowed on the official XBMC forums, then it probably shouldn't be mentioned in the OP. Talking about it in general terms is probably ok, as long as we don't start posting "HOW TO WATCH ALL OF THINGS FOR FREE" guides and keep it to technical talk.

What say you thread: should I add it to the OP?

I don't visit the forums, so that's where I went astray.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I have a Zotac AD10 (Windows 7, so I can run emulators) running the Frodo RC and it's a piece of crap. I haven't used it as a media center since I bought it, but when I went to try it last night, it was just an exercise in frustration. My movies are all jerky -- around 1 fps -- and the audio doesn't work at all.

I asked about the audio before and tried the passthrough solution someone suggested but it didn't help.

I've also tried both fullscreen window and true fullscreen -- no difference.

Any ideas?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

tarepanda posted:

I have a Zotac AD10 (Windows 7, so I can run emulators) running the Frodo RC

wut
If there's one area of gaming that Linux handles as well as Windows it's emulation.

Why would you still be running an RC when 12.1 has been out for a month or so already?

I don't know about your other problem, but make sure you've got hardware decoding enabled in the settings if playback is horrible.

XBMC generally runs a bit more efficiently on Linux than Windows, and you're on a low-power device, so I'd make the switch over if emulators are what's held you back.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

tarepanda posted:

I have a Zotac AD10 (Windows 7, so I can run emulators) running the Frodo RC and it's a piece of crap. I haven't used it as a media center since I bought it, but when I went to try it last night, it was just an exercise in frustration. My movies are all jerky -- around 1 fps -- and the audio doesn't work at all.

I asked about the audio before and tried the passthrough solution someone suggested but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

If you are interested in paying with emulators, someone is working on building them directly into XBMC. It's still experimental at this point, but it should be seamless when it is done.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tarepanda posted:

Any ideas?

There is something wrong with your install. I ran wmc doing 2 channel dvr and xbmc at the same time and 1080p was flawless.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Keito posted:

wut
If there's one area of gaming that Linux handles as well as Windows it's emulation.

That's not what I'd heard. Everyone has been saying to go OpenElec EXCEPT if you want to do emulation.

Keito posted:

Why would you still be running an RC when 12.1 has been out for a month or so already?

The RC was what was out when I set up the HTPC. I don't have internet at home right now.

Keito posted:

I don't know about your other problem, but make sure you've got hardware decoding enabled in the settings if playback is horrible.

It is. -.-

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

tarepanda posted:

That's not what I'd heard. Everyone has been saying to go OpenElec EXCEPT if you want to do emulation.

Openelec will run emulators just fine. Setting them up is not the simplest thing ever, compared to full Linux distros like Ubuntu, but it will work just as well.

Windows is probably easier to get set up but also probably has more over head. On a modern system, the over head is so small it doesn't really much. You have some other problem at work.

Check your CPU utilization during play back. If things are set up right, it should be very low.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
It would also help to know the codec details of what you are having trouble playing. Some stuff like 10-bit H264 can't be hardware decoded and will typically play like poo poo on underpowered hardware.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

evilalien posted:

It would also help to know the codec details of what you are having trouble playing. Some stuff like 10-bit H264 can't be hardware decoded and will typically play like poo poo on underpowered hardware.

Anything. I can't play a single video in XBMC. They all play fine in WMP or MPC.

Edit: I may as well hold off on the griping until I get an internet connection again so I can install the latest version of XBMC.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY
I've got two XBMC clients connecting to a MySQL server, which is just my desktop PC. Because it's just my desktop, I turn it off fairly often. Currently if I turn on one of the clients while the desktop is off, the client will just sit at the XBMC logo as it tries indefinitely to connect to the unavailable server. Is there a way to have it eventually give up and load XBMC without a library, so I can use things like Amazon and other video plug-ins without needing to turn on my desktop? Ideally I could set a timeout like 3-5 seconds.

Related to that, I'd love a way to remotely shut down the server (Windows 8) from each of the clients (Windows 8 AD-10 and ATV2.) I'm confident there's some way to hack it together on the Windows client, though it's been harder than I expected. I haven't given much serious effort to the ATV2 yet, until I've solved the "easy" one. Either an add-on that sends a network shutdown command or ideally a skin addition that adds this to the shutdown menu. Has this been done before, or do I need to find my own convoluted path?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

tarepanda posted:

Any ideas?

Is DXVA enabled in the settings?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I bought a Pivos XIOS DS after some research thinking it could do what I wanted it to, but after a lot of problems I will be returning it. Just wanted to highlight some of it's problems as to warn others that are on the fence, a lot of these things they're not really talking about on the official Pivos forums.

- Can't play large files without stutter and audio drop-outs (and I am using the latest XBMC-Linux nightly build)

- Can't output 24p, so there is loads of judder on everything

- Had some weird flicker sometimes when outputting 1080p (no problems doing 720p og 1080i, but who cares?)

- The dedicated XBMC build is pretty gimped so you can't really add scrapers easily for your content (Maybe there's a way to do this but since it can't play files I didn't bother) and there is no way to add custom skins on XBMC

- No way to add my media from my media USB-HDD connected to my Aiport Extreme, and connecting the USB-HDD directly to the XIOS means you can only access it with WinSCP and transfer speeds of 2mb/s

There's a lot of potential for devices like this but I feel it just isn't there yet. I will probably buy one later down the line but for now I'm gonna live with my WDTV Live, it plays everything I throw at it super smooth even though it's slow as hell and the UI is pretty basic.

I just want a low power box that plays all my media (from my Airport Extreme connected HDD) and is snappy and pretty, but I guess no such device exists yet?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

some_weird_kid posted:

I've got two XBMC clients connecting to a MySQL server, which is just my desktop PC. Because it's just my desktop, I turn it off fairly often. Currently if I turn on one of the clients while the desktop is off, the client will just sit at the XBMC logo as it tries indefinitely to connect to the unavailable server. Is there a way to have it eventually give up and load XBMC without a library, so I can use things like Amazon and other video plug-ins without needing to turn on my desktop? Ideally I could set a timeout like 3-5 seconds.

No. Xbmc will not start with out access to it's database. Your only alternatives are to not share the db and use the standard local db file, or leave your computer on all the time.

As long as your PC sleeps it's hard drives and monitor, it should not use much power. You could possibly try configuring sleep modes for it and enabling wake on lan but I don't know of it could wake fast enough got the xbmc machines to access their db

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

snuff posted:

I bought a Pivos XIOS DS after some research thinking it could do what I wanted it to, but after a lot of problems I will be returning it. Just wanted to highlight some of it's problems as to warn others that are on the fence, a lot of these things they're not really talking about on the official Pivos forums.

- Can't play large files without stutter and audio drop-outs (and I am using the latest XBMC-Linux nightly build)

- Had some weird flicker sometimes when outputting 1080p (no problems doing 720p og 1080i, but who cares?)

- The dedicated XBMC build is pretty gimped so you can't really add scrapers easily for your content (Maybe there's a way to do this but since it can't play files I didn't bother) and there is no way to add custom skins on XBMC

- No way to add my media from my media USB-HDD connected to my Aiport Extreme, and connecting the USB-HDD directly to the XIOS means you can only access it with WinSCP and transfer speeds of 2mb/s

There's a lot of potential for devices like this but I feel it just isn't there yet. I will probably buy one later down the line but for now I'm gonna live with my WDTV Live, it plays everything I throw at it super smooth even though it's slow as hell and the UI is pretty basic.

I just want a low power box that plays all my media (from my Airport Extreme connected HDD) and is snappy and pretty, but I guess no such device exists yet?

I'm really happy with Openelec on a intel mobile sandy bridge nm70 chipset. Board chip and ram can usually be had for 75 bucks, so you just gotta add a power supply, case, and USB stick. Thing runs at like 17 watts and plays everything I throw at it. It can also handle aeon nox and other heavy skins.

The other option is ouya in June, not sure how it will perform quiet yet.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I was pretty weary of that Pivos box I saw some dude spamming about on Redflagdeals, thanks for the trip report. People just seem to put their fingers in their ears and say lalala whenever you bring up potential issues with it. I was looking for something a bit cheaper than an AD10 for my brothers place but I guess I'll keep looking.

USR-Atlas
Mar 30, 2011
Soiled Meat

snuff posted:

I have one too and it's been working fine for the most part
- can play files from my QNAP NAS no problem, stutter free.
- 1080p@24Hz isn't advertised and they say not supported if asked on Pivos forum, it is in the works but the to do list has much higher priorities.
- 1080p bug is present in the device, it's recommended to stay at 720p until they can fix it.
- not sure what your doing wrong here, I can add skins perfectly fine, the add-on manager can read any USB or SD card plugged into the XIOS.
- Airport Extreme is a not so great NAS, Apple only have AFP and their flaky Samba implementation, the XIOS works best with NFS, Windows SMB/Linux Samba (wired ethernet) or UPnP/DLNA.

The XIOS is a low end device, it's comparable to an AppleTV but pretty much any PC running XBMC runs it better but the XIOS can do the job if your not too fussy. It's come a long way since it was first released last year and I've had one since the beginning so it has been steadily improving. The ATV2 which Scott Davilla (the man behind the XIOS) developed XBMC for was also a total mess for a long time.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Lowen SoDium posted:

Openelec will run emulators just fine. Setting them up is not the simplest thing ever, compared to full Linux distros like Ubuntu, but it will work just as well.

There is a fork of openelec that uses garbears xbmc fork with retroarch. I've been using it for a couple weeks now. Plays NES roms great. I haven't tried anything else yet.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Esk1 posted:

I'm really happy with Openelec on a intel mobile sandy bridge nm70 chipset. Board chip and ram can usually be had for 75 bucks, so you just gotta add a power supply, case, and USB stick. Thing runs at like 17 watts and plays everything I throw at it. It can also handle aeon nox and other heavy skins.
Speaking of, can the A3500 run Aeon Nox? I tried installing it, but the lag was absolutely terrible. I don't know if this was due to Windows updates trying to run at the same time, or if the system just can't handle the skin (which would bum me out, since I really like it.)

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Speaking of, can the A3500 run Aeon Nox? I tried installing it, but the lag was absolutely terrible. I don't know if this was due to Windows updates trying to run at the same time, or if the system just can't handle the skin (which would bum me out, since I really like it.)

I'm not familiar with running that chip, but under windows it wouldn't surprise me if it struggles. I know my box won't run it inside windows but on xbmcunbuntu or Openelec it has no issues.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

berzerkmonkey posted:

It runs fine on mine, but I'm running OpenELEC 3.0.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

USR-Atlas posted:

I have one too and it's been working fine for the most part
- can play files from my QNAP NAS no problem, stutter free.
- 1080p@24Hz isn't advertised and they say not supported if asked on Pivos forum, it is in the works but the to do list has much higher priorities.
- 1080p bug is present in the device, it's recommended to stay at 720p until they can fix it.
- not sure what your doing wrong here, I can add skins perfectly fine, the add-on manager can read any USB or SD card plugged into the XIOS.
- Airport Extreme is a not so great NAS, Apple only have AFP and their flaky Samba implementation, the XIOS works best with NFS, Windows SMB/Linux Samba (wired ethernet) or UPnP/DLNA.

The XIOS is a low end device, it's comparable to an AppleTV but pretty much any PC running XBMC runs it better but the XIOS can do the job if your not too fussy. It's come a long way since it was first released last year and I've had one since the beginning so it has been steadily improving. The ATV2 which Scott Davilla (the man behind the XIOS) developed XBMC for was also a total mess for a long time.

I played files locally and it still stuttered occasionally, I'm talking about 15-20gb .mkv files. All the other issues I had were secondary, although not having 24Hz would also be a dealbreaker, I don't understand how people can stand the judder.

And there's an official 1080p bug? Wow, I should have done some more research :(

Anyway I'm glad it's working out for you, I just expected a more refined product.

Although after having experienced XBMC, it's hard for me to go back to the old WDTV Live.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Esk1 posted:

I'm not familiar with running that chip, but under windows it wouldn't surprise me if it struggles. I know my box won't run it inside windows but on xbmcunbuntu or Openelec it has no issues.

Fillerbunny posted:

It runs fine on mine, but I'm running OpenELEC 3.0.
Gotta be Windows then. Thanks.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah I moved back to OE 3.0 from my windows 8 xbmc install and its a much more pleasant experience. Windows would hardly ever come out of sleep correctly, and it was just slower in general than OE is even running off a SD card. Its trivially easy to dual boot as well, if I need Windows I just pop out the SD card.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What is the setup with OpenElec like? I don't have anything crazy going on right now, but I do have an IR dongle thingy for my Harmony remote.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is the setup with OpenElec like? I don't have anything crazy going on right now, but I do have an IR dongle thingy for my Harmony remote.

You download your correct version, install that to a thumb drive, boot from that, install to whatever you want. I use a 8gb sd card. From then boot from the OE drive and that is all there is to it. It just boots right into xbmc. It could hardly be easier.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

snuff posted:

I played files locally and it still stuttered occasionally, I'm talking about 15-20gb .mkv files. All the other issues I had were secondary, although not having 24Hz would also be a dealbreaker, I don't understand how people can stand the judder.

And there's an official 1080p bug? Wow, I should have done some more research :(

Anyway I'm glad it's working out for you, I just expected a more refined product.

Although after having experienced XBMC, it's hard for me to go back to the old WDTV Live.

I have one of these too, and I haven't seen much of the "1080p bug." I didn't even know it was an issue. I ran my favorite choke test against it, the goose scene from Planet Earth, and while the Xios didn't take it in stride, it didn't stutter so much that I was excessively bothered by it.

I will agree with you that I don't think this particular device should be on the shelves at this point. It's somewhat odd to me that they ask the amount of money that they do for something that barely works out of the box. It was pretty clearly rushed to market, which is unfortunate because it seems to have a lot of potential, but you're right that it's not there yet.

edit:

berzerkmonkey posted:

Your IR dongle won't be an issue, most likely. Depending on the kind you have, in the eyes of your computer, it's effectively a keyboard.

kri kri posted:

You download your correct version, install that to a thumb drive, boot from that, install to whatever you want. I use a 8gb sd card. From then boot from the OE drive and that is all there is to it. It just boots right into xbmc. It could hardly be easier.

Yeah, it's really pretty easy. In the case of the A3500, you want the Fusion installer found here. If you're using Windows to set up your thumb drive as an install stick, you'll want to run the create_installstick.bat from within an Administrator-empowered command line. Just a tip.

Fillerbunny fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 10, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm finally getting around to upgrading to Frodo.

How long is the (MySQL) database upgrade going to take? I've been waiting 10 minutes or so and the log file shows its still upgrading the videos db. There's like 9k tv episodes and 800 movies...

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I'm finally getting around to upgrading to Frodo.

How long is the (MySQL) database upgrade going to take? I've been waiting 10 minutes or so and the log file shows its still upgrading the videos db. There's like 9k tv episodes and 800 movies...

Yeah, mine took about 35 minutes with similar quantities...just be patient, it's worth it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mthrboard posted:

Yeah, mine took about 35 minutes with similar quantities...just be patient, it's worth it.

Yeah, that's around what mine took as well.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
I lost my tv renamer, it was simple, functional, and had a dropdown box for choosing alternate show names if it was wrong, and also manual entry. The place I got it from comes up with 404, does anyone have a working link? Searching for tv renamer doesn't exactly have useful results. This blog has a guide with pictures of it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20149/quickly-rename-ripped-or-downloaded-tv-series-files/

All the others I've tried are needlessly complicated, or want to manage everything I have, or don't have an easy way of changing the show results. I just wanna open a folder and rename some files sometimes, it's mostly automated but sometimes I need to fix something.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Traxxus posted:

I lost my tv renamer, it was simple, functional, and had a dropdown box for choosing alternate show names if it was wrong, and also manual entry. The place I got it from comes up with 404, does anyone have a working link? Searching for tv renamer doesn't exactly have useful results. This blog has a guide with pictures of it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20149/quickly-rename-ripped-or-downloaded-tv-series-files/

All the others I've tried are needlessly complicated, or want to manage everything I have, or don't have an easy way of changing the show results. I just wanna open a folder and rename some files sometimes, it's mostly automated but sometimes I need to fix something.

I use Filebot, which is pretty simple and has worked flawlessly for me.
http://filebot.net/

It has scripting support too, I have it set up to run whenever a uTorrent download finishes and it renames and copies the completed files into the correct folder structure, which is pretty nifty.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

StorrowS posted:

It has scripting support too, I have it set up to run whenever a uTorrent download finishes and it renames and copies the completed files into the correct folder structure, which is pretty nifty.

This is pretty nice, thanks. Has similar options, doesn't bug me for media sources, and drag and drop.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

StorrowS posted:

Ooo - I like the looks of that. Thanks for posting it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So, I decided to download some music videos off of youtube to try out music video support in XBMC.

I add the directory with the videos, set the source as music videos, and then what? Metropolis has a main menu option for Music Videos, but that just shows that source in Files view (aka it just lists the filenames, extension and all with no metadata).

Is this a skin thing?

How do I do something useful with music videos?

edit: So, it turns out the music video scraper is really picky about file names. They have to be artist - title.mp4. You can't have stuff like "feat. someArtist" in the filename anywhere unless you want to create a .nfo for the music video.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah I gave up on all that, especially because it didn't find half of my music videos. So I just made a folder with nice file names and made a favorite shortcut to that. No fancy art or images or anything but gently caress it.