Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I got nuthun to add, except I like to think he got tossed off the blimp.

NO TICKET!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

That makes more sense. I'm still not entirely clear on how he wound up back in France, though. Someone would have to pay for the return ticket, I would think. And why wasn't the U.S. embassy in the U.K. contacted, rather than waiting until back in France? (And a very minor point, but Marseille seems like an odd place to go to the consulate, considering it's about as far from the U.K. as any city in France.)

If someone is refused entry to a country, it is typically the duty of the carrier to return them to their point of origin. Meaning that if you fly from France to the UK on Virgin Air and get bounced, the border agency will turn you over to Virgin and say 'take this person back to France ASAP', and the airline has to do it. Now, the airline might try and extract the cost of that ticket from the traveler, but they might also decide it isn't worth their time.

I am not sure about the UK, but for the US the airline that brought the person could also face fines and penalties if it turns out they transported someone without appropriate entry documentation. They can potentially try to bill you for that, too, but I doubt they have great collection rates.

I would guess that he went to the US consulate in Marseilles because that is where they flew him back to. The US consulate in the UK would not have been contacted because the UK authorities have no reason to contact them for refusing him entry, and I doubt he would have been given the time or opportunity to contact them himself before being returned to France. I'm not sure what the US consulate in London could have done, anyway - they're not going to take any serious action on behalf of some random guy who was refused entry. At most they would have lent him money (as Marseilles did) but he wouldn't be able to collect or use it without being let into the UK anyway.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Ashcans posted:

If someone is refused entry to a country, it is typically the duty of the carrier to return them to their point of origin. Meaning that if you fly from France to the UK on Virgin Air and get bounced, the border agency will turn you over to Virgin and say 'take this person back to France ASAP', and the airline has to do it. Now, the airline might try and extract the cost of that ticket from the traveler, but they might also decide it isn't worth their time.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Questions answered, I guess.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:
Hoping someone can give me tenant advice in Idaho. Basically my apartment (which is a house converted into 3 different units) has mouses running around and making GBS threads on everything (all my silverware is in the sink since the mice got in and peed and pooped everywhere where I keep those things). After weeks of bugging him he said he was going to bring me some poison to lay out, but that unless it's a infestation, that it's on me to get it taken care of. I know there are at least three mice running around.

Basically what I'm trying to find out is that what counts as an infestation? And is it really me that has to take care of it or is he just hoping I can't decode the tenant/landlord laws?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I dunno the legal stuff. But in general your answer is probably non-legal. Many landlords will agree to rent reductions if you buy your own materials and do it yourself. For example, offer to buy the mousetraps yourself, turn in the receipts, and subtract the costs from rent. Get the landlord to agree before doing it, but it provides an easy out for the landlord.

"Hey slumlord, I'm on the way to Walmart, why don't I just buy the mousetraps and deduct it from next months rent? I won't spend more than $25" (or whatever, I dunno what mousetraps cost)

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 9, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Aside from needing to fill out a bunch of paperwork, what are the general downsides of having my last name legally changed?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jet Ready Go posted:

Aside from needing to fill out a bunch of paperwork, what are the general downsides of having my last name legally changed?

People who have a hard time remembering names, but know you well enough to know your current name, would be slightly piqued.

Your girlfriend/boyfriend might accidentally scream out a name that now technically blows to someone else during sex, and while that is hilarious, it would cause slight amounts of embarrassment and sexual turmoil in your relationship.

And so on and so forth in that manner.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

thenotoriouspie posted:

Hoping someone can give me tenant advice in Idaho. Basically my apartment (which is a house converted into 3 different units) has mouses running around and making GBS threads on everything (all my silverware is in the sink since the mice got in and peed and pooped everywhere where I keep those things). After weeks of bugging him he said he was going to bring me some poison to lay out, but that unless it's a infestation, that it's on me to get it taken care of. I know there are at least three mice running around.

Basically what I'm trying to find out is that what counts as an infestation? And is it really me that has to take care of it or is he just hoping I can't decode the tenant/landlord laws?

Let him know that you aren't going to pay anything to fix it and to enjoy paying multitudes more when it's a large scale infestation that would have been much cheaper to nip in the bud. The physical damage plus removing them and making sure they're removed isn't cheap. Actually, if it's owned by someone else, I'd tell them what the landlord is doing to the property.

Based on how he acts, I'd also start looking for another place to live. If he doesn't want to fix this problem, why would he be responsible for anything else?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

thenotoriouspie posted:

An infestation like that is going to require an exterminator who can secure the entrance\exit points for the mice, and then work on exterminating the ones that are inside. You can lay down all the traps you want, but that will just lead to a bunch of dead mice everywhere. The underlying problem has to be addressed otherwise it will never get better. Having been in a stituation like that before believe me the mice wil breed faster than you can kill them. Infestation may not have a legal definition, and it may depend on the proof you can gather.

http://americanlandlords.org/landlord_tenant/Idaho.pdf

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Jet Ready Go posted:

My husband did it over twenty years ago, and the only downside for him has been some slight difficulties with background checks in his military and law enforcement careers.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Jet Ready Go posted:

Learning a new signature.

Figuring out the 50 million little places you have to change your name, and of course all of them do it differently.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Jet Ready Go posted:

Your parents will be disappointed in you for not carrying down the family name

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jet Ready Go posted:

If you live in Quebec you can't change your name like this sorry.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If you live in Quebec you can't change your name like this sorry.

Except you can?

Sure you have to go up to the direction de l'etat civil and explain why, and I assume poo poo like "I wanna go by Jumanji McAwesome because it's got swag!" would get turned down, but it's doable.

Edit:

educaloi.qc.ca posted:

For the Directeur de l’état civil to accept a name change, the reasons given must be serious. Here are a few examples of serious reasons:
•In everyday life, you usually use a name that is different from the name in your birth certificate. E.g., you use the name Guylaine, but the name Ghislaine is on your birth certificate.
•Your name is of foreign origin or is too difficult to pronounce or write.
•Your name invites ridicule.
•Your name has a negative connotation. For example, your name is Hitler.
•Using your name, and not the name of your husband, is against your religious beliefs.

Therefore, a woman named Julie would not be allowed change her name because she finds Fantasia to be more original.

I love their examples. "For example, your name is Hitler."

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 9, 2013

Victory Yodel
Jan 28, 2005

When in Jerusalem, I highly suggest you visit the sexeteria.
I had a quick question around buying a home. I'm under contract for a house and the inspection period has passed. During the inspection, several things were found and agreed upon. I recently visited the house to get some measurements, however, and found 2 things that I don't believe (though can't say for sure) were there at the inspection. Specifically, there is a large crack in one window and there appears to be something wrong with the fridge.

My question is, what recourse do I have? I am well past the inspection window and I don't want to cancel the contract--I still want to buy the house. Do we have any right to insist these things be corrected, especially since we didn't see them before (nor did our inpector)? These are both things that could have happened within the last few weeks. Do I have any leverage at all?

Thanks!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

thenotoriouspie posted:

Idaho law doesn't specifically say whose responsibility it is to fix this. Figure out what's letting the mice get in, then send a demand to fix that as described in Idaho Code 6-320.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.

Victory Yodel posted:

I had a quick question around buying a home. I'm under contract for a house and the inspection period has passed. During the inspection, several things were found and agreed upon. I recently visited the house to get some measurements, however, and found 2 things that I don't believe (though can't say for sure) were there at the inspection. Specifically, there is a large crack in one window and there appears to be something wrong with the fridge.

My question is, what recourse do I have? I am well past the inspection window and I don't want to cancel the contract--I still want to buy the house. Do we have any right to insist these things be corrected, especially since we didn't see them before (nor did our inpector)? These are both things that could have happened within the last few weeks. Do I have any leverage at all?

Thanks!

Anything that was found by your inspector will be in his report. You should also look back at property disclosure agreements. Different states require different disclosures, so windows and appliances may not be covered. You could probably try to get it covered during the final walk-through. If it wasn't found in inspection though, you are probably out of luck. Not a lawyer.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
-

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 22, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Javid posted:

I think the notion is subpoena google for an ip -> subpoena ISP for a name -> proceed with lawsuit.

I also think the OP knows it's a lost cause and is just yakking, so the real question is "In a theoretical case where the OP is Bill Gates and has infinite money for lawyers, could they actually push this through and sue the anonymous gmailer?"

In a theoretical Bill Gates case, still no.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

This story seems odd--why would they go to the trouble and expense of deporting him back to France, rather than contacting the U.S. embassy in London? This story seems like it's missing something, but I don't know much about international law/practices, really.

This happens pretty regularly, enough so that the U.S. State Department has an office within the Bureau of Consular Affairs to handle these things (they're the ones who actually issued the loan). He'll want to speak to an immigration attorney for the denial of entry issues, and most likely any dispute over the ticket will be subject to arbitration.

Starpluck posted:

My written signatures are never the same. If you have me sign something, and then sign something else 2-3 minutes later it will be vastly different. I don't do this intentionally.

Will this affect me at all in the future? Will I inevitably run into verification issues in the future (or will that be rare)? Do I have potential to claim forgery on legal documents I've signed (hypothetical question)?

Yes, this may cause verification issues if people don't trust your signature. Otherwise this question comes up from time to time, you can sign in hieroglyphics and it would be OK. The important thing is who is signing. No you cannot claim forgery, since you were the signatory, and that would be so blatantly wrong you should be ashamed of even asking that question.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most important signatures are notarized and if it is notarized it really does not matter what your signature looks like.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

This happens pretty regularly, enough so that the U.S. State Department has an office within the Bureau of Consular Affairs to handle these things (they're the ones who actually issued the loan).

Yeah, I'm aware that kind of thing happens quite often. My questions were more 1) why not deal with it in the UK, rather than someone paying to ship him back to France and then dealing with it, and 2) some of the specific details here didn't quite add up (e.g., in the first post he was not in Virgin's database, then in the second post a Virgin representative told him he had to pay a fee he couldn't pay at the time, indicating he was in the database). The first has been answered, the second I'll assume was a misstatement (although it does seem potentially relevant to any liability on Virgin's part).

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Just saw this story in the paper:

Quentin Graham, 27, pleaded guilty to one count of distributing and Jimmy Barker, 26, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute.

If convicted, Graham faces 5 to 40 years in prison while Barker faces 10 years to life in prison.

Since they have already plead guilty, doesn't that mean they have already been convicted and are just awaiting sentencing?

In layman's terms, what does conspiracy to distribute mean and why does it carry a harsher punishment than actually distributing?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
So my FIL is about to be involved in a house sale where he expects to earn ~200k. Due to a bunch of circumstances, we need to somehow get this money into a trust that he is not a controlling interest in(but rather is the beneficiary). He wants his two daughters to be in charge of the trust.

What kind of lawyer do we need? Real Estate lawyer?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lord1234 posted:

So my FIL is about to be involved in a house sale where he expects to earn ~200k. Due to a bunch of circumstances, we need to somehow get this money into a trust that he is not a controlling interest in(but rather is the beneficiary). He wants his two daughters to be in charge of the trust.

Any local civil law firm can handle this. It is a simple and straightforward legal issue.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

SkunkDuster posted:

Quentin Graham, 27, pleaded guilty to one count of distributing and Jimmy Barker, 26, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute.

If convicted, Graham faces 5 to 40 years in prison while Barker faces 10 years to life in prison.

Since they have already plead guilty, doesn't that mean they have already been convicted and are just awaiting sentencing?

In layman's terms, what does conspiracy to distribute mean and why does it carry a harsher punishment than actually distributing?

"If convicted" is probably just bad copywriting in the paper. Someone on the writing staff got in the habit of using that whenever discussing charges and no one bothered to think about it. Unless there's some goofy procedural thing going on that I can't fathom, you're correct.

Conspiracy as a crime is an agreement between two or more people to commit a given crime at some point in the future. There are some finicky little rules about it that vary by jurisdiction, but in its simplest form, when you and Gavrilo agree that you're going to work together to assassinate the Archduke of Austria, you're guilty of conspiracy (leaving out the little rules I mentioned).

As to the sentencing, the "why" behind any individual term of years is anyone's guess. I notice that your wording says what each defendant faces, not what the range is for the crime. So it's possible one of them could have a sentencing deal worked in, or the other one has a whole string of priors that makes their prospects worse.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I edited this out of my previous post for brevity, but, in retrospect, I should have left it in as a good example of "Don't talk to cops":

Barker admitted that from April 2010 through April 2012 he and Graham conspired to distribute more than 400 grams of crack cocaine.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they didn't admit to that on advice from their lawyers.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

lord1234 posted:

Ya, many attorneys could do this. The most expert would be will and estates attorneys, who routinely setup trusts as you describe for living adults. If you're starting cold with like google, try phrases like "will and trust attorney <your city>", "estate planning attorney <your city>", etc.

SkunkDuster posted:

There is a gap between pleading guilty and a finding of guilt (conviction). With that said, it's probably a typo. Usually it happens in the same hearing, but not always. For example, a person can plead guilty and the matter continued while a plea bargain is reached (because the prosecutor wanted the plea on record before dealing). Or the judge takes it under advisement, suggests the defendant do X hours community service, and if they play ball and stay out of trouble for 6 months the judge dismisses the charges (where I live, this is very common for minor charges and 1st offenses). But most often the plea and the conviction happen back to back, like: "I have entered your plea of guilty, and I find you guilty." To my knowledge, guilty plea and conviction never happen simultaneously, just usually within seconds/minutes of each other.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 12, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SkunkDuster posted:

Conspiracy carries the same penalty as the underlying crime.
The difference in punishment range is because Barker had more than 280 grams of crack cocaine [(b)(1)(A)(iii)] attributed to him, and Graham had more than 28 but less than 280 grams of crack cocaine [(b)(1)(B)(iii)] attributed to him.
The "if convicted' sounds like sloppy writing. These guys are waiting for the sentencing hearing. (Probably 6-8 weeks)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

joat mon posted:

Conspiracy carries the same penalty as the underlying crime.
The difference in punishment range is because Barker had more than 280 grams of crack cocaine [(b)(1)(A)(iii)] attributed to him, and Graham had more than 28 but less than 280 grams of crack cocaine [(b)(1)(B)(iii)] attributed to him.
The "if convicted' sounds like sloppy writing. These guys are waiting for the sentencing hearing. (Probably 6-8 weeks)

This is a good response post. Thanks for looking into it and sharing the info.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've always thought it a little awkward that if you plan a crime yourself then you have until the point-of-no-return to decide not to follow through and you haven't committed an offence, but talk to someone about it and get their encouragement and you both have.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

woozle wuzzle posted:

There is a gap between pleading guilty and a finding of guilt (conviction).

I've seen instances where a guilty plea will be withdrawn too.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm in Texas. I work for a restaurant. The owner of this restaurant chain is involved in a charity. He's throwing an event to raise money for this charity. Though apparently he's willing to give away free food for this, he doesn't want to go so far as to pay people to work it, so he's asking employees to volunteer to work the event. Sounds good so far.

I am a junior manager there. However I am not salaried, as I also wait tables sometimes - when I am a manager I clock in as hourly employee. I'm pretty sure this is shady as hell in and of it self, as I didn't think anyone who did payroll related things could accept tips, but I guess the hourly thing works that out somehow. I'm not a lawyer, and it's honestly not a bad deal monetarily for me.

Now I have been informed through another junior manager in the same situation that a high ranking corporate executive has said that everyone with our job title MUST volunteer for this event. Furthermore, I have already been placed on the schedule to work this event, though I have expressed no interest in any way in volunteering for this event, and have in fact stated that had no interest in doing anything at all if I'm not being paid to do it.

Assuming that the person who told me this is not making it up or getting the facts wrong, is this legal? Can they legally put my job or position in jeopardy because I have no plans on devaluing my time by working for free, not to mention have no interest in setting a precedent that I am a doormat who will do whatever for them? If it is not legal, what steps should I take in order to document this if I am covering my rear end in case they decide to fire me over this? I know Texas is right to work so they can let me go for pretty much anything, but would documenting this so I could prove that it was most likely in retaliation for not working free help me out? My record there is absolutely spotless at the moment, I've been the star employee since I started a year ago, so if they started making up poo poo it'd stand out. Any advice anyone could give would be really helpful.

I'm already considering just finding a new job, but I want to know if I have any legal recourse on this.

Angstrom
Nov 4, 2011

I'm in Connecticut, and have Cigna dental insurance. I was in graduate school this year with a fellowship and was previously told over email by the program director that it covers "paid institutional fees and medical/dental insurance." I just received an email from the same person that they made a mistake with the dental insurance, and that "the correct process is that we pay the state share and you need to pay the employee share just like other graduate students." They are now asking me to pay a fee for the insurance I received from September 2012 to April 2013, and to cover the remaining summer months myself.

Do I need to pay these fees if they are a result of their own mistake? I understand having to pay my fees for the summer months, but for the previous months I was told that the insurance was covered as part of my fellowship. My apologies if this is a dumb question or if it would have been better asked elsewhere.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Did you receive any written paperwork detailing your insurance benefits other than the email? If there's a written statement with your benefits paperwork saying that you are required to pay $X per month for your insurance, then that takes precedence over an email and they have a right to go after you for money you agreed to pay when you accepted the insurance. If there is nothing in the paperwork about you having to pay, then they shouldn't retroactively stick you with the bill. Most larger universities have a student legal aid office that can assist you, I'd try going there.

Angstrom
Nov 4, 2011

Konstantin posted:

Did you receive any written paperwork detailing your insurance benefits other than the email? If there's a written statement with your benefits paperwork saying that you are required to pay $X per month for your insurance, then that takes precedence over an email and they have a right to go after you for money you agreed to pay when you accepted the insurance. If there is nothing in the paperwork about you having to pay, then they shouldn't retroactively stick you with the bill. Most larger universities have a student legal aid office that can assist you, I'd try going there.

No I don't believe so, looking over my offer letter it doesn't mention the insurance at all, so the email seems to be the only thing I have that references it. Also thank you for mentioning that there might be a student legal aid office, I hadn't considered that so I will look into it. Appreciate the help!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Dramatika posted:

I'm in Texas. I work for a restaurant. The owner of this restaurant chain is involved in a charity. He's throwing an event to raise money for this charity. Though apparently he's willing to give away free food for this, he doesn't want to go so far as to pay people to work it, so he's asking employees to volunteer to work the event. Sounds good so far.

I'm already considering just finding a new job, but I want to know if I have any legal recourse on this.

You're an hourly employee being forced to work unpaid hours. Yeah.. that's illegal.

I'd clock in for it if they made me go.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Angstrom posted:

No I don't believe so, looking over my offer letter it doesn't mention the insurance at all, so the email seems to be the only thing I have that references it. Also thank you for mentioning that there might be a student legal aid office, I hadn't considered that so I will look into it. Appreciate the help!

They should have given you an insurance packet on your first day detailing exactly what your insurance policy covers, who pays for it, and how to enroll. The information would be in there, not in a brief offer letter.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Angstrom posted:

I'm in Connecticut ... Do I need to pay these fees if they are a result of their own mistake?
That's bullshit. It's their fault, and you could tell them to go fly a kite and see what happens. Unless it's in a student contract somewhere, I'd bet fitty dolla they have zero leg to stand on. But even though it's bullshit, they can still put you through the ringer if you don't pay it. There's a million ways schools can stick it to you. I have no idea about your school, and it all comes down to the deans involved. My gut instinct is to push back and tell them to produce your contract or gently caress off. But the personality of a dean could make that the effective end of attending the school. You've got to weigh the consequences with your finances. Maybe push back at first to get a read on their temperature?

Dramatika posted:

I'm in Texas ... Can they legally put my job or position in jeopardy because I have no plans on devaluing my time by working for free
For working for free guy, that's bullshit. They can't force you to work anything unpaid, period. But that doesn't stop them from effectively firing you for it. They'll dress it up as something else. Who knows, they might not care and might not fire you. But they could. There's not really a legal remedy either way, unless they're really stupid about how they terminate people. So you've got to weigh your options. Do you like the place, how much work is the shift, will they end up paying the workers that day a bonus anyway (like pretend it's unpaid, then split a big surprise tip at the end)? How much will you need a reference and would this hurt you?

Both of you are in a similar legal boat. No, the process you are facing is not legal. You do not have to pay the insurance back, and you do not have to work for free. A judge will not order you to do either thing. But there are consequences to not playing ball.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

woozle wuzzle posted:

That's bullshit. It's their fault, and you could tell them to go fly a kite and see what happens. Unless it's in a student contract somewhere, I'd bet fitty dolla they have zero leg to stand on. But even though it's bullshit, they can still put you through the ringer if you don't pay it. There's a million ways schools can stick it to you. I have no idea about your school, and it all comes down to the deans involved. My gut instinct is to push back and tell them to produce your contract or gently caress off. But the personality of a dean could make that the effective end of attending the school.

If you're school is anything like my school (I'm also in graduate school) and if they want to be dicks about it, they'll just put a hold on your account. You'll never get your diploma until you pay the money. Sure, they'll let you keep on paying them for tuition and fees and attending class of course, but if you owe some entity of the school even five bucks, they'll withhold your degree. Your transcript will forever say DEGREE INCOMPLETE until you give somebody that five bucks. Even if you've completed all your classes and you're a 4.0 student and already paid the school many thousands of dollars. They want that goddamn five bucks. Even if you don't actually owe them five bucks. They're gonna get it.

So yeah... I'd definitely ask around and try not to get screwed over but don't be surprised if they make you pay anyway. It sucks but really how are you going to fight the university? You can't. Especially not with logical arguments and proof, oh no. I've been in academia too long to know that NEVER works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

woozle wuzzle posted:

For working for free guy, that's bullshit. They can't force you to work anything unpaid, period. But that doesn't stop them from effectively firing you for it. They'll dress it up as something else. Who knows, they might not care and might not fire you. But they could. There's not really a legal remedy either way, unless they're really stupid about how they terminate people. So you've got to weigh your options. Do you like the place, how much work is the shift, will they end up paying the workers that day a bonus anyway (like pretend it's unpaid, then split a big surprise tip at the end)? How much will you need a reference and would this hurt you?

Both of you are in a similar legal boat. No, the process you are facing is not legal. You do not have to pay the insurance back, and you do not have to work for free. A judge will not order you to do either thing. But there are consequences to not playing ball.

They've been shady the entire time I worked for them. I'm just going to document that I did not agree to work for free, look for a new job, show up for the free shift if they make me, clock in, and if they remove the hours I'll pursue that money through TWC as soon as I have new employment secured. I've been swaying towards finding somewhere new anyways. And restaurant job a dime a dozen in my town, and there's many places I could make more than I am right now. The management experience is nice, but honestly the company is a wreck and if I had to pick one thing this place is teaching me, it's bad habits.

Thanks for your advice.