Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Squirtle Squadee posted:

I have one question about TVs, though. Is it possible to find a really good CRT at a Flea Market/Garage Sale? Has anyone had any luck with finding some great TVs? Or would I just be beter off playing the games on my HDTV I have now?

Just get on craigslist and look for a Sony Trinitron Wega. I ended up driving a ways to get mine but only because I was after a really specific model number and I got sick of calling around locally begging people to tell me the model of the TV they had listed. Why don't people think to put this info in their drat listings?

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Okay. So, I was thinking about looking around some Flea Markets this summer and seeing what if I can find some guy who's selling a bunch of old gaming stuff for low cost. I really want to play Super Nintendo/NES and play some classics.

I have one question about TVs, though. Is it possible to find a really good CRT at a Flea Market/Garage Sale? Has anyone had any luck with finding some great TVs? Or would I just be better off playing the games on my HDTV I have now?

Somebody else can probably answer this better, but I've been looking for a new gaming CRT and they are absurdly cheap these days. Even a decent one shouldn't set you back that much. I nearly bought a 32-inch flat screen Trinitron with surround sound and just about every feature under the sun for $30 the other day. IIRC the original retail on the thing was something like $800. There should be a lot of sets hanging around Craigslist and thrift shops.

Now, that being said, it'd be even cheaper to just not buy a new TV. Only experience with this is that I tried plugging my old NES into our new-ish Magnavox the other morning and the picture was kinda bleah. Not unplayable, but it was definitely noticeable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

How would I do this?

I'm an idiot and forgot that the micro SD card comes blank.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If you're patient enough and in a populated enough area you shouldn't have to pay anything; you are paying by hauling away a back-destroying monstrosity for them.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Timett posted:

Just get on craigslist and look for a Sony Trinitron Wega. I ended up driving a ways to get mine but only because I was after a really specific model number and I got sick of calling around locally begging people to tell me the model of the TV they had listed. Why don't people think to put this info in their drat listings?

Yeah; that's probably a good idea. I heard Trinitron was pretty much the best.

Thanks, everybody.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I'm an idiot and forgot that the micro SD card comes blank.

At least it's nice to know that Micomsoft hasn't completely forgotten about us?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Scroll magazine is currently running a kickstarter for issue 10. Everyone in this thread should be interested in this publication.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/909444798/scroll-issue-10-summer

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Finally unlocked the Lancia Stratos in Sega Rally after many, many attempts. That was harder than gently caress, I just barely managed to get 1st place in Lakeside because the embankments and fences on the side of the road seem to be covered in superglue and the AI cars are all too happy to push you into them if you somehow manage not to hit them yourself. Not sure if the Stratos is worth it, really, the handling on this thing is a bit on the twitchy side.

In any case, this game owns. I'm honestly surprised it plays so well after all these years and without any analog controls.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So Robert Broglia, king of all things emulation on android, has released a C64 emulator [C64.emu]. I bought that poo poo immediately. His stuff is solid gold and hell yes I want a C64 emulator on my tablet.

I'm trying to get it to play nice with my Transformer Prime keyboard, which is being a little weird, but then again the C64 has an... interesting keyboard to map to.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Code Jockey posted:

So Robert Broglia, king of all things emulation on android, has released a C64 emulator [C64.emu]. I bought that poo poo immediately. His stuff is solid gold and hell yes I want a C64 emulator on my tablet.

I'm trying to get it to play nice with my Transformer Prime keyboard, which is being a little weird, but then again the C64 has an... interesting keyboard to map to.

This is awesome! I only have GBC.emu but never use it. I would use a C64.emu all the time though. Just something about emulating computers on computers and not consoles on computers.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

midge posted:

Scroll magazine is currently running a kickstarter for issue 10. Everyone in this thread should be interested in this publication.

Does that mean I can keep pimping it in this thread and not get in trouble?! Great let me start right now by telling you about th--*gunfire*

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

midge posted:

I ended up reading all of the free issue that's on the site and it was good and cool so I will be backing this thing and maybe probably most likely buying the rest of them when I get money. Thank you for alerting me to it! I miss magazines.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ACID POLICE posted:

This is awesome! I only have GBC.emu but never use it. I would use a C64.emu all the time though. Just something about emulating computers on computers and not consoles on computers.

I want to make an Xzibit joke but memes outside the meme thread are discouraged. :v: But yeah, once I get the Prime's keyboard working, I'll basically have a mobile C64 with a 10" razor sharp screen. I love me some CRT artifacts and I love my 1702 monitors, but this is cool.

That said, I've got all of his emulators except the 2600 one and the MSX one, and they're amazing. The Neo Geo one requires the MAME set [which I apparently didn't have], but once it's working it's... oh god, so good. Scanlines on, output to my LCD TV via HDMI with a DS3 linked up? Hell yes.

Also, his Snes9x port is back on the market, and it's been my emulator of choice for ages. So good.

I also love his emulators because you can turn off filters and have nice sharp pixels - I don't think any of the other snes emulators can do that.

e. Actually I don't have his GBA emulator yet, either. I should get on that. My GS3 makes for a great Game Boy with GBC.emu, I bet it'd make a fantastic GBA too. :v:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Those of you thinking about placing a Rakuten order may want to wait a couple of weeks:

Rakuten 50% off shipping (Up to 5000 yen) for select stores.

Goon favorite surugaya-a-too is not in the list of participating stores, but there will be a new selection of stores starting 4/25 to 5/9 and Surugaya might be in there. Just a heads up

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I don't think he had a MSX.emu last time I checked either. Two emulators for my phone!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

rdbbb posted:

Does that mean I can keep pimping it in this thread and not get in trouble?! Great let me start right now by telling you about th--*gunfire*

Any excuse will do for you to write more about Boku no Natsuyasumi, huh? Well I'm in.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Uhhhh holy poo poo, I did not know this before, but there is a port of UN Squadron for the C64. :stare:

It seems to not be playing nice with C64.emu when I actually pick a pilot, but... this is interesting. I only knew about the SNES and arcade versions, I had no idea there was one for the C64.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Code Jockey posted:

Uhhhh holy poo poo, I did not know this before, but there is a port of UN Squadron for the C64. :stare:

It seems to not be playing nice with C64.emu when I actually pick a pilot, but... this is interesting. I only knew about the SNES and arcade versions, I had no idea there was one for the C64.

Hahaha, you can barely see Shin's face, it's all covered by his hair.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I might as well point out, since no one has yet, that someone has admitted to buying one of those grab bags we talked about earlier and started a thread about it. So is it crap or quality? It's a lot of crap.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

Not that many really were subject to the compression stuff - Skies of Arcadia, PSOv2 and I think there were like 2 others.

You can always tell because it starts with an echelon intro on the game

For the majority of Dreamcast games you lose nothing on a CD-R but there are games with huge dips in Audio or FMV quality.

This is really common with Xtreme sports games. The Tony Hawks, Matt Hoffman etc all pad out the rest of the disc space with music. My burnt Matt Hoffman only has a few songs. Sonic Adventure fits with a bunch of Audio converted to low quality mono. Shenmue 1 or 2 fits with audio both decreased in quality and a lot of it removed.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

rdbbb posted:

I don't see why not. Unless you want to talk about wires, and black lines and more bleepy bloopy poo poo! For the bajillionith post.

It's part of the hobby and someone's passion project. If we can't support this I dunno what we can.

absolutely anything posted:

I ended up reading all of the free issue that's on the site and it was good and cool so I will be backing this thing and maybe probably most likely buying the rest of them when I get money. Thank you for alerting me to it! I miss magazines.

Me too. I really wish Retro Gamer was viable in Canada. The postage costs more than the media.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
You can get 99-minute CD-Rs and burn them with the extra big isos now for dreamcast games, so you dont always have to use a compressed version made to fit a 80 minute cd-r.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Will those fit the GD-Rom images? I NEED to see the sunrise in Shenmue, and need a Japanese copy for it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
That would be complicated. First you would need the originals to re-rip and then the sega tools to reorder the files to match the order on the gdrom. Otherwise using isos the cdrs are useless.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Going to disassemble one of the NES controllers I got today and see if I can scrape together enough parts to fill up that Joycard shell. I have the board so the only trouble will be finding enough pads in decent shape.

Edit: Well crap. It turns out that the reason the thing was in pieces is that the sound cable's been cut. Pretty much just a thicker than usual turbo controller now.

And because I keep forgetting, let me tack on Low G Man as a neglected NES game. Decent graphics, kickin soundtrack and bosses that take up multiple screens. it differs from a lot of typical action side scrollers in that your gun doesn't kill anything. Instead, it stuns enemies who you must then climb on and stab with a spear. But wait! A stunned enemy only leaves a power up 1/10 times. You greatly increase your chances of getting items by attacking things without stunning things, which can be tricky. Some enemies leave special weapons when killed, and you can even climb onto certain enemies and kill them and take their vehicles. There's a lot going on for an NES game. Put in the password "lobb" to start the game with more lives... if you're a wuss.

I got a brand new copy of this for my birthday ages ago and I still kick it around every so often. Have yet to get past the 3rd level in hard mode but it'll happen one day.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 12, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

If you're patient enough and in a populated enough area you shouldn't have to pay anything; you are paying by hauling away a back-destroying monstrosity for them.

If you see something specific you want then get it but you see free TVs like this all the time.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/zip/3738108167.html
36" Trinitron Wega XBR, even does the 1080i. A little big tbh

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

36" Trinitron Wega XBR

Weight: 227.5 lb.

iastudent posted:

:stare: I need pics of PDS RGB in action.

I only had a few minutes so couldn't really get anything interesting, but this is how PDS looks in RGB (click for 1024x768):

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

fatpat, got your XRGB Mini translated control overlay, they both look nice! Thanks again! :hfive:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 12, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Argh. So that Genesis I found at the Goodwill computer shop? I took it by my local retro gaming shop to have it tested (their suggestion) as I was grabbing a/v and power cables for it. Worked great. Took it home, stuck in the cables...nothing. Tried to see how the a/v cable was seated and I think the jack has come loose from the board. No matter which way it wiggles, it doesn't seem to make contact.

I imagine this is the part where I pop open the case and borrow a soldering iron?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Allen Wren posted:

Argh. So that Genesis I found at the Goodwill computer shop? I took it by my local retro gaming shop to have it tested (their suggestion) as I was grabbing a/v and power cables for it. Worked great. Took it home, stuck in the cables...nothing. Tried to see how the a/v cable was seated and I think the jack has come loose from the board. No matter which way it wiggles, it doesn't seem to make contact.

I imagine this is the part where I pop open the case and borrow a soldering iron?

I would have opened it up anyway to clean all the funk out. Sounds like an easy enough solder job but I'm no expert.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Allen Wren posted:

Sounds like you have an excuse to try out a mod while you've already got the tools handy...

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Everyone support Scroll. I bought issue 1 on day one and still read it. It's wonderful. Also No More Whoppers.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Sounds like you have an excuse to try out a mod while you've already got the tools handy...

Except I don't. I'll have to borrow a soldering iron. And some workspace. And...I dunno. What else do I need? Also I have no idea what sort of mod I can do to that particular console. It's the large-board Genesis 2 which the OP says is bad, but the follow-up post says it might be good if it has the right circuit traces? (This one seems to match the 2.3, but looking at that audio mod just makes my brain shut down, I don't know what any of those instructions mean other than "connect bits to the board in different places.")

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For those of you who were talking about Castle of Illusion a few pages back - Sega uploaded this video today, and while it doesn't explicitly mention Castle of Illusion the teaser seems pretty straightforward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDm48hbH0E

I guess it's gonna be a remake after all, and not an emulation? I wonder who's making it... hopefully not the dudes who did Power of Illusion for 3DS, ugh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ladies and gentlemen. The Power Mitt.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
My delivery woes may be over, the house in front of us (We live in a lot) got a package and they think it was mine, they gotta wait until someone comes home because he put it somewhere, but my package might be coming tonight. :neckbeard:

In related news, this means my Power Pad/Family Trainer collection will be complete (all 10 games!) Along with Armadillo, a Battle box (Save game device that works with Armadillo) and the game that became Yo! Noid will be in my posession!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ladies and gentlemen. The Power Mitt.

Pick any recipe you want. I got 'em all. I've got 97 of them.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

fatpat, got your XRGB Mini translated control overlay, they both look nice! Thanks again! :hfive:

Awesome. Also for anyone else interested, I can make more easily, just let me know if you want one. I can even do different color combos, if desired.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Someone found a prototype of Superman 64. There's no flying through the rings BS as far as I saw. 9:36 in the video he fights a rhino, terribly.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/early-development-prototype-of-notorious-superman-64-leaked-online.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

fatpat268 posted:

Awesome. Also for anyone else interested, I can make more easily, just let me know if you want one. I can even do different color combos, if desired.

I posted the pic in the XRGB Mini thread in shmups.system11.org and a couple people are interested in getting their hands on one. :haw:

• Locked thread