Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

Rather than fitting a full DSLR, how about micro 4/3 format like Panasonic G-series etc.?

Something like the panasonic GH2 or the sony NEX-7 would be light weight but still give phenomenal footage. Mirrorless dslr's definitely the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Camera antishake (at least the ones I've used) is for very low-frequency stuff - like how your arms move when you hold a camera. If you put a high-frequency buzz like an engine vibration through it, it won't do squat, and the amplitude of any bumps in the road will overwhelm it.

I personally would stick to something GoPro / Countour-ish simply because they might hold up better if you crash / camera falls off, while a DSLR and lens are going to explode into a million useless pieces. I'm not seeing artsy DOF doing you much good in these applications anyway.

You're going to get a lot more vibration from a bike than a plush BMW, but you can't argue with the video quality you get from a DSLR.

[video type=""]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFSIPxWf4Gw[/video]

That's with just a (good) suction cup mount, and some of those roads are very rough. Though if you were doing some Serious Filming on a bike, you might just be better served fitting a damped board on the tank and using a suction mount on that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm not saying you don't get good video quality, that's going to be outstanding. I'm saying doing it for the anti-shake probably isn't worth it. The 7D doesn't have sensor anti-shake and the Sigma 8-16 doesn't have in-lens, so that video doesn't show anti-shake's ability or otherwise to cope. It does show that it hides it well by using a really wide-angle lens. Me personally I wouldn't hang 2 grand of camera + lens off the front of my car or the back of my bike unless someone else was paying for it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

ReelBigLizard posted:

Totally. The vibration issue has been looming big in my mind and I've got some ideas to deal with it but I don't want to flesh them out until I've got something together that I can strap to the KTM to gauge how big an issue it will be. The first idea is to use a cantilevered mounting platform to shift the mounting point under the center of gravity. Building some flex into this should reduce it significantly, if not I've got various other avenues to explore. The mass of the bigger cameras may actually help here.

A few years back, my friend and I were trying to get into remote control arial videography via helicopter, on a shoestring budget. I ended up fabricating several different underslung mounts for small point-n-shoot cameras. Isolating the camera from high-freq engine (or in our case, rotor) vibration is a bitch. The best combination I was able to come up with was suspending the camera on very fine springs wrapped in surgical tubing. Even with that, our video was marginal - until I found some magical freeware software that miraculously straightened out the footage. I cannot remember the name offhand, but I'll ask my friend. I'm sure you could also find it googling RC video software.

Of course, we were using lovely little $100 point-n-shoots with no real IS to speak of (this was just before GoPro went big) - which was a good thing, because HeliCam Mk.1 met it's end spectacularly at full dive into the roof of my house (the memory chip survived and the video was pretty funny). HeliCam Mk. II (as pictured) fared better and was actually used in a short (paying!) project. We were both stoked; sadly he got married and had two children thus ending my dreams of becoming the Kubrick of the Air. We still lament about it some nights after his little tyrants have gone to bed.

My point is, software stabilization in post will work miracles, so don't immediately rule out any blurry footage.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XacjXb3KZx4

Keep an eye on the top of the screen at 46 seconds.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not saying you don't get good video quality, that's going to be outstanding. I'm saying doing it for the anti-shake probably isn't worth it. The 7D doesn't have sensor anti-shake and the Sigma 8-16 doesn't have in-lens, so that video doesn't show anti-shake's ability or otherwise to cope. It does show that it hides it well by using a really wide-angle lens. Me personally I wouldn't hang 2 grand of camera + lens off the front of my car or the back of my bike unless someone else was paying for it.

That's what I get for assuming!
Me personally I can't afford 2 grand of camera and lens, let alone a new 335i. I'd happily hang a friend's off either though!
When we were going down to lemans last year, we stopped at a service station and my mate wanted to try his GoPro on my bike. He was convinced the suction mount would work, and demonstrated it's effectiveness by attaching it and smacking it around and pulling on it. Sure enough it stayed firm, for about 2 minutes. Then as we're getting ready to set out... Clunk. It just fell off. We ended up using a standard handlebar mount instead.
I'm going to have to ask if he ever ended up getting any decent footage off it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What about knocking the guy in the face after as he get's away?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't know about where you are but here all the pro/semi-pro A/V guys I know just buy a camera insurance policy. 7D takes a tumble? no problem, like-for-like replacement! Same day!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Linedance posted:

Rather than fitting a full DSLR, how about micro 4/3 format like Panasonic G-series etc.? The benefit with using cameras with interchangeable lenses is some of the vibration can be accounted for by the active anti-shake built into the lens. I also seem to recall watching a video demonstrating the use of an anti - vibe mat/pad to cut a lot of vibration in a camera mount, but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

I'm not going to fit a DSLR to it unless someone is fool enough to lend me one. I'm building this for the GoPro and other small point and shoots. The point is to design it to take something as big as a DSLR as an upper limit, cause if you can do that, two GoPros on a 3D mount is a loving doddle :)

If something is worth building, it's worth over building.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Amen.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

A few years back, my friend and I were trying to get into remote control arial videography via helicopter, on a shoestring budget. I ended up fabricating several different underslung mounts for small point-n-shoot cameras. Isolating the camera from high-freq engine (or in our case, rotor) vibration is a bitch. The best combination I was able to come up with was suspending the camera on very fine springs wrapped in surgical tubing. Even with that, our video was marginal - until I found some magical freeware software that miraculously straightened out the footage. I cannot remember the name offhand, but I'll ask my friend. I'm sure you could also find it googling RC video software.

Of course, we were using lovely little $100 point-n-shoots with no real IS to speak of (this was just before GoPro went big) - which was a good thing, because HeliCam Mk.1 met it's end spectacularly at full dive into the roof of my house (the memory chip survived and the video was pretty funny). HeliCam Mk. II (as pictured) fared better and was actually used in a short (paying!) project. We were both stoked; sadly he got married and had two children thus ending my dreams of becoming the Kubrick of the Air. We still lament about it some nights after his little tyrants have gone to bed.

My point is, software stabilization in post will work miracles, so don't immediately rule out any blurry footage.

It's a shame your friend isn't into it any more -- it seems like the perfect application for a mid-range quadrotor.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Can you post the crash video? Kinda want to see that.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Totally agree, but unfortunately it seems 99% of the world's consumers and manufacturers don't. :(

I'm willing to pay for quality materials and good engineering, but seems that most people aren't.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

It's a shame your friend isn't into it any more -- it seems like the perfect application for a mid-range quadrotor.

Yeah, that's the thing - a lot of people are doing it now, and doing it very well. Once things like quadrotors became easily available it became more commonplace. Flying a RC heli is seriously difficult, these newer spaceship things are much easier :) Plus, if you're going to do it ~~professionally~~ there are some real permits and insurance and stuff you have to jump through - neither of us have the time anymore...

front wing flexing posted:

Can you post the crash video? Kinda want to see that.

I'll try and dig it up :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Here's the thing. The nice thing about the Contour is it's a nice round shape and you can spin it around its axis fairly easily. The GoPro is a clunkier box but at least it's light. DSLRs can be heavy and good glass is heavier still. If we look at these designs:

ReelBigLizard posted:

Progress. I dont have anything to clamp these parts so I'll have to epoxy them tomorrow when I can steal some bulldog clips from the work stationary cupboard.

Too big. This is a chunky lump of an ancient D70, it doesn't even do video, I just fitted it up to see. A lightweight entry level DSLR should be no problem at all as long as it doesn't have too much glass hanging off it. That said, I have an idea for an adjustable two bearing lens-steady that could support even heavy DSLRs, working a lot like a travelling steady for on a lathe.

We see the weight of the camera acting perpendicular to the plane of rotation, which is just going to torque up everything, cause drag and stiction and wear. Because the camera mount is far from the center of gravity, vibration is going to be amplified and translated into an arc, very distracting.

What I would with the GoPro is take the square shape and slap arc segments on the sides so that the outside shape becomes a circle. It's a bigger hassle than it should be because the lens isn't centered in the case. I would then use a mounting ring to hold the gopro around the circumference of that circle. You can use grooves / bearings / slick surfaces etc to support it. The actual gyro rotation can be performed by a servo / geartrain acting on the axis itself (just like in that first pic) but now it's not supporting the (admittedly not much) weight of the GoPro and can be much more nimble. Having the support and gyro rotation functions separate might also make it easier to adapt a single gyro kit to multiple camera form factors.

With a DSLR perhaps your best bet for support is a tripod collar that mounts near the camera's lengthwise center of gravity, but the wide-angle lenses you'd probably want to use generally aren't made for these. Of course you could always just clamp onto the lens body somehow but that's not really elegant. I imagine there's some sort of pre-existing gidget that would do the trick. I wouldn't try to support the weight by the body and body sizes are too irregular anyway. On the other hand if you can get the camera supported near its center of gravity and spinning freely your gyro rotor could just sit behind it and have some sort of adjustable-finger rotor job for any camera type.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
So would the motor handle the weight of the camera like that very well? wouldn't it be better if the load was on an axle instead with a gear printed on the back of that plate for the motor to drive?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Snowdens Secret posted:

We see the weight of the camera acting perpendicular to the plane of rotation, which is just going to torque up everything, cause drag and stiction and wear. Because the camera mount is far from the center of gravity, vibration is going to be amplified and translated into an arc, very distracting.

I was concerned about this, so fitted it up with the D70 last night and in actuality there is poo poo-all drag/stiction. Stepper motors typically run ball bearings on the front and back because they are designed for high axial loads tensioned pulleys and the like. Wear might become a problem, but as an industry standard, practically modular part NEMA 17 stepper motors are readily available and thanks to the Reprap project, cheap as chips. My D70, for reference, is about half again as heavy as the current crop of entry level DSLRs with far more weight hanging off-axis.

The 3-axis sensor is on it's way, might be here today. I printed a motor mount last night and wired up the stepper motor to a spare Pololu. Then I accidentally shorted a circuit plugging a jumper into the wrong spot because I was tired. Scratch one stepper driver and one Arduino UNO :suicide: Ordered a beefy H-bridge chip to replace the stepper and a new 328P to replace the IC on the Arduino. Also added an Arduino Pro Mini to the order for the first prototype assembly.

quote:

What I would with the GoPro is take the square shape and slap arc segments on the sides so that the outside shape becomes a circle.

You know, this was pretty much the first thing I thought of but I wanted the lens on the axis of rotation and that would mean a big circle (100mm at a rough estimate). If you can design something credible I'd be up for having a go at printing it.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Police bike pursuit, with music selection (full length GoPro)

Jaz fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 11, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

From here - http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110552

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Bridgestone posted:

This is normal and not covered under warranty because the 6 month old touring purposed tires have been exposed to below freezing conditions.

Well that's the last Bridgestone tire I put on anything ever. Cracking that bad could be a defect and no reason to rule out a whole brand for all makes and models of tire, but that response... wow.

Have a Griso:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
People use BT45s on anything other than little learner bikes? I used them on my ZZR250 and that was mainly because they were cheap.

Apparently it's a rear tire mounted to the front, possibly in reverse. meant for smaller bikes than the ST1300.
That seems about as smart to me as the yokels who fit car tyres to their bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Michelin supremacy

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

theperminator posted:

People use BT45s on anything other than little learner bikes? I used them on my ZZR250 and that was mainly because they were cheap.

Apparently it's a rear tire mounted to the front, possibly in reverse. meant for smaller bikes than the ST1300.
That seems about as smart to me as the yokels who fit car tyres to their bike.

That is often done by the same yokels. Using the car tire on the rear is referred to as darkside tires. Going double dark is mounting a car tire on the rear and a rear MC tire to the front.

As dumb as all that is - it doesn't explain that sort of cracking.

:edit:
Video of darkside tire on a ZX-14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Michelin supremacy

Just go to a different forum. Some of the ones I read have people swearing off Michelins because of the tread de-laminating.

In those stories and the bt45 one above I think there is more to the story. These guys in these stories always get emails from the manufacturer but can never take a screenshot of the things.

I wouldn't swear off any tire cause of one forum post, especially if you don't know the user's history.

edit: Oh he was running a rear on the front? I'd start there.

edit2: If you want to swear off Michelins forever http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/main-lobby-new-member-section/43362-beware-michelin-2cts.html

There was also an even sketchier story where a guy crashed and had a pic of his wrecked bike and a SUV, but I can't find it.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 11, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That thread is disturbing. Tires not meant to be exposed to freezing temperatures? Could that seriously be a thing, or is that just an idiotic customer service guy making stuff up? Sure, not everyone rides in the winter, but almost everyone who doesn't stores their bike in an unheated garage over the winter. Not to mention that the tires undoubtedly sit in unheated warehouses and on cold trucks...

And the part a few pages down where he says he posted the photos to the Bridgestone FB page with the Bridgestone rep's comments, and they reported his account for spam...wow. How lovely is that. Bad customer service.

I'm not convinced that Bridgestone is evil yet (as nsap says, seems like running your tires backwards wouldn't be very good for them...) but it has made me reconsider whether I should get Spitfires or Roadriders for my other set of wheels.

e: some guy in the thread says "the DRZ folks call the Trail Wings "deathwings"." What's that about? Mine seem to work fine.

e2: read the whole thread, here's a response from a different Bridgestone rep

quote:

I wasn't aware of this, we only deal with race product so this must have been going through someone at corporate. From what I read though it sounds like it wasn't warranted because of the how it was used. A rear tire flipped the wrong direction and used on the front of a bike that is really heavy and exceeds the rating of the tire. Tires can "cold crack" if they are below freezing and suffer some kind of impact. I have seen that with our race product but they have to have some kind of impact while they are below freezing they don't just sit there and crack. So I am not sure we are hearing the whole story maybe the guy is just upset how it was handled I am not sure. I don't think this is something to worry about, as I have never seen a tire just sit there and crack.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 11, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nsaP posted:

There was also an even sketchier story where a guy crashed and had a pic of his wrecked bike and a SUV, but I can't find it.

You talking about the one where the guy went through the rear windshield? "That's me with my legs sticking out!"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

nsaP posted:

edit2: If you want to swear off Michelins forever http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/main-lobby-new-member-section/43362-beware-michelin-2cts.html

As someone who's about to slap a set of PR3s on his own ride, I'd like to point out that this guy and his horror show are the only publicly documented case of this happening. I forget the details of the SUV dude but his story / pics were real suspicious (I forget why).

Meanwhile it's perfectly reasonable to hate Bridgestone for bribing Dorna into making them the MotoGP spec tire.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Snowdens Secret posted:

As someone who's about to slap a set of PR3s on his own ride, I'd like to point out that this guy and his horror show are the only publicly documented case of this happening.

As someone who HAS a set of pr3's on his ride I hope you're right. Maybe I can blame the tires on the crash I had last week...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bridgestone and Dunlop can both suck it. I've never had anything but bad experiences with them.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Have we covered every primary manufacturer yet? Here's a news flash people, customer service is iffy at best, there's too many variables and you'll always find someone with a big mouth that wants to tell everyone how lovely an experience they had. (Can you tell I worked customer service in the past yet?)

I've like my Battleaxes on my VFR so far, only had chances to canyon carve 2 times unfortunately, but both times I was scraping pegs. The pegs are set so low though I'd have to hold my feet up and let them fold all the way in to hit the absolute tire edge, hah! They've also resisted squaring off pretty well too over the year I've had them mounted while commuting.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

KX500 and the desert 100

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 12, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bridgestone and Dunlop can both suck it. I've never had anything but bad experiences with them.
We don't see a lot of Bridgestones, but Dunlop is the only brand we've seen at the shop with multiple problems that were not obviously owner error.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus that thread. :psypop:

I feel for the guy but I seriously doubt it was spontaneous. I'd put money that he ran over a nail or something, lost a poo poo ton of pressure and the failure took away the evidence. I think that's far more likely than it just up and melted out of the blue for no reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is cool -- a bike cop chasing down a speeding car, filmed from the bike cop's POV. You don't see that side very often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23i-BvSZqzU

VVV oh you know what I meant. You don't get to see (gopro videos from motorcycle cops) as often as you get to see (gopro videos of motorcyclists getting arrested or running from the police). He seems like a pretty good rider, and safe too. Lots of blind spot checks.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 12, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

This is cool -- a bike cop chasing down a speeding car, filmed from the bike cop's POV. You don't see that side very often.

Ooooh, can they make a TV show purely from this perspective? :allears:

kloa fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 12, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23i-BvSZqzU

VVV oh you know what I meant. You don't get to see (gopro videos from motorcycle cops) very often.

This is very cool. What sort of bike is that? The visor appears to lift up with speed which is a pretty nifty feature. Also bare forearms :(

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
That we be so much fun, until the stop when they could come out guns blazing and you having very little cover.

Also how did he stall the bike at 3:40ish?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Looked like killed the bike with the key. Wonder why he didn't use the killswitch.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was thinking more along the lines of: how is a bike supposed to 'stop' a car? What stops the guy from just ramming the cop and laughing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^^^ I think that's why he hangs back so far through most of the video. Looks like he could easily catch up, given the performance when he gets on the freeway, but it wouldn't be safe.

z3n: Might be police procedure, so that after he leaves the bike in the road and runs a quarter mile to catch the guy, no random passerby can just hop on and take it for a joyride.