Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I think Hiroshima is worth a visit, mainly for Itskushima Shrine on Miyajima.

I definitely recommend looking at hostels over hotels in Japan. They are much cheaper, and many of them have private rooms with a bathroom. Also, they tend to have English speaking staff.

If you do come to Nagoya, you and your friend are welcome to stay at my place if you'd like. Send me an email to my username at gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Kosh Naranek posted:

One thing that would be awesome, is to see a sumo wrestling match.

We went to a day of the January tournament in Tokyo. Even though I don't know a thing about sumo, it was awesome. We went by the stadium early to pick up general admission tickets for about 2,000 yen then hung around for a few hours before going in since once you're in the stadium we couldn't leave and come back. We went into the arena a little early and ended up watching a couple of hours of the lower ranked matches which got kind of boring after a while. The big guys don't start until later in the day. Unless you're really into sumo, I wouldn't plan on going in til later in the afternoon to catch some of the ceremonies and upper ranked bouts where the crowd really starts getting into it.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.
Thanks everyone for the replies, gave us a lot of new places to watch and things to do. Time to sit down and go through everything and see how much we can manage to do in 7 days.

23 Flavors
Sep 13, 2011

what a talentless looking goon

For anyone who lives in Japan, what are your thoughts on the recently announced $1.4 trillion worth of quantitative easing? Is the economy really doing that poorly over there?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I don't pretend to be an expert in monetary policy, but that's like a third of the GDP, which makes it look kind of silly to begin with.

Also you probably want the thread in LAN - this is generally the tourism thread now.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.
Ok, after trying to locate a nice Onsen for our trip I noticed something. Is having a small tattoo on my shoulder (I was 19 and tribal is so cool) going to cause me a problem with being able to actually go to an Onsen?

We are looking at Korakukan Jigokudani , even though from what I can see there aren't that much monkey business going on during the summer months.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I highly recommend Kusatsu myself. Get a cheap hotel room and enjoy the dozens of free bathhouses around the town. Go climb Shirane if you want.

If your tattoo is small, just slap a bandage over it.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

tarepanda posted:

I highly recommend Kusatsu myself. Get a cheap hotel room and enjoy the dozens of free bathhouses around the town. Go climb Shirane if you want.

If your tattoo is small, just slap a bandage over it.

It's about 5 by 1 inches. It has a Yin & Yang in it, that got to make it ok, right?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Kosh Naranek posted:

It's about 5 by 1 inches. It has a Yin & Yang in it, that got to make it ok, right?

Nope. Slap a bandage over it.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Nope. Slap a bandage over it.

Yeah I was joking, bandage it is then. Also thanks for the other suggestion, will check it out as well before we decide on where to go.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

Kosh Naranek posted:

Thanks everyone for the replies, gave us a lot of new places to watch and things to do. Time to sit down and go through everything and see how much we can manage to do in 7 days.

A little late, but you could also hit up Matsuyama, especially off of Okayama, it has a pretty interesting castle, and a really nice spa neighborhood in Dogo. Id recommend taking the shinkansen back(from Okayama), it isn't cheap but it is a pretty pleasant experience and you can get back with minimal time loss.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

uinfuirudo posted:

A little late, but you could also hit up Matsuyama, especially off of Okayama, it has a pretty interesting castle, and a really nice spa neighborhood in Dogo. Id recommend taking the shinkansen back(from Okayama), it isn't cheap but it is a pretty pleasant experience and you can get back with minimal time loss.

Nothing is too late, we're not going until July so I'll be looking at this thread regularly to see if there are some more idea for us to consider. But we're going to try and plan the trip pretty well, so that we don't just wander too much around given our limited time.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
Id say ignore me then, I think it takes about 6 hours to get from Matsuyama to Kyoto 4 of which is on a slower local train in shikoku. Matsuyama isn't nearly as pretty as anything in Kansai, its definitely got a small city vibe to it. The plus side is that it has a pretty cool castle(take the chairlift, its a long walk up), Dogo, and you can leave after about a day without feeling like you've missed anything.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
My brother is a huge gently caress-up, who I thought was in Indonesia teaching English. I've now heard he's left that job and is in Japan "trying to find work". He has ~6 months experience teaching ESL in China. He's e-mailed me that he can't find a job because he can't afford the "upfront" money being asked for by employers. Is that common and not a huge red flag in Japan? Is the market for english teachers really bad right now?

He's asked my advice about whether it might be better to try Australia or New Zealand instead. I have not done a lot of travelling and have no idea. He doesn't speak Japanese. What do you guys think?

[edit]I have no idea if he has a visa of any kind. He's from the UK and the OP informs me that grants him 90 days entry but does not allow him to work. I'll keep the E/N to a minimum but like I said, he's a huge gently caress-up. I'm only going off the information from one e-mail. He has no access to a credit card because "he left it at home". Seems like he has some money but only a few hundred pounds max. No friends in Japan to stay with as far as I'm aware. Do any of you know of any route he can take to get a job that will pay him enough to live on, that he can get without weeks of delay? As I type it's becoming increasingly obvious that he's hosed and has to come home asap.

[edit2]Ah excuse me I didn't see there was a JET thread, this might be better there. Although any advice you guys can give me would be great because my brother has gone to Japan with no job, no language skills, nowhere to stay and not much money and is now asking me for help because golly gee would you believe it he's run into some problems.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 12, 2013

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If you ever have to pay to start a job, it is a scam. I think that's just one of those universal truths.

You'd have to be a certain kind of special to be unable to find an English teaching job if you're already in the country.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
UK can get a working holiday but I don't know if you can do that in country. He sounds like a gently caress up.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I'm sure there are a lot of variances on wedding ceremonies throughout Japan, but is the bride often expected to say anything other than "Hai, chikaimasu"? A friend and I just landed gigs as models for practice wedding ceremonies, but my blushing bride really doesn't know how to say anything other than "wakarimasen." I want to make a list of key words for her to practice, so any help is appreciated.

Edit: Suppose I should mention that this is at a Western-style wedding chapel.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 12, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Do you guys even have to say anything? When my friends landed those jobs (drat whities!!) and got that cushy racial pay (drat whities!!), all they really did was stand around for atmosphere or sometimes pose for pictures for ad copy or something.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I think we're definitely going to have to say something, since these practice wedding ceremonies are demonstrations for potential customers. We're going to have to more or less go through the motions just as a real couple would.

And the pay isn't that cushy, but then again we get to attend four mock wedding receptions every day so I plan on making up the difference in champagne and hors d'ouevres.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

I was offered a job as a fake priest ( a catholic priest in his early 20's, ha), but decided to back put since there would be a "service" every morning during the weekend for 1.5 man a pop. But having attended catholic schools up till university, it didn't really sit right with even though I'm not religious.

It was funny though, they had me have a talk with a real Japanese catholic priest to confirm I was actually into the whole thing. I guess since Kyushu has a relatively large amount of christians, there are a few who actually go through the ceremony for religious purposes? (though why hire a white fake priest, idfk)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
What's the point of a fake priest if there are real priests around? :confused:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bloodnose posted:

Atmosphere. Same as the chapel and white dress. You want a white priest and white people mingling. That's why so many wedding chapels advertise with a weird British theme or something and their billboards always have white people.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I should start a white service, dispatching white people nationwide. Wedding ceremonies, new store openings, city promotion events, trade shows, conferences, product launches, whatever. Let's white this poo poo up.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pretty sure the wedding hall will coach you on what they want you to do!
I have a friend who does weddings on the weekend, they want a white face but he still has to say everything in Japanese :lol: what's the point if you don't get to say "I do" or "I will" like William and Kate?

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Bloodnose posted:

"How can it be a Western style wedding when Father Tanaka is presiding?? That wasn't what happened in (popular soap)! They had a white priest!"

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Can I get an entertainment visa to work in Japan as a 'token white guy'/'fake priest'?

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Bloodnose posted:

Can I get an entertainment visa to work in Japan as a 'token white guy'/'fake priest'?

I don't know what the visa requirements are, but given that the areas that would have a big demand for token white guys probably already have enough white dudes moonlighting as token white guys ( :v: ), I'm guessing it's unlikely you'd be able to get a visa for that.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Japan Megathread V: oh to be white

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Bloodnose posted:

The priest at my wedding may have been fake, he didn't stink of whiskey and his hands were shaking during the whole ceremony, he also didn't try to molest any small boys while we were there, so can't have been a real catholic priest.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How about funerals? Is it mostly just a Shinto Buddhist service? Have any goons here been to a Japanese Christian funeral service?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

peanut posted:

Pretty sure the wedding hall will coach you on what they want you to do!

Yeah, I'm just trying to give her a head start. Her pronunciation often wanders off into hack-comic-imitating-an-American territory.

Just trust me when I say that every minute counts. There's some real Pygmalion poo poo at play here.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
I actually know some people looking for whiteys to act as priests, you must love ranch dressing and be a practicing Christian. So you if any of you, oh who am I kidding.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

On a somewhat related note:

quote:

The reason I am mailing is to see if you would be interested in being our model for some YouTube videos that we are planning to produce for the school. It would be once a week for a couple of hours (time and dates are still to be decided) and would be a series if short skits focusing in some interesting English language points like natural expressions and idioms. At the moment, the details, content and payment are still to be decided and to be hammered out depending on you.

My friend and I were photographed for the school's website as 'respectable and diverse foreigners', so I guess they just want the video series to match the main site.

Any idea what a reasonable asking price is for something like this might be?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

As of April 19, you won't be able to use Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus cards at 7/11 ATMs. Adds a bit more hassle to my upcoming trip.

http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/support/info2013040501.html

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
oh goddammit really

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Cheap Trick posted:

As of April 19, you won't be able to use Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus cards at 7/11 ATMs. Adds a bit more hassle to my upcoming trip.

http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/support/info2013040501.html

It was that way before, then for a while it changed for some reason, now they're going back to being unusable. I wonder what the hell is going on between Mastercard and 7/11.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tarepanda posted:

White and blonde. Then you're the holy grail.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
brb, dying my hair blonde to rake in the Bitcoins yen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
My school career-center used me as a model for their magazine that they gave to all the ichinensei. Yay white people.

Edit: I got a 500 yen library card for it :smugdog:

• Locked thread