Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

PBJ posted:

My family has had our dog for about 13 years now, and no one can exactly remember what kind of breed he is. We think he might be golden/collie, but we're not exactly sure. Anyone here want to take a shot?

Golden Newfie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Tiny Faye posted:

Golden Newfie?

My heart - and allergies - exploded reading this post.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
A great pyrenees with something smaller (any other dog)? I don't see anything that looks like a collie there, but maybe it's just missing in that photo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Can you help ID my sister's dog?

She's small, with a long body and snout like a JRT, but she's way smaller. She's a good jumper, can walk upright and stand like a prariedog for ages. She loves climbing and playfighting with larger dogs. She's a habitual spinner, always clockwise. She doesn't bark much, but does these strange, growly mumbling vocalizations. She is a fiend for attention and will always beg for pets from new people. She's the first dog I've ever seen who actually wants to wear those stupid dog sweaters and will beg and carry them to people until someone puts it on her. She has no prey drive, and she isn't praise or food motivated. She actually acts very catlike. she has a nasty habit of trying to lick the inside of your mouth. I would be shocked if she didn't have JRT in her, but I'm at a loss as to what else.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I could see JRT and Chihuahua. That last picture looked very Brittany Spaniel-esque, but it's probably pretty unlikely.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

JRTs do range pretty massively in size, but there does look a touch of chihuahua in there. JRT/Chi is a common combination and throws a lot of different looking dogs.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Can you help ID my sister's dog?

She's small, with a long body and snout like a JRT, but she's way smaller. She's a good jumper, can walk upright and stand like a prariedog for ages. She loves climbing and playfighting with larger dogs. She's a habitual spinner, always clockwise. She doesn't bark much, but does these strange, growly mumbling vocalizations. She is a fiend for attention and will always beg for pets from new people. She's the first dog I've ever seen who actually wants to wear those stupid dog sweaters and will beg and carry them to people until someone puts it on her. She has no prey drive, and she isn't praise or food motivated. She actually acts very catlike. she has a nasty habit of trying to lick the inside of your mouth. I would be shocked if she didn't have JRT in her, but I'm at a loss as to what else.

If you're around Appalachia, I might think feist.

E: I keep seeing chi x beagle as well for some reason.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 16, 2013

Chezlin
Jun 2, 2005
Mista' Ewok.
Here's Hobbes right after I took him home:

The shelter had him listed as a lab mix. He's 9 weeks old and weighed in at 16 pounds when I took him to the vet earlier this week.

My immediate guess was that he had some boxer mixed in but other people have guessed pit, catahoula and GSD. My fiance found a picture of a mastiff that looked almost exactly like Hobbes, but I think his ears and paws are too small for that.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Catahoulas, Labs, and GSDs don't carry brindle coats so he can't be a GSD/Lab or a Cata/Lab mix. I'd guess he's some sort of pit or boxer mix.

joyfulgirl129 posted:

Any guesses on the foster dog? The rescue listed as "German Shephard Mix" and our groomer, who has 3 purebred GSDs, took a look at her and said "Rottweiler". Her toes aren't webbed and at about 10-12 weeks, she is five pounds.

Her littermate looked more like a lab/staff/something mix. She's the one with the weary expression, was all black with a little white on chest.

I have no idea because she is just so tiny.

It's hard to tell with puppies but I seriously doubt there's any GSD in those pups. Aside from the black and tan coloring they don't really look like GSD pups.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Chezlen that snout is all boxer.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Triangulum posted:

Catahoulas, Labs, and GSDs don't carry brindle coats so he can't be a GSD/Lab or a Cata/Lab mix. I'd guess he's some sort of pit or boxer mix.

Not that I'm arguing that this particular puppy is a Lab mix, but mismarks do occur where brindle puppies have been produced from purebred Labs. Same with black and tan. It's rare to come from a Lab-Lab combination to be fair but you have to remember that the chances that a single Lab carries the mutation are greater than the chances that 2 Labs bred together both carry it, so it would be entirely plausible for the dog to be, say a Lab/boxer mix.

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

Here's my little mutt! She's ten years old and I've had her since she was a puppy. She's getting to where she wants to walk a lot but still has puppy days where she runs around like a spaz and is generally energetic for the most part between naps.

Here she is being majestic and cute! Usually her tail curls over her back and she doesn't shed! I think she's a poodle/maltese mix. Oh and she also has some cream spots on her back and ears but it's hard to see because they're so light.

With her summer haircut and a sock in her mouth and running too happily to get a good picture of:

lorabel fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 26, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Wanna see another adorable mutt?

She's some sort of Cocker mix[e: she's an English Cocker/American Eskimo, apparently] with a rad hairstyle.

With adorable fluffy feets.

a life less fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 2, 2013

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

a life less posted:

Wanna see another adorable mutt?

She's some sort of Cocker mix[e: she's an English Cocker/American Eskimo, apparently] with a rad hairstyle.

Her mohawk is the best!

We have a samoyed x golden retriever puppy at class at the moment. He is the best behaved puppy I've ever met. Basically looks like a cream-coloured samoyed with slightly shorter fur, and the typical big black-lipped golden smile.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
My parents decided that it was time for them to get a new pup. His name is Scully and he is a German shepherd/border collie cross. He is a farm dog.

Here he is with our 12-year-old mutt, Riker. Riker has been incredibly patient with the pup. Riker is also part GSD, but we have no clue what else is in him.

(Riker's eyes are cloudy because he has pannus. He is being treated.)

He is a very tough and scary dog.

I can't wait to see what he looks like as an adult.

Maris Stella
Dec 18, 2010
Here are my two mutts.

They were found on the side of the road when they were both about 3 months old. It can only be assumed that they are brother and sister. I was working with a dog organization at the time and was asked to foster these two puppies until they could get them in a more permanent home.

We were told that they are Great Pyrenees mixes. You can see it much more in the male (the white one). Since I didn't actually have a dog of my own at the time, we decided to keep one of them and was leaning towards the female. After not being able to decide, we just kept both of them which was the best decision ever made!! They are about 3 years old now.

Maris Stella fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 14, 2013

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Here's my ridiculous mutt Lucy. Likes include chewing everything all the time, fetch, sleeping, and following me room to room. She's mostly beagle, but I have no idea what other stuff she has in her. She's already 30 lbs at 6-8 months, so there must be a bigger something in there.

But holy poo poo, this dog can and will chew anything all the time. My petsmart visit for chew stuff was more expensive than my vet bill. She loves bully sticks, pig ears, and softer rawhide. Just got her an antler today and she doesn't seem very into it. So far, the damage from inappropriate chewing has been fairly low. I lost a pair of cheap gym headphones and now have some mysterious ground-level holes in some sheets, but otherwise she's been pretty good!

I want to rename her flopper because this is how she spends most of her non-chewing time.

This is how she spends chewing time.

This is how she spends her non-chewing, non-flopping time.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Scully has grown so much in less than a month (his 'new puppy' pics are a couple posts up.) Seems like he's slowly shedding the woolly coat he came with and has smooth hair on his face and legs. Half his head is still woolly, so he looks like he's wearing a parka hood.

He's also getting a faint, brown saddle on his back, and I think those ears are going to stick straight up. He might end up resembling a GSD more than I originally thought.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 31, 2013

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
This is my cousin's dog, Bowie.

We've been trying to figure out what the hell she is for the past two years, but never really get much further than Dog. Terrier? Something?

She's pretty aloof and wary of strangers and other dogs, but when she decides she likes someone, she'll never leave them alone.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Clearly she is a purebred Eyebrow Hound.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
The eyebrows are killing me. That's a cute doggie. :)

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Bowie totally looks like a Border Collie to me, they pretty much come in all colors/sizes/coats/ears.

Scully is absolutely adorable and I want to play with his ears.

Lucy is a fabulous longdog, I'm gonna guess she's a Bassett/beagle mix.

We finally got Brisbane a DNA test and should find out what dogs are inside him in the next couple of weeks.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Scary Ned posted:

Bowie totally looks like a Border Collie to me, they pretty much come in all colors/sizes/coats/ears.

Scully is absolutely adorable and I want to play with his ears.

Lucy is a fabulous longdog, I'm gonna guess she's a Bassett/beagle mix.

We finally got Brisbane a DNA test and should find out what dogs are inside him in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, my guess is that Lucy's other part is Brittany Spaniel or Basset.

She had her first obedience class today and did very well! I'm proud of my fur baby.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Scary Ned posted:

My guess is some kind of unholy genius being made of teeth mixed with a large eared bat :3:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Well, that is the first dna test I have seen that actually came back with believable results.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
PI Goons, settle this argument.

Last year, when my sister in law got Ghost and then we got Nori, it sparked husky envy amongst their social group. So another friend decided he wanted one too. He and his dad drove four hours upstate to get a Craigslist dog from an incredibly shady guy.

This is Duke.

Duke is about 40-45lbs. Shady CL guy said he was a husky/GSD mix. Brilliant, alpha theory loving guy who now owns Duke thinks (start laughing now), that because of his "unusual" colors instead of GSD, Duke is half ANATOLIAN.

I mean ok, the dog *could* be a mutt, but does anyone seen anything other than husky?! To play Devil's advocate, maybe Aussie Shep instead of German Shep?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
...except that his colors aren't that unusual? He... he knows red huskies exist, quite a bit, right?

So yeah, that sure is a nice husky.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 3, 2013

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

TVs Ian posted:

PI Goons, settle this argument.

Last year, when my sister in law got Ghost and then we got Nori, it sparked husky envy amongst their social group. So another friend decided he wanted one too. He and his dad drove four hours upstate to get a Craigslist dog from an incredibly shady guy.

This is Duke.

Duke is about 40-45lbs. Shady CL guy said he was a husky/GSD mix. Brilliant, alpha theory loving guy who now owns Duke thinks (start laughing now), that because of his "unusual" colors instead of GSD, Duke is half ANATOLIAN.

I mean ok, the dog *could* be a mutt, but does anyone seen anything other than husky?! To play Devil's advocate, maybe Aussie Shep instead of German Shep?

I'd accept purebred BYB husky if someone told me that's what he was. Dunno why he thinks Anatolian since they aren't coloured anything like that.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Can y'all determine what's in this dog? Petfinder lists him as being a Corgi/Dachshund mix. Corgi is just a really unusual breed around here, I only know one person who has a purebred, and there are only 15 mixes listed on Petfinder in the whole state. I know "Dorgi"s are a thing, but why would one end up in a shelter?

(sorry it's so small, also THAT TAIL)

He's around 3 years old and 15 pounds.

I guess I also am questioning because I spotted a dog in a Dogs 101 video about Chihuahua/Dachshund mixes that looked really similar.

Double Plus Good fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 3, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

My first thought was Chihuahua mix of some sort, so you're probably on the right track. Those photos are pretty poor though, so it's hard to judge what else might be in there. I don't see any Doxxie, but it could be the bad angles.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

a life less posted:

My first thought was Chihuahua mix of some sort, so you're probably on the right track. Those photos are pretty poor though, so it's hard to judge what else might be in there. I don't see any Doxxie, but it could be the bad angles.

Yeah, I don't really see Dachshund either, the long haired ones I've seen aren't usually so... poofy. The Chi/Dach mix in the pics I posted is probably a long haired Chi which are poofy like that. But 15lbs is too big for a Chi, right? I guess the shelter lady was thinking Corgi because of the stump legs and bat ears. I don't know what kind of little dog would have a tail that's ridiculous like that, maybe it's just overgrown?

EDIT: Here's another really poor, bafflingly small, weird angled photo, but you can maybe of see the Dach longness in this one.

Double Plus Good fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 3, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Double Plus Good posted:

Yeah, I don't really see Dachshund either, the long haired ones I've seen aren't usually so... poofy. The Chi/Dach mix in the pics I posted is probably a long haired Chi which are poofy like that. But 15lbs is too big for a Chi, right? I guess the shelter lady was thinking Corgi because of the stump legs and bat ears. I don't know what kind of little dog would have a tail that's ridiculous like that, maybe it's just overgrown?

EDIT: Here's another really poor, bafflingly small, weird angled photo, but you can maybe of see the Dach longness in this one.

The tail just looks long-haired chi to me, although the face and size would indicate chi-mutt. There are a fair number of long-ish small dogs that don't have doxie or corgi anywhere in the near-past.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I thought maybe Chi/Papillon? Or even Chi/Pom...? Or yeah, could just be long-haired chi.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I saw a Scully (even though he's a boy!) posted on this page so I thought it only appropriate to post a Mulder.

I'm pretty sure I've posted him in this thread before, but I don't believe the pictures were mine. I got Mulder from a friend who fosters up in Canada about three years ago. He was one of the harder to place animals despite how beautiful he is because of food and fear aggression problems and poor socialization brought up from even worse rearing as a puppy. He's come a long way in the three years I've had him though. He approaches people more, but he's still a little wary around men, with my father (who was nicknamed Doctor Dolittle in life) being the only exception. I'm not comfortable with him around kids still (and neither is he), but I'm hoping I can change that in the future.

I've started taking him to a dog park to get him a bit more socialized, both with dogs besides our other mutt and with other people. He's a border collie mix, as far as we can tell. Wherever I take him, he gets a lot of compliments on his coat, which is in need of a wash and brushing after lounging in big tubs of water at the park today. :3:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

This is my mom's dog, Hailey. She's almost a year and a half old now and the Humane Society had her as a Shepherd mix, or "Shepherdey Thing" as the vernacular would have it. She has webbed paws which makes me suspect some lab is in there too and she has multicolored irises which I don't even know where those come from.

I don't have many good pictures of her from the side, but here's the best of what I have for a profile, followed by various other expressions:

Looking quizzically at the iPhone being pointed in her direction:

Sitting at Attention?:

Sleeping:

Sleeping in Strange Places:

Being Caught Hoarding Pillows:

Post-Walk Napping:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
My sister's chowchow got knocked up by a random stray. I think it was a boxer. Here are a few pictures of the potatoes, they're a few weeks old and their eyes are opening. I'm hoping my sister can get rid of them.

e: helps if I add the drat pictures.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Those are some of the roundest potatoes I have ever seen. The black mask doesn't necessarily mean the father was a boxer, could have been a shepherdy thing or almost anything else. Wait until they grow up a lot more before trying to make guesses, the trouble with potatoes is that they're all potato-shaped.

Also, the Wisdom Panel site has an awesome photo gallery where you can search by breed and look at zillions of (insert breed here) mixes. Cattledog mixes tend to have pointy ears and/or spots, very few have Brisbane's weirdass coat. http://www.wisdompanel.com/photo_gallery/

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah it's usually impossible to tell what they could be at that age. They could grow up to look completely different. Many dogs have the muzzle masks. Is she gonna get the Chow spayed? Probably a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Skizzles posted:

Yeah it's usually impossible to tell what they could be at that age. They could grow up to look completely different. Many dogs have the muzzle masks. Is she gonna get the Chow spayed? Probably a good idea.

I'm not going there because I feel it's stupid. Let's just say I think she should be spayed, but I'm not the one that makes the decisions about the dog.

I'm pretty sure she said she caught the boxer on her, again I'll verify, maybe with some more pictures.