Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Congrats GWG! Happy to see ya landed a gig man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

GetWellGamers posted:

Well, finally landed a supervisory position after too drat long in entry level. Permanent job, salary, benefits, all that grown-up stuff! :woop:

There's also the possibility they'll be asking me for recommendations for entry level stuff, so if that happens I'll try and hook up a student/just-graduated goon or two looking for that elusive first experience. :unsmith:

Congrats! What's the job, if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: I suck and sign my posts

AmazonTony fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 12, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Hey Tony, can you send me your email again via PM?

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

Diplomaticus posted:

Hey Tony, can you send me your email again via PM?

For sure, just did. Hope all is well.

Edit: I suck and sign my posts

AmazonTony fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 12, 2013

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

AmazonTony posted:

Congrats! What's the job, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers,
Tony

QA Supervisor for a small but growing company in SE Orange County. So from the bottom there's the testers, their leads, and then me, and then sort-of a QA manager, but really they've grown to the point where the guy I'm reporting to wants to shed hats (He's also CS Manager, IT manager, and some other stuff), so basically anything I can do instead of him he'll probably be more than happy to let me. Funny enough it was my experience running GWG and other group ventures that pushed me over; I had the QA chops for sure but it was my team leadership and management experience- however unpaid- that made me the right fit.

Also, I'm pretty sure by SA Law I have to tease you for signing your posts. :bustem:

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

GetWellGamers posted:

QA Supervisor for a small but growing company in SE Orange County. So from the bottom there's the testers, their leads, and then me, and then sort-of a QA manager, but really they've grown to the point where the guy I'm reporting to wants to shed hats (He's also CS Manager, IT manager, and some other stuff), so basically anything I can do instead of him he'll probably be more than happy to let me. Funny enough it was my experience running GWG and other group ventures that pushed me over; I had the QA chops for sure but it was my team leadership and management experience- however unpaid- that made me the right fit.

Also, I'm pretty sure by SA Law I have to tease you for signing your posts. :bustem:

That's rad man, congratulations again! Happy to hear that you were able to leverage your passion (GWG) to advance your career, I've had the opportunity to do the same in my career and I found have found it immensely rewarding.

Also, I fixed those sigs.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Any day that a game dev goon gets a gig is a good day. Congrats!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone have experience of working with siblings in a professional capacity? I'm a programmer and my brother is an artist, and he's thinking of moving from advertising into serious games with me. We haven't clashed since we were teens, but my boss is sceptical because he's always had issues working with his brothers.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

Akuma posted:

Does anyone have experience of working with siblings in a professional capacity? I'm a programmer and my brother is an artist, and he's thinking of moving from advertising into serious games with me. We haven't clashed since we were teens, but my boss is sceptical because he's always had issues working with his brothers.

My brother recently doing some contract work with one of our books teams so I've been doing a bit of this, although not as closely as it sounds like you'd be working with your brother. From my perspective, I had some reservations but it has turned out remarkably well. For more context I'm 27 and he's 35 and until recently (read as 3 years) we wouldn't have been able to work together in any capacity.

For us, the turning point in our relationship came in the form of a serious conversation we had about how we interact with each other and some of the ongoing sibling issues we've had over the years. I don't know anything about your relationship with your brother but if you're thinking about working together and have reservations, it could be really helpful to sit down and have a conversation. The way I structured it was by talking to my brother about all the things I respected about him in his personal and professional life, and asked him to do the same for me, then I told him about the ways I felt we'd clashed over the years and we talked about ways to not do so again moving forward.

Just my 2 cents, hope it is helpful.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Akuma posted:

It depends on your relationship I think.
I didn't have any problems working with my brother (he's a tech artist) aside from how he was super nervous about me talking about his childhood.
But i'd still approach it with the same hesitancy I'd have if I were to work with my significant other.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Akuma if you can deal with me, you can deal with any fuckin artist. :tipshat:

Seluin posted:

Sure thing. The group is located here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6628203394/ (I think that link'll work)

However, it's a closed group and requires people be added to it manually. You can either request an invite from Brian Rubin or just send me a ping and I think I can invite you :P

Thanks! Though I'm straight myself, this is more one of those, "I really want to support this" kind of endeavors, I'll shoot them a message later because what they're doing sounds rad.

I've been on a bit of a Feminism and LGBT trip these last few months and I don't see it stopping any time soon :)

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 12, 2013

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Shalinor posted:

The communal indie game thing is actually a "thing" right now - http://indiegamehouse.com/. It's not even the only one.

I too am thinking more of a beach house lately. It's a cool thing to do if you've never tried a communal house, though.

There are some fantastic building going to waste in Dundee and we have some pretty fat internet pipes.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I interviewed for a third-party QA outsourcing company earlier this week, virtually the only thing in terms of QA that's hiring around here right now. Even though it was the most entry-level job I've ever seen (the pay is 2/3rds of what I made at previous positions, and the person I was interviewing sounded like he hated his life), I still might not get a call back. My unemployment benefits run out in about a month.

The QA industry is painful. :(

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Where are you located?

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

Akuma posted:

Like someone said before it probably depends on personality. I worked with my brother at the same studio, I was engineering and he was IT and it worked out pretty well. It was an easier sell to the management though, since there were two brothers on the art team prior and they were awesome.

Really the only odd aspect to it was that the managers were very skittish about information being shared between my brother and I that they didn't want shared. They constantly reminded us, separately, not to talk to each other about anything that is supposed to be on a need to know basis. Part of it was probably due to compensation differences ( secret bonuses, secret raises, large wage gap ) and partly because IT is privy to much of the business side of things that companies sometimes don't want employees to know / worry about.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
We've had a husband and wife team who have worked here for almost seven years now (one being a scripter/designer the other an engineer) and they usually wind up on the same project and are paired up on tasks. When they get into a programmer argument it can get sort of awkward, but that's about it. I thought most companies were fine with family/SOs being employed, so long as one of you is not the direct supervisor of another.

Zeryn
Jan 22, 2008
Amateur Lurker

Iron Leg posted:

Interviewed at Pocket Gems this week for a position that was probably a little over my head. Found out I didn't get it this afternoon. Welp

Hey I interviewed you :v:

Sorry it didn't work out! I'll send you a PM if I hear of anything else in SF I can send your way.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the advice, folks. I've worked with my wife a lot on work projects so I'm no stranger to working with family. I don't have any misgivings, really, it was more to just hear people's stories!

Also Aliginge ahyup.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 18, 2017

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Where are you located?

Austin, though fortunately I just got a call back today, so there's that at least. I am hoping more stable positions open up in the area soon, however.

Zeryn
Jan 22, 2008
Amateur Lurker

Waterbed posted:

Did you interview me a few months ago, by any chance? :) Associate Content Designer position late last year.

No, I haven't been doing the content designer interviews. I've been sick for an interview before and bombed it, it was terrible. Being exhausted was also responsible for the only time I wrote the wrong company name in a cover letter. I didn't get an interview.

Honestly, interviewing can be fun from this side of the table, but it can be a very surreal experience at times. Someone walks in and tells me they were a designer on Ultima 6 and I want to sort of abandon my prepared questions and ask them what really happened to Quenton in Skara Brae or whatever.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I have a phone interview with Blizzard for quest writing next week! I've only worked at small studios before and this would be my first AAA. To boot, it's the first non-QA industry job I've ever interviewed for. Any advice? :)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I have a phone interview with Blizzard for quest writing next week! I've only worked at small studios before and this would be my first AAA. To boot, it's the first non-QA industry job I've ever interviewed for. Any advice? :)

Don't write crap.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Spend the entire interview talking about GRRM, and how much you love his work and want to be like him someday. When asked what you've read aside from GRRM, divert the question back to a GRRM novel.
don't do this.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Lieutenant Dan posted:

This might be of use: http://www.shacknews.com/article/57889/lead-blizzard-dev-outlines-9

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Lieutenant Dan posted:

This is for WoW, I gather?

The standard for interviews in general holds true, obviously. Make sure to separate what you personally enjoy from what you feel is best for the game as a whole (that's a gotcha they like to use, depending on the interviewer). Honestly, as long as you're analytical about what makes a game tick, are familiar enough with the material and style of gameplay they're after, and don't come across as someone who is in it because they value writing above all, you should be fine. I can't tell you how many people coming into average themepark MMO content creation trip up on the notion that storytelling trumps anything. That makes the devs very nervous about your ability to make the right choices. :v:

Good luck!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Thanks for all the help! I'll be sure to emphasize that I have an understanding of design/mechanics too. I was given a writing test for Diablo, but I don't know if that's the team they're interviewing me for.

Also, late to the party but:

Comrade Flynn posted:

GDC is a cesspool. I ended up with strep throat AND two ear infections. Then I had to drive 12 hours for my move to Seattle. I blame devilmouse's CEO.

Everyone who went from my team ended up with stomach flu. Every single one.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

My first E3 this year and now I'm scared :ohdear: I don't want to get Ebola.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

My first E3 this year and now I'm scared :ohdear: I don't want to get Ebola.

Don't worry, E3 is so hot from the press of 100,000 people in a relatively small space that all the viruses die before they can infect you.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Don't write crap.

Snarky response to your snarky advice: God knows video games only hire the finest writers. Especially MMOs.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

emoticon posted:

Snarky response to your snarky advice: God knows video games only hire the finest writers. Especially MMOs.

You really need to connect with this farmer than needs you to kill 10 wolves. It's really important to his character arc.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Hey, they hired Fargo, so they did something right. If you see him tell him I said hi. :)

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

Lieutenant Dan posted:

*Disclaimer: Not a writer*. A couple of pieces of general interview advice, especially at a company that probably breathes analytics:

1. Try and speak to how you've used data or would use data to make decisions that have a positive impact on the end user. Examples I could see being applicable for a quest writer include:

"After pushing a quest into beta or production identifying how many users finish the quest vs. abandon"

If you're writing a multi-part quest and you identify that 50% of users don't finish it and that 80% of those users quit after step 2 you can figure out what's wrong with step 3 (too hard/boring to finish) or steps 1&2 (too boring to merit continuing the quest).

"How many users finish the entire cutscene? What is the average point at which the user skips the cutscene?"

These are both metrics that would help identify the quality of the content you're asking the user to consume. If you know that only 50% of users finish cutscenes and that 80% of the 50% that skip them do so halfway through, you could make a case that cutscenes should be shorter, or that there's something not compelling about halfway mark, which would help you improve the experience for the quest takers.

2. My standard last interview question (if I'm the interviewee) is to ask the person interviewing me if they have any questions about the way I responded to something, or any concerns about the way I answered a question. I let them know I'm very excited for the job (assuming I am) and I want them to be as certain that I'm the right person for the position as I am. One of my mentors passed this question on to me and it has been extremely helpful. It forces the interviewer to ask themselves critically if anything you said alarmed/concerned them, if there's nothing, they are less likely to ding you in the debrief with the rest of the team. If they do have a concern, it gives you an extra opportunity to revisit or further explain your answer.

Hope this helps, goodluck!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I started with Creative Assembly last week, have drunk deep of the Kool-aid, I think the project is going to be incredible. I'm really proud to be part of it, and the office is plush.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Hey - did any of you guys check out that bit about iD and Doom 4?

(here)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

IN case you're one of those weirdos who only ever visits SA from their control panel and bookmarks, Lowtax is looking for some peeps proficient in Unity3d:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Drink the Koolaid. Know everything there is to know about their games, and be able to speak to very specific instances, citing specific bits. You should know everything about their games and know WoW extensively - you need to be a fanboy. They have enough people applying that can do that, so it is kind of a baseline requirement for their applicants.

This isn't general industry advice, but specific to Blizzard. I have a few friends there and have interviewed with them myself about a year and a half ago - I'm not a WoW player though, so I couldn't really speak to the very specific questions about WoW item progression. They didn't outright state those questions, but they were basically asking me about demonstrating how to demonstrate armor tiers, and my inability to reference end-game WoW raid gear was kind of a test for how Blizznerdy I was.

I would suggest spending the next week reading all up on WoW and playing some if you can.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Cool. I played a lot of WoW but quit after Cataclysm came out, so I'll definitely make sure I'm caught up with the gameplay/gear changes. Also AmazonTony, that's a lot of great interview advice! Thanks again for all the help :) I'm super excited.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

oswald ownenstein posted:

Hey - did any of you guys check out that bit about iD and Doom 4?

(here)

Oh man. The longer the development cycle, the more of a hit the game has to be to recoup costs. When you're making an FPS, that means moving as far away from simplistic Doom-style run and gun gameplay and as close to CoD-style cinematic gameplay and multiplayer as you can in hopes of grabbing a large audience. And if you're mandated with making something as big of a hit as Skyrim?

Let's just say I do not envy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

emoticon posted:

Oh man. The longer the development cycle, the more of a hit the game has to be to recoup costs. When you're making an FPS, that means moving as far away from simplistic Doom-style run and gun gameplay and as close to CoD-style cinematic gameplay and multiplayer as you can in hopes of grabbing a large audience. And if you're mandated with making something as big of a hit as Skyrim?

Let's just say I do not envy them.

Yeah, one of my pals at id linked me that article and basically said "I can't confirm or deny anything, buuut........"

:(

I'm really hoping they can pull this one off.

quote:

Cool. I played a lot of WoW but quit after Cataclysm came out, so I'll definitely make sure I'm caught up with the gameplay/gear changes. Also AmazonTony, that's a lot of great interview advice! Thanks again for all the help I'm super excited.

You have the opportunity to change everything about Blizzard's awful writing for the past few games :iamafag:

(just kidding - I'm sure Metzen has that poo poo on lockdown)