Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

could it be that the unicode consortium are the biggest spergs of all?

yes, yes it could

nah emoji are fine

Ender.uNF posted:

Like everything else in Unicode, once you know the history it makes a ton of sense and you can't imagine it any other way.

When Apple was designing the iPhone, it turned out that Japanese Emoji were non-standard and unique to different carriers, so sending an Emoji to someone on another network was impossible. They proposed making their Emoji glyphs part of the Unicode standard (and to my knowledge donated them for public use). I believe Google also helped out. Thus we now have 722 carrier-agnostic, platform-agnostic standardized glyphs, including a pile of poop. (Some were explicitly included to map to the old carrier-specific symbols.)

This is precisely what Unicode is for, otherwise you end up with incompatible nation/vendor/carrier/whatever-specific character sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
also unicode has space for like a million characters and all the real characters combined is in the region of 800,000 so we have a lot of spare space we might as well fill

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Install Gentoo posted:

also unicode has space for like a million characters and all the real characters combined is in the region of 800,000 so we have a lot of spare space we might as well fill

what about when we make first contact with the klingons or wookies or whatever and they have like 200,000 characters of their own. i bet youll feel pretty silly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
then we switch to utf-128 and everyone in the universe gets their own personal alphabet

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Swordfish is a 2001 American thriller film directed by Dominic Sena and starring John Travolta, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Don Cheadle and Vinnie Jones. The film is an action thriller that was also notable for Halle Berry's first topless scene.[2] The film centers around Stanley Jobson, an ex-con computer hacker who is targeted for recruitment into a bank robbery conspiracy because of his formidable hacking skills.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

quote:

"Etchings" euphemism

The phrase "Want to come up and see my etchings?" is a romantic euphemism in which a person entices someone to come back to their place with an offer to look at something artistic - with ulterior motives. The phrase is a corruption of some phrases in a novel by Horatio Alger, Jr. called "The Erie Train Boy" which was first published in 1891. Alger was an immensely popular author in the 19th century, especially with young people and his books were widely quoted. In CHAPTER XXII of the book a woman writes to her boyfriend "I have a new collection of etchings that I want to show you. Won't you name an evening when you will call, as I want to be certain to be at home when you really do come." The boyfriend then writes back "I shall no doubt find pleasure in examining the etchings which you hold out as an inducement to call."
This was referenced in a 1929 James Thurber cartoon where a man tells a woman in a building lobby: "You wait here and I'll bring the etchings down".[17]
Also in Dashiell Hammett's 1934 novel The Thin Man, where the narrator answers his wife asking him about a lady he had wandered off with, "She just wanted to show me some French etchings."[18]
The phrase was given new popularity in 1937: in a well publicized case, violinist David Rubinoff was accused of inviting a young woman to his hotel room to view some French etchings, but instead seducing her.

Want to come up and see my etchings?
text me

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

text me
etch me

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hammerite posted:

what about when we make first contact with the klingons or wookies or whatever and they have like 200,000 characters of their own. i bet youll feel pretty silly

then we expand unicode from its current implementation to using the full 32 bits (the current unicode standard allows for using up to 32 bits for each character although in practice we only allow 21 of those bits to be used)

then we would have room for about 4 billion characters

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Want to come up and see my etchings?
text me

everyone's always mixing up "worthless" and "useful", dang

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

etch my neg rear end in a top hat

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

sketch my etch

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
woz my nog poghole

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The Remote Viewer posted:

Click here for the full 1491x807 image.

Someone made a detailed chart of which characters appear in which Police Academy movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_OP

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Living_people

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

never leave the bmp. ~~~~respecting culture~~~~ is a stupid baseline for system design. plus ucs-2 was the best encoding

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

everyone's always mixing up "worthless" and "useful", dang

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Critical reaction to MBV was highly positive, with the album receiving critical acclaim from most critics.

Insert puns here
May 31, 2011

The sealiest poster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pore_size_schematic.jpg

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USA_Today_newsracks.webm

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

give it about 10 years and this will be archaeological footage of an ancient artifact

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Now that I think about it I haven't seen one of those machines in a really long time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Now that I think about it I haven't seen one of those machines in a really long time.

yeah a lot of stores that used to have them out front have switched to just having a rack inside instead, and other random places will just not have them

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

[/end thread]

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mirrored image of Basil Fawlty attending to Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Come up and see my Ecchi ;-*

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
File:Anime_Girl.png, revision 20110912133300

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

File:Anime_Girl.png, revision 20110912133300

worst photos on Wikipedia as voted by wikipedians contender?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

i think that was around the time where they said 'look stop putting pictures of your dicks on wikipedia' and wikipedia reacted by overthrowing jumbo whales

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

LP97S posted:

Mirrored image of Basil Fawlty attending to Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton

this is actually sorta freaking me a little

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

File:Anime_Girl.png

Full resolution ‎(3,000 × 2,120 pixels, file size: 4.88 MB, MIME type: image/png)

gotta preserve that fine detail

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

English: This is a drawing of female figure with typical elements from manga and anime to illustrate the term and genre ecchi. Regarding this topic the girl is drawn in a position that would enable it to leave out the clothes entirely without showing any primary sexual characteristics. The clothes itself are a partially transparent dress, which is as common as wet clothes. The background shows a blue sky with a blossom sakura tree, which is a fairly often used motif in manga and anime.[1] The scene itself is represented in dutch angle, which exploits the length of the diagonal, thus laying the focus on the character itself.
In Japanese slang, ecchi denotes everything that can be seen as "dirty", "naughty", "frivolous" or "perverted", but the undertone is milder and not usually seen as insulting as the term "hentai". The term ecchi also denotes a fairly common genre/aspect of manga and anime which features (female) characters in tight, very short, nearly transparent, askew clothing, which is often seen as "rampant fan service". It doesn't show any sexual intercourse or primary sexual characteristics, but plays with suggestions − usually found in comedic Shōnen/Seinen manga, harem anime or bishōjo (美少女, literally "beautiful young girl") illustrations.
The image itself was created with Inkscape, a vector graphics program which directly supports SVG as the native storage format, making it very easy to create variations of this image, since every part can be reused without loss of quality. Note that an PNG version is available since not all SVG renderers are capable of displaying the image correctly. librsvg, the current renderer used by Wikimedia, has some technical issues with thumbnails and filters, which hopefully will be fixed in future.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
what about **REAL TIME*?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anime_Girl.ogv

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

From this page:

quote:

"All I wanna do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom and a boom-boom" was rumored to be used as a pick-up line of the early 90s.[citation needed]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
tbf it does not say successfully

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_picture_candidates/Ecchi_2

That paragraph appears to sum up what kinds of actions are considered ecchi. The image doesn't seem to be any of those. If its the intention that clothing what it is an example of, using the etc (as it doesn't appear to be cosplay nor is it apparent that this would be undergarments or fetish clothing), using the all encompassing etc as a catch call can't be used here; in addition the as i previously mentioned the clothing does not appear to be wet so its not a clothing malfunction category either.陣内Jinnai 01:49, 11 May 2011 (UTC)

It does not sum up what is considered ecchi, it gives an overview over some of the repeating patterns, which transparent, tight or short closing are as well. --Niabot (talk) 08:09, 11 May 2011 (UTC)

There are no sources that state that in the article.陣内Jinnai 17:31, 11 May 2011 (UTC)

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

tbf it does not say successfully

The talk page is probably where the real action is. "I used this line outside the Chess King at the mall several times."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i learned my lesson. always dig deeper

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

started heAring M.I.A's 'paper planes' the second I read this post

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

English: This is a drawing of female figure with typical elements from manga and anime to illustrate the term and genre ecchi. Regarding this topic the girl is drawn in a position that would enable it to leave out the clothes entirely without showing any primary sexual characteristics. The clothes itself are a partially transparent dress, which is as common as wet clothes. The background shows a blue sky with a blossom sakura tree, which is a fairly often used motif in manga and anime.[1] The scene itself is represented in dutch angle, which exploits the length of the diagonal, thus laying the focus on the character itself.
In Japanese slang, ecchi denotes everything that can be seen as "dirty", "naughty", "frivolous" or "perverted", but the undertone is milder and not usually seen as insulting as the term "hentai". The term ecchi also denotes a fairly common genre/aspect of manga and anime which features (female) characters in tight, very short, nearly transparent, askew clothing, which is often seen as "rampant fan service". It doesn't show any sexual intercourse or primary sexual characteristics, but plays with suggestions − usually found in comedic Shōnen/Seinen manga, harem anime or bishōjo (美少女, literally "beautiful young girl") illustrations.
The image itself was created with Inkscape, a vector graphics program which directly supports SVG as the native storage format, making it very easy to create variations of this image, since every part can be reused without loss of quality. Note that an PNG version is available since not all SVG renderers are capable of displaying the image correctly. librsvg, the current renderer used by Wikimedia, has some technical issues with thumbnails and filters, which hopefully will be fixed in future.

Ecchi is win my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In addition to being used in several films, most notably 1978's Halloween, the song's recording was parodied in 2000 on Saturday Night Live, in which a fictional producer craves a more pronounced use of cowbell.