Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Guilt Simulator 2000 is already in development: http://pope.jeffsys.net/index.php#ppl

Sorry dude, you're in but the wife stays. I have kids to feed.

Everyone should seriously play this game, it's a ton of fun. Also the opening music/menu rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id16jH2Mlas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

DrProsek posted:

So is there a link to a video of the HoD stream? I mean, I already preordered the thing but I'd love to see more of it :v:.

Here you go

Hey Paradox Devs, whatever happened to CKII achievements? They looked like a really fun excuse for some gimmick games.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

DrSunshine posted:

Let's not argue anymore, guys. And all over a stupid comment I made, too-- I feel terribly guilty for even mentioning it! :(
I think it was mostly my sabre-rattling. Empathy-through-agency is where game design crosses over into my actual field and I usually can't shut up about it. It's nice to have the conversation, but it's starting to devolve into shouting matches and strawmen. I haven't played Vicky 2 in a while but I'm eager to give Divided States a whirl.

Guilt Simulator 2000 is already in development: http://pope.jeffsys.net/index.php#ppl

I'm in love with this game. Even the early prototype with the state newspaper editor game is tons of fun.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Here is the trailer for that Papers, Please game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QP5X6fcukM

Great trailer.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

How odd. I don't have the Steam version here, but I will look at it tomorrow. Although it may be I am just being dumb and it wasn't in AHD. Is in HoD and TFH though.

It was me being dumb, it's in TFH/HoD but not AHD. Sorry!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I don't even do colonies anymore in EU3 because you pretty much have to genocide thousands and thousands of natives. Even exploring (as was done historically with armies of thousands of soldiers of course) triggers fights with the natives that lead to their genocide. I know it's a game but I like to sort of immerse my self a bit and it just made me think "gently caress this is horrible no" and then wish we had more options.

Tip: You can explore coastlines with ships, it just takes passing by them a bunch of times with a ship containing an explorer. Still probably gonna have to kill the natives unless you play a mod with natives negotiation though.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

New EUIV DD about Burgundy and Netherlands. No new systems to look at, only thing I noticed in the screenshot is that the advisor cost rises very steeply, 1d for a rank 1, 4d for a rank 2 and 9d for a rank 3 advisor.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Okay, so I've been playing Victoria: Revolutions with the Improvement Pack- I've figured out pop management, the basics of trade management, and I have an idea of what order I should build factories in, but I can't balance a budget. Imports are my largest expenditure, even with Laissez-Faire, and it's killing me. Even starting out as Britain on the lowest difficulty, I'm only able to break even by putting Naval Maintenance at minimum. I know this isn't the best decision, but I don't want to raise taxes above the demotion level (45%?) or tax the capitalists at all, and I want to keep education at maximum. Am I missing something with my imports? Should I shutter or reduce employment in factories that are import heavy?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Kavak posted:

Okay, so I've been playing Victoria: Revolutions with the Improvement Pack- I've figured out pop management, the basics of trade management, and I have an idea of what order I should build factories in, but I can't balance a budget. Imports are my largest expenditure, even with Laissez-Faire, and it's killing me. Even starting out as Britain on the lowest difficulty, I'm only able to break even by putting Naval Maintenance at minimum. I know this isn't the best decision, but I don't want to raise taxes above the demotion level (45%?) or tax the capitalists at all, and I want to keep education at maximum. Am I missing something with my imports? Should I shutter or reduce employment in factories that are import heavy?

Yeah, basically shut down factories that are importing huge amounts of stuff you don't have, or make things you don't really need. A big killer is luxuries, because they require large amounts of regular clothes and things and tropical wood (or whatever its called) and that stuff is in short supply in the early game.

A lot of factories in VIP (and regular victoria) just aren't profitable early in the game, because they suck up resources which are really limited at the time. Until you research the industrial techs, you're production is pretty bad, and factories higher up the resource production chain (say, luxury goods, shipyards) require more 'middle tier' (for want of a better word - stuff like steel, regular clothes) resources than you can actually produce at that stage because you haven't researched that tech. You're bottlenecked by stuff like steel, so you need to import it, but even if you can, at that stage your income is low and you can't afford it.

The logical solution would be to build more middle tier factories, but you're using Lasseiz-Faire, right? The AI Capitalists are dumb, and they build these second tier resource factories and then they build a higher tier factory right afterwards in the state, so you've got as many luxury factories as you do basic ones and the basic factories can't keep up with demand.

So yeah, close or reduce employment in the factories that are requiring way too many imports until later in the game.

The other thing is that your production of raw materials is still really low because you don't have these industrial techs, and as a result you're not making as much money as you will later, so all the micromanagement you have to do is temporary and you'll be ok later when you've got the industry techs.

Basically, industry techs are the first thing you should be researching in Victoria and VIP.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Will do. Thanks for the advice! Side question, though: What do I do with my Clerks? They'll be unemployed in many cases but I like the research bonus. Should I make them Clergymen?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK, Clerks should be working in factories to the tune of one of them for ever two Craftsmen.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

AFAIK, Clerks should be working in factories to the tune of one of them for ever two Craftsmen.

That's the limit and what I try to promote for, but I'm kind of confused because I had a bunch of Polish Clerks unemployed for a time in a Prussia game and they seemed to do fine- were able to buy all their everyday needs and everything. Do they start drawing from the education budget or something?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Vodos posted:

New EUIV DD about Burgundy and Netherlands. No new systems to look at, only thing I noticed in the screenshot is that the advisor cost rises very steeply, 1d for a rank 1, 4d for a rank 2 and 9d for a rank 3 advisor.

Burgundy getting a steep heir chance penalty right off the bat doesn't sit quite well with me. :( It seems to be more like tough luck than something that should persistently haunt them throughout their history if they survive. And it can be fixed too, Burgundian NIs could progressively reduce the penalty. If Paradox doesn't do this I know I will mod it in.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Sinteres posted:

Please don't turn Paradox Games into boring/masturbatory political education tools for internet activists. We all know that colonialism was bad and that all sorts of other activities associated with war are horrible, but the vast majority of people who play strategic war games do so to have fun, not to get a loving lecture about how whatever they're doing in the game is evil. The people who actually implemented these policies didn't get a pop-up warning them about their moral depravity in real life, so why is it necessary in the game? You can work out the implications of your actions on your own if you're inclined to do so.

The White Male Goon Gamers Burden

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's the typical heir chance in EU3/4? 33% seems pretty steep considering how long I've had to wait for a heir in EU3.

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Drone posted:

So how does one get the job of Paradox Interactive's resident alternate historian anyway?

You get a job at the company and then you tell me what sort of silly title you want on your lower third. Or I make one up, that's kinda how that works.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sinteres posted:

I just meant applying concerns we have today to a game about the past. Maybe that was the wrong word?
I actually think revisionist might be the correct term here, in regards to what were talking about. Revisionism is simply the process by which we reexamine our historical accounts, and the modern view of colonialism is certainly not the view people used to have. What people usually think of when they think of revisionism is called negationism*, which is stuff like Holocaust denial that attempts to expunge events from history.

*At least according to goon historians and wikipedia.

YF-23 posted:

Burgundy getting a steep heir chance penalty right off the bat doesn't sit quite well with me. :( It seems to be more like tough luck than something that should persistently haunt them throughout their history if they survive. And it can be fixed too, Burgundian NIs could progressively reduce the penalty. If Paradox doesn't do this I know I will mod it in.
Yeah, losing that penalty in 1500, when the event it's supposed to encourage becomes inactive, seems like the most sensible solution. That said, I don't think the event should just end like that, since Burgundy was a French fief. Really, I would prefer it if they added a decision like there is in MMtM, where the ruler of Burgundy calls for the HRE to turn him into a king under the suzerainty of the HRE, and thus releasing him and his land from the French crown. This should of course lead to a confrontation with the French king, who depending on how the war went would either have to acknowledge those claims, let Burgundy go for now, or grab the French provinces (similar to the inheritance, but the ruler of Burgundy keeps the non-French territory, and remains king).

Of course I would also like to see the opposite possibility, of the ruler of Burgundy inheriting France. The Burgundian branch of the Valois was the second most senior, and the royal branch wasn't particularly fecund either, so some untimely deaths could have had a Burgundian taking it all. Would be fantastic if that was a possibility, though that would probably require the game to keep track of heirs to a greater extent than it does now. Wouldn't even need to be particularly detailed, just say the next 10 in the line of succession, with the game remembering if they were in the line of succession for more than one TAG. The situation with the Valois could of course be handled by custom events, but it would be fantastic to have it as a dynamic system. Especially since this poo poo was still of vital importance during the early EU4 period, despite what the abrupt end to dynastic policies between CK2 and EU3 suggests. Since royal marriages seem to be much less spammy than they are in EU3, such a system would also be much less likely to go completely crazy.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

This game's up on Steam Greenlight, by the way. You should all vote for it so we can all enjoy the feeling of letting a possible human trafficker into the country because his papers are in order.

As far as the dev diary goes, I'm interested in the special Netherlands revolt mechanics - I wonder if Paradox will be using the same sort of system for colonial revolts (and maybe other nationalist/religious revolts of the period? I don't recall any though).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In anticipation of Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness, I've been playing around with Spotify some more and put together a Victoria playlist. I imported all of the music from Ricky for nostalgia value (and holy crap is there nostalgia value), and will be adding some more 19th/early 20th century marches.

The new Victoria playlist, if you're interested, can be accessed here: http://open.spotify.com/user/sa_drone/playlist/24cDENqrlkZZPhEpDEf4Os

And as always, the old Hearts of Iron/Darkest Hour "Mapgame" playlist of music from the 1910's-1940s can be found here:
http://open.spotify.com/user/sa_drone/playlist/5vINbatDHPib4oO6U0R3a0

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I think it was mostly my sabre-rattling. Empathy-through-agency is where game design crosses over into my actual field and I usually can't shut up about it. It's nice to have the conversation, but it's starting to devolve into shouting matches and strawmen. I haven't played Vicky 2 in a while but I'm eager to give Divided States a whirl.

Do tell me if you get the same crash on loading flags. I just can't understand why it'd crash for that guy but not for me! :confused:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't they cap out at a 1:4 ratio? 20% clerks gives the 50% output bonus.

As far as economy goes in Victoria 2, unless you are in a lovely country or have lovely resources/factories (why hello there Laissez Faire) it's pretty hard to drive yourself into the dirt. Hopefully HoD fixes the terrible capitalist factory AI, but until then, just take the MIL hit and switch your government to something that isn't LF so you can at the very least influence their lovely decisions to prevent bankruptcy.

Even with crap factories, you should be able to limp along until you grab whatever economy techs suit your nation the best. Being a shithead and stomping on some southeast asian countries or stealing Dutch Java is also a good way to prop yourself up in the meantime.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 12, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vegetable posted:

What's the typical heir chance in EU3/4? 33% seems pretty steep considering how long I've had to wait for a heir in EU3.

That does sound pretty rough, but hopefully you can flip into a Republic early on and not need to deal with it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I actually think revisionist might be the correct term here, in regards to what were talking about. Revisionism is simply the process by which we reexamine our historical accounts, and the modern view of colonialism is certainly not the view people used to have. What people usually think of when they think of revisionism is called negationism*, which is stuff like Holocaust denial that attempts to expunge events from history.

*At least according to goon historians and wikipedia.

Presentism seems more like the right term.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of V2, highly recommend you guys read the OP in this thread.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?682285-Victoria-II-Heart-of-Darkness-Beta-AAR-War.-War-never-changes

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Easily the best change: Exiled units, so my units no longer poo poo themselves with attrition the second the war ends :allears:.

Also the army changes sound pretty cool, it sounds like my doomstacks want about 5 infantry, 2 dragoons or hussars (hussars for more recon, dragoons for more attack), 2 artillery, and an engineer for my unit composition for the first half of the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SeaTard posted:

That does sound pretty rough, but hopefully you can flip into a Republic early on and not need to deal with it.

I wouldn't mind it if getting one of the later ideas or the final idea brought you back to normal heir chance levels. It would be extremely annoying to deal with that reduced heir chance throughout the entire game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kavak posted:

That's the limit and what I try to promote for, but I'm kind of confused because I had a bunch of Polish Clerks unemployed for a time in a Prussia game and they seemed to do fine- were able to buy all their everyday needs and everything. Do they start drawing from the education budget or something?

The way Vicky 1 does salaries is kind of strange. Basically, every POP gets a base income as well as a share of your country's export income. Both the base income and the export share is modified by the size and stratum of the POP. This system has some interesting consequences, the main one being that unemployed POPs still collect the same salary as their working brethren. They'll gain militancy for being unemployed, but they'll still have money to buy goods.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The way Vicky 1 does salaries is kind of strange. Basically, every POP gets a base income as well as a share of your country's export income. Both the base income and the export share is modified by the size and stratum of the POP. This system has some interesting consequences, the main one being that unemployed POPs still collect the same salary as their working brethren. They'll gain militancy for being unemployed, but they'll still have money to buy goods.

:psyduck: It's a Catch-22: Vicky 1's economic model is full of crazy poo poo, but you can interact with it to streamline things. Vicky 2 has improvements like Bureaucrats and Artisans, but it's almost totally hands-off. Or I may just be too tired to deal with this right now, that's a distinct possibility.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I wouldn't mind it if getting one of the later ideas or the final idea brought you back to normal heir chance levels. It would be extremely annoying to deal with that reduced heir chance throughout the entire game.

It specifically says it's an AI thing. Players aren't affected.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Pretty sure that while (thankfully) the event chain that kicks the Low Countries out of Burgundy can only happen to the AI player-controlled Burgundies still take the 33% heir chance hit? At least that's what the dev diary seems to say when I read it.

Then again I read it wrong the first time around and thought the event was possible for players too so I might be wrong here as well? But I only see AI control referenced when talking about the event chain, not about the NI itself.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

It doesn't say that. It says the modifier is used to make the AI-only event chain more likely, but it doesn't say that it doesn't affect the player.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are the national ideas in EU4 totally linear an hard coded to the specific nation? Like what if I'm playing portugal and don't want to do anything with colonies but instead become a huge land power in Iberia? I know they're trying to give the countries unique flavour but it seems to overly pidgeon-hole nations into roles. I'm fine with the AI following those paths but I'd love to be able to choose my own fate for the country I'm playing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's only 1 of your 9 NI slots. People are freaking out about it way too much.

I'm glad countries will feel at least a little distinct.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Are the national ideas in EU4 totally linear an hard coded to the specific nation? Like what if I'm playing portugal and don't want to do anything with colonies but instead become a huge land power in Iberia? I know they're trying to give the countries unique flavour but it seems to overly pidgeon-hole nations into roles. I'm fine with the AI following those paths but I'd love to be able to choose my own fate for the country I'm playing.

You can still do that and take a lot of ideas to support it. Basically, each country has slots for nine "Idea groups" with one of those groups being a nation-specific or region/culture-specific group. So Portugal will get colonization and trade ideas for its special group, but there will still be a lot of other idea groups to chose from for the rest of the slots.

The specific ideas within each group are linear, you have to take each one before the next. But you can take the groups in any order.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
So I've been playing through Vicky2 in preparation for HoD and I realized I don't really understand how some of the values for military units work. Basically, can someone give me a quick rundown of what Maneuver and Reconnaissance mean? Also, since I rarely really go past 1900, does anyone mind explaining how tanks and aircraft work on the battlefield?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Well this just sold me on AHD on the paradox store, now I need to wait for HoD to go up on steam so I can use my steam wallet $$$ on it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

So I've been playing through Vicky2 in preparation for HoD and I realized I don't really understand how some of the values for military units work. Basically, can someone give me a quick rundown of what Maneuver and Reconnaissance mean? Also, since I rarely really go past 1900, does anyone mind explaining how tanks and aircraft work on the battlefield?

From the Paradoxian wiki:

quote:

Reconnaissance increases your occupation speed and reduces the enemy's bonus from digging in.

Maneuver indicates how many squares inwards a unit can attack if there is no unit directly ahead of it (i.e., flanking when you outnumber).

As for tanks and planes, I'm not sure. I usually make it to around 1885 and then start a new game, so hopefully someone else can fill you in on that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Aircraft basically have really high reconnaissance, and tanks are just tough as balls. Nothing very special about them, you replace your hussars with aircraft and you raise as many tanks as you can afford (not many in a liberal economy, since capitalists almost never build barrel factories) to punch holes in enemy lines.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Baronjutter posted:

It's a nice incentive and help show the best way to play a certain nation and it adds flavor.

Now if you go off the rails you actually get to feel like your going off the rails rather than being identical to any other country going that path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Tomn posted:

Nothing very special about them, you replace your hussars with aircraft and you raise as many tanks as you can afford (not many in a liberal economy, since capitalists almost never build barrel factories) to punch holes in enemy lines.

You can encourage I think it's war industries in a province and then go ahead and cancel every factory they build until you get one. One is all you really need to, in a game where I colonized literally all of Africa I turned all my African soldier pops into tanks (why can you even do that) and didn't have a problem.

• Locked thread