Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks dude! Sounds like its what I expect. A perfect way to get a cheap fretless but nothing incredible, and that's not really a problem. Hopefully drumcityguitarland gets their shipment in because waiting on a new instrument is the worst.

I've seen people talk about switching out the bridge and maybe the pickups and getting a really good instrument too - not that it's bad to start with, but a few people have been super-hppy after some modifications. Actually I'll say this, the nut seems like a standard one to me, and everyone seems to recommend a low-cut one to take advantage of the low action on a fretless. I haven't looked into swapping mine out but I probably will at some point.

I have a question too actually, about my own fretless - does it matter if the silk winding is on the saddle at the point of contact? My E and A strings feel slightly muted, especially the E, like something's sucking the life out of the note the moment I play the string, especially if I move higher on the neck. At first I wondered if I put the pickups too high (they don't look it), but I just noticed the silks are between the string and the saddle on those strings.

It originally had Roto rounds on it, I switched them for the Chrome flats I had on my other bass and I guess I noticed it some time after that. I've googled and everyone seems to be mentioning Chromes, but there doesn't seem to be agreement on whether cutting them back does anything. Anyone know or have any other ideas what might be hurting the tone and sustain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Really does seem like a perfect project bass. I'm not much of a modder as of yet but it's going to be my learning platform :D

If you ask me, it's definitely caused by the silks.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Thomastik infeld flats. gently caress Rotos.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Constipated posted:

Thomastik infeld flats. gently caress Rotos.

Okay seriously, someone explain what makes TIs so good. I'm all about high quality music supplies but I've never heard a really good sell on them outside of, well, universal praise. Inform me!

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

They are definitely my favorite of all the flats I've ever tried. They sound great when you first slap them on, and will only sound better as they age and mellow out. They aren't as "stiff" feeling as other flats, they just respond better right away and play like butter. Seriously, way better than chromes IMO. Its really hard to describe what I like about them so much lol.

I'm sure a few guys here will recommend La bella's, have never tried them myself.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
TIs don't have enough tension for me, that's why I go with La Bellas.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I tried moving the saddle back temporarily to see how it sounds without the silk in contact and honestly it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference - it doesn't solve the problem anyway. I'm not really sure where I should be looking here, the low E sounds kind of dull and thuddy compared to the other strings, all the time instead of when I choose to make it sound that way. The other strings have a nice resonance and timbre to them, this just sounds dead. I don't remember this problem when they were on the other bass, and the low E on that sounds fine so I don't think it's the amp.

I've tried raising and lowering the pickups, re-set the action, moving the saddle out from under the silk, and nothing really seems to give it any life. Only other thing I can think of is the angle over the nut is shallow for the E and A (although a lot more for the A), but would that make much difference for fretted notes? I'm not really sure what I should be looking at to diagnose this, it sucks because I really like the bass but it's a lot less fun to play when one of the strings is dragging its heels

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
Today I dropped into a music shop near my apartment to see what kind of uprights they had.

Turns out they have like 50 of these cheap $500 $499 all laminate 3/4 basses. They claim they are so cheap because they bought them in bulk. I'm not sure I would go for one though. Just an option.

However, they also have this 3/4 Argento Bass with a solid spruce top. It's $1200 and has some minor fingerboard flaws. Any advice on these instruments? I know they have some techs there who play upright bass. And I can always go there and play the instruments as long as I want.

Think it would be a good starter instrument for a jazz bassist? Is $1200 too cheap? Will I regret not spending more?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

manic mike posted:

Today I dropped into a music shop near my apartment to see what kind of uprights they had.

Turns out they have like 50 of these cheap $500 $499 all laminate 3/4 basses. They claim they are so cheap because they bought them in bulk. I'm not sure I would go for one though. Just an option.

However, they also have this 3/4 Argento Bass with a solid spruce top. It's $1200 and has some minor fingerboard flaws. Any advice on these instruments? I know they have some techs there who play upright bass. And I can always go there and play the instruments as long as I want.

Think it would be a good starter instrument for a jazz bassist? Is $1200 too cheap? Will I regret not spending more?

Honestly 1200 is a little pricey for a first time buy unless you are really willing to spend the money. I bought a cheap plywood upright for my first upright and I still use it. I say play around see what you really want and then decide. Also if you live in the northeast checking out Upton Bass is worth your time. I

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
I guess I'm a little uneasy about getting a cheap bass like that from a chain music store. I've been playing various instruments for a while now and I understand how a cheap instrument can inhibit a beginner's progress (I had a $50 electric guitar once, it was awful). Hell, I was expecting to pay up to $2000 for this thing. I've been wanting one since high school.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I bought a Marcus Miller jazz when I was in highschool for close to a thousand. I wasn't, and still am not some crazy awesome bass player. If you want something, go for it. I sold it last fall, had some awesome times with it and don't regret dropping that kind of cash one bit.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Stingray 5 my parents' bought me in high school is the only item I owned in High School that I still use regularly ten years later.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

manic mike posted:

I guess I'm a little uneasy about getting a cheap bass like that from a chain music store. I've been playing various instruments for a while now and I understand how a cheap instrument can inhibit a beginner's progress (I had a $50 electric guitar once, it was awful). Hell, I was expecting to pay up to $2000 for this thing. I've been wanting one since high school.

I say go for it then if you are not apprehensive about the price but for the love of god look around at other stores and options before buying.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

manic mike posted:

Spend the money you saved on having it set up by a luthier and it should make a world of difference. You can also use that money to invest in some upgrades like a better bridge, etc.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Scarf posted:

Spend the money you saved on having it set up by a luthier and it should make a world of difference. You can also use that money to invest in some upgrades like a better bridge, etc.

Seconding this. A good luthier can significantly increase the playability of an instrument, and make sure it has the best tone that it can get. Also, you definitely need to get a case/gig bag, if it doesn't come with one. Have you considered getting a bow? Bows help a lot at hearing how far off your intonation is when you work on scales and such. I have a Glasser carbon fiber bow, and it's fantastic for the price. If you want a bow and you can get a cf bow for $200 or less, do it. They are so much better than anything else I have played in that price range, and they are extremely durable.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Although I loved playing upright in college, I hated using a bow. I never knew how much pressure to use, how much rosin, etc. Every time I put the bow to the string, I would just hear this torturous screeching and howling.

And that was just from my teacher! :downsrim:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I've decided to buy my first cheap bass. I'm getting a Squier VM Jazz Fretless. It's $300 and bleeds Jaco vibes. Has anyone played one? After buying a crazy expensive Bongo and being really let down by it I'm excited to own a really basic passive bass again. The thing seems like pure zen and learning a fretless will be really rewarding.

Those are lined fretless right? Just be aware that the lines don't really show you perfect intonation, so while they are a helpful guide you can't get lazy or your playing will sound sloppy and weird especially if you play with others. Also so you're not craning down looking at the bass at all times, it helps to play in the dark and try to find the notes by feel and hearing and not by looking. If you have one of those electronic chromatic tuners that may help.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
I'm going to get a bow for sure.

Here's one for sale near me http://tucson.craigslist.org/msg/3713371830.html

DrChu
May 14, 2002

manic mike posted:

That's a good price for that B-15N, you should get that too.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
You're probably right, but I don't need an amp

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Fishberg pickup? Full Circle all the way, baby :smug:

Never heard of that pickup, but I love my Fishman Full Circle. That bass comes with all the little things that you can need, which is nice. Looks like a better deal than I got on my upright, actually, if it plays okay and is structurally in good shape.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

manic mike posted:

I just thought I might point out that since you live in AZ you need to have I good humidifier otherwise that nice bass is going to destroy itself, I'm guessing you already know this but I just want to make sure.

Edit: Just noticed that it is a plywood bass and therefore much more resistant to weather changes and temperatures.

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 10, 2013

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That's why I want a carbon fiber upright - resistant to climate, lower maintenance, and light as hell. They feel weird to pick up, because the center of gravity is roughly where the neck joins the body.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

CaseFace McGee posted:

That's why I want a carbon fiber upright - resistant to climate, lower maintenance, and light as hell. They feel weird to pick up, because the center of gravity is roughly where the neck joins the body.

I have not even heard of these. This sounds so cool.

Edit: Then I looked at the prices...

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 10, 2013

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

All this talk about uprights made me think of a funny story.

There's a gentleman who works in a town south of St. Louis who found this bad boy on the side of the road and put it up in his "music room," in his office, which is a renovated house from the 1800's uptown. We were staying at the office when we came to visit, and I had to check that bad boy out. Either it was retired due to its damage, or heavily damaged when it was retired because the neck was badly cracked below the headstock, and the top was cracked at the bottom so it looked like a plank of it was sticking up. But, it still made a sound, and boy was that an experience. The action on that thing was insane, I was working a sweat just trying to play a simple bassline, nevermind the difficulty of having never played fretless.

I've always been interested in uprights, although I would much rather have an eletric standup, like one of the $3-5k models seen here

At last year's NAMM, the only one I was lucky enough to attend, I met Bunny Brunel, who is marketing his own like of EUBs, and is an acquaintance of my father's so I'm hoping that if I ever pursue such a purchase I will make it through him because his designs are pretty neat (and maybe I can get myself a deal). But, in the meantime, I need to get on a more professional level with the bass before making anymore insane purchases.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Bunny Brunel is really cool. I like the look of his Carvin bass, haven't had a chance to play one though. I briefly flirted with the idea of going upright/electric upright but I just can't afford the instrument and the necessary education

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've gotten it in my head to possibly sell my Lakland Hollowbody. If anyone thinks they MIGHT be interested, let me know and I can give you some details on it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I had that Squier fretless ordered from guitar center and they took forever to ship it and actually accidentally canceled the order after I emailed them complaining. Yesterday I went over to a site that isn't run by idiots, Amazon, and got myself a Squier VM Jazz 70s for $303 total including next day shipping. It's not fretless but I'm really looking forward to owning a 4 again and my first "Fender" bass. I plan on making sure it's in good shape and breaking it in all nice today and then going string searching. Do you guys have any recommendations for strings on a jazz? I'm looking for rounds that have a nice growl and will punch you right in the chest. Solid, meaty, you know. Rotos sound killer but I'm not crazy about how rough they are or the company's quality control. I play mostly finger style but I want to start slapping more since I haven't had a comfy bass for it in forever.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 11, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I had that Squier fretless ordered from guitar center and they took forever to ship it and actually accidentally canceled the order after I emailed them complaining. Yesterday I went over to a site that isn't run by idiots, Amazon, and got myself a Squier VM Jazz 70s for $303 total including next day shipping. It's not fretless but I'm really looking forward to owning a 4 again and my first "Fender" bass. I plan on making sure it's in good shape and breaking it in all nice today and then going string searching. Do you guys have any recommendations for strings on a jazz? I'm looking for rounds that have a nice growl and will punch you right in the chest. Solid, meaty, you know. Rotos sound killer but I'm not crazy about how rough they are or the company's quality control. I play mostly finger style but I want to start slapping more since I haven't had a comfy bass for it in forever.

DR High Beams or DR Lo-Riders. High Beams available only in steel, Lo-Riders available in steel or nickel and carry a bit more tension being hexagonal core.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Scarf posted:

I've gotten it in my head to possibly sell my Lakland Hollowbody. If anyone thinks they MIGHT be interested, let me know and I can give you some details on it.

USA or Skyline? Not that I can afford it at the moment anyway lol

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for strings on a jazz? I'm looking for rounds that have a nice growl and will punch you right in the chest. Solid, meaty, you know. Rotos sound killer but I'm not crazy about how rough they are or the company's quality control. I play mostly finger style but I want to start slapping more since I haven't had a comfy bass for it in forever.
Fodera strings, the stainless in particular, might do well for you. They definitely have punch, and if you like low action they're very flexible so they will rattle against the frets a bit. That's a good thing for growl, it was part of the secret to John Entwistle's tone

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TopherCStone posted:

USA or Skyline? Not that I can afford it at the moment anyway lol

Skyline. Got it directly from Lakland back when I was an endorsing artist for them (I guess I still am?) and had them put a bone nut on it. About 2 years ago, actually upon THEIR suggestion, I had them take out the humbuckers and put in the single-coil Chi-Sonics (same housing though). Hardshell case is from them too.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Scarf posted:

Skyline. Got it directly from Lakland back when I was an endorsing artist for them (I guess I still am?) and had them put a bone nut on it. About 2 years ago, actually upon THEIR suggestion, I had them take out the humbuckers and put in the single-coil Chi-Sonics (same housing though). Hardshell case is from them too.

I hear the Chi-Sonics are supposed to be amazing. Really wish I could go for it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

baka kaba posted:

I tried moving the saddle back temporarily to see how it sounds without the silk in contact and honestly it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference - it doesn't solve the problem anyway. I'm not really sure where I should be looking here, the low E sounds kind of dull and thuddy compared to the other strings, all the time instead of when I choose to make it sound that way. The other strings have a nice resonance and timbre to them, this just sounds dead. I don't remember this problem when they were on the other bass, and the low E on that sounds fine so I don't think it's the amp.

I've tried raising and lowering the pickups, re-set the action, moving the saddle out from under the silk, and nothing really seems to give it any life. Only other thing I can think of is the angle over the nut is shallow for the E and A (although a lot more for the A), but would that make much difference for fretted notes? I'm not really sure what I should be looking at to diagnose this, it sucks because I really like the bass but it's a lot less fun to play when one of the strings is dragging its heels

Have you tried changing the E string? It may have simply worn out, or gotten damaged somehow when you moved it to a different bass.

If the silk wrapping passes over the nut or bridge saddle, I always take a razor blade and trim it back. It doesn't make much of a difference in the sound, but it does seem to help with tuning stability.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 11, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Juaguocio posted:

Have you tried changing the E string? It may have simply worn out, or gotten damaged somehow when you moved it to a different bass.

If the silk wrapping passes over the nut or bridge saddle, I always take a razor blade and trim it back. It doesn't make much of a difference in the sound, but it does seem to help with tuning stability.

Hey thanks for the reply - it's a flatwound so I'm not sure if it's worn out exactly, although I guess it could go dead faster than the others? I've had them about a year or something, but it was my first set so I'm not sure what to expect. Or maybe the core's damaged somehow? It's weird though, it definitely feels different, like something is physically different about the vibration. I'm just not sure what to look at. I don't have any other flats to switch it for at the moment, so I was wondering if there's something else that generally causes this kind of thing.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
It could absolutely be a broken core. I had that happen to one of my La Bella's once, but it was right off the bat. Often it happens when you snip the excess length of the string when installing them. Most companies recommend you mark where you're going to cut it, then kind of bend it back and forth to kind of ease it into the cut, then snip it. Just cutting it outright can sometimes break the core (or so they say).

Or you could have just gotten a faulty string.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Scarf's post reminded me, I'm still trying to sell my Peavey Cirrus 5 if anyones interested.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Scarf posted:

It could absolutely be a broken core. I had that happen to one of my La Bella's once, but it was right off the bat. Often it happens when you snip the excess length of the string when installing them. Most companies recommend you mark where you're going to cut it, then kind of bend it back and forth to kind of ease it into the cut, then snip it. Just cutting it outright can sometimes break the core (or so they say).

Or you could have just gotten a faulty string.

I actually found a post by the La Bella guy while I was looking into it, I'll see if I can find it

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/flatwound-shootout-691193/index5.html#post9739194

quote:

If a player or installer remembers that on our Flatwounds, only to let the silked portion of the string go around the tunning peg, there would not be a problem..Another caution, CAUTION, is not to cut the string outright, until you have put a bend in the silked portion of the string then cut off that which is not going to be used. This means you have 30 something inches of string witha right angle bend of about 6 inches. From that six inches cut off all but about one inch.
No go to the tuning peg and slip the bent part into the hole. Next move is to take up the slack manually whild holding on to your bass so as to guide the string correctly around the post. Now you're home!

"Director of sales" or whatever, but hey.

So how does it actually feel if a core breaks? Is it a major 'ok this is hosed' moment, or is it more subtle? Messing around on my fretless the E feels like it's at lower tension than the others, so I'm not sure if that's part of the dull feeling it has. I don't have a lot of experience with different bass strings, I've only ever had four sets and two of those came on the basses when I got them :shobon:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

baka kaba posted:

I actually found a post by the La Bella guy while I was looking into it, I'll see if I can find it

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/flatwound-shootout-691193/index5.html#post9739194

"Director of sales" or whatever, but hey.

So how does it actually feel if a core breaks? Is it a major 'ok this is hosed' moment, or is it more subtle? Messing around on my fretless the E feels like it's at lower tension than the others, so I'm not sure if that's part of the dull feeling it has. I don't have a lot of experience with different bass strings, I've only ever had four sets and two of those came on the basses when I got them :shobon:

For me it was, "ok this string sounds absolutely different and 'dead' compared to the others."

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well, poo poo. Guess I better get looking for some new strings then. Although maybe it's a good time to try tapewounds........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

baka kaba posted:

Well, poo poo. Guess I better get looking for some new strings then. Although maybe it's a good time to try tapewounds........

Yes, it is always a good time to try tapewounds. May I be the first to suggest La Bella Nylon Tapewounds, they are my favorite.