Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My least favorites are quiz episodes, adventure games, and two hour specials. :v:

(They're going to do another quiz game this season, aren't they. :negative: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
My votes for the worst episodes are Mario 64, LoZ LttP, and LoZ: OoT. While those games are awesome, they did not make great GCCX episodes. In terms of games that they should do on the show, I said Little Nemo: The Dream Master since that game loving owns. :colbert:

Also, the new intro is fantastic. I can't wait to watch the rest of the episode later tonight since I remember my brothers and I renting Magical Quest a bunch of times. :)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
My least favorites are the Super Mario World (also 2, 64), Legend of Zelda and the Fatal Fury Special. Good lord the Fatal Fury Special.

I am probably the only person who requested Silent Hill and it would probably be a bad challenge in terms of episodes, but I have a feeling his reactions would be aaaaaaaaaawesome. But I'm a huge fan of the Clock Tower episode.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Random Stranger posted:

My least favorites are quiz episodes, adventure games, and two hour specials. :v:

Wow, what's it like to be so horrible?

edit: Oh, wait, I get it.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Do you guys need the raw for the latest episode that aired yesterday? I got a decent 720p rip of it if you need it to sub.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bpc908 posted:

Do you guys need the raw for the latest episode that aired yesterday? I got a decent 720p rip of it if you need it to sub.

I already have it.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

bpc908 posted:

You should post it here anyways for people do download. Anyone have videos for GCCX raws for episodes #154-157. I have the raw for the Yoiko Wreck It Ralph special if anyone wants it.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

(They're going to do another quiz game this season, aren't they. :negative: )

Given the theme, its totally within the realm of possibility. They should do the penultimate quiz game, Quiz and Dragons.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Famicom Jump is my least favorite by far. It's a game I had already played beforehand, and I knew it was both easy, boring and not something Arino would ever struggle with. Almost all the fun to be had in the game comes from recognizing characters and seeing how they were put to use in the game, but that doesn't make for a very good GCCX episode.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I was glad to hear our favorite Tamage narrator, Yuko Takeda, back in action. Glad to have her back. Good lick with the new baby Yuko.

And for your viewing pleasure:

joek0 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 12, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Meme Emulator posted:

I voted for Genji and Heike Clans as worst, to date it and Dragon Buster are the only episodes that are translated that I still havent gotten around to watching.I stopp ed less than halfway through for both

This post made me realize that I may have voted for Dragon Buster as a good episode because I was confusing it with Legacy of the Wizard (the game's real name was Dragon Slayer 4), and I think I may have been making this mistake on a long-term basis... I may actually have completely failed to watch Dragon Buster.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Regarding the new episode:
I can't believe that Arino cleared Magical Quest in about 5 and a half hours. There was light out when he cleared the game. Has Arino gotten better or was the game not that difficult? Great Job Arino!

joek0 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 12, 2013

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

joek0 posted:

Thpoilerth!

It would have been helpful to say that your spoiler was related to the results of the Magical Quest episode. :sweatdrop:

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

joek0 posted:

I can't believe that Arino cleared Magical Quest in about 5 and a half hours. There was light out when he cleared the game. Has Arino gotten better or was the game not that difficult? Great Job Arino!

It's fairly easy, and the fact that you get infinite continues from the level you died on makes it pretty simple to just truck on until you eventually beat it. The bosses usually are on their own levels too, so there's nothing to repeat if you die on a boss. He also managed to spam up a lot of coins and get both power items, which help a lot.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

joek0 posted:

It's just not a hard game. If you're playing it for the first time it'll probably be a little over 1 to almost 2 hours long. None of the bosses are that hard, you can buy upgrades, and the game is very quick to get you back to where you died. It's very straightforward with the exception of the final stage.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Here's the raw of the episode I promised.
http://depositfiles.com/files/4jtm5ol9i

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I can't be the only one that wants to see him try and play through Mother 1 even though I think it would be impossible from a logistical standpoint.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can honestly say that I never want to see him play a RPG ever again, unless it's a short and more suited to enjoyable viewing in its battle system like Chrono Trigger. I'd pay top dollar to see Arino do Frog's win pose.
The genre is too long and dull to make entertaining video and doesn't really lend itself to miracle plays or classic Arino screw ups.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That's also why the N64 game episodes aren't that great. There's better drama in the older style of game, where you can get to the end in less than an hour with perfect play, but becoming skilled enough to do it that fast takes a lot of practice.

Cudgeon
Dec 31, 2012
I would say action rpgs like terranigma or SoM may work, just from the challenge perspective. Or the old megani tensei games on the NES, because they were relatively hard..
But ya, too long for a 1 day play trough if he doesn't know the game already and it probably wouldn't be interesting enough to watch it over 2 episodes.

The only RPG he played was the Jump one, or am I wrong? I would say that episode was boring because the game wasn't very good and just a marketing thing to begin with..

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cudgeon posted:

I would say action rpgs like terranigma or SoM may work, just from the challenge perspective. Or the old megani tensei games on the NES, because they were relatively hard..
But ya, too long for a 1 day play trough if he doesn't know the game already and it probably wouldn't be interesting enough to watch it over 2 episodes.

The only RPG he played was the Jump one, or am I wrong? I would say that episode was boring because the game wasn't very good and just a marketing thing to begin with..

Shiren the Wanderer and St. Seiya are also RPG's. St. Seiya is a pretty awful game, too.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Random Stranger posted:

Shiren the Wanderer and St. Seiya are also RPG's. St. Seiya is a pretty awful game, too.

What's the general consensus on the episode, though? From what I know about it, the main problem with St. Seiya was that it expected you to do things that didn't make sense in the context of the game because you're supposed to know how the anime went.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redmercer posted:

What's the general consensus on the episode, though? From what I know about it, the main problem with St. Seiya was that it expected you to do things that didn't make sense in the context of the game because you're supposed to know how the anime went.

I'm not a fan of the episode though the Project CX sequence is incredible. The challenge does have some really memorable goof ups by Arino... He goes through half the game without leveling up his character.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

redmercer posted:

From what I know about it, the main problem with St. Seiya was that it expected you to do things that didn't make sense in the context of the game because you're supposed to know how the anime went.

Why would you play a licensed game if you weren't already a fan of the franchise and knew how the plot went, though? It's not like they tend to be good.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Adamant posted:

Why would you play a licensed game if you weren't already a fan of the franchise and knew how the plot went, though? It's not like they tend to be good.

Most licensed games in the NES era didn't try to stick to the existing plot, whether they were good or bad. also I got into Jojo's way before I ever had a CHANCE of reading or seeing it in English

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Special Bonus Video Time!

Enjoy this short clip taken from The Game Makers: Taito in which Emoto conducts an orchestra playing music from a couple of Taito games.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 41.38 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him take on HarmoKnight as a Nintendo special. I just plowed through that today and spent most of the time thinking:

1. Dude, Arino would love this.
2. Dude, Arino would totally screw that part up.

And if he finishes it too quickly, they can make him add on the bonus world. Baroque Trial continues to kick my rear end and has been for the majority of the day.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
If you would like a YT video for the new Magical Quest raw episode, here is the link. It will probably not be on YT very long. Dailymotion seems safer for GCCX videos for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_O7CtEmo8

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh, now I'm slightly sad that that's the Disney game they played. I thought it was... hosed if I can remember the name now, but it was for the NES, you controlled Mickey with Minnie following you, it was some sort of house with two floors, and it was gently caress hard to five year old me.

(The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Help me remember the name of a game!!!)

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, now I'm slightly sad that that's the Disney game they played. I thought it was... hosed if I can remember the name now, but it was for the NES, you controlled Mickey with Minnie following you, it was some sort of house with two floors, and it was gently caress hard to five year old me.

(The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Help me remember the name of a game!!!)

Micky Mousecapades.

Yeah, that game is hard. Not very good either.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

It doesn't take two seconds to type "Mickey mouse nes" into google and get
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mousecapade
As the first result which appears to be the one you are talking about.

Please in future do remember, Google is your friend.

Edit:I just realised that sounded super mean, sorry, I didn't intend it to read that way.

Brinty fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 14, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Adamant posted:

Micky Mousecapades.

Ah that's it, thanks. What can I say, I kinda wanted a nostalgia trip. v:unsmith:v

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

NBHS posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him take on HarmoKnight as a Nintendo special. I just plowed through that today and spent most of the time thinking:

1. Dude, Arino would love this.
2. Dude, Arino would totally screw that part up.

And if he finishes it too quickly, they can make him add on the bonus world. Baroque Trial continues to kick my rear end and has been for the majority of the day.

I want to see him play mazin saga on genesis. I think that would make for an amazing episode.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I was hoping for Mickey Mousecapade because it's terrible but maybe that's the reason they couldn't clear it.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Mister Chief posted:

I was hoping for Mickey Mousecapade because it's terrible but maybe that's the reason they couldn't clear it.

The game is incredibly easy if you A) Get Minnie's shot, B) Learn that she can't take damage, and C) Position her to spam bosses. But that would make pretty crappy TV. Almost as crappy as watching Captain Hook throw knives at Arino for like 15 minutes of the episode.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Adamant posted:

Micky Mousecapades.

You can come close to the experience by watching the Doraemon episode. Both were developed by Hudson (though Capcom published Mickey Mousecapade in the US, thus leading to the whole Disney/Capcom partnership because drat nothing could be that bad again), and there are thematic similarities between the two.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks so much for the Taito orchestra special---amazing how well they did with Legend of Kage! One wonders what it'd be like for the original composer to be there and see what came out if all these years later, unless I'm just ignorant and the property already had a drama or something to it. I'm going to be looping this here and there for days to come at this rate, if not weeks...

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Ciaphas posted:

I know someone answered already, but that thread exists, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mickey Mousecapades is a Hudson game and Konami owns Hudson's assets now. Since Konami seems less willing to let Game Center CX use their games in recent years, it probably has something to do with that.

My theory on why that's the case: the long running Arino/Kojima feud.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Thanks so much for the Taito orchestra special---amazing how well they did with Legend of Kage! One wonders what it'd be like for the original composer to be there and see what came out if all these years later, unless I'm just ignorant and the property already had a drama or something to it. I'm going to be looping this here and there for days to come at this rate, if not weeks...

A live action film of Kage was announced about a decade ago but like a lot of licensed projects that get announced it quietly vanished into the mists without a trace.

There was, however, a sequel for the Nintendo DS...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Random Stranger posted:

My theory on why that's the case: the long running Arino/Kojima feud.

What, did Arino declare Holmgång on Hideo Kojima or something?