Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Yeah, most surpisingly if you want to get a tab the most common job that I see Ranger option 40 with is 92G

Someone post that ranger cook img

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

I don't think any of the nobles in the Navy thread are intel. I don't think we even have enlisted intel dudes posting in there.

Hope you have a good time Manmower <3 <3 <3

We would rather lurk, but feel free to send me a pm manmower

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

warsow posted:

We would rather lurk, but feel free to send me a pm manmower

Please don't leak my post history to my CoC

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

:tipshat:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:tipshat:

Least I could do for the bestest recruiter ever.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
HCT please frame that + put it up at your recruiting station and take a pic

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Beria posted:

Please don't leak my post history to my CoC

They already know Beria, they already know.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

genderstomper58 posted:

HCT please frame that + put it up at your recruiting station and take a pic

i might do that next week when i am back at work lol

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks thread, gonna go finish college instead of other stupid poo poo.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

Thanks thread, gonna go finish college instead of other stupid poo poo.

That's what I love to hear. Go get them tiger!

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Suck your dream's dick man

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You will never regret doing that, ever.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks to this thread I know I'll never be able to actually use the military to get all my loans waived...and that for numerous reasons (age, family, etc) it probably wasn't a bad thing.

At least it makes going to law school and having the ungodly amount of loans not seem as awful, since it's not like I could actually have gone in as a JAG.

Big thanks to Defleshed for the FAQ post. Though reading the don't go to law school till after does make one a bit :smith:...well till I relish it wouldn't have been possible. :unsmith:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 8, 2013

Afonso
Feb 22, 2013
Anyone here know much about the Navy's CEC? The local officer recruiter seems determined to get me to put in a package. I figure that it probably involves less nonsense than nuke (which he tried to get me to do when CEC wasn't hiring), but I don't really know anyone who has done it.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
This is a good thread. Posted in here back in January. Went to MEPS this week for asvab and physical and got cleared for service. DUI waiver processed and accepted. Pick a job and take my oath Tuesday. Wanted to be an officer, but realized that what interests me most are the things that everyone gets, not just commissioned officers. In fact, I probably have more control over where I go as an NCO. And hell, putting more time between me and that DUI, in addition to being active duty can only help me if I want to go officer in a few years. Pretty excited; thanks goons.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nimmy posted:

This is a good thread. Posted in here back in January. Went to MEPS this week for asvab and physical and got cleared for service. DUI waiver processed and accepted. Pick a job and take my oath Tuesday. Wanted to be an officer, but realized that what interests me most are the things that everyone gets, not just commissioned officers. In fact, I probably have more control over where I go as an NCO. And hell, putting more time between me and that DUI, in addition to being active duty can only help me if I want to go officer in a few years. Pretty excited; thanks goons.

:downsbravo:

How the gently caress do people get waivered for DUIs in this day and age?

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

WOMEN DESERVE RAPE posted:

:downsbravo:

How the gently caress do people get waivered for DUIs in this day and age?

I'm not totally sure, but a college degree and absolutely zero other problems with law enforcement in 29 years probably help. Had to do an interview with a captain and have a friend of mine write a rec. My recruiter is pretty phenomenal too, wouldn't be surprised if he was doing all kinds of things that I don't know about to push it through.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What are you joining as?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sup. I got my BA in January 2012. I always wanted to be an officer but I only got a 2.3. It was a good school though. Should I just gently caress off and keep making coffee? I'm not fat, dumb, or sick.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 12, 2013

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

DoktorLoken posted:

What are you joining as?

I actually don't know, I probably can't get a security clearance, but my asvab is really high, so there are likely to be some really weird jobs available to me. 95% it will be non-combat, but aside from that I'm just looking for something that I won't completely hate and will allow me to get stationed in Europe. Really need to have that chat with the guidance counselor. It wasn't any specific job that applied to me, it was the stuff like free medical, ability to travel, comradery, servicing the country, relative job security and knowing exactly what I need to do to get promoted, etc. If anyone has any suggestions based on what I've said in this post I'm extremely open to them.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

ethanol posted:

Sup. I got my BA in January 2012. I always wanted to be an officer but I only got a 2.3. It was a good school though. Should I just gently caress off and keep making coffee? I'm not fat, dumb, or sick.

BA with a 2.3 and you serve coffee now?

Just loving enlist and try do get in a do-over of your younger years after a 3-4 year stint.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Nimmy posted:

I actually don't know, I probably can't get a security clearance, but my asvab is really high, so there are likely to be some really weird jobs available to me. 95% it will be non-combat, but aside from that I'm just looking for something that I won't completely hate and will allow me to get stationed in Europe. Really need to have that chat with the guidance counselor. It wasn't any specific job that applied to me, it was the stuff like free medical, ability to travel, comradery, servicing the country, relative job security and knowing exactly what I need to do to get promoted, etc. If anyone has any suggestions based on what I've said in this post I'm extremely open to them.

A DUI isn't a no-go for a clearance at all, FYI.

I know plenty of people with that particular problem and clearances.

Now getting a service branch to sponsor you into an MOS/AFSC/Rate that requires as clearance? That might be another issue, but honestly it's not a huge no-go for a clearance. Hell man, you made it this far and that's beating 99.9% of the odds.

Go for broke!

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

ethanol posted:

I was in the same position you were in three years ago. Literally exactly the same.

There's no reason to enlist with a degree unless you absolutely have no job prospects (even more likely now than it was today)

Enlisting with a degree may make you absolutely hate the military, or maybe love it.

I know four ppl who enlisted with degrees, myself included, and one guy here in the Navy thread is also enlisted with a degree.

Two ppl I know who are enlisted with degrees like it and are putting in OCS packages to be officers.

One is not too fond of the Navy, but will stay in because he likes his job and living in Hawaii. Can't blame him too much. Guy has an art history degree for fucks sake.

Another really really loves it and is staying it, but she doesn't want to be an officer because she likes her job.

I have really liked it, but ultimately ended up loathing it, had a crazily successful enlistment, but I'm still getting out and using my GI Bill to go to grad school. My success in the Navy enabled me to actually get into grad school, somethingnincouldnt have managed three years ago.

Anyway, that's my two cents on being enlisted with a degree, at least in the Navy, your experience may vary wildly.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

A DUI isn't a no-go for a clearance at all, FYI.

I know plenty of people with that particular problem and clearances.

Now getting a service branch to sponsor you into an MOS/AFSC/Rate that requires as clearance? That might be another issue, but honestly it's not a huge no-go for a clearance. Hell man, you made it this far and that's beating 99.9% of the odds.

Go for broke!

I have a massive student debt load, which I'm told IS a problem for a clearance. As in, I'll still have a shitload even if I get that $65k. Couple years of paying it down and clearing up other debt, and I should be good to go on anything I want to do.

Beria posted:

I know four ppl who enlisted with degrees, myself included, and one guy here in the Navy thread is also enlisted with a degree.

About to be one more.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nimmy posted:

I have a massive student debt load, which I'm told IS a problem for a clearance. As in, I'll still have a shitload even if I get that $65k. Couple years of paying it down and clearing up other debt, and I should be good to go on anything I want to do.

About to be one more.

It might be an issue but usually the problem is with unsecured debt which student loans generally don't fall under. Go for something you want, worst case is you get denied a clearance and have to pick a different job.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah, there's quite a difference between "I have lots of debt that may be hard to repay" vs "I have so much debt I'm willing to sell secrets to pay it back".

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
The less my current finances get dug into, the better for me, but you guys are probably right maybe I will go for something with a secret clearance.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

It might be an issue but usually the problem is with unsecured debt which student loans generally don't fall under. Go for something you want, worst case is you get denied a clearance and have to pick a different job.

For what its worth, I have student loans, and it was never even an issue for me to get. Secret clearance.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Nimmy posted:

The less my current finances get dug into, the better for me, but you guys are probably right maybe I will go for something with a secret clearance.

The number of people I know with bankruptcies AND clearances is something like 5. Though for what it's worth, they all had clearances at the time of the bankruptcy, and didn't default on their debts, though most were relieved through the courts. The economy has led to a lot more "give" on the financials side of clearances. It's not anything goes really, but more like they're willing to hear the cause of the issues and give everything a second look instead of outright begging off.

What I'm saying is-- unless you've got a history of not paying your debts, have charge offs out the yingyang or have defaulted and poo poo.. you'll be good. Just because you have 90k in student loans doesn't mean you can't get a clearance. If you weren't paying on those loans, and also had unsecured debt issues, then yeah- that can be a no go. Unless you happen to have a good reason for the financial issues, and an otherwise spotless investigation.

Far and away the vast majority of security clearances in the military are held by enlisted people. The people who are by far and away the most financially irresponsible fucks on the face of the planet.

But I'm not sure how easy it will be to get past the initial screening the recruiters/MEPs do or whatever- ya know? It's been literally forever since I had my initial clearance initiated, so I'm fuzzy on how that all works.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Lol, I know someone who lost (and later got back) a TS/SCI for something involving firing a starter pistol into the air and the Poletzi while in Germany. He's a great guy though, so luckily it worked out and didn't cost him his career.

Personally, I had around 15k in student loans and it had absolutely zero affect on my background investigation as far as I know. Like I said, as long as it isn't massive amounts of unsecured debt and you're being responsible about it, it probably isn't an issue.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
It's not a massive amount, but there's definitely a history of irresponsibility.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I had a few grand go to collections once. NBD as long as it's mitigated.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
I had between 2-4k of student loans, I don't know how much it differs between services, but in the Air Force it didn't seem like a big deal, even though the only reason the debts went to collection was because I refused to pay them. I told my interviewer that I knew they were there, I was working on taking care of them through the credit bureaus, and that no one could blackmail me with them; didn't seem to be a very big deal to him. I haven't received any notification that there has been any trouble processing me for a TS clearance.

P.S. I am now working my way through the Linguist tech school if anyone is interested in doing that. spoiler: It's pretty lovely.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Redfont posted:

I had between 2-4k of student loans, I don't know how much it differs between services, but in the Air Force it didn't seem like a big deal, even though the only reason the debts went to collection was because I refused to pay them. I told my interviewer that I knew they were there, I was working on taking care of them through the credit bureaus, and that no one could blackmail me with them; didn't seem to be a very big deal to him. I haven't received any notification that there has been any trouble processing me for a TS clearance.

P.S. I am now working my way through the Linguist tech school if anyone is interested in doing that. spoiler: It's pretty lovely.

Do they run you air force dudes through Monterey just like the army and navy cats?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What is acceptance like these days for the Army OCS option? I'm about to graduate with a degree in International Relations, around a 3.4 GPA. Good physical shape, pretty sure I can max a PT test. No debt, no health issues, no DUI, no criminal record. And I speak lovely French, if that matters for anything.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Enlist? I was really expecting gently caress off. Times have changed. You guys aren't recruiters, right?

I've thought about enlisting a thousand times, but my family keeps telling me not to do that. I'd be interested in hearing about the opinion of family member's of those who enlisted with a degree. My people seem to think I'll be miserable for years and then back to square one: career-less.

Also, how long is the wait after stepping in the recruiter's door? When would I need to abandon my job? I have 34 K in student debt. And 42 K in cash. Can I get the military to pay off my debt and keep my riches?

I have confidence that I could crush the ASVAB. How much will that factor into things?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 13, 2013

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Mustang posted:

What is acceptance like these days for the Army OCS option? I'm about to graduate with a degree in International Relations, around a 3.4 GPA. Good physical shape, pretty sure I can max a PT test. No debt, no health issues, no DUI, no criminal record. And I speak lovely French, if that matters for anything.

Really really goddamn hard. If your 3.4 was in STEM and you literally scored off the charts on your PFT (no seriously, people are scoring 306s and the like) you'd still probably need great extra curriculars and letters. Not sure what the Army thinks of foreign languages, but my OSO with the Marines likes my Mandarin. It can't hurt, what with the bullshit in Africa.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 13, 2013

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

Pandasmores posted:

Do they run you air force dudes through Monterey just like the army and navy cats?

That is correct, roughly a year and a half here at the DLI. Marines, too, though there seem to be less of them.

From what I can tell from my experience with the other branches so far, I think I made the right choice in joining the AF, those poor jerks have to actually work hard.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Redfont posted:

That is correct, roughly a year and a half here at the DLI. Marines, too, though there seem to be less of them.

From what I can tell from my experience with the other branches so far, I think I made the right choice in joining the AF, those poor jerks have to actually work hard.

Hahahahaha, yeah they do in a way I guess. I'm probably heading down to monterey at some point probably this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If I enlist in any branch, can I apply for warrant officer later with the hope (not gonna kill myself if it didn't work out) of flying a helo?

• Locked thread