Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wow, yeah. I was going to take Chara until I decided to take Landeskog again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Good picks.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I almost don't want to bring this up but all the Perry hate is probably a little overblown. I mean, yeah, he's a prick. But he really isn't the worst in the league, he cheapshots but he very rarely does anything that I would ever go, that's really not okay in this league. He chirps people and dives but not any worse than Kessler. And he pokes people but hey, just Boyle up and fight the guy or something. In my eyes it's a smart player taking advantage of a kind of lovely reffing system and it's not that he's a good guy, like i said, he's a prick. It's just that I think it's a little overstated.

Although now I'm going to get attacked because that's one unpopular as poo poo opinion.

e: and the way I see it with veterens. I'd rather have a core where I'm contending to win a cup for 10 years over being a frontrunner for 3. But honestly, both are pretty viable.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 13, 2013

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Corey Perry is good. He's just inbred.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Spamtron7000 posted:

Corey Perry is good. He's just inbred.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to gently caress your cousins in some states.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I had my eye on Landeskog for my second round pick from the get-go, but I hoped he'd drop to the 3rd round at least just because he doesn't have that huge offense (or even really the ceiling for it). But seeing how high guys like Ladd and Bergeron were picked, and even Parise and Toews to an arguable extent, maybe it shouldn't be surprising. I think a lot of us value these types of players similarly.

For the record I wouldn't have blushed if he was taken in Ladd's position, it's a great pick.

Austrian Mook posted:

e: and the way I see it with veterens. I'd rather have a core where I'm contending to win a cup for 10 years over being a frontrunner for 3. But honestly, both are pretty viable.
I think people would draft quite differently if this was real life with real stakes, like short-term playoff income and merchandise sales for drafting established commodities. Here, it's hard not to value the long approach. Sure we look at Lundqvist/Chara as immediately viable, but then the next team will have Markstrom/Hamilton and we'll all drool.

mozza fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 13, 2013

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh, man, yeah, Chara's a great pick.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Can somebody at the end of each round make a list of every grouping of players everyone has picked? Just for reference so we know who's still/not still on the board because I don't wanna be the guy next round to pick Landeskog only to find out he was already chosen.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

Can somebody at the end of each round make a list of every grouping of players everyone has picked? Just for reference so we know who's still/not still on the board because I don't wanna be the guy next round to pick Landeskog only to find out he was already chosen.

This is getting updated pretty regularly https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE#gid=0 so just check it for your guy when you pick.

e: All you have to do is go to that link hit ctrl + f and type in your player's name and if nothing pops up you're good to go.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Austrian mook posted:

Use the spreadsheet?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Must have missed when that was posted! Thanks guys!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Lundqvist and Charra is really good sure but what's your offense going to be now that all the no. 1 centres are getting snatched ______? ________? How about _______?

You feeling my sick burns?

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Austrian Mook posted:

that puts mozza up next. Has he been on today? I don't think I've seen him.
I'm around all the time, I just never post. In fact my three or four posts in this thread are probably more than I've made in the past two years. The PM notifications go to my email, so that helps too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

Lundqvist and Charra is really good sure but what's your offense going to be now that all the no. 1 centres are getting snatched ______? ________? How about _______?

You feeling my sick burns?

I'm pretty confident someone good will be there. Only 6 goalies have been chosen so far, so I could see a goalie run happening soon if people get antsy about getting a netminder. There's also still plenty of good defensemen out there too. We'll see how it all shapes up, I like the position I'm in whether things go the way I hope for my next pick or not.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Vigilance posted:

I'm pretty confident someone good will be there. Only 6 goalies have been chosen so far, so I could see a goalie run happening soon if people get antsy about getting a netminder. There's also still plenty of good defensemen out there too. We'll see how it all shapes up, I like the position I'm in whether things go the way I hope for my next pick or not.

I was more making a joke about how we refer to everything as _______ now but yeah. I'm a little anxious about my goalie. I was hoping for Schneider or Rask but I guess some people like picking goalies in the first round.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Austrian mook posted:

I was more making a joke about how we refer to everything as _______ now but yeah. I'm a little anxious about my goalie. I was hoping for Schneider or Rask but I guess some people like picking goalies in the first round.

there's always ______ _____

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 13, 2013

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

You just can't go wrong with getting a good goalie. Good goalies can prop up lovely teams but good skaters really can't. The amount of value you get from a single player like that is just immense.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

the talent deficit posted:

there's always victor fasth

I can't tell if you're making fun of me or not.

but yeah, having a good goalie is great but like i've said a couple of times. There's a slew of really good goalies in the league and only 30 positions where you'd need one. A lot of NHL teams sport two guys who'd be easily capable of holding a starting gig and they're pretty easy to trade for.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Zdeno Chara? Zdeno Chara? Well gently caress Zdeno Chara, because with the 46th pick the Los Angeles Kings would like to select Max Pacioretty. LF / 24 / $4.5 caphit 2013+

Dig it.

Alright, Max Pacioretty is not really Superman...

...or is he?

We may never know for sure, but I do have it on good authority that the guy is a loving cyborg, replete with an adamantium skeleton, and adamantium organs, and adamantium genitalia. Max may have made a successful comeback following the hit by Chara, but the pylon he was slammed into remains in a coma. :(

In any case, Max has been putting up great numbers the last few years on a team not exactly noted for its offensive prowess or mindset, and doing it without particularly spectacular linemates. He's a smart player who is great at both ends of the ice, has good size, and in high school was voted most likely to survive a nuclear apocalypse. He's also very young (24) and has what I think is a completely undervalued contract carrying a $4.5M caphit just about through the end of the decade, making him IMO an excellent forward around which to build a team that will be competitive both immediately and, perhaps even more so, in the long term.

Plus, I did say we were going to get all the ladies...

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
Oh man I can't believe these 2 guys haven't been drafted yet

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Oh man I can't believe these 2 guys haven't been drafted yet

There were a good half dozen guys I was debating between. Interesting to when they get picked up.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
why cant we talk about undrafted players yet? I dont think a single person here has gone "poo poo i wish i remembered him" because lists of Good Players of all kinds are easy as poo poo to find

id be much happier talking about anybody

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Verviticus posted:

why cant we talk about undrafted players yet? I dont think a single person here has gone "poo poo i wish i remembered him" because lists of Good Players of all kinds are easy as poo poo to find

I think that's more for later in the draft when things become a lot less clear as to who the good players on and some people might forget a player signed for really cheap or someone signed for a long time whereas if someone goes "man you should take _________ he's got a really great contract of 1.1 mil for 50 years and is 13 years old and scores 60 points every season golly gee!" then people might get mad.

Also it prevents people from getting all meta and pressuring people to take certain players and makes things a whole lot cleaner and more objective to opinion which is the point of the whole thread.

In short, people would end up choosing whoever people in the thread wanted and not who they wanted.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

canuckanese posted:

Alright. This pick is from my phone so no pictures. I'll be the first to say this pick may be a bit a reach but I really like this guy and I dont wanna miss out on him. I pick:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson
This is the pick I've been alluding to. That he fell to the second round is a travesty; he is probably in my top 15 because of his skill(already one of the best in the league) and age. The awesome contract just makes it better.

Seriously, OEL is a franchise player if anyone is. The only D I'd pick above him would be Karlsson.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

I feel like a lot of guys are flying under the radar for some reason and I'd like to keep it that way.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Rutkowski posted:

This is the pick I've been alluding to. That he fell to the second round is a travesty; he is probably in my top 15 because of his skill(already one of the best in the league) and age. The awesome contract just makes it better.

Seriously, OEL is a franchise player if anyone is. The only D I'd pick above him would be Karlsson.

He was 3-5 or so on my list.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Paulocaust posted:

I feel like a lot of guys are flying under the radar for some reason and I'd like to keep it that way.

Agreed. There's a long way between picks. When we do lift the ban it should be at the end of an even round to keep it fair.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It might just be me but I think Suter was a bit of a steal to go as late as he did. A guy who's looking like a Norris contender, is 28 and signed forever? Not to mention he's just beginning to reach his peak years? I'd have taken him in front of almost any other D-man on the market. I might not have gotten him if we had lifted the ban and ThinkTank definitely wouldn't have gotten Pietrangelo.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
you think people just forgot about pietrangelo?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Verviticus posted:

you think people just forgot about pietrangelo?

Not really, but if someone was hammering home how good of a player he was he probably would have went before Andrew Ladd.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, or didn't realise how good he is, something they may have done if we were talking about him. I mean why else do you pick Ladd over him?

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 13, 2013

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
e: quote is not edit.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Verviticus posted:

"I can't believe ______ hasn't gone yet" is going to be way more obnoxious when it happens after every pick and with an actual player listed to influence whoever's going next.

Meanwhile, I am looking at the top 9 players available right now and I won't lie, they are loving awesome. I want them all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

It might just be me but I think Suter was a bit of a steal to go as late as he did. A guy who's looking like a Norris contender, is 28 and signed forever? Not to mention he's just beginning to reach his peak years? I'd have taken him in front of almost any other D-man on the market. I might not have gotten him if we had lifted the ban and ThinkTank definitely wouldn't have gotten Pietrangelo.

His contract is stupid. He didn't go later than expected.

gently caress Corey Perry is a really good pick. Also a stupid contract though.

E: Also I thought for sure MaxPac would fall to the third or fourth round.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 13, 2013

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I almost took Perry with my first pick. Then i almost took him with my second. I wondered if maybe the collective anti perry bias mighht let him slide to the 3rd but I guess that was a pipe dream.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

People are avoiding bad contracts. Which is understandable, but again, a gently caress COREY PERRY is not going to drop to the fourth round just because of his cap hit.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

People are avoiding bad contracts. Which is understandable, but again, a gently caress COREY PERRY is not going to drop to the fourth round just because of his cap hit.

It has been so unpredictable. I kinda regret not picking someone else over Landeskog now, but I figured I had to hurry and pick the best really young guy available before he was taken again. Kovalchuk lasting as long as he did is nuts and there's another forward who hasn't gone yet either.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lando was one of the hot young stud forwards I was thinking of. But his stats this season seem pretty weak before he got concussed and I never watch Avs games so I have to wonder if he's really going to be a top line forward.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Lundqvist + Chara looks scary in terms of building an impenetrable wall that plans on winning games 1-0.

A reason I'm sort of glad I'm not participating in this: I don't know loving dick about players in the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Lando was one of the hot young stud forwards I was thinking of. But his stats this season seem pretty weak before he got concussed and I never watch Avs games so I have to wonder if he's really going to be a top line forward.

He was never going to be, in the sense of a 70 pt winger. He's a Mike Fisher of winger prospects. Not a bad thing.

• Locked thread