Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

I just got a text message from Rogers (?) telling me I can get a free Kindle Paperwhite 3G if I upgrade my phone and re-up my plan or something. I don't need one, but is this a legit thing they're doing, or just some sort of scam SMS?

Looks legit.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/04/01/rogers-offering-up-a-free-kindle-paperwhite-3g-to-those-who-sign-a-3-year-contract/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

less than three posted:

Even better. Set a cancellation for the last day of your billing cycle with TELUS. Go into Koodo the day before and sign up with a new phone number. No porting or giving of TELUS account info required.

My billing cycle ends in just three days. Would it be worth my while to do this with my current phone to save a few bucks before my current one arrives?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

My billing cycle ends in just three days. Would it be worth my while to do this with my current phone to save a few bucks before my current one arrives?

TELUS will require 30 days notice for cancellation. Call them up and request cancellation for your next billing cycle end. Go get the Koodo phone at that time.

Meanwhile with your current number: stick to texting, data, and outgoing calls. Outgoing calls to local numbers are local, even with your Eastern phone number. Incoming calls will be billed long distance.

less than three fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 4, 2013

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Martytoof posted:

I just got a text message from Rogers (?) telling me I can get a free Kindle Paperwhite 3G if I upgrade my phone and re-up my plan or something. I don't need one, but is this a legit thing they're doing, or just some sort of scam SMS?

It appears to require a brand new line, not upgrading an existing one, based on that MobileSyrup article and the sign at the Rogers in the mall I work at.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

OilSlick posted:

It appears to require a brand new line, not upgrading an existing one, based on that MobileSyrup article and the sign at the Rogers in the mall I work at.

Select existing customers are eligible for this offer and have been notified via SMS, but obviously these deals are ment to drive new activations so prolly not many people have been contacted.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.

renzor posted:

Haha yea, even the low level reps I've spoken to are extremely sympathetic.

I noticed that complaints commission link on the front page of this thread so I filed a complaint last night. Hopefully that works!

Just an update for those who sent pity my way a few pages back. After filing a complaint through the link in the Op FIDO's office of the President called me, apologized profusely, and did a charge back on my cc over the phone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WienerDog posted:

Select existing customers are eligible for this offer and have been notified via SMS, but obviously these deals are ment to drive new activations so prolly not many people have been contacted.

It might be those of us who are off contract. I've been month to month for months now and Rogers keeps desperately sending me offers for lovely android phones trying to get me to sign over another three years of my life to the memory of Uncle Ted.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using SIP and Internet calling as their main form of communication? Lacking a good service like Google Voice, using some prepaid data plan paired with VoIP services seems like the best way to have a single number for cell and landline (through an ATA). Plus by taking a SIM for a flex tablet data plan and using it in your phone, you could have the closest thing to a reasonably priced phone + data plan in Canuckistan.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Not on his cell phone but a friend of mine uses voip.ms. they are reasonably cheap and they run a broadsoft server I think so it's pretty well supported for having sip clients logging in to it. He fully recommends them. Also I used to work for polycom and a number of the voip phone developers used VoIP.ms so that's a mark in their favor as well

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've used my Callcentric account on my iPad and iPhone before, but honestly I think that unless you're really looking to save money then the convenience of just using your built-in phone app would be much more appealing over a third party app.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jan posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using SIP and Internet calling as their main form of communication? Lacking a good service like Google Voice, using some prepaid data plan paired with VoIP services seems like the best way to have a single number for cell and landline (through an ATA). Plus by taking a SIM for a flex tablet data plan and using it in your phone, you could have the closest thing to a reasonably priced phone + data plan in Canuckistan.
I do that. I bought an iphone outright, pay about $100 every 6 months for a prepaid rogers account with a text messaging package. I then use skype for all my calls on work or home wifi. If I need data I pay the couple bucks for a weekly data pass. Saves a lot of money.

Works for me since I use my phone mostly for web surfing on wi-fi, infrequently for long distance calls, and as a general way to let others contact me.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 9, 2013

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Martytoof posted:

the convenience of just using your built-in phone app

That's the thing, Android supports placing SIP calls out of the box.

Although cowofwar reminds me that these VoIP services don't support texting... Was looking at Fongo and Line2 first, which do support it. Fongo's interface is an ugly eyesore, but it seems fairly feature rich. Whereas Line2 looks quite professional and blends in perfectly with Android 4.2, but doesn't support SIP on other devices, only a softphone.

On the other hand, considering I never even use texting...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm moving at the end of the month and need a phone, but I'm reluctant to take the plunge on an iPhone 5 right now with the rumour sites predicting an iPhone 5s in "summer" of 2013. What's my best bet for an inexpensive temporary phone to use for 1-3 months till the 5s comes out? (likely going with Koodo or Virgin when that happens if it matters) Maybe just a cheap prepaid phone or something for the short term while I look for work/get setup in the new place? Should I be looking for a $50ish refurb Android phone to use for a couple months with a carrier like Koodo or Virgin and just swap out the phone when the iPhone 5s comes out?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

BGrifter posted:

I'm moving at the end of the month and need a phone, but I'm reluctant to take the plunge on an iPhone 5 right now with the rumour sites predicting an iPhone 5s in "summer" of 2013. What's my best bet for an inexpensive temporary phone to use for 1-3 months till the 5s comes out? (likely going with Koodo or Virgin when that happens if it matters) Maybe just a cheap prepaid phone or something for the short term while I look for work/get setup in the new place? Should I be looking for a $50ish refurb Android phone to use for a couple months with a carrier like Koodo or Virgin and just swap out the phone when the iPhone 5s comes out?

I think a cheap android on prepaid is the way to go. Ideally with a carrier that you are reasonably sure you won't get the iPhone with, so you can maximize the possibility of getting a contract switching incentive.

I learned this the hard way with Fido back in 2009... I was on month to month in anticipation for the iPhone 3G's successor, and they wouldn't even sell me a 3GS when it came out as I was an "existing customer".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My mom wants my old Blackberry because she lost her phone while on vacation recently. She's with Bell, but I got my phone through Telus (it has a TELUS stamp on the front and comes loaded with a ton of Telus apps). Will Bell let her use it?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

My mom wants my old Blackberry because she lost her phone while on vacation recently. She's with Bell, but I got my phone through Telus (it has a TELUS stamp on the front and comes loaded with a ton of Telus apps). Will Bell let her use it?

Depends on the model. It may be able to be used. Check under the battery cover. If it has an ESN or MEID, it can not be used. If it has an IMEI, it can be used as long as there is not also an ESN or MEID present.

If the device is not unlocked, you will have to get that done as well.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lexicon posted:

I learned this the hard way with Fido back in 2009... I was on month to month in anticipation for the iPhone 3G's successor, and they wouldn't even sell me a 3GS when it came out as I was an "existing customer".

That's exactly the sort of thing I was uncertain about. A couple months isn't going to get me any sort of retention offers I'm pretty sure, makes sense to try and troll for switching incentives.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Fido has improved things and have a reservation system now, I was able to get an iphone 4S fairly early from them in late 2011 as an existing customer

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

less than three posted:

Depends on the model. It may be able to be used. Check under the battery cover. If it has an ESN or MEID, it can not be used. If it has an IMEI, it can be used as long as there is not also an ESN or MEID present.

If the device is not unlocked, you will have to get that done as well.

There's a barcode and number underneath the battery that begins with "MEID DEC." I assume that's it? Guess she won't be getting it then. Why is that number incompatible?

What do I do with the phone now, then? I kind of don't want it to go to waste if I can help it. Am I able to donate it to a charity? I guess I can just toss it to e-recycling as a last resort.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

There's a barcode and number underneath the battery that begins with "MEID DEC." I assume that's it? Guess she won't be getting it then. Why is that number incompatible?

What do I do with the phone now, then? I kind of don't want it to go to waste if I can help it. Am I able to donate it to a charity? I guess I can just toss it to e-recycling as a last resort.

Yeah, that's an MEID. Can't be used outside Bell.

I asked because it's the easiest way to identify a phone's radio technology. ESN/MEID are the serial number format given to CDMA phones. IMEI is the serial number format for GSM/UTMS phones.

CDMA devices cannot be activated with anyone other than their home carrier. GSM/UTMS devices can be unlocked and taken somewhere else, as long as the network is compatible.

The phone is still fine, but it can only be used on Bell. Feel free to donate it to a charity or someone, there's no reason to let it go to waste.

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 11, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

less than three posted:

The phone is still fine, but it can only be used on Bell. Feel free to donate it to a charity or someone, there's no reason to let it go to waste.

You mean Telus, right? Anyway thanks for the advice. I'll donate the phone :)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

You mean Telus, right? Anyway thanks for the advice. I'll donate the phone :)

Whoops. :downs: Yes.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

The Globe and Mail posted:

Telus Corp. of Vancouver has entered talks to buy Mobilicity in a deal that sources say could value the target at between $350-million and $400-million. Meanwhile, Public Mobile – the smallest of the three independent wireless companies that launched operations in 2009 and 2010 – has hired investment bankers to find a purchaser. The two companies join Wind Mobile, the largest independent company, which has already been put on the block by its Dutch owners.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/telus-in-talks-to-buy-mobilicity-as-wireless-upstarts-seek-buyers/article11100134/

Welp. Lots of people predicted this would happen when those 3 companies launched, but I was naively optimistic and hoped that Canada would lose its status as mobile shithole of the world. It was a good run while it lasted.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Shofixti posted:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/telus-in-talks-to-buy-mobilicity-as-wireless-upstarts-seek-buyers/article11100134/

Welp. Lots of people predicted this would happen when those 3 companies launched, but I was naively optimistic and hoped that Canada would lose its status as mobile shithole of the world. It was a good run while it lasted.

Sigh. As poo poo as things are, mobile Canada is immeasurably better since 2009, and the new entrants are probably the single biggest reason. Now watch those ARPUs gradually creep back up...

It's too bad, because with the T-Mobile iPhone now a reality, if Wind, etc could start supporting it, I think that would remove the main lynchpin holding tight the big-3 oligopoly.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I dunno, a pretty big force for competition lately has been Koodo. Even if they're owned by Telus, they seem to be the one that Bell is trying to hardest to compete with. We've come out with similar plans (with similar handset subsidies) and we now offer free long distance in some of our plans. I haven't heard any internal communications breathe a word about Mobilicity or Wind, probably because their networks were so weak they didn't consider them a threat. Superior network coverage is pretty much the main thing we use as an excuse to charge higher prices than our competitors and get away with it, so I can see why I never see the names Mobilicity or Wind ever come up in any internal competitive info. Competition isn't dead yet.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

I dunno, a pretty big force for competition lately has been Koodo. Even if they're owned by Telus, they seem to be the one that Bell is trying to hardest to compete with. We've come out with similar plans (with similar handset subsidies) and we now offer free long distance in some of our plans. I haven't heard any internal communications breathe a word about Mobilicity or Wind, probably because their networks were so weak they didn't consider them a threat. Superior network coverage is pretty much the main thing we use as an excuse to charge higher prices than our competitors and get away with it, so I can see why I never see the names Mobilicity or Wind ever come up in any internal competitive info. Competition isn't dead yet.

It's probably because Koodo is absolutely killing it for the fighter brands. Within a year their subscriptions were higher than Fido's for the past previous years.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I posted this in the iPhone thread but figured I'd get a second opinion here: It is possible to use an iPad provisioned SIM in an iPhone - resulting in a data-only phone-sized device? I'd happily buy an iPhone outright and stick to pure data if so.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Lexicon posted:

I posted this in the iPhone thread but figured I'd get a second opinion here: It is possible to use an iPad provisioned SIM in an iPhone - resulting in a data-only phone-sized device? I'd happily buy an iPhone outright and stick to pure data if so.

Yes, but be careful when doing this -- Telus for instance will check if you're using the cellphone APN with a tablet SIM, and will charge your data by usage. Telus are the only ones with different APNs that I know of, but it's something to watch out for.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shofixti posted:

gently caress this poo poo.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I'm currently off contract with Rogers and need to get a new line with long distance minutes.

My current plan:
*300 Minutes + 5GB Shared Data
- Unlimited Evening & Weekend Minutes (Starting at 6pm)
- MY10 Canada-wide
- Unlimited Sent & Received Messages Text, Picture & Video (Device Dependent)
- 2500 Call Forwarding Minutes
- Conference Calling
- Call Waiting
- 5GB Shared Data
*Value Pack
- Call Display with Name Display
- Enhanced Voicemail

I'd like to be able to share the data with the other phone, and possibly with a tablet in the future. I'm also expecting that I'll need more minutes since it will be a work line. I have a couple older phones, but I am also considering getting an S4.

Suggestions?

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.
Koodo asked me if I'd rather receive 10% off my monthly bill instead of banking tab points or whatever. I now get unlimited Canada Wide and 2gb of data for just over $55 a month after tax :canada:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

:canada: WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE! :canada:

Yeah, it's from 2010, but I highly doubt the shape of the graph has changed much by 2013.

(from https://twitter.com/asymco/status/325985292265865217)

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Wind Mobile started up in the last 2 weeks of 2009, Public Mobile March 2010 and Mobilicity May 2010. Koodoo I think has been more competitive since then as well. Together they may not be a majority of the market, but I would expect ARPU to have gone down a bit since then.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

spoof posted:

Wind Mobile started up in the last 2 weeks of 2009, Public Mobile March 2010 and Mobilicity May 2010. Koodoo I think has been more competitive since then as well. Together they may not be a majority of the market, but I would expect ARPU to have gone down a bit since then.

Latest ARPU for the Big 3 are:
Telus: $60.95
Bell: $56.72
Rogers: $69.75

So no, not really. :v:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The Current had a segment on the mobile telecom market in Canada recently, and the different people they had on estimated that the big three incumbents are carry 90-94% of subscribers in the country.

Xanthine
Nov 8, 2008

cat gender is a social construct
Wow, I just got a text from Telus informing me they're going to start charging me 40 cents a text to the US now. Do I have any grounds to complain to them they're breaking the contract I signed or will they just tell me to get lost?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Xanthine posted:

Wow, I just got a text from Telus informing me they're going to start charging me 40 cents a text to the US now. Do I have any grounds to complain to them they're breaking the contract I signed or will they just tell me to get lost?

They'll probably let you out of your contract early!

...but that means that evry other carrier (except the new guys) are about to implement the same charge. So where will you go, Xanthine? Where will you go?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...but that means that evry other carrier (except the new guys) are about to implement the same charge. So where will you go, Xanthine? Where will you go?

I'm enjoying Line2 as a primary line so far.

Of course, that means I still have to give these crooks money for a data plan. :smithicide:

Xanthine
Nov 8, 2008

cat gender is a social construct

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Nooooooooo!

I just want what I paid for, unlimited texting to the US and Canada. Its ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Xanthine posted:

Nooooooooo!

I just want what I paid for, unlimited texting to the US and Canada. Its ridiculous.

Didn't you know? Text messages are really expensive to send! 140 bytes, bundled along with signalling pings (that they're sending anyway), that costs nearly 39¢ to relay to the US... They're barely breaking even, those poor carriers!

:ironicat: