Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Original story link: http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...n-arkham-games/
This might make you feel better:

quote:

Normal and Rookie and Realistic have a healthy spectrum from pretty easy to quite difficult. And on top of that we have this masochistic mode for absolute perfectionists. If you know about ghost playing and you never want to touch anybody [or] leave a fingerprint, this is for you”.
Probably not so much this part:

quote:

You can creep, watch and wait or you can use Killing In Motion to take out several targets in one flowing cinematic movement. It links together the Cover to Cover system (automatic dashes from pillar to post) with the Mark & Execute system (target multiple opponents for cutscene death) so that you can scope the area, choose your targets and then let rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Conviction is the only Splinter Cell I liked, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

I am also the psychopath who kills everybody in a level of Hitman, though, too. Won't be an eyewitness to tell who did the deed if nobody's left to talk :smugdog:.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Soul Glo posted:

I am also the psychopath who kills everybody in a level of Hitman, though, too. Won't be an eyewitness to tell who did the deed if nobody's left to talk :smugdog:.

You need to leave one survivor behind to tell your story. You'll never get famous otherwise.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

citizenlowell posted:

You need to leave one survivor behind to tell your story. You'll never get famous otherwise.

This is the poo poo that leads to being caught. You'll be plenty famous just from the deaths AND people won't think you're a sloppy putz.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Soul Glo posted:

Conviction is the only Splinter Cell I liked, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

No you can't enjoy the newer splinter cells :goonsay:

I'm pretty excited about the new game, pressing buttan to warcrime :jerkbag: and all. There's always going to be folks who wish for the games to stay similar to Chaos Theory (which is a REALLY loving GOOD GAME, as in it is so much better than the previous two games combined that it's actually kinda sad looking back), but whatever. There's nothing wrong with changing things up if the game is still fun, and it looks like there's going to be some proper stealth involved. If anything it'll certainly be a lot of fun to watch in action. I'm more concerned that we don't get Ironside for the voice, but he's apparently so invested in the character that he's making sure the new guy gets it 'right', for whatever that's worth.

It's pretty cool to see UbiSoft bucking the current trend and maintaining support for the Wii U.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
I couldn't find a Super Smash Brothers Brawl thread so I figured this would be the next best place to ask. Would anyone be able to identify the song played at 2:55?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ck7eIUWZVU

Thanks!

\/\/

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 13, 2013

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

dongsweep posted:

I couldn't find a Super Smash Brothers Brawl thread so I figured this would be the next best place to ask. Would anyone be able to identify the song played at 2:55?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ck7eIUWZVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2cVc1I1qCY

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Sounds like a Kirby song to me. Kirby Superstar?

efb

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Same base song, but the variation reminds me of Melee's Fountain of Dreams rather than the original SNES one. Probably the violins.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope they orchestrate/metalize this song in the next smash bros/kirby game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcnCVfuPqs

(I hope they metalize it more than anything I mean it's so loving :black101:)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope they orchestrate/metalize this song in the next smash bros/kirby game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcnCVfuPqs

(I hope they metalize it more than anything I mean it's so loving :black101:)

This sort of happened already but it could be done better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzbkdv82Nmc&t=234s

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm thinking about getting Tank! Tank! Tank! for a nephew's birthday. From what I've read the game sounds really simplistic, but the kid is turning three so that's actually what I need. He also has three older brothers and his dad that he games with. Is this a bad idea?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cicero posted:

I'm thinking about getting Tank! Tank! Tank! for a nephew's birthday. From what I've read the game sounds really simplistic, but the kid is turning three so that's actually what I need. He also has three older brothers and his dad that he games with. Is this a bad idea?

They re-released it on the eShop as a free-to-play game split into a million pieces of DLC, so you could download the eShop version to try it out and then buy a physical copy for bargain-bin prices if you want to upgrade to the full game.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They re-released it on the eShop as a free-to-play game split into a million pieces of DLC, so you could download the eShop version to try it out and then buy a physical copy for bargain-bin prices if you want to upgrade to the full game.
Good idea. I don't have a WiiU myself but a friend does, I'll try it there. Only problem with the last bit is that I can't seem to find the game for bargain bin prices like I expected, for some reason it's still like $40 new on Amazon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cicero posted:

Good idea. I don't have a WiiU myself but a friend does, I'll try it there. Only problem with the last bit is that I can't seem to find the game for bargain bin prices like I expected, for some reason it's still like $40 new on Amazon.

Crap, I just went to look up the prices for all the eShop DLC... turns out Namco never bothered to release the f2p version in NA, it's only out in Europe/Japan, so I guess you're gonna have to buy a physical copy either way.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cicero posted:

FWIW I have a 3 year old nephew and I gave him the simplest game imaginable to play, the Island Flyover from Wii Sports Resort, where you just hold the remote straight to fly, and all he did was keep crashing the plane into the ocean. Although he seemed to enjoy that aspect enough, maybe I should look into some job opportunities for him along those lines? What I'm saying is that a kid that age might not be able to handle it. At least, expect a lot of collateral damage.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I think Tank Tank Tank is getting an eShop release in the US soon it keeps popping up on the "soon" menu.
I know very little about Tank Tank Tank but the videos make it look like a pretty fun party game if you are looking for some variety after getting drunk and have already played Mario Party and Mario Kart (which don't exist yet :smith:).

For a 3 year old try good old Duck Hunt, I think you will need a CRT but they should be able to play it fairly easily I was about 4 when I first played Duck Hunt I think I was terrible but I remember enjoying ever moment (so they don't have to be good at it, maybe tank tank tank is a good choice still).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

pixaal posted:

For a 3 year old try good old Duck Hunt, I think you will need a CRT but they should be able to play it fairly easily I was about 4 when I first played Duck Hunt I think I was terrible but I remember enjoying ever moment (so they don't have to be good at it, maybe tank tank tank is a good choice still).

What? Put a toy gun in the hands of a 3 year old? Don't you pay attention to the news! /sarcasm

Honestly at 3 years old you can probably put a controller in your nephews hand while you play games and he would be none the wiser. Tank! Tank! Tank! would be cool as hell as a first video game for the appropriate age though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tank Tank Tank has that Kong mode or whatever to put himself in the game as the giant robot thing, I figure that'd be pretty amusing to him at least.

And probably a few years off from being a playable suggestion for him, but Need for Speed has its co-driver mode. It'd be like the post above, except his controller would actually have input while you override/assist with the gamepad controls.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

I personally want them to continue doing this by mostly focusing on games. I highly dislike the direction MS is going by trying to take over your living room first and slap gaming on top of it.

Also, one person's "whimsical" is another person's "innovative risk taking". Nintendo produces plenty of duds, but I absolutely love that they never shy away from taking big chances with new ideas. I wish more companies did this in general across all industries and not just gaming.

Nintendo has taken few risks in recent years, such as the New Super Mario Bros. series and re-releases of old games like Ocarina of Time. I think the last innovative Mario game was Super Mario Galaxy in 2007. Nintendo comes off as out-of-touch by acting as if toy-like accessories and gimmicks are enough of a substitute for features that are taken for granted everywhere else, such as online services. They broke into the console industry by presenting themselves as a toy manufacturer, but the industry has changed very much since then.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

japtor posted:

Tank Tank Tank has that Kong mode or whatever to put himself in the game as the giant robot thing, I figure that'd be pretty amusing to him at least.

And probably a few years off from being a playable suggestion for him, but Need for Speed has its co-driver mode. It'd be like the post above, except his controller would actually have input while you override/assist with the gamepad controls.

You really think a kid couldn't figure out a touch screen to change things? I gave my 2 year old nephew a 3DS with Mario Land 3D in it and he figured out how to make Mario Jump and gets really excited (He didn't figure out the slide stick in the hour the thing entertained him but he seemed to understand what was going on with jump).

Well actually Need For speed is a touch screen that interacts with a TV, so it might be a bit more awkward but with some prodding I bet a three year old could figure out they are changing things in the game (or "movie" tell him your watching a movie for fun, they'll remember it forever most likely).

Its pretty awesome to watch a kid discover how to use a videogame controller with no prompting.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Toady posted:

Nintendo comes off as out-of-touch by acting as if toy-like accessories and gimmicks are enough of a substitute for features that are taken for granted everywhere else,

Aren`t these "toy-like accessories and gimmicks" risks? I mean, you don`t have to like them, but it seems like a pretty big risk bringing out a console with a massive screen in the controller.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shelf Adventure posted:

Aren`t these "toy-like accessories and gimmicks" risks? I mean, you don`t have to like them, but it seems like a pretty big risk bringing out a console with a massive screen in the controller.

I don't know, I wouldn't really consider the pad a risk or a gimmick, its essentially a DS with the pad as the bottom screen and the TV as the top screen. The fact that it is almost universally viewed as one is a combined factor of Nintendo's terrible, awful, 100% no good advertising and promotion and the fact that they are still skimping on basics like online. As to their last real innovation, I dunno, Wii Fit? Mario Galaxy? The original NSMB? Maybe even the Wii with Wii Sports? There's stuff like Kirby's Epic Yarn but that looks to be more of a stylish choice than actual innovation. But then I just don't see all that much innovation in the "established" games industry at all to be honest.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Browsing club nintendo website from my Wiiu. Whats this video?
"Flash required" :v:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't know, I wouldn't really consider the pad a risk or a gimmick, its essentially a DS with the pad as the bottom screen and the TV as the top screen. The fact that it is almost universally viewed as one is a combined factor of Nintendo's terrible, awful, 100% no good advertising and promotion and the fact that they are still skimping on basics like online. As to their last real innovation, I dunno, Wii Fit? Mario Galaxy? The original NSMB? Maybe even the Wii with Wii Sports? There's stuff like Kirby's Epic Yarn but that looks to be more of a stylish choice than actual innovation. But then I just don't see all that much innovation in the "established" games industry at all to be honest.

I don't know if you can call NSMB innovation when it's whole "thing" is playing off nostalgia, acknowledged right there in its title. But then I'm sore, because to me NSMB is exactly the signal point for when Nintendo stopped giving a poo poo.

Anyway, I agree with you, I don't think the pad is particularly risky or necessarily gimmicky. I don't think any well-made, well-backed, and/or well-advertised desirable console would hurt with consumers from having a gamepad-style controller. It's just that it's not enough to carry a console, and I'm not sure if Nintendo thinks it is or what. I guess you could say trying to sell a console based on "the controller has a screen in it :effort:" is a pretty big risk, in a way. I'm with you on Mario Galaxy though, in terms of the last time I can remember Nintendo really going all Nintendo and throwing their all into developing a game that was extremely new and different. I wasn't the biggest Galaxy fan, but I appreciate it a lot more in hindsight.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

Nintendo has taken few risks in recent years, such as the New Super Mario Bros. series and re-releases of old games like Ocarina of Time. I think the last innovative Mario game was Super Mario Galaxy in 2007. Nintendo comes off as out-of-touch by acting as if toy-like accessories and gimmicks are enough of a substitute for features that are taken for granted everywhere else, such as online services. They broke into the console industry by presenting themselves as a toy manufacturer, but the industry has changed very much since then.

Nintendo is out of touch but I consider that a good thing. This industry is going to crash soon and a big reason is because it went too big. Nintendo will likely survive the crash because it always stats pretty modest.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Mandrel posted:

Anyway, I agree with you, I don't think the pad is particularly risky or necessarily gimmicky. I don't think any well-made, well-backed, and/or well-advertised desirable console would hurt with consumers from having a gamepad-style controller. It's just that it's not enough to carry a console, and I'm not sure if Nintendo thinks it is or what. I guess you could say trying to sell a console based on "the controller has a screen in it :effort:" is a pretty big risk, in a way. I'm with you on Mario Galaxy though, in terms of the last time I can remember Nintendo really going all Nintendo and throwing their all into developing a game that was extremely new and different. I wasn't the biggest Galaxy fan, but I appreciate it a lot more in hindsight.

The controller was risky in that a large chunk of the Wii U's price comes from it. With modest hardware Nintendo could have stayed with a traditional controller and gone for a more budget minded price on day 1. But who knows if that would sell better or not I'm no analyst.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo is out of touch but I consider that a good thing. This industry is going to crash soon and a big reason is because it went too big. Nintendo will likely survive the crash because it always stats pretty modest.

I wouldn't mind a video game crash considering all the samey stuff that keeps getting released across the board. The industry needs a real shake-up beyond "a console that's even closer to a PC than before" and "a FPS with an Hollywood movie budget." I'm personally hoping that smaller/indie developers can pick up that slack (as long as they aren't like those individuals featured in Indie Game: The Movie).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I don't know why people think the industry is going to crash soon. Conditions were much worse for the previous crash. People are still buying games in droves and I wouldn't say that consumer confidence is low at all.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know why people think the industry is going to crash soon.
They don't like the games that are currently popular and gamers love doom and gloom predictions.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Surlaw posted:

They don't like the games that are currently popular and gamers love doom and gloom predictions.

Case in point: people hate CoD games (but still buy them anyway) and love "[LATEST NINTENDO CONSOLE] is Nintendo's Dreamcast" type news.

There's no signs pointing to a crash, but it sure would be nice to see a large change in how the industry works.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know why people think the industry is going to crash soon. Conditions were much worse for the previous crash. People are still buying games in droves and I wouldn't say that consumer confidence is low at all.

Because they're not paying attention; the crash started a few years ago. Except it's not so much a "crash" as a gradual deflation spiral. People aren't "still buying games in droves", sales are way down. On top of that, companies big and small have been folding all over the place. The entire game industry is in pretty lovely condition right now with almost all of the major players one good shock away going under/pulling out of the industry.

Edit: vvv Absolutely. We're in the middle of a really chaotic period of transition for the industry. Players and companies are rapidly changing. The next two years are going to be a really interesting time for video games...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 13, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million copies in less than a month and that is somehow 2.6 million copies below Square-Enix was projecting. That's kinda why the industry is shrinking and games are either coming from mega publishers or indie devs. It's not doom and gloom it's just a changing market and environment.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

In my opinion, the tablet controller is a reactionary response to smartphones and tablets and not risky like the Wii remote was. The 3D of the 3DS also doesn't seem risky so much as gimmicky. Of course, not everything has to be an innovative risk. My point was that Nintendo still sees itself as a toy-maker and won't mature like the industry did. I don't mean "mature" in terms of game content; one example of maturing would be providing full-featured online services.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million copies in less than a month and that is somehow 2.6 million copies below Square-Enix was projecting. That's kinda why the industry is shrinking and games are either coming from mega publishers or indie devs. It's not doom and gloom it's just a changing market and environment.

No middle is exactly what creates a crash.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Toady posted:

In my opinion, the tablet controller is a reactionary response to smartphones and tablets and not risky like the Wii remote was. The 3D of the 3DS also doesn't seem risky so much as gimmicky. Of course, not everything has to be an innovative risk. My point was that Nintendo still sees itself as a toy-maker and won't mature like the industry did. I don't mean "mature" in terms of game content; one example of maturing would be providing full-featured online services.

What's lacking in the Wii U's online? I don't have a 360 or PS3, so I really don't know what they offer that the Wii U doesn't. I do play games mostly on my PC though and I wouldn't consider the Wii U's online support limited.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Not on the Wii U, they didn't. The Show is Sony only. Given how popular baseball is in both the US and Japan, the Wii U could have used a 2K13 port or a Mario Sports title, something.

e: I would poo poo pure happiness if Nintendo bought the rights to RBI Baseball and released a new version.

Here's the deal with baseball. Up until this year, 2K had an exclusive 3rd-party license on baseball, something they did to strike back at EA after EA got the exclusive NFL license. However, the exclusive MLB license turned out to be a terrible money pit for 2K, and so they were basically producing the games out of contractual obligation. The deal expired after MLB2K12, but with the new console generation coming up, no 3rd-party publisher really wanted to try and make a baseball game in under 12 months for release in 2013. MLB2K13 itself was announced very late, and it's basically assumed that MLB cut 2K a serious deal to produce what is basically MLB2K12 with new rosters in order to not have a year with no baseball games releasing on the Xbox 360. So, doing the work to create a port of that was basically out of the question.

2K might or might not stick around in the baseball market after 2K13, but doing a WiiU port is probably not in the cards if they do. There may well be an EA baseball game again once we get into 2014, but that's probably going to be designed for the PS4/Durango, plus they're EA and this is the WiiU, so I don't know that hopes are high that there would be a WiiU port if that game materializes.

Nintendo could have obtained an MLB license all along because of their status as a first-party publisher, but they didn't.

And also, my understanding is the rights to "RBI Baseball" are in legal limbo and may be difficult to recover, although Family Stadium (which is what RBI Baseball was in Japan) continues to be produced.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Random Stranger posted:

Because they're not paying attention; the crash started a few years ago. Except it's not so much a "crash" as a gradual deflation spiral. People aren't "still buying games in droves", sales are way down. On top of that, companies big and small have been folding all over the place. The entire game industry is in pretty lovely condition right now with almost all of the major players one good shock away going under/pulling out of the industry.

Edit: vvv Absolutely. We're in the middle of a really chaotic period of transition for the industry. Players and companies are rapidly changing. The next two years are going to be a really interesting time for video games...

Except I don't think it will crash. The market crashed last time because there was just shitloads of lovely games out there and PCs were becoming a thing. If anything, people will transition into markets that work better for profits such as F2P or downsizing AAA game development.

Lets also keep in mind that this generation of consoles has lasted far longer than anyone ever expected it to.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nintendo basically owns the Mariners so I could see an issue with them controlling the MLB license.

That said, they should make real sports titles again. I want to play a loving NHL game on a Nintendo console again that isn't 2K or EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

XenoCrab posted:

What's lacking in the Wii U's online? I don't have a 360 or PS3, so I really don't know what they offer that the Wii U doesn't. I do play games mostly on my PC though and I wouldn't consider the Wii U's online support limited.

Wii U has no cross game chat and you can't check your friends list, messages etc while you're playing online multiplayer, at least not in the games I've played.

Bland fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 13, 2013

• Locked thread