Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mak0rz posted:

This will just make it a more authentic throwback to 90's Build games :colbert:

Yeah, I really don't think people bought the original Forever with some expectation of a good story or whatever in mind. It was mostly how it played along with some gross poo poo thrown in that made people so disappointed. As long as it's a shitload of good gameplay it'll beat out the original Forever by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

The voice acting and story will be awful, but the gameplay will be good.

Hopefully the story can be at least skipped. I can't play Nehahra or TMC because of the long, horrid, unskippable cutscenes.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Bloodmobile posted:

Hopefully the story can be at least skipped. I can't play Nehahra or TMC because of the long, horrid, unskippable cutscenes.

Nehahra's voice acting isn't all that bad. the grainy audio kinda fixes that, but I'll say the villian has a pretty good voice.
also, isn't there literally only 2 cutscenes the whole game with voice acting? granted they're kinda long, but they're easy to deal with.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

Nehahra's voice acting isn't all that bad. the grainy audio kinda fixes that, but I'll say the villian has a pretty good voice.
also, isn't there literally only 2 cutscenes the whole game with voice acting? granted they're kinda long, but they're easy to deal with.

I literally couldn't get past the first cutscene in Nehahra. After 10 minutes of absolutely painful attempts at humour and no end in sight, I just gave up.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
loving hell, I was looking forward to a day that I didn't have to wrangle with DOSBox to play as an undead cowboy. What the hell are the "circumstances" Atari is yapping on about?

Does anyone know how to stop gibs from fading in Quake 2? Darkplaces spoiled me on exploded body parts not fading away and it's kind of making my inner sperg twitch.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do I have to do the mouselook fix to play Shadow Warrior? I just beat Blood again and I still want more Build.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Since Shadow Warrior is open source, you're probably better off getting a source port. SWP seems to be the most popular choice.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JackMackerel posted:

loving hell, I was looking forward to a day that I didn't have to wrangle with DOSBox to play as an undead cowboy. What the hell are the "circumstances" Atari is yapping on about?
The US branch has declared bankruptcy in a bid to separate themselves from their French parent company. Which is nice if you're looking for a bargain deal on the Pong IP, but not so much if you're trying to resurrect an action game about a vampiric cowboy.

(Also, just a little off topic, does anyone else find the term "IP" kind of gross or is it just me?)

Speaking of sad news about Monolith games, Activision's community manager did some detective work for a potential GOG/Steam re-release and apparently nobody seems to know who owns the rights to No One Lives Forever. :(

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Bloodmobile posted:

Since Shadow Warrior is open source, you're probably better off getting a source port. SWP seems to be the most popular choice.

just remember to make multiple saves if you're gonna use SWP, that thing has the annoying tendency yo just randomly delete save files for no good reason

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Speaking of sad news about Monolith games, Activision's community manager did some detective work for a potential GOG/Steam re-release and apparently nobody seems to know who owns the rights to No One Lives Forever. :(

Supposedly the guys behind the re-release of System Shock 2 have some idea about it, and are working on getting them, but ho knows.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

(Also, just a little off topic, does anyone else find the term "IP" kind of gross or is it just me?)

What's the problem?
\

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

catlord posted:

Supposedly the guys behind the re-release of System Shock 2 have some idea about it, and are working on getting them, but who knows.
If they made that happen it would be amazing. The NOLF games were so much fun and it would be a real shame if a digital re-release would be impossible. :(

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If no one knows who owns it, why doesn't someone just reclaim it? Who's going to stop them?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal
If anyone ever figured out who did own it, the adopter would be liable for an awful lot of money. There's no equivalent to salvage in IP law; things don't go into the public domain until the rights owner says so or the rights can be positively proven to have expired.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If no one knows who owns it, why doesn't someone just reclaim it? Who's going to stop them?

That's basically abandonware in a nutshell. It's still :filez: though.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

CowboyAndy posted:

Well, I know the guy from MSDN is working on it, and a few other old Dukers from back in the day (They did the AMC TC), so I imagine it will be pretty good. The voice acting and story will be awful, but the gameplay will be good.
Mikko's the only person working on it who also worked on the AMC TC - not to be touchy but of course I did slave over it for like 5 years of my life :v: I did like 90% of the work on it (not to downplay the work the other guys put on their maps however)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Playing through Shadow Warrior has reminded me why it was always my least favorite Build game that I played. Also, I was able to handle the ridiculous racism a lot better when I was younger.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I bought the Jedi Knight collection on a whim yesterday. Dark Forces is great fun, but the sequel, Jedi Knight, holds up remarkably well. Seriously, it's great. Big, beautiful levels, great weapon feel, puzzles that feel novel today, superb melee combat, really neat force powers, cheesy but hugely entertaining cutscenes...even the graphics look pretty great! Can't recommend it enough. The 90s Lucasarts magic is in full force (heh) with this game.

Unfortunately the release is pretty half-assed, you need to watch the cutscenes in a small window and the music isn't included, you need to download a disc image and mount it in daemon tools for it to work, but it's all well worth it. I'd love to see a gog release.

Game is getting seriously passed over in the OP, being lumped in with "eradicator" and the like.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 14, 2013

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

The Levels in Jedi knight weren't even beautiful back in the day. But they sure are big.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Jblade posted:

Mikko's the only person working on it who also worked on the AMC TC - not to be touchy but of course I did slave over it for like 5 years of my life :v: I did like 90% of the work on it (not to downplay the work the other guys put on their maps however)

Sorry! I don't know of many folks on the Duke community, except for Mikko, and that's only because of MSDN.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The melee combat in Jedi Knight was hilarious. I remember "duels" on MSN Gaming Zone that consisted of rushing in and swinging wildly.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but... I'm actually bored of Duke Nukem 3D. I've completed the entire Megaton collection and frankly I'm sick of fighting drones that use up way too much ammo, Pig Cops and Enforcers with hitscan weapons that whack away half your health even with armour, and the sheer blandness of half the maps. It's a shame - when I was younger, Duke was the best thing ever and I spent hours and hours making crappy levels to share with my friends.

I just feel like I've outgrown it. I even ended up using Steam Achievement Manager to get the "kill 1000 enemies" achievement because I couldn't be bothered to drag myself through the same levels again. This sucks. :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Did cheating and giving yourself that achievement make you feel better about yourself.

Did it.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Nope. I just didn't want to have a game with one solitary achievement outstanding.

(I would have gotten it legitimately but it only got added as I was finishing the last episode)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zero Star posted:

I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but... I'm actually bored of Duke Nukem 3D. I've completed the entire Megaton collection and frankly I'm sick of fighting drones that use up way too much ammo, Pig Cops and Enforcers with hitscan weapons that whack away half your health even with armour, and the sheer blandness of half the maps. It's a shame - when I was younger, Duke was the best thing ever and I spent hours and hours making crappy levels to share with my friends.

I've never found Duke 3D to have anywhere near the replayability of Doom.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I think I'm started to get burned out on Doom and Duke 3D. I need to play some more Quake and Unreal.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

I've never found Duke 3D to have anywhere near the replayability of Doom.
My feeling exactly. Doom just feels a lot more balanced in terms of difficulty.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I wish someone would make some new old first person shooters.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

I wish someone would make some new old first person shooters.

It's a shame that the current Kickstarter craze hasn't produced anything like this. I'd happily pay £10-20 for a new game from Raven or id or someone that just went back to the old Doom style of gameplay.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The main problem is that they don't always grasp what was the "old FPS gameplay" thing exactly. Hard Reset is a good example of the disappointing result. It was hyped as an "old school shooter" like Duke and Quake, and it ended up being a boring linear series of fight against bullet sponges.

Wrack seems the most promising for true old school gameplay because the lead developer is pretty involved in the Doom community and get pretty frank feedback from them about what he needs to improve. But it's still far from being finished.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I want more rocketjumps.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Cat Mattress posted:

The main problem is that they don't always grasp what was the "old FPS gameplay" thing exactly. Hard Reset is a good example of the disappointing result. It was hyped as an "old school shooter" like Duke and Quake, and it ended up being a boring linear series of fight against bullet sponges.

Well see that's the thing. The levels in Doom (and Quake) are extremely linear. There are secrets and lots of backtracking, but at the end of the day you are still going to follow a path, preset by the designer, to the exit and move on to the next level. Shoot, in terms of opening up levels, even the somewhat derided BF: Bad Company 2 (which all about point a to point b with some backtracking, side tracking and loads of monster closets) featured more than most oldschool FPS' ever did (except Red Faction) by letting you destroy level geometry you didn't like.

Quake can also get really bulletspongey at times, but that's often more a consequence of just not picking enough ammo to have the weapons you need. I think Romero and Carmack both have weighed in on the Old School FPS feel, and what they think it is is speed. In almost every post quake3/ut99 fps you move at a much more, let say "realistic," rate compared to doom where you are zipping around at something like 35mph, or quake where, with well timed bunnyhopping, you can approach the sound barrier. There are a variety of reasons player movement has slowed down in FPS games, but I think a game where people are zipping around again would honestly be all it took, since everything else (lots of enemies, lots of traps, level design, MAKE IT LIKE THE GAME I PLAYED WHEN I WAS STILL YOUNG AND MY BRAIN WAS STILL ELASTIC) is pretty contested.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

The thing with Hard Reset is that it was never meant to be Doom-like 'old-school'. It's pretty clearly more akin to Quake 2 than anything. In fact, it's a hell of a lot more balanced and generally interesting than Quake 2 ever was. It's just not what people were looking for.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

The thing with Hard Reset is that it was never meant to be Doom-like 'old-school'. It's pretty clearly more akin to Quake 2 than anything. In fact, it's a hell of a lot more balanced and generally interesting than Quake 2 ever was. It's just not what people were looking for.

If for balance was giving you a weapon that could aim through walls, shoot through walls and render the rest useless, well yes. It's not what people were looking for and never acomplished what devs said.

Mobility was actually a weapon on old school shooters, that's why Hard Reset sucked: you're slow, you sprint for 10 meters and enemies are bullet sponges, wich again shouldn't be an issue if the game wasn't a corridor shooter with slow movement. Hell, even in Unreal where you can't bunnyhop like in Quake you move quite faster than most (if not all) modern shooters.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's often several different routes you can take from A to B, and even when there aren't there are optional areas.

Plus you don't need much to make something less linear even while keeping a rigid progression. For example, just extend a corridor a bit past where you need to go, and put a window at the end that lets you look at enemies you'll meat later. Now you can either rush headlong and fight these enemies in close quarters, or take a short sidetrip first and pick 'em up from afar. Just with that, you have place A with fight X and place B with fight Y; or place A with fight X, place A' with fight Z, and place B with fight T. Two different approaches resulting in two different gameplay experiences, congratulations, it's not linear anymore.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

The creator of Skulltag was working on his own FPS called Wrack.

http://www.wrackgame.com/

Haven't played it myself, but I think he was looking to do an 'oldschool' shooter. He even got Bobby Prince to do the soundtrack.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I wonder why centered v_models eventually died out as a convention.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm glad I'm not alone in being let down by Hard Reset, I almost feel like if they had just been like "hey here's an FPS" instead of "here's a HARDCORE OLD-SCHOOL FPS gently caress YEAH" then it might have been much more bearable.

e: Wrack looks cool but I hope at some point they make the animations for the guns a bit less rigid.

Geight fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 14, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think any new old school shooter is doomed to be a nostalgia piece like the new Rise of the Triad. There's not really an obvious direction for these shooters to go that builds naturally on what already exists. What is the value in building a bunch of tech just to create a version of Quake with new levels and weapons? Changes to the formula might go over well with modern audiences, but they'll probably just piss off old school FPS fans, who inevitably say "Yeah well, my favorite FPS games of the 90s didn't do it that way."

As far as making a multiplayer arena shooter goes, Quake Live is a charity case, and I never played Nexuiz so I don't know the exact reasons why, but nobody played that game. Dead on arrival. Not exactly the most promising sign for possible developers of that type of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I never played Nexuiz so I don't know the exact reasons why, but nobody played that game. Dead on arrival. Not exactly the most promising sign for possible developers of that type of game.

For starters, it's hard to tell people you want to play a game with a name like that.