Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dodob posted:

Anyone catch Da Vinci's Demons? Low expectations not met :(

Yeah you can't go from watching Spartacus to watching that and not be underwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh, also

Hollow Hills posted:

Requesting Caesar slashing Naevia's throat while not even looking. It was the perfect end to such a badly acted character.

Here you go :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 13, 2013

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

teagone posted:

Oh, also

Here you go :)

For some reason watching these two gifs until the one revolution that they're perfectly in phase with each other is completely hypnotic to me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

dodob posted:

SinistralRifleman posted:

Yeah you can't go from watching Spartacus to watching that and not be underwhelmed.
I watched it first... I thought it was loving brilliant. Kinda like Borgias, but not boring.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

Rapeface, even in death he watches and waits for the time to strike.

I'll see if I can do some gifs as well once gimp stops breaking on me.

From the credits you can really appreciate the insane character death count for all the series.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is there a specific reason why the actor who plays Naevia changed after the first two seasons? I don't know how much the actor has anything to do with it, but she was much less annoying before the change.

On the other hand, as sad as it was what happened to Andy Whitfield, after having re-watched the series recently, i found Liam McIntyre to be much better in the role.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The credits gave me chills. I fuckin loved this show.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Oasx posted:

Is there a specific reason why the actor who plays Naevia changed after the first two seasons? I don't know how much the actor has anything to do with it, but she was much less annoying before the change.

On the other hand, as sad as it was what happened to Andy Whitfield, after having re-watched the series recently, i found Liam McIntyre to be much better in the role.

She got a regular job on a network show. NCIS or some poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oasx posted:

I think it was money issues

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

etalian posted:

From the credits you can really appreciate the insane character death count for all the series.

From what I counted 50 characters with 8 of them surviving at the end(counting Varro's kid as a character who survives).

OhSnapGangsta
Jun 24, 2006

All the arms we need are for hugging
Production on Spartacus was put on hold and potentially couldd have been cancelled when Andy got cancer. She got a different role and decided to keep it when Spartacus was ready to film the second season.

Gow
Feb 25, 2007

When he said that again as he was dying it was like a pinch in the gut. :( My favourite part of the ending just because of the impact it had on me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OhSnapGangsta posted:

Production on Spartacus was put on hold and potentially couldd have been cancelled when Andy got cancer. She got a different role and decided to keep it when Spartacus was ready to film the second season.

Not really since she was in season 2.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hah

SLJ's cock is one of us!

OhSnapGangsta
Jun 24, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Not really since she was in season 2.

I mean season 2 not the prequel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OhSnapGangsta posted:

I mean season 2 not the prequel.

It was announced that it was being recast after they already cast Liam and during the airing of the prequel. Their was more to it then just not sure if it was continuing.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
At some of the points in that finale, especially the duel against Crassus, Liam seemed to be channeling Russell Crowe's Gladiator.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jabbu posted:

At some of the points in that finale Spartacus seemed to be channeling Russell Crowe's Gladiator.

I noticed that in the penultimate episode there seemed to be some nods to Gladiator going on.

OhSnapGangsta
Jun 24, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

It was announced that it was being recast after they already cast Liam and during the airing of the prequel. Their was more to it then just not sure if it was continuing.

She took the new role when they were still unsure what was going to happen. She later decided not to return.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/lesley-ann-brandt-to-leave-starzs-spartacus-role-of-naevia-will-be-reacst/

quote:

Lesley-Ann Brandt, who played Naevia, body slave to Lucretia (Lucy Lawless) and lover of Crixus (Manu Bennett) on the first season of the show and in the prequel, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, has decided not to renew her contract and won’t return for season 2. She just started a recurring role on CSI: NY and opted to also pursue broadcast pilots, which are currently casting.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Just watched the final episode. I have no words. I had been building up this moment in mind for three years, and over the past few weeks I've been worried that I might have built it up in my mind too much. But the show delivered. The finale was incredible, and I can't think of a more perfect way to have resolved the story. I spent most of it nearly in tears. This show struck an emotional cord in me that few other shows or movies have been able to do. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all these feels.

This is truly the best television series I have ever seen.

Edit: My three-years-younger self would never have believed that my future self would be saying that about Spartacus: Blood and Sand, of all things.

Pioneer42 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 13, 2013

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
I appreciated the historical foreshadowing in the final battle, demonstrating that Crassus is easily tricked into forming testudo in the face of an imminent attack. It's the little details that made this whole series not just a dumb tits-and-gore show, but probably the best action based telly I've seen in a long while.

It's strange how shows like Game of Thrones get all the critical acclaim and huge budgets, but something that was initially dismissed as 300 The Show packs into one episode more drama and emotion than an entire season the former. The season finales of all three full seasons of Spartacus have easily been the best I have ever seen. Television is there to entertain you after all, and Spartacus definitely did that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Welp I just bought the entire series on Blu-Ray. This show definitely needs a rewatch in HD.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

OhSnapGangsta posted:

She took the new role when they were still unsure what was going to happen. She later decided not to return.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/lesley-ann-brandt-to-leave-starzs-spartacus-role-of-naevia-will-be-reacst/

I wasn't crazy about Naevia's new actor, but at the same time I can't picture the original one in this role. On the bright side, I did like her quite a bit in the last few episodes. Her death felt especially tragic to me for some reason. :(

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

dodob posted:

It was pretty good and has a lot of potential that may or may not be fulfilled.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Gow posted:

When he said that again as he was dying it was like a pinch in the gut. :( My favourite part of the ending just because of the impact it had on me.

I loved this.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Boogoose posted:

It's strange how shows like Game of Thrones get all the critical acclaim and huge budgets, but something that was initially dismissed as 300 The Show packs into one episode more drama and emotion than an entire season the former. The season finales of all three full seasons of Spartacus have easily been the best I have ever seen. Television is there to entertain you after all, and Spartacus definitely did that.

To be fair, Spartacus concentrates on 5-6 characters, all of whom are in the same location the majority of the time. GoT has two dozen characters, all who are in wildly different locations. It's much harder to create all that drama and emotion when each character isn't getting 30 minutes of screen time every episode.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boogoose posted:

I appreciated the historical foreshadowing in the final battle, demonstrating that Crassus is easily tricked into forming testudo in the face of an imminent attack. It's the little details that made this whole series not just a dumb tits-and-gore show, but probably the best action based telly I've seen in a long while.

I've said it earlier, but I think that the low budget works in their favour - they haven't made a TV show, they've made theatre with a CGI stage. Beneath all the fake blood and the choreographed action they've really nailed how to tell an old-fashioned character tragedy in a way that nobody really tells anymore because people want happy endings.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I wasn't crazy about Naevia's new actor, but at the same time I can't picture the original one in this role. On the bright side, I did like her quite a bit in the last few episodes. Her death felt especially tragic to me for some reason. :(

Yeah unlike the other characters she basically dies alone without any to provide comfort in her last few moments since Crixus is gone.

etalian fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 13, 2013

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boogoose posted:

I appreciated the historical foreshadowing in the final battle, demonstrating that Crassus is easily tricked into forming testudo in the face of an imminent attack.

I didn't even notice this. To think that after the first 3-4 episodes of Spartacus that they would make something too subtle for me to notice is crazy. They really need to make an Emmy for Most Improved Show.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Jabbu posted:

At some of the points in that finale, especially the duel against Crassus, Liam seemed to be channeling Russell Crowe's Gladiator.

There was a ton of Braveheart in the battle this episode (though, strangely, less male nudity)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Boogoose posted:

Do not forget how Caesar got Gannicus by having him alone surrounded by enemies.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They really showed the difference between a bunch of idiot Romans dicking around and a fully trained, fully prepared LEGION. The efforts of Spartacus was noble but they were thorn apart.

I don't think i can deal with no more Spartacus. There's simply no other show with this kind of quality. I wasn't even watching this for the boobs and blood, the story, the characters and the dialogue were amazing and i feel spoiled now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oh ya I also like how they made Pompey the worst roman, as his victory was not against the Gladiators, it was against the women and children.

Napy
Oct 18, 2004
Anyone catch this in the IGN DeKnight interview?

DeKnight: Oh, absolutely. Definitely. I think if it goes on, I’ve always felt it would be great to follow the Caesar/Crassus/Pompey storyline. Or, if not that, I always have this little dream in the back of my head of those missing Gannicus years -- Gannicus, the wandering adventurer. Very much a Kane and Kung Fu kind of deal would be awesome.

This needs to happen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just think of all the crazy, tit flashing Spartacus extras now out of a good job, there's no justice in the world.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

etalian posted:

Just think of all the crazy, tit flashing Spartacus extras now out of a good job, there's no justice in the world.

There are still rugby and football games

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mans posted:

They really showed the difference between a bunch of idiot Romans dicking around and a fully trained, fully prepared LEGION. The efforts of Spartacus was noble but they were thorn apart.

I don't think i can deal with no more Spartacus. There's simply no other show with this kind of quality. I wasn't even watching this for the boobs and blood, the story, the characters and the dialogue were amazing and i feel spoiled now.
The poetical dialog alone - Guess I'll have to start reading more.

Napy posted:

Anyone catch this in the IGN DeKnight interview?

DeKnight: Oh, absolutely. Definitely. I think if it goes on, I’ve always felt it would be great to follow the Caesar/Crassus/Pompey storyline. Or, if not that, I always have this little dream in the back of my head of those missing Gannicus years -- Gannicus, the wandering adventurer. Very much a Kane and Kung Fu kind of deal would be awesome.

This needs to happen.
He could have an idea for a 3 part miniseries about a water fountain and I'd trust it to be riveting. Spartacus meets Kung-Fu? Oh goodness

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Giffing goons, can someone do the part where Ceaser is grinning behind a wall of Romans during the unfortunate fight with Gannicus? Of course I think he was a punk and got his butt handed to him... but that smug-face.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Alchenar posted:

[Pompey] was old enough to be Caesar's dad - he was 45 when he got his triumph. That's actually one of the curious things about the Triumvirate - Pompey was old enough to be Caesar's dad but became his son-in-law because of a political marriage they made.

Eh, not really.

115 BC: Birth of Marcus Crassus.
106 BC: Birth of Pompey.
100 BC: Birth of Julius Caesar.

In terms of GIF requests, can we get the shots of the legionaries rotating the front line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

In terms of GIF requests, can we get the shots of the legionaries rotating the front line?

Yeah, wow, I don't know why that move stood out to me, but when it happened it was kind of like "Oh, cool!" It seems like such a common sense thing after the fact, but I'd never seen it before.

tehfox0r posted:

Can anyone tell me who was cast in the bit part as Pompey? Wasn't Pompey in Capua to watch the arena for an episode back in the prequel or season 1, and was rather obese?

Didn't see anyone reply to this, so if they already have, sorry! The actor was (I believe) Joel Tobeck, who's been in a couple of Sam Raimi/Robert Tapert shows. Can't see him as anyone other than the goofy Strife from Hercules and Young Hercules, though...

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 13, 2013

• Locked thread