Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Torael_7 posted:

Someone brought this to my attention today.

The creator was apparently tired of the criticism the SSD gets as a "big boring grey set".

I'll never get sick of looking at this. The little star destroyer ramming the space kraken is my favourite bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The shopgoodwill auction ended.
For $1602.01.

Holy poo poo.

That's basically Bricklink value for Market Street+Cafe Corner+Green Grocer with bricklink-completed partlists. No guarantee that the valuable bits will even be in that lot.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Pyroclastic posted:

The shopgoodwill auction ended.
For $1602.01.

Holy poo poo.

That's basically Bricklink value for Market Street+Cafe Corner+Green Grocer with bricklink-completed partlists. No guarantee that the valuable bits will even be in that lot.
I know. There's also a Fire Brigade in there, which might fetch $125 on the right day with no box or instructions. But no guarantee anything is complete or there's anything else in that lot.

I bid on it a little when it was low, but there's no way I'd go above $1000. The sets are probably complete except for a few random pieces, but you could be out a lot of coin if it's the wrong random pieces. There was a lot of risk there.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Well, this is how the wife and I spent our evening (we both worked on a tower, since you have to build 2 of them):

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mr. Glass posted:

Well, this is how the wife and I spent our evening (we both worked on a tower, since you have to build 2 of them):

Such an awesome set, you should add a Kraken attack to it as well.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
The days of getting a truly good deal from the goodwill auction site are gone. Too many people know about it already. Ebay market is a lot more competitive that a few years ago as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
USA Today running a frontpage business article about "the art of investing in Legos" probably didn't help that!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Examples!

8421 mobile crane, msrp $149, currently goes for about $475 new
8285-1 tow truck, msrp $119, currently goes for about $478 new
8275 motorized bulldozer, msrp $149, currently goes for about $470 new
8448 super street sensation, msrp $129, currently goes for about $350 new.

Going older, the $159 msrp 8480-1 space shuttle is around $360
8880-1 supercar, $129 msrp, currently goes for about $310 new.

Slightly newer, the 8043-1 motorized excavator (2010, msrp $199) is already going for around $245

No doubt 41999 co-creation boss crawler, being a limited edition of 20,000, exclusively at lego, and the first co-creations model, is going to go for big bucks in the future.

It's a shame, those are all so cool, and I'd love to have them in my collection, but $470 for the 8275 motorized bulldozer is just way too much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm sitting on my 3300003 Lego store set for the meanwhile for just that reason.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lizard Combatant posted:

Such an awesome set, you should add a Kraken attack to it as well.

My friend and I used Shelob and some Harry Potter spiders. Shelob likes to eat buses, you see.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

rickiep00h posted:

My friend and I used Shelob and some Harry Potter spiders. Shelob likes to eat buses, you see.

Pictures please.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Thinking of grabbing a Lego City Garbage Truck (4432) to go on my dresser. I've already got a dozen or so of the minifigs on my dresser, so it might be kind of fun to have something a little bigger there.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lizard Combatant posted:

Pictures please.

This was before the Hagrid's Hut spiders, which are exactly large enough to fit across the roadway or the cables. (I had a set and my friend had a set, so we had two of them, plus the assorted baby spiders from those sets as well.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Thinking of grabbing a Lego City Garbage Truck (4432) to go on my dresser. I've already got a dozen or so of the minifigs on my dresser, so it might be kind of fun to have something a little bigger there.

Nice set, unclear why it has recycling logo stickers on it since they have a separate recycling truck set.

I like the trucks, but they do a get a bit same-y after you build a few.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

smackfu posted:

Nice set, unclear why it has recycling logo stickers on it since they have a separate recycling truck set.

I like the trucks, but they do a get a bit same-y after you build a few.

Looking at it and the other set I wouldn't mind having (the Octan City Tanker, 60016) I can see how they all start to be the same.

Frankly, I don't have room for my big sets - some of the older Star Wars ones and a couple of Technic sets. I used to have a bunch more, but a younger brother and all that jazz.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

All microscale builds can be improved with monsters. :)

So I got my own apartment and that meant I could finally bring down my old collection from my parents' place and combine it with my new one! I sorted through most of my old stuff today and now the tip of my left index finger is sore. It was a challenge finding the right number of catergories and estimating the volume of each category. And of course actually sorting stuff into said categories. Like this thing. Hinge piece, window/cockpit or misc?

I'm also realizing it's going to be difficult finding the right plates with my current division between rectangular and non-rectangular. Does anyone have any tips on how to sort plates further? I'm thinking of a breaking point at 4 studs' length.

I may have gone a bit over board with the number of categories but I get some perverse sense of satisfaction from sorting things, so.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I was looking online and I saw a very cool looking Captain America shield! It was adult sized and something I would like very much to build. Is there a website of sorts in which I can find out what pieces I need? Or is something like that people do not post?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I found this today. Looks to be complete, and the controller still works. Has the software, instructions, test pad and USB IR receiver, think it's worth anything?

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 14, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

The Rage posted:

I found this today. Looks to be complete, and the controller still works. Has the software, instructions, test pad and USB IR receiver, think it's worth anything?

You might want to fix that, it's wrecking the tables

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Karnegal posted:

I wish every image over a certain size would just timg itself instantly.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Karnegal posted:

Sorry about that. Uploaded it from my phone so it didn't look hosed up to me.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

This is exactly what I wanted to see. Needs more spiders though!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lizard Combatant posted:

This is exactly what I wanted to see. Needs more spiders though!

I thought I had a shot floating around with all of them, but I'll have search deeper. Maybe I'll have it tomorrow!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Built the garbage truck tonight, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with it for a kind of silly reason. It's kind of nitpicky, but I thought it had two exhaust stacks, not one. It's got the space for two, but the set only comes with one, and there's only one shown in the picture. It's still a fun little build, though; didn't take long and looks good on my shelf.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
drat, the upcoming Hive Crawler from Galaxy Squad has to be one of the absolute coolest, creepiest and most inventive sets Lego has ever done. I can't wait for it to come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtTYFRnodn4

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Joramun posted:

drat, the upcoming Hive Crawler from Galaxy Squad has to be one of the absolute coolest, creepiest and most inventive sets Lego has ever done. I can't wait for it to come out.

Is that a mini Mark 2 it comes with?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Joramun posted:

Hot drat! That walking action looks great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was going to say that the legs themselves look pretty basic, but after seeing it in action, I can forgive that. :3:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Okay, I'd been passing over most of the Galaxy Squad stuff, but that, I will get.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What's the best price I might get the Minecraft set for?

What's the MSRP?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Red posted:

What's the best price I might get the Minecraft set for?

What's the MSRP?

It's available right now on shop.lego.com. $35, and you'll never find it cheaper because people are buying it up and speculating like hell, but Lego's not cooperating with them and they keep producing it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Does anybody work at Walmart or has worked at one before? My local Walmart finally has the Monster Hunter Ghost Train and a few other sets I have been eye balling in the clearance area, though for some reason the sets are marked down about 95cents from the MSRP. Does anybody have an idea when Walmart will mark these down farther in price normally or will this just be the price they sell them at?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm getting the Palace Theater for my birthday (this Wednesday) and it will be my first modular building. I'm pretty excited and was wondering which other ones that are currently available I should pick up?

I was thinking of picking up the Pet Shop one, as it's two buildings in one and will immediately add variety to my street scene, but would it be wiser to buy any of the others before they stop being produced?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I really love how Lego is messing with the speculation market. There are going to be so many Minecraft sets and Fire Brigades in the secondary market. :allears:

Rythe posted:

Does anybody work at Walmart or has worked at one before? My local Walmart finally has the Monster Hunter Ghost Train and a few other sets I have been eye balling in the clearance area, though for some reason the sets are marked down about 95cents from the MSRP. Does anybody have an idea when Walmart will mark these down farther in price normally or will this just be the price they sell them at?

I think that falls to the individual store. Monster Hunters is long gone at both Wal-Marts in my area, but haunts the Target shelves (and probably will for another month or two until the summer waves hit).

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
My area Walmarts and Meijers (and Target I think) have piles of ghost trains, but none have gone on sale yet, which is killing me.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm getting the Palace Theater for my birthday (this Wednesday) and it will be my first modular building. I'm pretty excited and was wondering which other ones that are currently available I should pick up?

I was thinking of picking up the Pet Shop one, as it's two buildings in one and will immediately add variety to my street scene, but would it be wiser to buy any of the others before they stop being produced?

Fire Brigade is currently the oldest, but I hear it is a meh set compared to the other current ones on the market.

Due to the popularity of Green Grocer and the other first three sets (still going for 700+ used), they produced a shitton more FB than the first three, so you'll be able to find them for cheap for quite a while even if they stop being produced.

So just get whichever one you like most. To be honest, Palace Cinema is the best one so far.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Fire brigade is awesome. I would recommend that. You really can't go wrong with any of the ones that are on sale now. Cinema looks amazing from the outside, but the interior is rather unimpressive. Really depends if you get the sets just for display or not.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Wild EEPROM posted:

Going older, the $159 msrp 8480-1 space shuttle is around $360
8880-1 supercar, $129 msrp, currently goes for about $310 new.
The space shuttle was easily my favorite Technic set of all time, so that price sounds pretty reasonable.

Still sore that I never got the supercar though.

The thought of building one of the newer technic sets with almost no brick pieces is weird as hell.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Rage posted:

I'm curious about this as well. I have the same set, never opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm curious about this as well. I have the same set, never opened.

It looks like it's worth about $86-$172