Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Hey, I bought a Sony CMTG2BNIP Hi-Fi Sound System last year http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TOE3X2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

The main reason I bought it was so that I could stream my huge mp3 collection via my wifi. I was wondering whether buying some better speaker cables would improve the sound quality (which I am 90% happy with). Also I am not averse (I'd really like to) buying an amplifier and some better speakers. Does anyone have any advice or a link to send me to? I've tried googling but I feel a bit overwhelmed. Does the fact that I'm streaming music affect the quality? I rip all my CDs with EAC to V0 quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Ted Ed Fred posted:

I was wondering whether buying some better speaker cables would improve the sound quality

Almost certainly not. There are two exceptions:

1) your current cables are broken somehow
2) your current cables are too thin for the lengths you're trying to run

If you want suggestions for a stereo system, a couple bits of info beforehand would be useful. What's your budget, where do you live (US, Europe, somewhere else), what sort of music do you listen to (do you need a subwoofer) and what's the listening space going to be like (small room, huge hall, something else)? Do you want headphones with the system or are speakers enough?

quote:

Does the fact that I'm streaming music affect the quality?

Not directly, but streaming over wi-fi is not a big selling point of stereo stuff. You're limiting yourself considerably if you're only looking at units with that feature.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 3, 2013

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm hoping this is the right thread for this question, but here goes nothing. I have two speakers from an old shelf system, they're from a Panasonic and each speaker has 2 wires coming from it (2 positives and 2 negatives)...

These are the exact speakers and it looks like the radio itself was bi-amped(?If that's a thing?)

^^Google says this is the speaker connections for previously mentioned Panasonic radio.^^

My question is, how can I (if I can) hook these speakers up to my old Onkyo stereo receiver?

The Onkyo only has four terminals where it looks like the Panasonic shelf system had 8 (4 for each speaker). Can I just twist both the positive and negative wires from each speaker together and make them into one? Will this result in fires or destruction of my receiver?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SouthLAnd posted:

The Onkyo only has four terminals where it looks like the Panasonic shelf system had 8 (4 for each speaker). Can I just twist both the positive and negative wires from each speaker together and make them into one? Will this result in fires or destruction of my receiver?

Yes, you could probably safely put them in the same sockets. Try on a low volume first.

Those speakers will still sound like poo poo, though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yes, you could probably safely put them in the same sockets. Try on a low volume first.

Those speakers will still sound like poo poo, though.

Yea, I'm not expecting much. I just had the speakers and receiver in a closet and am looking for something better than the speakers in my 200 dollar K-Mart bedroom LCD TV.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I got a pair of speaker kits from Here and I think they are pretty boss, I'm really happy with them and I think they can go up against some stuff that is much more expensive.
I need to get them on some speaker stands but I have no clue on what ones to get or where to start, especially for speakers that are 50 lbs each. I need to be about 2 feet or more off of the ground. How would such stands attach to the speakers, screws, bolts, happy thoughts?

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I got a pair of speaker kits from Here and I think they are pretty boss, I'm really happy with them and I think they can go up against some stuff that is much more expensive.
I need to get them on some speaker stands but I have no clue on what ones to get or where to start, especially for speakers that are 50 lbs each. I need to be about 2 feet or more off of the ground. How would such stands attach to the speakers, screws, bolts, happy thoughts?

Since you seem to like doing DIY stuff, why not make a couple of these? They're pretty dead simple to make, very sturdy, fairly cheap and you can make them exactly to your height requirements.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Jadius posted:

Since you seem to like doing DIY stuff, why not make a couple of these? They're pretty dead simple to make, very sturdy, fairly cheap and you can make them exactly to your height requirements.

Oh man those look pretty cool. I really wish I had the time to actually do that though. The speaker kits I got were very simple and the cabinets were already made, if I had time I would have made them.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Getting it off the ground and fiddling a bit with the tone control made big improvements, I think getting it off of the ground was key on this thing.

Well back to this, I think I was kidding myself a bit on placement, might have just been the content to make me think it sounded better. It still sounds like poo poo. I put it on the left and right channels to make sure my amp wasn't doing something funky, checked the cables over and over. My new kits that I got above sounds above and beyond this B&W.
I placed my ear to each driver and they both sound vastly different from each other. I even switched ears to make sure I wasn't catching some of the tweeter and even stood it on one end and the other with the same ear to make sure. They are definitely different sounding.
I called B&W to see if they ran a different crossover for each driver and was told that, no, they should both have the same signal.
I've opened it up and the wires appear to be in their correct position. This is a real bummer since I got it for a decent price, but eBay is a bitch sometimes. I'm currently waiting for the seller's response. If this can be cheaply fixed, I'd be down to do that, but I wouldn't know where to begin, but I'll return it if I need to.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Aeka 2.0 posted:

They are definitely different sounding.

Definitely sounds like one of the drivers is broken. I was thinking maybe one of the metallic S-shaped pieces in the back was somehow busted, but since you tried both channels separately it can't be that.

The part number for a new bass driver in CMC is ZZ12254. Goes for $115 (retail) according to this:

http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/parts/partslist-bw

Parts aren't usually sold directly to customers either, so you'll have to get it serviced somewhere.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/store/international_search.html

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Hob_Gadling posted:

Definitely sounds like one of the drivers is broken. I was thinking maybe one of the metallic S-shaped pieces in the back was somehow busted, but since you tried both channels separately it can't be that.

The part number for a new bass driver in CMC is ZZ12254. Goes for $115 (retail) according to this:

http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/parts/partslist-bw

Parts aren't usually sold directly to customers either, so you'll have to get it serviced somewhere.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/store/international_search.html

What I mean is I put the whole unit on the left and right amp channels, I didn't test each driver individually, but I might as well do that. Thanks for the part numbers.

edit: I tested the drivers out of the cabinet directly to the receiver, they both sound the same. At one point I had them both out but connected to the crossover to see if they both moved, and they do, but that was before I noticed the sound difference. So either one driver doesn't work when shoved in the cabinet or something is wrong with the crossover? I really don't know. How much movement will the other driver have if it isn't working in the cabinet?

edit2: ok tested them out of the cabinet again with the crossover, they sound different, so it's narrowed to the crossover. It was a bit hard to see, but it looks like each driver has its own output, so I can see how one would fail and not affect the other.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 9, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Just to be sure, when you say "tested with crossover" what bit do you mean? The metal piece between the 5-way binding posts, the crossover board, something else?

By "crossover board" I mean this bit (may look slightly different, this is from 800 series):

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Crossover board.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

-Inu- posted:

So I'm getting this horrible EMF interference through my speakers and I have no clue how to fix it. There's a constant hum and every time I move my mouse I can hear it through the speakers. I'm using a USB audio interface connected to an amp which is powering a set of studio monitors. I also have headphones connected to the same interface and do NOT get any interference through them. The amp is connected with balanced TRS cables, I've tried different USB ports, and I've tried plugging the amp into a power strip and directly into the wall. I'm guessing it has to be the amp but I'm clueless as to how to fix it. It's an older amp and doesn't have a separate ground on it or anything...any advice?

edit: Nevermind. Tried it on my laptop and it worked fine. Guess I've got an issue with motherboard shielding or grounding somewhere.

If your mouse has a selectable polling rate, try changing it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SouthLAnd posted:

Yea, I'm not expecting much. I just had the speakers and receiver in a closet and am looking for something better than the speakers in my 200 dollar K-Mart bedroom LCD TV.

The speakers have no internal crossover, instead crossover duties are handled within the guts of the amp. This is why there are separate terminals for the mids/highs and another for the woofer.

If you hook the Onkyo amp to the speakers, its going to pass full range content to each driver group, forcing the tweeters to play bass, and the woofers to play treble. Also the impedance will be affected. Depending how you hook the wires up, you will either double or half the impedance.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have this 18 year old marvel of technology hanging around gathering dust:
http://imgur.com/v7oLrXw
I want to get rid of it. The speakers aren't salvageable; they connect with bare wires colored black and red that come from the main thing. What's proper disposal in this case? Just put it by the side of the road with the garbage, take it to Best Buy, or something else?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I heard Best Buy does electronics recycling so I guess that'd be an option, maybe call before to make sure. Otherwise just look up electronics recycling places around you and see if they'll take it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your city or county may have electronics recycling. You could also donate it to Goodwill if it's working.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

japtor posted:

I heard Best Buy does electronics recycling so I guess that'd be an option, maybe call before to make sure. Otherwise just look up electronics recycling places around you and see if they'll take it.

Your local dump/waste transfer station should have a receptacle for electronics.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

japtor posted:

I heard Best Buy does electronics recycling so I guess that'd be an option, maybe call before to make sure.
My local one definitely does, I've used it in the past. Just wanted to make sure there was no specialized service I should run it through, or any part of that was somehow useful to somebody.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CapnAndy posted:

My local one definitely does, I've used it in the past. Just wanted to make sure there was no specialized service I should run it through, or any part of that was somehow useful to somebody.

You might want to check in first, just in case they won't take anything that big. I don't know what Best Buy's policies are but I do know that some retailers won't take anything bigger than a phone/portable device for recycling. Or, I guess, take the radio over and just be prepared to take it elsewhere (like Goodwill) if they won't let you drop it off there.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a simple stereo setup in a new room that is much larger than I have had a stereo in before. Previously, I was sitting much closer to the speakers.

The distance between the speakers is ~5ft midpoint to midpoint. The sitting position is close to 11ft away from the front of the speakers. Do I need to find a way to move the speakers farther apart?

I can't discern which speaker is creating which sound, and the um... atmosphere or presence or whatever you want to call it is pretty weak. This room also has 10ft ceilings, so perhaps that is not helping?

The problem is the speakers are both on the same low and wide piece of furniture and at opposite ends already. I can't get them farther apart without finding some other furniture to put them on and moving a chair and peeing of the wife and... :/

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can angle them out somewhat. Hard to say though without a good idea of what the room looks like. What you describe doesn't sound like a particularly extreme layout. Maybe you need some sound dampening on the walls, possibly echos are muddling the sound.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The taller ceiling is a good thing, as it delays early reflections a bit. Low ceilings can cause early reflections that can cancel out bass frequencies.

As for the larger area, , either move the listening position closer or get the speakers wider. Also you may find you need to listen at a louder volume to get the same impact. Often the perception of loudness and frequency sensitivity goes down in a larger airspace.

Maybe consider some speaker stands ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 21, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I have a weird situation with interference that's really confusing me.

I have a set of speakers hooked up to a monitor via 3.5mm headphone jack, and the monitor is in turn hooked up via displayport to a macbook air. This set-up is ok and doesn't give me any major issues except for a persistent and somewhat loud buzzing through the speakers. I've learned to live with it.

Hooking up the speakers via 3.5mm cable directly to the headphone jack of the macbook air gets rid of the buzzing entirely and is almost the ideal set-up. The only problem is that I also have a walking treadmill at my desk, and whenever that is operational, there's an even louder and annoying buzzing through the speakers. The really odd thing is that it only occurs if the monitor is both powered and hooked up via displayport. Having it powered alone causes no buzzing through the speakers. I've moved the treadmill to another wall socket and that didn't do anything.

I'm more confused as to why the treadmill would cause interference with the speakers, but only if the monitor is on, even though there's no direct connection between the speakers and the monitor.

Help?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Ground loops are a pain in the rear end: https://://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

I wish I could be more helpful, but that's a start on your problem.

edit: Here is an odd request, if you have cable, disconnect it from anything and everything in your house and see if that does anything. I used to have a problem with cable giving me a buzz because it was going to an un grounded device that messed with anything and everything. I think I ended up having to use some kind of isolator.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 23, 2013

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
We are under contract on a new house. 3br/2ba - other areas include a livingroom, dining room, kitchen, and family room. We are currently in a much smaller house with a similar number of zones.

I have always wanted whole-house audio. I finally have the means to afford it. Sadly, I am now old enough to realize that once I install it, and spend one Saturday afternoon dancing from room to room, with all of the speakers jamming the same song - that we will never use it again.

Can anybody with whole-house audio chime in on this?

Also, whole-house audio anecdotes welcome.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 24, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Not me, but a friend -- they had whole-house intercoms and the father used to play whatever he wanted over all the intercoms and it drove everyone apeshit.

The kids used to have intercom arguments and it drove everyone apeshit.

Summary: apeshit

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It would be nice to crank up some Anal oval office - I respect your feelings as a woman.mp3 over the entire house when the ol' lady invites the loving hens over.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

I have always wanted whole-house audio.

This is just as useless as wiring every TV in your house to take input from every console and A/V device, then realizing you still have to be near the devices for controllers and remotes to work.

A cheaper alternative: buy an iPod.

Maybe if you have a multi-storey house and you could build a balcony on the second level inside the house? Then you could give rousing speeches and everyone in the house would hear them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
AirTunes is a lot more flexible than wiring up whole-house audio, especially since iTunes can stream to multiple points at once.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

This is just as useless as wiring every TV in your house to take input from every console and A/V device, then realizing you still have to be near the devices for controllers and remotes to work.
My Onkyo receiver has an iOS app so I can control it from anywhere. Not terribly useful for me, but it's only a mid-range unit, so I'd imagine higher-end ones would have similar.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could also do a Sonos setup. It's pricey, but I'm thinking less so than running wires everywhere.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
My TV is doing a bunch of flashy weird poo poo when I'm using my PS3. Dropouts and psychedlic color things. It's not happening on any other inputs, so it's likely the HDMI cable or maybe the PS3, but probably not the receiver, right? It's the Onkyo nr818.

Edit: might be the wrong thread, sorry. I was worried about my receiver since it's the only brand new thing in the setup, but I guess this is more of a video question.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here's a question:

I don't have an amp for my two new subwoofers I'm building.

My receiver is 7.2 channel powered, and has preouts for 11.2 channels.

My speaker system is 5.0 configured and with the subs will be 5.2

Is there a way that I could run the sub preouts to RCa inputs for the two spare amplified channels, and then power the subs using those L & R rear channels ?

This would just be temporary, but I figure with 135watts per channel (peak) and 4ohm stable, the receiver should be able to power the subs at least to moderate listening levels.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

My TV is doing a bunch of flashy weird poo poo when I'm using my PS3. Dropouts and psychedlic color things. It's not happening on any other inputs, so it's likely the HDMI cable or maybe the PS3, but probably not the receiver, right? It's the Onkyo nr818.

Edit: might be the wrong thread, sorry. I was worried about my receiver since it's the only brand new thing in the setup, but I guess this is more of a video question.

I've seen that too many times with 360s, right before they die.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

jonathan posted:

Here's a question:
Is there a way that I could run the sub preouts to RCa inputs for the two spare amplified channels, and then power the subs using those L & R rear channels ?

This would just be temporary, but I figure with 135watts per channel (peak) and 4ohm stable, the receiver should be able to power the subs at least to moderate listening levels.

Is it something like this you want to do?

If you have zone2/zone3 capabilities that should work ok, just set the appropriate input to zone2 or whichever and turn zone2 on. If you don't, I'm not sure that what you want to do is possible, unless you have 8ch inputs on the receiver and 6ch/8ch outputs from your device.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

parasyte posted:

Is it something like this you want to do?

If you have zone2/zone3 capabilities that should work ok, just set the appropriate input to zone2 or whichever and turn zone2 on. If you don't, I'm not sure that what you want to do is possible, unless you have 8ch inputs on the receiver and 6ch/8ch outputs from your device.

Hrmmmm. Forgot about zone 2. Its a Onkyo 818. I will have to look into that some more.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I need a decent Bluetooth speaker for the bathroom. It doesn't have to be anything special, just decent sound and the ability to plug into the wall, don't wanna mess with batteries. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BusinessWallet posted:

I need a decent Bluetooth speaker for the bathroom. It doesn't have to be anything special, just decent sound and the ability to plug into the wall, don't wanna mess with batteries. Any ideas?
If nothing else there's no shortage of choices, last I looked around there were a bunch in the $30-50 range. I think most are portable, but many of those can just be kept powered with a standard USB power brick (if not some other regular power adapter). If you have an electronics store nearby they'll hopefully have a decent selection that you can check out yourself.