Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

kstatix posted:

Okay, I got the backup to show and I'm now using es file manager but when I try to move a backup folder it says it cannot be moved. I went into settings to allow root access but its weird, super user never popped up with the dialog box for granting root access.

I think I ran into this issue when I tried to do it a few weeks ago. Try creating a new folder in your destination with the same name, then copy the files from the folder rather than trying to copy the folder itself. I don't know why but there seems to be an issue copying the folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I was trying to root my mother's 1st Gen Kindle Fire earlier, and now that I've booted it off, it won't respond to me pressing the power button at all. It doesn't even bother to light the button up, it's just off entirely. Did I brick the drat thing? :(

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Demostrs posted:

So, I was trying to root my mother's 1st Gen Kindle Fire earlier, and now that I've booted it off, it won't respond to me pressing the power button at all. It doesn't even bother to light the button up, it's just off entirely. Did I brick the drat thing? :(

Does it have a removable battery?

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
No. I'm going to see if the Unbrick Utility will fix it, if not I may have to contact Amazon and see if their kind enough to replace it, even though flashing a new recovery would void the warranty.

Edit: Is there any way to force a boot in Windows or recognize a device that's off in ADB, because I really can't seem to get this thing back on :smith:

Edit 2: Holy poo poo, Amazon just said they actually WOULD replace the Kindle :aaa:

Best company 2013

Demostrs fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 13, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Ok, I've been trawling XDA for some (seemingly) simple answers but its a whole bunch of "CHECK THE STICKIES/SEARCH THE FORUMS", both of which do not seem to contain what I need to know:

Is there some sure-fire, fool proof way to check if you're bootloader is unlocked? Not a method specific to a certain device, but a general way of telling.

I have an off-brand Chinese tablet which just hit the market (Primal p9x) and there is no documentation or roms/support for it. So i've been kinda going at it on my own.

Basically, is there anyway to know if CWM will load onto an unknown device? Is there some CWM compatability list? A way to make it compatible for your specific device? Drawing blanks.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think I ran into this issue when I tried to do it a few weeks ago. Try creating a new folder in your destination with the same name, then copy the files from the folder rather than trying to copy the folder itself. I don't know why but there seems to be an issue copying the folder.

Tried this as well. Keep getting an operation failed message whenever I try to create a new folder on my jump drive. I'm using stickmount to mount it and it has superuser access as well. Why does this have to be so difficult?!

Thanks for your help so far.

E: I would pay $10 for an app that can take my cwm image backup and upload it to my Box account. Anyone?

kstatix fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 13, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Gozinbulx posted:

Ok, I've been trawling XDA for some (seemingly) simple answers but its a whole bunch of "CHECK THE STICKIES/SEARCH THE FORUMS", both of which do not seem to contain what I need to know:

Is there some sure-fire, fool proof way to check if you're bootloader is unlocked? Not a method specific to a certain device, but a general way of telling.

I have an off-brand Chinese tablet which just hit the market (Primal p9x) and there is no documentation or roms/support for it. So i've been kinda going at it on my own.

Basically, is there anyway to know if CWM will load onto an unknown device? Is there some CWM compatability list? A way to make it compatible for your specific device? Drawing blanks.

This would be one of the reasons why people told you not to buy a chinese shame box.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

kstatix posted:

Tried this as well. Keep getting an operation failed message whenever I try to create a new folder on my jump drive. I'm using stickmount to mount it and it has superuser access as well. Why does this have to be so difficult?!

Thanks for your help so far.

E: I would pay $10 for an app that can take my cwm image backup and upload it to my Box account. Anyone?

I'm pretty sure ES File Explorer can connect to Box so you could try uploading it through there. You might have to move it to /sdcard first though.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

The Gadfly posted:

You don't need to install a custom ROM to do all three of those things. Just install a custom launcher on your current stock ROM. Try installing Lightning Launcher from the Play store, it will do 2 and 3.

If you still want a custom ROM with s-pen features, you would have to find one that's based on Touchwiz. You can try one of the ones under "TW based JB ROMs":
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1847786

Thanks for the hint, I'll get it downloaded and give it a try.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

This would be one of the reasons why people told you not to buy a chinese shame box.

Or I can be the first.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Gozinbulx posted:

Or I can be the first.

You're not going to get very far in porting CWM to your device without Linux knowledge, to probe at the device, and programming knowledge, to actually bring it up. That said it's probably not very different from other Exynos 4412 devices.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Gozinbulx posted:

Or I can be the first.

Or you could have bought a device with support of some kind. I probably unlocked, rooted and installed CM10.1 on my Nexus 7 in less time than it took you to write all these posts about your Placemat P9X.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My buddy lost a lot of weight on P9X .

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm pretty sure ES File Explorer can connect to Box so you could try uploading it through there. You might have to move it to /sdcard first though.

Don't see any cloud options within ES. I tried moving the backup image folder to a directory that does not require root access and then uploading from box but the box app is telling me the folder is too large. I'm guessing I'm going to have to get this whole backup-to-usb method working. For some reason I can't get my n7 to write to the jump drive at all. This is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

kstatix posted:

Don't see any cloud options within ES.

Swipe the screen to either side to go between local storage, smb, sftp, box/gdrive/etc

edit: Box.com web interface on a pc has given me size restriction errors when trying to upload something big since I don't pay for box. I just now tried uploading with ES a 740mb tar file and it started going up with no errors.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 13, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I shouldn't get things because others haven't already done the work for me. Real innovators, you guys.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gozinbulx posted:

So I shouldn't get things because others haven't already done the work for me. Real innovators, you guys.
Most people do not buy tablets because they want to innovate. If you do, that's cool, but nobody here is going to be able to help you much. If we want a rootable tablet we buy a Nexus specifically because it doesn't require any experimentation.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Do you even know if it has a recovery partition? Some devices simply don't.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm trying to install TWRP 2.5.0.0 on my Sprint GNex (got a refurb so I unlocked bootloader and rooted as far as I know) however when loading the recovery I get the android with a red triangle screen. I reinstalled TWRP through fastboot again and it seemed to be alright but it's not working :(

How am I supposed to fix this.

Edit: As much as I hate using toolkits, I ended up using one just to install CWM Recovery. That worked at least.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 13, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Do you even know if it has a recovery partition? Some devices simply don't.

Yes, I've already booted into recovery with the old "hold down the volume button plus power button" trick. It is android recovery 3e, which I cant find too much about. really, i only want CWM to backup my rom and see what I can derive about it. Im convinced this machine is identical you any exynos 4412 tablet minus maybe the wifi libs and a few other things. I just need to know WHICH machine it is, so I can see what people are doing with it.

Since I've posted though, i found a CWM building guide which doesnt seem out of this world. I have some experience with linux to im gonna give it a shot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I'm trying to install TWRP 2.5.0.0 on my Sprint GNex (got a refurb so I unlocked bootloader and rooted as far as I know) however when loading the recovery I get the android with a red triangle screen. I reinstalled TWRP through fastboot again and it seemed to be alright but it's not working :(

How am I supposed to fix this.

Edit: As much as I hate using toolkits, I ended up using one just to install CWM Recovery. That worked at least.
You know that stock Android rewrites the stock recovery on boot, right?

Gozinbulx posted:

Yes, I've already booted into recovery with the old "hold down the volume button plus power button" trick. It is android recovery 3e, which I cant find too much about. really, i only want CWM to backup my rom and see what I can derive about it. Im convinced this machine is identical you any exynos 4412 tablet minus maybe the wifi libs and a few other things. I just need to know WHICH machine it is, so I can see what people are doing with it.

Since I've posted though, i found a CWM building guide which doesnt seem out of this world. I have some experience with linux to im gonna give it a shot.
Do you know about this?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

There's no general way to tell as there's no general bootloader. Bootloaders on Android devices can be entirely different from each other. Generally they follow along platform lines (uboot for OMAP, Qualcomm whatevers for Snapdragon, etc.) but may also be customized by the device manufacturer as well.

The only Exynos devices I'm familiar with are Samsung-branded ones, but traditionally Samsung bootloaders are unlocked and you can flash arbitrary software images with Odin. If the bootloader is locked, there's no way to unlock it short of some very-device-specific hackery.

Gozinbulx posted:

Basically, is there anyway to know if CWM will load onto an unknown device?
The answer is almost always "no". At minimum, you'd need a CWM build that has a kernel that's compatible with your device. Unless the device itself is very close to another supported device (i.e., same model phone but for a different branded carrier) chances are the kernel won't boot. Beyond that it's recommended to source-build CWM with device-specific paths and any other customization that might need to be done.

Gozinbulx posted:

It's fine to pickup a less-well supported device and take up the task on your own. However, keep in mind that most folks who do so already have fairly extensive systems engineering experience and/or have already cut their teeth on a better supported (or at least, better known) device. The double whammy of inexperience and dealing with an unsupported, realtively unknown device, is really a bit much.

Furthermore, the Exynos 4 line is one that has casued a lot of grief for device hackers. At best, it's basically an Exynos tablet rebadged and there's kernel sources available and you might be able to build something that, with luck, basically installs and doesn't fuckup. Or the device might be succeptible to the Exynos brick bug and you may quickly end up with a paper weight.

But the first thing to do is to try to locate kernel sources for your specific device model, as riff-raff Chinese manufactures have not been known for fulfilling their obligations here. And even then, the next bit would be to make sure you can actually build a kernel that reasonably matches what's on the device, as the Exynos 4 line has had a sad history of releasing kernel sources that hardly match what actually ships on the device.

Gozinbulx posted:

Yes, I've already booted into recovery with the old "hold down the volume button plus power button" trick.
That doesn't mean it has a separate recovery partition. For example, the Exynos Galaxy S II line has a combined boot/recovey kernel partition. So if you jack up a recovery build, you have to go into Odin and reflash a good kernel in order to make the device bootable again. Note there's a chicken and egg problem here too: unless there happens to be a full firmware image of the device already (of the Odin .tar.md5 variety), you're going to have to make the dump yourself, and do it without flashing a new recovery, since you need the stock recovery image to hack it.

Gozinbulx posted:

Im convinced this machine is identical you any exynos 4412 tablet minus maybe the wifi libs and a few other things.
Exynos 4412 machines are hardly identical to each other. Please don't make assumptions based on common sense or what "seems reasonable", as there's nothing reasonable about the engineering of the Exynos 4.

LastInLine posted:

You know that stock Android rewrites the stock recovery on boot, right?
It only does this once an OTA update is applied for the first time (although it rewrites on every subsequent boot). Even then, I believe it doesn't happens on these special Exynos devices that have a shared boot/recovery partition anyways.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 13, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thank you for that very informative post. I definitely have alot to think about. I hope you dont mind me picking your brain if i decide to embark on some of this.

I'm hearing alot about this Odin but am not sure, is it device specific? as fas i understand, you connect your device to the computer, put on USB debugging mode (I imagine) and this software will flash your machine and maybe even dump it. I imagine also you need at least the device-specific drivers for your phone-to-pc connection.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
So my EVO 3D is giving me battery trouble again: http://pastebin.com/051BzqwB (BBS Info)

Am I right in assuming it's the WiFi being bothersome again? :ohdear:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Hello

I have an older phone I wish to root.
It is an HTC Panache. It's the Canadian version of the phone better known as the T Mobile Mytouch4g.
Model number is ADR6101MOB
It is running it's latest software (gingerbread), which makes rooting it much more difficult than with other devices.
I've tried VISIONary and Gingerbreak but still can't achieve temp root. VISIONary just goes to black screen, and using su in terminal emulator doesn't work. Gingerbreak stays on the "working" screen, and then it says it failed but it doesn't know why.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to update my Sprint SGS3 to hopefully stop it from bugging me about an OTA every couple minutes. It is rooted, and I applied an earlier update to 4.1.2, this is what I'm running right now:

Has anyone tried this update to MC3? I found it linked from xda, though not finding much feedback besides "sweet bro, first".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Recently got a Galaxy S Blaze 4G and am going to root it in a bit. Does anyone else have this phone? I'm reading the CM10 mod is still plagued by the battery drain death thing. Does the Paranoid Android ROM suffer the same thing?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm looking to update my Sprint SGS3 to hopefully stop it from bugging me about an OTA every couple minutes. It is rooted, and I applied an earlier update to 4.1.2, this is what I'm running right now:

Has anyone tried this update to MC3? I found it linked from xda, though not finding much feedback besides "sweet bro, first".
MB1 is the latest official build but I'm running MC3 from that link right now with no issues.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
This is probably a long shot but is it possible to get the jelly bean keyboard on my desire?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Solly posted:

This is probably a long shot but is it possible to get the jelly bean keyboard on my desire?

Kii is based on the 4.2 keyboard. Not sure how far back it's compatible, though.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I hope this isn't a doozy:

Shortly after I woke up this morning, while still on the Smart Dock, my Galaxy Note 2 (Sprint) running Synergy r51 restarted and got caught in a boot loop. I tried taking the battery out, and clearing the cache. Still nothing, so I did a backup of everything in TWRP. I believe it worked at that, but since I had wiped everything I tried Synergy r53 out.

Then I went into Titanium to try to restore info from a nandroid since it had been about 2 weeks since my last one. I didn't tell it to restore the previous androidID at this point. But as soon as I picked the nandroid I just backed up, all the info was blank: nothing was listed.

So I went back in TWRP and checked to see if would miraculously boot if I restored it: nope.

Once again I checked to see if it would read anything in Titanium after restoring r53: still nothing there.

Would it work to once again restore my r51 backup in TWRP, and try to do an ADB backup from the PC while in TWRP, or is that something that has to be done while the ROM is fully loaded?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

uapyro posted:

I hope this isn't a doozy:

Shortly after I woke up this morning, while still on the Smart Dock, my Galaxy Note 2 (Sprint) running Synergy r51 restarted and got caught in a boot loop. I tried taking the battery out, and clearing the cache. Still nothing, so I did a backup of everything in TWRP. I believe it worked at that, but since I had wiped everything I tried Synergy r53 out.

Then I went into Titanium to try to restore info from a nandroid since it had been about 2 weeks since my last one. I didn't tell it to restore the previous androidID at this point. But as soon as I picked the nandroid I just backed up, all the info was blank: nothing was listed.

So I went back in TWRP and checked to see if would miraculously boot if I restored it: nope.

Once again I checked to see if it would read anything in Titanium after restoring r53: still nothing there.

Would it work to once again restore my r51 backup in TWRP, and try to do an ADB backup from the PC while in TWRP, or is that something that has to be done while the ROM is fully loaded?
Why wouldn't you just restore the nandroid you have of the phone when it worked?

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
For those of you on current (or at least more modern) Android. I've been away since 2.2.2 with a Motorola Atrix, and at the time I had problems with ringtones and alert sounds that required root and then moving them into system protected folders. If you kept them on the SD card (or even the weird partition the Atrix did that 'thought' it was an SD card), you would get a random mp3 chosen each reboot as it 'lost track' of which file was where, I guess.

Is this still a thing today?

EDIT: Asking as I'm looking at hopping back onboard with the GS4

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DKWildz posted:

For those of you on current (or at least more modern) Android. I've been away since 2.2.2 with a Motorola Atrix, and at the time I had problems with ringtones and alert sounds that required root and then moving them into system protected folders. If you kept them on the SD card (or even the weird partition the Atrix did that 'thought' it was an SD card), you would get a random mp3 chosen each reboot as it 'lost track' of which file was where, I guess.

Is this still a thing today?

EDIT: Asking as I'm looking at hopping back onboard with the GS4
That wasn't even a problem back in Eclair, just putting a file in the proper location on SD card would have it show up and work properly. That location, by the way, was /media/[alarm/ringtone/notification]. It still works the same way now and it works fine even though SD cards are dumb.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

LastInLine posted:

That wasn't even a problem back in Eclair, just putting a file in the proper location on SD card would have it show up and work properly. That location, by the way, was /media/[alarm/ringtone/notification]. It still works the same way now and it works fine even though SD cards are dumb.

Perhaps it was a Motorola only thing at the time, but I remember making the correct folders. It wasn't so much that the mp3's didn't show up when in the sound options, it was just that if you selected 'A.mp3', after rebooting, it could be A, B, C, or D that are in the same folder. I understand if it sounds a little weird, but I remember rejoicing when I finally got SuperOneClick and was able to get around it

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Why wouldn't you just restore the nandroid you have of the phone when it worked?

r51 worked when it was wiped, but r53 added some features I liked and since it was wiped I went ahead and started fresh.

The last nandroid I made was well over a month ago, but the last titanium backup was about 2 weeks.

I ran r51 for a while, probably since it was released, but never actually made a working nandroid of it; it was just out of the blue that it got caught in a "boot loop". On the Smart Dock it kept restarting, but once off of it, it just got stuck at the Samsung screen forever.

Hopefully I made that clear, but if not here's a TLDR:
r51 worked great for a long time, out of the blue it dies a horrendous death; made titanium backup 2 weeks ago, but last working nandroid was month+, and I'd like to get back data back if possible from the non-working nandroid made this morning.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Titanium backup doesn't store data on the SD card partition you should be able to restore your newest TB on any ROM you flash.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

Titanium backup doesn't store data on the SD card partition you should be able to restore your newest TB on any ROM you flash.

I guess putting it across a few posts might be confusing so I'll put it all together coherently.

I have a Note 2 (Sprint) that was running Synergy r51 since around March 15th. The last full Titanium Backup was from about the 30th of March. I can't remember the exact date of the last full nandroid but it's been around early March.

This morning my phone was sitting on it's Samsung Smart Dock and it was on the "dock" screen that has the time moving around every few seconds. I was reaching for the phone and saw it restart before I even touched it, and got caught in a boot loop. Once I took it off of the dock, it rebooted one more time, and then got stuck on the Samsung screen. I tried taking the battery out, and then restarting; stuck on Samsung again. So I cleared the dalvik/cache just as something else to try, and restarted again; stuck on Samsung again.

I realized I was going to have to do a factory reset at this point since nothing was helping, so I made a nandroid of the now not working ROM (r51) since every time in the past I was able to get Titanium to extract from nandroid. The factory reset fixed it, but since r53 was just released, I went ahead and installed it to be up to date.

Now I got r53 up and running, and I went to Titanium. It asked me if I wanted to restore the previous device ID, but I declined. Then I went to extract the info from nandroid, I picked the appropriate TWRP nandroid, and after "analyzing TWRP backup" nothing is there; it's all blank.

I go and do a nandroid of the now working r53 ROM, and then restore r51 hoping it might work; no luck.

So I restore r53 again, and try Titanium, and it's still blank for the r51 nandroid.

Now here's the question:

If I once again restore the non-working r51 ROM, and then go into TWRP, would ADB Backup work from in there, or would it have to have a ROM fully loaded to backup data? Then I could just use the setting under "extract from nandroid backup" and go for "extract from ADB backup" in Titanium instead.

I'd like to get my data back from the last 2 weeks since I last did a Titanium Backup if at all possible.

I would go ahead and try it, but I've been waiting for the battery to charge enough to feel safe doing it.

Edit:
Now that I look at it more closely, it was ADB sideload that I saw in TWRP instead of full ADB support;

Any clue why no data would be seen from the r51 nandroid that I did in TWRP; would it have anything to do with me not restoring the previous device ID?

Or any other options besides it's lost since it won't boot on the backed up r51 at all any more?

Last edit:

Titanium couldn't read the files since I checked the "compress" option. Restoring the old backup, backing it up again uncompressed got Titanium able to read everything.

uapyro fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 15, 2013

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

datajosh posted:

MB1 is the latest official build but I'm running MC3 from that link right now with no issues.

Does Talkback turn itself on any time you restart? Does anyone know how to squash that behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
What's with the last two nightlies for the GNex being labeled EXPERIMENTAL? I know they usually do EXPERIMENTAL-M3 or whatever for the monthly builds, but there's been several of these randomly nightlies listed as experimental the past few weeks.