Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

kansas posted:

Curious - where did you hear this rumor? Didn't see anything about it on FT / TB?

Actually saw it on FT in one of the CK threads. It's apparently experimental now on select CKs. I am not sure if I got chosen or not but my upgrade rate has been 100% this year with the exception of a time I booked a flight ~3 hrs before takeoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Belldandy posted:

Actually saw it on FT in one of the CK threads. It's apparently experimental now on select CKs. I am not sure if I got chosen or not but my upgrade rate has been 100% this year with the exception of a time I booked a flight ~3 hrs before takeoff.
A lot of EXPs on FT have been reporting 100%. In fact, I was at 100% for the year until a recent MIA-LAX run, but the premium cabins were completely sold out before the upgrade window even opened.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Not well. My travel has been very stunted this year. Which has some very positive impacts to things like my home life, my health, and my ability to keep up with my friends. But it is almost the end of March and I only have 23,000 miles with no trips planned. drat it, I need at least 50k to get Gold! I got Platinum on Delta last year and now I'm barely using it.

Yeah, I haven't been anywhere on a month and I'm getting antsy so I'm taking on new topics that will get me on the road more. Plus there's some potential stuff coming down the pipeline so hopefully this will resolve itself for me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I hit status on Via Rail (which isn't as lame as it sounds, their point redemption rates are pretty decent) but I don't think I'll hit anything decent airline wise; too many deep discount segments, and they're all short hops. I should probably leave this thread in shame.

I do have a three Dash segment day coming up, though :unsmith:

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Pretty excited to be heading up to Anchorage, AK next week. Could have taken Alaska from Orange County, but I would like to take advantage of Southwest's double Rapid Rewards promotion going on right now (which also count for tier earning- thinking about getting a credit card, from which the welcome bonus also counts towards tier.. I and my gf want that Companion Pass!), so I'm flying SNA to SEA with Southwest, and from SEA to Anchorage with Alaska, and the same back home.

I travel relatively often (out of town about two weeks out of the month), but my travel is always fly in on Monday and fly out on Thursday/Friday. I don't know if I could handle all the logistical hassles of taking lots of short 1-2 day trips like some of you. I like to think that my situation is the happy medium, I suppose.

Nifty fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 27, 2013

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

sink the biz posted:

I'm stuck doing the weekly grind between NYC and DC, so I've only got enough to renew silver so far. I've got a couple of trips to Asia coming up, so hopefully enough to renew Gold. I may have to do some mileage runs to maintain Platinum if my DC project goes on for the rest of the year. Bleh.

Do you actually fly that? Because Acela, man, it's the best.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

TheLizard posted:

Do you actually fly that? Because Acela, man, it's the best.

Yup, Delta Shuttle all the way. I prefer Delta SkyMiles over the Acela loyalty program and plus I get really motion sick on the train.

Also, you can't GDIFC on the Acela. :cool:

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

sink the biz posted:

Also, you can't GDIFC on the Acela. :cool:

I beg to differ ;)

Free Dogfish Head 90 minute IPAs? Yes please.

But yeah, motion sickness would definitely be a deal breaker.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm just going to come in here and be excited/brag a little because I'm sure my friends are sick of it and you guys can deflate my head with your awesome trips. I landed in Philly today after a trip out to Portland, OR and when I turned on my phone I found out my trip to Germany got extended and San Diego is now confirmed. So in a week I'll be flying to Munich to work there for a week, then taking the train to Frankfurt and working there for a week, then flying home out of Frankfurt. Pretty excited, Germany is probably the last of the major Western European countries I haven't been to.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lyon posted:

I'm just going to come in here and be excited/brag a little because I'm sure my friends are sick of it and you guys can deflate my head with your awesome trips. I landed in Philly today after a trip out to Portland, OR and when I turned on my phone I found out my trip to Germany got extended and San Diego is now confirmed. So in a week I'll be flying to Munich to work there for a week, then taking the train to Frankfurt and working there for a week, then flying home out of Frankfurt. Pretty excited, Germany is probably the last of the major Western European countries I haven't been to.

Sounds way more interesting than my repetitive trips to 2-3 domestic locations over and over.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Lyon posted:

That is awesome. I would love to do more travel in Europe but unfortunately there isn't a lot of large opportunities in those locations.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Sounds way more interesting than my repetitive trips to 2-3 domestic locations over and over.

I was going to say, that sounds much better then my travel. For the last couple months I've only been doing BDL <-> MCI every week. Although I found out Thursday morning I need to go to Austin for the week next week so that will be a nice change of pace.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lyon posted:

Sorry to confound your expectations but that'll be a good trip!

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Just had a NEXUS interview where I got yelled at for failing to disclose the company housing I stayed in for 4 days as a "previous address" when I was transferred to the US in 2012.

In the end, they gave me the damned card.

Best $50 I'm probably going to spend for traveling over the next 5 years.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pixelboy posted:

Just had a NEXUS interview where I got yelled at for failing to disclose the company housing I stayed in for 4 days as a "previous address" when I was transferred to the US in 2012.

In the end, they gave me the damned card.

Ah goddamn it, this made me double check the application I filled the other day and I hosed up the adresses hardcore. Like forgot two places I lived, including one in China... And the government knows about that from a background check I had to apply for last year. This is not gonna go well. Is there a way to withdraw an application?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

FrozenVent posted:

Ah goddamn it, this made me double check the application I filled the other day and I hosed up the adresses hardcore. Like forgot two places I lived, including one in China... And the government knows about that from a background check I had to apply for last year. This is not gonna go well. Is there a way to withdraw an application?

No idea.

What burned me was that the company managed to get me a WA drivers license when I arrived -- but it had the temp housing address on it. I changed it online once we settled, but WA doesn't issue a new card when you change address -- they just note it in their database. The address on the license didn't match anything I disclosed.

The China one though... heh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah. It was never my main address, but t's going to show up depending on where they check because it's on the application for the security clearance I got last year. I've had so many background checks and what not over the last ten years, the computer probably lights up like a slot machine when they type my name.

I checked the GOES FAQ (That whole site is a blast from the 1990's), it has this:

quote:

I have submitted my application for review. How do I correct a mistake?

You will not be able to make any changes while your application is being processed. If you need to make a correction, you can do it at the time of the interview.

So yeah, we'll see what happens.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pixelboy posted:

It's $50 now? I thought I paid $100, but I could be wrong.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Don't worry about it. I didn't disclose a 3 month stretch I was bouncing between two places and they got pissy but in the end they're not going to deny you.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I spent the better part of three months living in a hotel and all I got was this lousy Priority Club Platinum status. Is there anything useful I can do with it?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

It's $50 now? I thought I paid $100, but I could be wrong.

Global Entry is $100, Nexus is $50. And they give you Global Entry for free if you have a Nexus pass, since they've already fingerprinted and background checked you. So if you're either traveling to Canada a lot or you live on a border town where you can do the Nexus interview, then you ought to just take the Nexus 2-for-1 deal and save $50.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 9, 2013

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Any idea if Flying Blue will backdate my airmies from previous trips this year if I can hand over boarding passes? I have like 20k miles worth from the last 4 months

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

My interview was seriously not even ten minutes; the only question was when the guy got bi-weekly and monthly pay confused. I've heard plenty of horror stories when interviewing for SENTRI down here but Global Entry couldn't have been any easier.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'll be embarking on a 6-week business trip to Canada and Asia. My flights have been booked (biz class).
This is the first time I'll be on an extended work trip (priors have been 2-3 day trips at most).
Incidentally, I have a $100 per diem separate from work-related expenses.

What tips would you guys have for me especially when it comes to advice on eating out/fitness/misc?

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

shrike82 posted:

I'll be embarking on a 6-week business trip to Canada and Asia. My flights have been booked (biz class).
This is the first time I'll be on an extended work trip (priors have been 2-3 day trips at most).

What tips would you guys have for me especially when it comes to advice on eating out/fitness/misc?

I don't keep a huge track of what I eat on the road since my trips are usually only 2-3 days, but I keep this article bookmarked on my work phone: http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Depending on where you are headed in Asia that 100 dollar per diem might let you eat like a king.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

majestic12 posted:

I don't keep a huge track of what I eat on the road since my trips are usually only 2-3 days, but I keep this article bookmarked on my work phone: http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere

drat, I was looking for something like that. Thank you!

shrike82 posted:

Will you be with customers? I would encourage bringing them out a few times to get some really good meals in. Those $100 per diem limits don't generally apply when entertaining.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

kru posted:

Any idea if Flying Blue will backdate my airmies from previous trips this year if I can hand over boarding passes? I have like 20k miles worth from the last 4 months

They will up to 6 months and when I signed up (in 2008...) backdating was not a problem for new applicants. You will lose points if you don't fly for 12 months, not sure if that's a regular thing with airline loyalty programs.

Also hi!

shrike82 posted:

If you have a lot of destinations I recommend trying to fit everything into hand luggage, because checking large bags and (especially) hauling them around is awful. Find out what size hand luggage your airline(s) allow and get the biggest bag that fits within that. Check if your laptop bag has a strap on the back so you can slide it over the hand luggage handle so you only need one hand for walking around with everything.

Whenever you change clothes put the dirty ones in a laundry bag and hunt down a hotel cleaner immediately. I've done a 2 month Asia trip like this with just two pairs of pants and three shirts and I was fine. If you need suits this may be more difficult although I can fit a spare suit in my hand luggage. Shoes are awfully big so unless it's cold I just take a pair of shorts and flip flops to wear in the hotel and hope my clients don't notice me wearing the same shoes every day. Reuse the plastic wrapping you get from the dry cleaner for your shirts / pants / suits to avoid creasing and save having everything ironed when you arrive.

Swimming requires almost no space in your bag and in Asia a lot of hotels have pools with no one in them.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So . . . evidently the maids like to talk. Consequently, the last couple of stays I've had at certain locations have involved a nice cool six-pack waiting for me.

Granted, they haven't quite gotten it right -- it is beer, yeah, but more of a macro variety. That said, hey, free sixer!

I'm a baby in terms of this sort of thing. What kind of crazy set-ups do the old hands have? Besides the obligatory second family. I totally get that if you are regularly split between roughly two areas with enough other areas to maintain plausible deniability.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So uhh are you asking if anyone on here maintains two families or even the more manageable two girlfriends between home and a frequent destination? If so while I have no advice please keep us updated so I can live vicariously through you.

Pretty sweet about the free beer, would definitely help keep the old expense report in line (for a night at least).

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Pvt Dancer posted:

They will up to 6 months and when I signed up (in 2008...) backdating was not a problem for new applicants. You will lose points if you don't fly for 12 months, not sure if that's a regular thing with airline loyalty programs.

Also hi!

Thanks and hi! :)

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

shrike82 posted:

In Asia, unless you speak the language, get the hotel to write down the hotel name and the address on a bunch of little cards so you can always find your way home. (Be aware that in China, Google Maps isn't always accurate.) Also, it might be fun to link up with the expat community there. I've met cool drinking buddies in Tokyo while hanging out at an expat bar.

Where are you going in Asia?

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
So work is moving me to Raleigh and I'm really disappointed in the flight options out of RDU. There goes my direct flights to SFO and Acela to NY. Taking a flight to JFK/LGA sucks compared to getting off at Penn Station and being at my clients' offices 15 minutes later. Nothing real to add here, I'm just bummed.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

TheLizard posted:

So work is moving me to Raleigh and I'm really disappointed in the flight options out of RDU. There goes my direct flights to SFO and Acela to NY. Taking a flight to JFK/LGA sucks compared to getting off at Penn Station and being at my clients' offices 15 minutes later. Nothing real to add here, I'm just bummed.

How did that conversation go? Did you have a choice, a "choice", or no choice at all on the move? Any chance you could ask to work from home so you don't have to move? I think RDU used to be an American hub but not sure what major airlines operate there currently.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Lyon posted:

How did that conversation go? Did you have a choice, a "choice", or no choice at all on the move? Any chance you could ask to work from home so you don't have to move? I think RDU used to be an American hub but not sure what major airlines operate there currently.

Delta, USAir, AA, UA, etc. all have hub based service there. Lots of tradeoffs for any carrier.

RDU used to be an American hub but no longer. Oddly enough they still do an LHR flight on a 777 as well as options to DCA, LGA, and JFK, but you'll be, for the most part, connecting to AA hubs.

Delta probably has the most routes out of RDU for a major carrier and has the most frequent NY area service if you will be traveling there frequently.

UA has direct SFO and EWR service and hub routes, but no club. Delta, AA and USAir all have clubs there, if you are traveling to SFO, USAir isn't totally viable, IMHO, if you want to still retain a club you're most likely going to be doing a lot of RDU > LAX > SFO on AA or DL.

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 29, 2013

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Lyon posted:

It was a "choice", which is better than the last two times I've worked for a company that moved! I'm actually pretty excited about it. RDU's crapiness is one of the very few downsides.

Belldandy, thanks - I'm thinking about keeping UA because they do RDU-SFO direct once a day, but they only have a shuttle to EWR. Right now I don't really know which of the NY airports is most convenient to get to midtown from. I will be doing a lot more overnights, so hurray hotel points!

RDU is an "international" airport - it has one flight to Toronto a day! Traveling internationally is going to suck too; I might just drive up to Dulles the night before and go from there. At least that way I can keep doing international connections and not have to book everything with a 3 hour layover so I can get through US passport control.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

TheLizard posted:

It was a "choice", which is better than the last two times I've worked for a company that moved! I'm actually pretty excited about it. RDU's crapiness is one of the very few downsides.

Belldandy, thanks - I'm thinking about keeping UA because they do RDU-SFO direct once a day, but they only have a shuttle to EWR. Right now I don't really know which of the NY airports is most convenient to get to midtown from. I will be doing a lot more overnights, so hurray hotel points!

RDU is an "international" airport - it has one flight to Toronto a day! Traveling internationally is going to suck too; I might just drive up to Dulles the night before and go from there. At least that way I can keep doing international connections and not have to book everything with a 3 hour layover so I can get through US passport control.

EWR is wayyyyyy more convenient than LGA or JFK to get to midtown, especially if you already do UA it's a bonus as EWR is a UA hub.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Belldandy posted:

EWR is wayyyyyy more convenient than LGA or JFK to get to midtown, especially if you already do UA it's a bonus as EWR is a UA hub.

Yeah I'd just like to reiterate this. EWR sits right on the NJ Transit line which terminates at Penn Station. You just take the tram/monorail from the airport to the NJ Transit stop right by the airport (maybe 5-10 minutes on the little train). From there you hop on the NJ Transit train heading towards NYC, super easy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
EWR is really good. From LGA there are shuttles to get you to either Midtown or Grand Central. Not as easy as EWR but you can make it work if those flights tend to work better for you/last minute.

Of course, the best way to get into Midtown is to fly into JFK and take the helicopter :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

EWR is really good. From LGA there are shuttles to get you to either Midtown or Grand Central. Not as easy as EWR but you can make it work if those flights tend to work better for you/last minute.

Of course, the best way to get into Midtown is to fly into JFK and take the helicopter :unsmigghh:

I like to just parachute out, personally.