Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slow is Fast posted:

We figured out a subaru cam has the same threads as the shifter:

I was laughing so hard I could barely drive. It's interesting driving with that much weight on the shifter... Before someone says it'll gently caress up the trans, my trans is already really hosed. So whatever.

This is inside the engine I picked up at the junkyard, I'd say I got a pretty good deal. $150 91k mile ej22.

Oh, also, you didn't post the pictures of me getting raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That camshaft shifter thing is going to become a ricer trend, I'm warning you right now.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

drat, I shoulda came back yesterday to put on my downpipe. Now that I know Tim lives ~30 minutes from me I'll have to visit more often.

Hahaha. Dude, if Tim lived 30 mins from me, I'd be there all the time and he'd probably get pissed off and ask me not to come back.

:glomp:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That camshaft shifter thing is going to become a ricer trend, I'm warning you right now.

So what you're telling me is that I'm gonna get a lot of business replacing shifter bushings?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Noise Complaint posted:

When I get my tools down at my apartment I can help you with simple stuff like that too. I think Tim is pretty backed up with auto work.

I also have a bunch of friends with stocked garages that like working on that kind of stuff.

Or I could just bribe you and Ace with blunts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slow is Fast posted:

Daslog showing his love for america:

I thought he lived in Albuquerque :tinfoil:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

STAY OUT OF MY (JUNKYARD) TERRITORY

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slow is Fast posted:

STAY OUT OF MY (JUNKYARD) TERRITORY

So when is the next official shindig?

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

So when is the next official shindig?

Also, do either of our TDI nerds have VCDS?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I have older VAG-COM stuff, but not VCDS. I don't think Pipkin has anything.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Opensourcepirate posted:

I have older VAG-COM stuff, but not VCDS. I don't think Pipkin has anything.

Other than a sweet rear end pad, awesome cats, and a great garage.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I have VCDS but its HEX-USB and wont do canbus stuff so it depends on how new the car is.

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003

Billy Tully posted:

I have VCDS but its HEX-USB and wont do canbus stuff so it depends on how new the car is.

Bummer. It's a 2012 Golf TDI.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Here is a playlist of videos I took from the Rallycross yesterday in Rochester. The Weather was pretty good, and I had a great time.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvrNzEJGLQ8uWF4TeBaejUk_yBP6WpqaU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Doing Autocross in a 2 week old leased VW GTI is a good idea? I am tempted to do it before I take it for the first service and the free detail they are giving after delivering the car late.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BigPaddy posted:

Doing Autocross in a 2 week old leased VW GTI is a good idea? I am tempted to do it before I take it for the first service and the free detail they are giving after delivering the car late.

Should be fine.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

AutoX is driving around in a parking lot. You're not gonna break it or get it dirty.
If you want to take advantage of the free detail.... take it to a rallyX :D

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Some of the other guys at work do it so should go with them. Pretty sure RallyX would just kill the stupidly huge wheels on it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Never leave an innocent camera alone with your friends

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Billy Tully posted:

Never leave an innocent camera alone with your friends

Yea, your camera isn't innocent anymore :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Autocrossing guys, is there a website with lists of events and all that?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So... The weather is awesome, when and where are we meeting again? I wish I had forgiving neighbors, the Cape isn't crowded yet.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Let's just start showing up at Billy Tully's house every Saturday morning.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm mostly booked till after july :/

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So when are we blowing poo poo up/wrenching/driving/drinking again?

I have a house that's available and significantly improved since last time we held one here, it's still a construction zone but nowhere near as bad.

Weekends that are theoretically bad for me: next weekend, weekend after that, and June 20-23. Other than that, I am pretty sure I'm around.

And I know a bazillion more local roads now, ranging from paved twisties to chipcoated twisties to rallycross type dirt all the way up to "you better have 33 inch mud tires and some sort of diff locker."

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 21, 2013

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Where's a good place to buy my first helmet? I want to try them on before I buy. I'm in the Worcester / Blackstone Valley area.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Kastein, are you still working on Sandbagger this weekend? If not maybe I'll stop by and we can get those springs properly seated. And then I can be even more terrified driving back up your "driveway".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Either that or going wheeling, or both. Depends on how my budget looks.

(sandbagger/wheeling are why I listed this weekend as theoretically busy)

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Kastein, are you still working on Sandbagger this weekend? If not maybe I'll stop by and we can get those springs properly seated. And then I can be even more terrified driving back up your "driveway".

We are probably going to the Junkyard on Saturday, possibly doing some work on other poo poo in Broadbrook after, mostly my truck and some other welding. I'll keep you posted. If not, I can throw my heatgun in the jeep and if it isn't raining this weekend, we can work something out.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah its supposed to be lovely all weekend anyways. No rush.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Yeah- due to the weather and me having just come back from 2 weeks of duty without a day off, I've decided to postpone travelling south.

I'll be down Monday to work on Sandbagger. I've got beer already. If you guys are going to be wrenching at Billy Tully's, I'd be up to swing by and hang out there. I've got pretty much everything I need to paint my frame in the jeep right now and have just been waiting for time/weather to cooperate so I can knock it out.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

THURSDAY

THURSDAY

THURSDAY

CHRISGT

SLOW IS FAST

SAMS JUNKYARD

SEATS ARE JUST TWO DOLLARS BUT YOU"LL ONLY NEED THE EDDDGGGGGEEEEEEE

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I thought we were going Wednesday?

Either way I think I can make it, not sure.

I hope it isn't pouring like this.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Partly because Dan can't do Wednesday, partly because we're hoping it clears up some by Thursday. Junkyarding in the pouring rain is less than fun.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'll come down wednesday. The weather is supposed to break wednesday evening and then it should be sunny for a little bit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Neptr posted:

Where's a good place to buy my first helmet? I want to try them on before I buy. I'm in the Worcester / Blackstone Valley area.

I can't think of any place that stocks them other than HMS Motorsports in Danvers :(.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

commissargribb posted:

I'll come down wednesday. The weather is supposed to break wednesday evening and then it should be sunny for a little bit.

Come to Sam's with us on Thursday!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So I've been doing a lot of driving for fun since I got my new (to me, last October) car, and I'm wondering if you guys have any particular roads to recommend. I've been hitting up a lot of the ones on this website:

http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestRoads/Best%20Roads.htm

So far it hasn't steered me too wrong, but the best I've found is still Bear Notch Rd / Albany Rd up near North Conway. Any particular recommendations that aren't on that list? I'm in Northeastern MA so no matter where it is I'm going to have to do some driving to get there, but if it's worth it I'm willing to do the drive. This is in a Volvo S60R so I'm only really looking for paved twisties, and preferably good pavement (though mediocre pavement is fine if the road is good enough). The less well traveled the better.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm only really looking for paved twisties, and preferably good pavement (though mediocre pavement is fine if the road is good enough). The less well traveled the better.

If you haven't been into the White mountains in the summer- it's a pretty great drive.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=kancamagus&hl=en&hnear=Kancamagus+Hwy&t=h&z=11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I've done the kancamagus a few times, it's not bad, but it's usually got too many people on it and the pavement is actually pretty bad in some sections. It's also a major enough road that concerns about police make it somewhat less fun. The road between it and 302 that I mentioned (bear notch/albany) is a lot better. I'm just wondering if there are any other roads like that which I should know about.

• Locked thread