Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just watched the Wolverine trailer, I undertsand what people mean about dodgy special effects, but I don't really care because I love the huge amount of pathos. If they live up to the Inception "BWOoONG" (seriously, has there been a more heavy handed Summer action blockbuster ever than Inception? The closest I can think of would be Ang Lee's Hulk, and that had a mutant poodle) then I'm happy.

Seriously, what I want from a Wolverine movie is a film about an immortal man who regrets the fact that all he's done in life is kill people. But it should be at least a little silly, because his name is Wolverine and aside from his claws, his other trademark is goofy loving hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Hey! Say what you will about the quality of effects, script, acting, directing, etc. But I will not hear a single word spoken against that amazing hair.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Unfortunate for Catwoman, but these colors are gorgeous.

e: Sorry to drag this up from pages ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

volumecontrol posted:

I've never quite understood what the original armors' pants and arms were made of. I mean, they're clearly flexible, and they show his muscles...is it supposed to be space-age mithrill or something?

Short answer: yes.

What it really is is flexible and compact metal mesh that normally is soft and compact but when powered by the suit it is pulled up magnetically to connect between the red parts of the suit in which it's housed and then hardened. Kinda like in Batman Begins when we see the electricity used to turn Batman's cape into wings.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SpaceMost posted:

Couldn't agree more. drat I wish more art inside the books was colored like that. Instead we're constantly plagued by the remnants of slipshod digital airbrushing that looks like it came straight out of the 90s. Sometimes I just get sad when I try to see the inks behind the colors - I'd much rather read a black and white book than a poorly colored one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Or even a book that's inked well. A lot of digital inking in comics just straight up looks like poo poo to the point where you think it's a shame that the original and probably serviceable illustration is actually terrible.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Now please explain your grievances to every other comic book fan on the planet.

I will never understand why, in an environment where you can use any color you can dream of, the coloring is so terrible. I mean, I do understand (cheaper to do it quickly and no one cares), but not on an artistic level.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SpaceMost posted:

Her goggles look like a tiny bra. :goleft:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Or even a book that's inked well. A lot of digital inking in comics just straight up looks like poo poo to the point where you think it's a shame that the original and probably serviceable illustration is actually terrible.

Coincidentally, I just discovered this. So much terrible, airbrushed, overly-gradiented recoloring :smith:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Coincidentally, I just discovered this. So much terrible, airbrushed, overly-gradiented recoloring :smith:
Looking through these, it's clear how much more striking the originals are. While they look obviously fake/comic book-y, each character pops more in the originals than in the re-colors, and it's easier to read the whole scene without being distracted by some CG lens flare or lighting effect.

I'm already aware that I'm reading a comic book, so show me interesting art, not some blurry confusing attempt at realism.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 29, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite coloring in comics right now is probably Hawkeye. That book is just fantastic all around.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

feedmyleg posted:

This is making me irrationally angry, and I haven't read a comic book for years.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

The recoloring doesn't really work for the classic stuff, but I do think it looks good with the early 90's Liefield covers they have listed there. The second X-Men 1 recolor would be fantastic if the colorist hadn't gone crazy with Magneto.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
On Del Toro's "Dark Universe" (source):

Appearing at WonderCon over the weekend to promote "Pacific Rim," filmmaker Guillermo del Toro says that he has already penned the outline for "Dark Universe". The project combines various second-tier DC Comics characters in what is essentially an "Avengers"-type ensemble, albeit with a darker supernatural tone. Del Toro adds that a writer has already been hired and will work with him to turn that outline into a script. Said writer will be announced shortly. He also revealed a few other story points:

The 'team' will be lead by a John Constantine (from the "Hellblazer" comics) who tries to recruit the other heroes. Constantine will be blond in this version. The team itself will consist of Constantine, Swamp Thing, Etrigan the Demon, Deadman, The Spectre and Zatanna.

The story will reportedly deal with Jason Blood's history with Merlin and King Arthur's knights, but bring the threat to present day. In a nice twist, the origin elements of the characters will be revealed over time instead of right upfront. This means Swamp Thing is already living a peaceful life, and Deadman is still searching for his killer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That sounds kinda like a Seven Soldiers movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I still say that's even less likely to actually get made than a Justice League movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hakkesshu posted:

I still say that's even less likely to actually get made than a Justice League movie.

With the recent showing of Ant-Man, which looks rad as hell, and the scuttlebutt about Guardians of the Galaxy, I kind of think the more obscure characters are better off because there's no baggage whatsoever. Who in the hell would care that Shining Knight is now a teenage boy or that Mr. Miracle is an Andre 3000-esque pop star?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, honestly after the fact that we're weirdly getting a high profile Guardians of the Galaxy movie, everything seems pretty much fair game. I'm pulling hardest for Booster Gold. Maybe Moon Knight too, although we'll probably get Luke Cage and Iron Fist before we get that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NarkyBark posted:

On Del Toro's "Dark Universe" (source):

Appearing at WonderCon over the weekend to promote "Pacific Rim," filmmaker Guillermo del Toro says that he has already penned the outline for "Dark Universe". The project combines various second-tier DC Comics characters in what is essentially an "Avengers"-type ensemble, albeit with a darker supernatural tone. Del Toro adds that a writer has already been hired and will work with him to turn that outline into a script. Said writer will be announced shortly. He also revealed a few other story points:

The 'team' will be lead by a John Constantine (from the "Hellblazer" comics) who tries to recruit the other heroes. Constantine will be blond in this version. The team itself will consist of Constantine, Swamp Thing, Etrigan the Demon, Deadman, The Spectre and Zatanna.

The story will reportedly deal with Jason Blood's history with Merlin and King Arthur's knights, but bring the threat to present day. In a nice twist, the origin elements of the characters will be revealed over time instead of right upfront. This means Swamp Thing is already living a peaceful life, and Deadman is still searching for his killer.

That's not too surprising, since it's basically a variation on Justice League Dark. It's a little weird, since team-up comics work around you already knowing most of the characters and then you buy the comics for the other ones (part of me thinks the reason they made an Avengers movie was to push dvd sales of whichever movies didn't do as well). And none of these particular characters are well known, so you'd need constant flashbacks and origin stories. Maybe they want to do a reverse Avengers, establish all that characters at once, then make spin offs.

I wouldn't actually mind Keanu Reeves reprising the role of John Constantine, even though the comic version is so different, Reeves had the nihilism that I think is key to the character, and he's famous enough that once you attach his name to a movie it has a much better chance of actually being made.

Sly Deaths Head
Nov 5, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Maybe Moon Knight too, although we'll probably get Luke Cage and Iron Fist before we get that.

I think mostly street level heroes like those would work way better as a tv series. The Daredevil movie worked best when it was about Matt Murdock's personal life and the worst aspects were the attempts to create enough of a spectacle out of the standard martial arts fighting by adding awful CGI/wire-fu to justify it being a summer action movie.

Sly Deaths Head fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 2, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Crossposting from BSS

Edit: Some more concept arts, and Thor: The Dark World set photos. One of them is of The Falcoln:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 2, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sly Deaths Head posted:

I think mostly street level heroes like those would work way better as a tv series. The Daredevil movie worked best when it was about Matt Murdock's personal life and the worst aspects were the attempts to create enough of a spectacle out of the standard martial arts fighting by adding awful CGI/wire-fu to justify it being a summer action movie.

The Daredevil movie worked best when it was still a hypothetical, i.e. "Wouldn't it be cool if they made a Daredevil movie?"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

My favorite coloring in comics right now is probably Hawkeye. That book is just fantastic all around.
Hawkeye has great coloring, but I think The Private Eye has some of the best colors I've seen in a long time.

Even though there is only one issue out, I'd love to see it optioned as a film. The premise is just amazing: a private investigator living in a world in which there was a massive information link which led to most of humanity abandoning the internet, and the population now treasures privacy to the point where nearly all adults have secret identities. It's also only going to be ten issues which might make it much more easily adaptable than most of Vaughan's work which tends to live off the charming characters even if the high concepts are very fun.

There are tons of directs who I'd love to see tackling the material or even just making a loose adaptation based on the elevator pitch.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ah yes. Let's make a Ally McBeal-esque show called Murdock. Grim Matt Murdock is a grim lawyer who takes his cases personally and his partner is Jen Walters, the She Hulk. Dramedy ensues.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Gatts posted:

Ah yes. Let's make a Ally McBeal-esque show called Murdock. Grim Matt Murdock is a grim lawyer who takes his cases personally and his partner is Jen Walters, the She Hulk. Dramedy ensues.

I'd certainly watch it! Just think of all the possible guest star. Jennifer Walters can be pretty drat funny, as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Daredevil movie worked best when it was still a hypothetical, i.e. "Wouldn't it be cool if they made a Daredevil movie?"

In my head, there's an awesome Daredevil trilogy. The first movie is based on Born Again (which is what was teased before Fox lost the rights) Then something based on Daredevil's identity being made public, have the dramatic conversation with Stiltman and the plain clothes fight with about 100 Yakuza, and then the third movie is Brubaker's Devil in CellBlock D, do whatever you need to get the rights to Punisher for it, because he's pretty key.
Those are three plots that stand on their own but still build as a singular work.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They just need to give it to Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, and let them go Sin City with it. Bullseye and Kingpin are already black and white, and then the red in Daredevil and Elektra's costumes will really pop.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I feel like this one bit of concept art has more action in it than the entirety of the previous movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who's that guy punching the shield?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zzulu posted:

Who's that guy punching the shield?

The Winter Soldier.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It looks like he's fighting the Bionic Commando

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I feel like this one bit of concept art has more action in it than the entirety of the previous movie.

I just watched that movie for the first time because the abysmal Thor killed my interest and dear lord does that movie drag. For a two hour run-time there is an excruciating amount of non-action, non-plot tedium to get to the poorly choreographed and framed fight scenes.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I got to some really boring scene partway through Captain America (this does not differentiate it from any other scene in the movie) and just skipped to the end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

They just need to give it to Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, and let them go Sin City with it. Bullseye and Kingpin are already black and white, and then the red in Daredevil and Elektra's costumes will really pop.

My preferred hypothetical Daredevil adaptation is more grounded, basically like Homicide: Life on the Streets except the main dude puts on a costume and kung-fu fights people occasionally.

Joe Carnahan's spec reel looked pretty cool too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My preferred hypothetical Daredevil adaptation is more grounded, basically like Homicide: Life on the Streets except the main dude puts on a costume and kung-fu fights people occasionally.

Joe Carnahan's spec reel looked pretty cool too.

I like this but DL's idea of b&w and only red being in color is pretty awesome.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dacap posted:

This is apprently concept art for what might be the new Cap costume. Looks like the Steve Rogers Super Soldier outfit with the cowl/helmet added.

I think it looks horrible. Disappointed they are going for what I assume is "tactical realism." I'd rather go with leather jacket, shirt and jeans. Maybe in red white and blue theme.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gatts posted:

I think it looks horrible. Disappointed they are going for what I assume is "tactical realism." I'd rather go with leather jacket, shirt and jeans. Maybe in red white and blue theme.

I'm really hoping the costume looks better with better lighting. That's a good action pose, but not a good pose to examine the costume.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

jivjov posted:

I'm really hoping the costume looks better with better lighting. That's a good action pose, but not a good pose to examine the costume.

Yeah, hope you are right. The other thought I had afterwards was that the original in Captain America combined the superhero version with "tactical realism" in a nice way. The costume was still brightly colored and whatnot. It'd be neat if the costume's muted colors and modern "tactical realism" was a sort of comment of America's perception of itself in WW2 era versus today's less noble take on itself.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Why does Steve Rogers even need a costume? He's not Peter Parker or Bruce Wayne, everybody knows who Captain America is. I'm not suggesting Marvel would make a movie where he doesn't wear one, I'm just curious if there's an in-universe reason for him getting a tailor-made outfit to wear when he's punching people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Why does Steve Rogers even need a costume? He's not Peter Parker or Bruce Wayne, everybody knows who Captain America is. I'm not suggesting Marvel would make a movie where he doesn't wear one, I'm just curious if there's an in-universe reason for him getting a tailor-made outfit to wear when he's punching people.

Captain America is not an identity, its a symbol.

• Locked thread