Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

ARACHNOTRON posted:

pymongo docs apparently lied to me.

try m['_id']?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Yeah, that worked out. So I will get this sucker started up for real in 20 minutes :c00l:

code:
root     14015  1.2  2.7  55192 16488 ?        S    16:05   0:02 python report_c
ALL IS WELL

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 12, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Okay this code worked with a different program and does not work with this one. The only difference is I already had a list of the _id's I wanted (there were only 25 as opposed to 2500) and could create a DB connection in the M class.

Output:
code:
sudo python report_collection_daemon.py start

got to while
in while
And then it stops, no .pid file is made anywhere, doing python .py stop gives an error because it isn't running anymore.

Python code:
class App():
        def __init__(self):
                self.stdin_path = '/dev/null'
                self.stdout_path = '/dev/tty'
                self.stderr_path = '/dev/ttr'
                self.pidfile_path = '/tmp/foo.pid'
                self.pidfile_timeout = 5

def run(self):
                connection = MongoClient('localhost', 27017)
                db = connection.demo
                mlist = db.m.find()
                print 'got to while'
                while True:
                        print "in while"
                        for m in mlist:
                                I = M(connection)
                                I.report(m._id)
                                print 'test'
                        print "2500 reports complete"
                        time.sleep(3600)

app = App()
daemon_runner = runner.DaemonRunner(app)
daemon_runner.do_action()
What are you doing with that connection object? Running another query on a different collection?

I ask cuz it seems like you're probably already getting back all your data when you access the documents with the mlist cursor and you don't really do separate, linked collections in mongo unless you're running into the 16mb document size limit. If you need or really want your data in separate collections you can reduce the overhead of iterating that cursor by putting a projection on the find operation so that the documents it returns only contain _id.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
I am.
That's a pretty good point and I will do that for future modules, but for this specific application there is only a need to fill the db with random sample data until next week, I believe. I might as well just stop it and fix that, though! It cannot hurt.

I had reports as a field initially but since they will be collected every hour, forever, it will definitely hit the size limit eventually.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Man, I just had one of those moments where I my mind boggled a bit. I have been putting off implementing Celery in a few projects because I thought it would be a huge endeavor to get working. It's not. It's loving easy to install and implement. And it seems to work well so far. It's just one of those 'THE FUTURE IS NOW' kind of things.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm hoping someone can help me with a QT / designer question. The example code I've included shows how I've been setting up the code, which may not be correct. I'm trying to get programs that are not in classes that work with QT directly to change aspects of the GUI. I've set up example code showing the structure of my programs. My goal is to get the function btn_about2, in the main program (or another class) to change the main window's statusbar. I've included two windows in this example, to clarify how my gui code's structured.

Python code:
from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
from main_gui import Ui_Main
from about_gui import Ui_About
#main_gui and about_gui are .py files generated by designer and pyuic

class StartQT4(QtGui.QMainWindow):
    def __init__(self, parent=None):
        QtGui.QWidget.__init__(self, parent)
        self.ui = Ui_Main()
        self.ui.setupUi(self)
	#I don't really know what this code is, but I need it to make the program work

self.ui.actionAbout.triggered.connect(self.btn_about) #or about2
  	#Signals go here, and call this class's methods, which call other methods.
        #I can't seem to call other methods/functions directly, and these won't take arguments.

def btn_about(self):
    #Referenced by the above code. Can interact with other classes/functions.
        self.ui.statusbar.showMessage("This works!")
        self.w = About()
        self.w.show()

class About(QtGui.QWidget):
#Separate windows/popups  etc have their own class
        self.ui = Ui_About()
        self.ui.setupUi(self)

def btn_about2(self):
   StartQT4.ui.statusbar.showMessage("This doesn't work!")
    #I've tried many variations of the above line, with no luck.
    w = About()
    w.show() #This however works; the popup appears.

#More classes and functions not directly-related to the GUI go here; ie the most of the program.

if __name__ == "__main__":
    app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
    myapp = StartQT4()
    myapp.show()
    sys.exit(app.exec_())
Related - Outside of learning QT, I've been using classes for two purposes: Organizing similar functions, and setting up variables with multiple sub-variables. (objects with attributes) The way QT/designer uses them doesn't seem to fit with this understanding of classes, which may be the problem.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 13, 2013

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007
Ok, I'm kinda a python newbie, but does Pandas have a sort method that isn't totally hosed? I have a pandas dataframe (read from a CSV) structured like this:
index year month day str1 str2 int
1 2008 12 1 x c 7
2 2008 1 12 x x 9
3 . . .

and I want to sort it by date, so year->month->day ascending. Ok, df = df.sort_index(by = ['year', 'month', 'day']), done, right? Not so fast, that gives me an ostensibly sorted array, but the indices are the same, and now all out of order, so I have no way to tell which row is the first and which is the last. How do I reindex this so I can be sure row i+1 has a later date (or at least the same date) as row i?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I'm receiving a json string from an API call to my broker that looks like this:
code:
'{"response":{"quotes":{"quote":{"ask":"429.7000","exch":"NASD","symbol":"AAPL"}}}}'
What's the easiest way to parse that and extract a value? Json.loads turns it into
code:
{u'response': {u'quotes': {u'quote': {u'ask': u'429.7000', u'symbol': u'AAPL', u'exch': u'NASD'}}}}
which doesn't seem helpful, but maybe I'm wrong.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

That's the Python dictionary representation of the JSON string. What would you otherwise expect to happen with the returned JSON?

I mean, it's now fairly easy to do float(json.loads(returned_json).get('quote', {}).get('AAPL', 0)), you could even stick it in a namedtuple that matches the data structure, but strictly speaking it's your job to convert the data to something that you can use. json.loads just converts it to something accessible for more Python code.

geonetix fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 14, 2013

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm receiving a json string from an API call to my broker that looks like this:
code:
'{"response":{"quotes":{"quote":{"ask":"429.7000","exch":"NASD","symbol":"AAPL"}}}}'
What's the easiest way to parse that and extract a value? Json.loads turns it into
code:
{u'response': {u'quotes': {u'quote': {u'ask': u'429.7000', u'symbol': u'AAPL', u'exch': u'NASD'}}}}
which doesn't seem helpful, but maybe I'm wrong.

Seems fairly helpful. It turns a string containing json into a python dict which looks syntactically fairly similar but you can now access it directly like a normal dict.

Python code:
Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>>> parsedJson = {u'response': {u'quotes': {u'quote': {u'ask': u'429.7000', u'symbol': u'AAPL', u'exch': u'NASD'}}}} #Pretend this is from Json.loads
>>> quote = parsedJson["response"]["quotes"]["quote"]
>>> print "Ask:",quote["ask"]
Ask: 429.7000
>>> print "Symbol:",quote["symbol"]
Symbol: AAPL
>>> print "EXCH:",quote["exch"]
EXCH: NASD
>>> 

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

KaiserBen posted:

Ok, I'm kinda a python newbie, but does Pandas have a sort method that isn't totally hosed? I have a pandas dataframe (read from a CSV) structured like this:
index year month day str1 str2 int
1 2008 12 1 x c 7
2 2008 1 12 x x 9
3 . . .

and I want to sort it by date, so year->month->day ascending. Ok, df = df.sort_index(by = ['year', 'month', 'day']), done, right? Not so fast, that gives me an ostensibly sorted array, but the indices are the same, and now all out of order, so I have no way to tell which row is the first and which is the last. How do I reindex this so I can be sure row i+1 has a later date (or at least the same date) as row i?

Remove the index column from the table. When pandas saves CSV files I am pretty sure that it includes the row in the text file.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

I'm hoping someone can help me with a QT / designer question. The example code I've included shows how I've been setting up the code, which may not be correct. I'm trying to get programs that are not in classes that work with QT directly to change aspects of the GUI. I've set up example code showing the structure of my programs. My goal is to get the function btn_about2, in the main program (or another class) to change the main window's statusbar. I've included two windows in this example, to clarify how my gui code's structured.

Python code:
from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
from main_gui import Ui_Main
from about_gui import Ui_About
#main_gui and about_gui are .py files generated by designer and pyuic

class StartQT4(QtGui.QMainWindow):
        self.ui = Ui_Main()
        self.ui.setupUi(self)
	#I don't really know what this code is, but I need it to make the program work

self.ui.actionAbout.triggered.connect(self.btn_about) #or about2
  	#Signals go here, and call this class's methods, which call other methods.
        #I can't seem to call other methods/functions directly, and these won't take arguments.

def btn_about(self):
    #Referenced by the above code. Can interact with other classes/functions.
        self.ui.statusbar.showMessage("This works!")
        self.w = About()
        self.w.show()

class About(QtGui.QWidget):
#Separate windows/popups  etc have their own class
        self.ui = Ui_About()
        self.ui.setupUi(self)

def btn_about2(self):
   StartQT4.ui.statusbar.showMessage("This doesn't work!")
    #I've tried many variations of the above line, with no luck.
    w = About()
    w.show() #This however works; the popup appears.

#More classes and functions not directly-related to the GUI go here; ie the most of the program.

if __name__ == "__main__":
    app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
    myapp = StartQT4()
    myapp.show()
    sys.exit(app.exec_())
Related - Outside of learning QT, I've been using classes for two purposes: Organizing similar functions, and setting up variables with multiple sub-variables. (objects with attributes) The way QT/designer uses them doesn't seem to fit with this understanding of classes, which may be the problem.
Got the solution: Needed to use the instance of the window class, not the class itself. The working btn_2 code is
code:
myapp.ui.statusbar.showMessage("Hooray it works!")
Another question: What's the best way to reference a relative path that's not the directory of the .py file? For example, I'd like to have a subdirectory where I save files. I had been using str(os.path[0]), but find that when I run a compiled version (Windows), it glitches out and references a directory in the exe. Ie: if the directory's "C:\programs\myprogram\program.py", and I use str(os.path[0]) + '\\path', it tries to go to "C:\programs\myprogram\program.exe\path." I can work around this by setting os.path[1] instead of 0, but then the uncompiled script doesn't work.

Method 2: using os.path.dirname(__file__). This works in the uncompiled script, but the compiled program loads the GUI, then glitches out with the following error:

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 15, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Read this: http://docs.python.org/2/library/os.html#os-file-dir

Use os.getcwd()

Edit: sorry didn't notice what you were doing exactly. You want http://docs.python.org/2/library/os.path.html os.path.dirname()

Dren fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 15, 2013

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
I wrote a little script this weekend to calculate and store md5 hashes of files in a list of directories I point the script to, for the purpose of finding duplicates. I fully realize there's lots of tools to do this already, and do it better, but I wanted to write something myself as I get more familiar with Python (I keep meaning to go through Learn python the hard way or other tutorials :D). Does any of this look like the completely wrong way of doing things? It seems like the for loops don't need to be as nested... somehow? List comprehensions, or.. something? Anyway, just something dumb to poke holes in on a Monday morning :) (I'm happy at least that it works :))

http://pastie.org/7577472

dedian fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 15, 2013

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Django modelling question: I want to make a single row table to store settings in, the reason being that I want to have certain settings to have restricted values, otherwise I'd just make a multirow table of key/values.

Is there any way to restrict a table to a single row, and have it appear cleanly in the admin console i.e. don't allow admins to add more useless rows?

My name aint Jerry
Sep 4, 2011

Good job with notjerry.org, Not Jerry. Here is not-a-trophy for you.

dedian posted:

Does any of this look like the completely wrong way of doing things? It seems like the for loops don't need to be as nested... somehow? List comprehensions, or.. something? Anyway, just something dumb to poke holes in on a Monday morning :) (I'm happy at least that it works :))

Several little issues come to mind, but they have little to do with python, except maybe this one:

Instead of repeating
Python code:
con = lite.connect('foo')
with con:
con.close()
You should use:
Python code:
with lite.connect('foo') as con:
The __exit__() method will close the connection anyway, even in case of an exception, which is why you should use the 'with' construct.

I would make the database connection only once in the code, and make sure it actually uses the global constant. This is a mistake that I do sometimes too. Define a nice constant somewhere for a filename, and put the value instead in the code. Furthermore, I would have something like:

Python code:
COMMANDS = {
  'init': dbinit,
  'update': dbupdate,
  'duplicates': dbduplicates
}

def main():
  command = sys.argv[1] if len(sys.argv) > 1 else None
  try:
    with lite.connect(DATABASE) as con:
      COMMANDS[command](con)
   except KeyError:
    sys.stderr.write("Unknown command")

if __name__ == '__main__':
  main()
This way adding a command is easy. This will reduce the tabulation in your functions too.

For the database, I would not distinguish path and filename from this code, as you only seem to use the full path all the time. I would also add a UNIQUE constraint on the full path column, which would accelerate the check for existence. I would also add a non unique index on the md5 COLUMN.

My name aint Jerry fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 15, 2013

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

dedian posted:

I wrote a little script this weekend to calculate and store md5 hashes of files in a list of directories I point the script to, for the purpose of finding duplicates. I fully realize there's lots of tools to do this already, and do it better, but I wanted to write something myself as I get more familiar with Python (I keep meaning to go through Learn python the hard way or other tutorials :D). Does any of this look like the completely wrong way of doing things? It seems like the for loops don't need to be as nested... somehow? List comprehensions, or.. something? Anyway, just something dumb to poke holes in on a Monday morning :) (I'm happy at least that it works :))

Consider using argparse to make your command line interface both more useful and easier to maintain: http://pymotw.com/2/argparse/index.html

You can use glob to help build DIR_LIST based on user input: http://pymotw.com/2/glob/index.html

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Awesome, thanks for taking a look! That all makes sense. It's been quite a while since I've touched any code, so this all helps :-)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dedian posted:

MD5 is great, but if you're like me then you worry that your hashes might detect file duplicates when none exist (IE two unique files can produce the same hash). If that's the case, then you want your hash strings to be as long as possible so as to minimize the likelihood of collisions. You'd only need to change 1-2 lines in order to use sha256 or sha512 instead of md5 (hashlib supports both). You could also check for the file size in bytes when checking for duplicates; if two files have the same hash but different file sizes, then they are probably unique files, no?

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.
I'm working on an assignment where I have to take a file containing a list of numbers, apply a radix sort to them, and output the list into a new file. I have the code for applying a radix sort to a list of numbers but I'm stuck on how I get the list of numbers from the file and how to output them into a new file. This is the code I have right now, and I don't understand why this doesn't allow me to perform the radix_sort method on the file. The error it returns is "object of type 'file' has no len()"

code:
def radix_sort(radix_list):
    len_radix_list = len(radix_list)
    modulus = 10
    div = 1
    while True:
        new_list = [[], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], []]
        for value in radix_list:
            least_digit = value % modulus
            least_digit /= div
            new_list[least_digit].append(value)
        modulus = modulus * 10
        div = div * 10

if len(new_list[0]) == len_radix_list:
            return new_list[0]

random_list = []
        rd_list_append = radix_list.append
        for x in new_list:
            for y in x:
                rd_list_append(y)

random_data = open('radix.in.txt')
print radix_sort(random_data)

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

MD5 is great, but if you're like me then you worry that your hashes might detect file duplicates when none exist (IE two unique files can produce the same hash). If that's the case, then you want your hash strings to be as long as possible so as to minimize the likelihood of collisions. You'd only need to change 1-2 lines in order to use sha256 or sha512 instead of md5 (hashlib supports both). You could also check for the file size in bytes when checking for duplicates; if two files have the same hash but different file sizes, then they are probably unique files, no?
Unless you have a habit of storing outputs of MD5 collision creators, you will never see an MD5 collision on your filesystem.

File sizes are a good optimization, though -- if a file has a unique size, there's no need to bother reading the entire thing to hash it.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Qwertyiop25 posted:

I'm working on an assignment where I have to take a file containing a list of numbers, apply a radix sort to them, and output the list into a new file. I have the code for applying a radix sort to a list of numbers but I'm stuck on how I get the list of numbers from the file and how to output them into a new file. This is the code I have right now, and I don't understand why this doesn't allow me to perform the radix_sort method on the file. The error it returns is "object of type 'file' has no len()"

What you have is a file object, what you need is a list of numbers. You need to read each line of the file, convert it to a number, add that number to a list, then you can sort that list.

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.
Ok I added a part to read the file and convert it into a list of integer values but now when I run the program, it runs forever without printing anything or bringing up an error.

This is what I have now

code:
    b = open('radix.in.txt').readlines()
    a = [int(i) for i in b]

def radix_sort(radix_list):
    len_radix_list = len(radix_list)
    modulus = 10
    div = 1
    while True:
        new_list = [[], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], []]
        for value in radix_list:
            least_digit = value % modulus
            least_digit /= div
            new_list[least_digit].append(value)
        modulus = modulus * 10
        div = div * 10

if len(new_list[0]) == len_radix_list:
            return new_list[0]

random_list = []
        rd_list_append = radix_list.append
        for x in new_list:
            for y in x:
                rd_list_append(y)

print radix_sort(a)

Qwertyiop25 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 16, 2013

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Qwertyiop25 posted:

Ok I added a part to read the file and convert it into a list of integer values but now when I run the program, it runs forever without printing anything or bringing up an error.

This is what I have now

code:
...infinite loop...

I don't see a break statement in there (but there is a return). Also, you don't use "random_list". Are you using Python 2 or 3?

accipter fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 16, 2013

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.

accipter posted:

Also, you don't use "random_list".

Thank you, this was the problem. I changed random_list to list1 everywhere but there. I could have sworn I used the replace all button but I guess not.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The reason that it's an infinite loop is that at the end you append each item from radix_list to radix_list again, doubling the size of the list. len_radix_list is not recalculated in the loop so it becomes very unlikely that your exit condition len(new_list[0]) == len_radix_list will ever be met (without thinking about it too much, I guess only if exactly half your input numbers are have at least one less digit than the other half).

There are a number of issues here but I would advise you to start by deleting all the lines form random_list = [] down, and rethinking what you're trying to do there - it seems like you think the contents of radix_list are being permanently consumed by your loop, which they are not.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Scaevolus posted:

Unless you have a habit of storing outputs of MD5 collision creators, you will never see an MD5 collision on your filesystem.

File sizes are a good optimization, though -- if a file has a unique size, there's no need to bother reading the entire thing to hash it.

You probably won't see a collision on your filesystem with md5, you mean. You can trivially implement any of the sha-2 hash functions for much better collision resistance, and it's not really costing you anything to do so, so why not?

Checking for file sizes will make the probability basically zero and will make the duplicate checking much faster, but there's always that one in a gazillion chance that two unique files with the same file size will also have the same hash...

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Given that dedian would need to have a folder with about 10 billion billion files in it before he'd have a decent chance of having single MD5 collision, he'd probably be better off spending his time shielding his computer from cosmic radiation :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Haystack posted:

Given that dedian would need to have a folder with about 10 billion billion files in it before he'd have a decent chance of having single MD5 collision, he'd probably be better off spending his time shielding his computer from cosmic radiation :v:

Hey I agree with you in that the probability is basically zero and he doesn't need to worry, I just like effortless solutions that teach people new things :shrug:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dedian posted:

You used 'dir' as the name of a temporary variable to store a directory name. 'dir' is a reserved keyword in python and shouldn't be used as a variable name.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

dedian posted:

Request for feedback..

You define DB_NAME, but never use it to open the database.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Aren't SHA-1 and friends actually faster than MD5 though?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

accipter posted:

You define DB_NAME, but never use it to open the database.

Thanks, I did notice that after I posted. I've implemented the changes that folks have suggested here (but still working on file size) and those changes have definitely sped things up and made the code easier to read. Thanks to everyone, again!

Eventually it'd be nice to use this in a distributed fashion (so I don't think to myself "Do I have duplicate stuff stashed on some random box that I don't know about?") but we'll see. Forcing myself to do some tutorials would probably be a better use of my time at this point :D

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

OK, yet another unicode question.

code:
class Segment(object):

def __init__(self,symbol):
        self.symbol = symbol

def __str___(self):
        return self.symbol

def __repr__(self):
        return self.__str__()

>>>s = Segment('ʘ')
>>>print s.symbol
ʘ
>>>s.symbol
u'\u0298'
>>>print str(s)
ʘ
>>>str(s)
'\xca\x98'
The first two make sense, since 'ʘ' == u'\u0298', but I don't understand the other two. Since str(s) does nothing but return s.symbol, I cannot understand why different strings get printed. More over, how come '\xca\x98' != ʘ

edit: ah I forgot I can't print those symbols in a code block. '& #664;' == 'ʘ'

FoiledAgain fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 17, 2013

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

FoiledAgain posted:

Since str(s) does nothing but return s.symbol
Python code:
>>> class Foo(object):
...     def __str__(self):
...         return u''
>>> foo = Foo()
>>> type(foo.__str__())
<type 'unicode'>
>>> type(str(foo))
<type 'str'>
str calls __str__ and converts the result to type str.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My girlfriend is interested in learning more web development skills. Maintaining a web site is a small facet of her job, so it actually does have some applicability to what she's doing. For instance, she knows how to use CSS and javascript. She knows that I've been using Python for a long time, and she has asked me if Python is a useful language to learn for web development purposes. I wasn't sure what to tell her; I've never done any web stuff.

Searching around on the web gives links to people talking about how awesome django is as a web framework, but I don't really understand what django does. Is it only useful for creating web applications with forms and the like or can it also just be used to make nice-looking web sites in a relatively easy way?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

My girlfriend is interested in learning more web development skills. Maintaining a web site is a small facet of her job, so it actually does have some applicability to what she's doing. For instance, she knows how to use CSS and javascript. She knows that I've been using Python for a long time, and she has asked me if Python is a useful language to learn for web development purposes. I wasn't sure what to tell her; I've never done any web stuff.

Searching around on the web gives links to people talking about how awesome django is as a web framework, but I don't really understand what django does. Is it only useful for creating web applications with forms and the like or can it also just be used to make nice-looking web sites in a relatively easy way?

What Django and other frameworks basically do is take HTTP requests and serve up HTML in response. The in-browser presentation part of web programming has almost nothing to do with Django directly, all it really has there is an HTML templating language. It's also pretty heavy-weight, starting out with something like Bottle or Flask(which are micro-frameworks that do less stuff but more simply) might be a better idea.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

Python code:
>>> class Foo(object):
...     def __str__(self):
...         return u''
>>> foo = Foo()
>>> type(foo.__str__())
<type 'unicode'>
>>> type(str(foo))
<type 'str'>
str calls __str__ and converts the result to type str.

It was that easy, was it? OK thanks. A little bit of research found the __unicode__ attribute which I really should have looked for to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

"It depends"

I'm sure you know this already, but for the sake of clarity: To make nice looking websites, you don't need any languages other than HTML / CSS.... To make nice looking database driven websites, you'll need some sort of server language.

Python is one of them, and like all the other languages one could use, there are a bunch of MVC frameworks that help you do common tasks like url routing, validating form input, getting data from the DB, displaying data in templates, etc. Two of the biggies in python-land are Flask and Django. They are both good, have different "philosophies".

That said, depending on her needs, something like WordPress (shudder) might be better than diving into a development framework.

• Locked thread