Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Made himself right at home, loves everyone and everything forever. He is 90% purr, 10% spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Went to a fun dog show today and entered Artie into a few shows in which he didn't win anything :downs: his barking at other dogs wasn't a great help although the judges didn't even look at him. The woman with her poodle mix was hilariously huffy at her baby not being chosen and informed me the fun dog show was fixed.

The best thing is I bought him an extra large Stag bar and he LOVES antlers! It's the quietest he's ever been (except when I caught him chewing my bookcase yesterday)!

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Fat Dio posted:

I expect every animal's name to be a literal description of said animal :colbert:
My dogs new names are What Was That Let's Bark At It, Always Hungry and Throw The drat Ball Already

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow's new name would be Big Black Enemy of Large Birds.

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof
My dog's name is Barky :downs:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

"Chew All The Shoe Soles" or "Shits Frozen Yogurt" Because that's basically what comes out of his rear end. My aunt's dog would be "Bark at everyone" or "Miss Huge Bitch"

Anonybominous
Jun 30, 2012

ToastFaceKillah posted:

Made himself right at home, loves everyone and everything forever. He is 90% purr, 10% spots.

Adorable fuzz face! I wanna tickle those (huge) paws!

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Sheila's new name would be rear end in a top hat Collie-Cat, because she obsessively herds me up and down the stairs.

Tama would have been Bitchy McShitsalot, Mini Me would have been Fatty Ding-Dongs, and Clawdia would have been YELLFACE VON DEMENTIA.

On another note, my grandma's thinking of getting a kitten. She hasn't had a cat in years because of allergies in relatives, but she's been seriously thinking about getting a Siamese or Siamese mix. Her previous cat Sage was a Meeze, and Clawdia was always her favorite cat. So there might be a tiny, bat-eared shriek-beast when I visit at the end of May.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

My bird is Squeaky von Poopsalot, I guess. That sort of describes most birds, though.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
My old cats were human being Charlie and Dazzler. I like unique names.

At least all my current pets have more PC names than that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A week ago Sadie groggily accepted belly rubs for the first time. We've come a very long way since then (although she still has to be in the mood for them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2TbOanTm2c&hd=1

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Major is getting renamed to Trainwreck or Clusterfuck.

Freckleman decided I was paying too much attention to the sheep so he somehow got his bottom jaw/soft palate to double in size overnight Friday. I rushed him to the vet who is stumped. She said to load him up with tons of benedryl and if that doesn't work we'll start fishing for a diagnosis. There's no sign of an abscess or foreign body or tooth problem but it's even bigger today so I guess I'm heading back in tomorrow with my wallet open.

Poor dude is miserable and doesn't want to eat or go out. He's just passed out in a corner drooling.

I met a bouncy little terrier named Patapouf a while back, I just now found out it's French slang for "big fat blob".

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
mouse would be mouse because she looks like a mouse

did i do it right

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsowelp posted:

mouse would be mouse because she looks like a mouse

did i do it right

I thought her name would be Teen Pregnancy.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

"Chew All The Shoe Soles" or "Shits Frozen Yogurt" Because that's basically what comes out of his rear end. My aunt's dog would be "Bark at everyone" or "Miss Huge Bitch"

'Giardia'. Cousin's dog would be - "Shut Up" or "Poodle!"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I guess Charlie would be Mr. Kissyface. Or Pear Pilferer. He's mad for pears. I tend to stick to Bananabrain though. He's not gonna win any prizes for his cognitive ability.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Vecna's name would be Can I Bite That

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Keeper's name would be Ferret.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Sitka is so Pretty Princess McRunsALot or Does Not Understand This "NO" Word You Keep Saying Perhaps You Mean Some Other Dog?

Maybe Spoiled Rotten is easier.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

InEscape posted:

Sarabi would be Oh Look An Ear Infection or possibly Gross All Over.

That's weird, I thought she was Kitten Pinata.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

AcetylCoA! posted:

'Giardia'. Cousin's dog would be - "Shut Up" or "Poodle!"

Yeah that's closer. He's 'Giardia' and she's 'shut the hell up!'

We got a sweet new rug today for 20 bucks! 1 hour after having it home, Feldman's torn the corner up and started pulling strings out. :negative: Dog you have 8 toys why do you go after shoes and rugs?

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

That's weird, I thought she was Kitten Pinata.

Hah you're right. I haven't had kittens in ages, I should smack her whale stomach and see what comes out (I'm guessing claws, from the feet direction).

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

The vet thinks Jess has a growth in her stomach, and is likely in light chronic pain that gets a lot worse at times. Trying metacam for a few days.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Sorry Fraction :( Metacam worked miracles with my cat when her mouth went wrong hope it works soon

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof
Poor old Jess :( At least now you know you can help her with the pain.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Thanks guys. The vet doesn't want to operate (or said that he couldn't for where it is? I'm not sure), so it's pretty much management. She could have an ultrasound and a blood test but the vet was pretty certain without it. She should really perk up with the metacam, noticeably so; if she does, we'll be lowering the dose enough to keep her comfortable and to minimise the risk of damage. If she isn't basically bouncing off the walls, the vet suggested steroids, but I think that'd be more delaying the final step than anything. :sigh:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

One of my partners cats was diagnosed at 15 with kidney failure 2 years and 6 months ago, she was given steroids once every 4 weeks along with B12 injections and she's still with us now although the injections are every 3 weeks. She's skinny but happy lording it over the other cats and we joke she may outlive us all.

I know not everyone or their vets approve of long term steroid use but if Jess responds well I hope it gives you more time together.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

Keeper's name would be Ferret.

Keeper's name would be Rainbow Sparkle Fabulous Fluffball.

Fraction posted:

Thanks guys. The vet doesn't want to operate (or said that he couldn't for where it is? I'm not sure), so it's pretty much management. She could have an ultrasound and a blood test but the vet was pretty certain without it. She should really perk up with the metacam, noticeably so; if she does, we'll be lowering the dose enough to keep her comfortable and to minimise the risk of damage. If she isn't basically bouncing off the walls, the vet suggested steroids, but I think that'd be more delaying the final step than anything. :sigh:

:smith: Poor Jess. Hopefully the meds help her out enough that she gets to be a doofy terrier for a while yet.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^^^

She seems a little perkier, but I don't know if it's: all the attention, my friend visiting, or the painkillers.

Zenithbliss posted:

I know not everyone or their vets approve of long term steroid use but if Jess responds well I hope it gives you more time together.

The vet presented it as a definite option - I just don't know enough about steroids in dogs to know if that should be something I could do for her. He did say it'd likely just be delaying the inevitable. It also depends IMO on what effect the painkillers or steroids have on her. If all she can do/does is sleep ad eat, ehhh.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fraction posted:

^^^

She seems a little perkier, but I don't know if it's: all the attention, my friend visiting, or the painkillers.

The vet presented it as a definite option - I just don't know enough about steroids in dogs to know if that should be something I could do for her. He did say it'd likely just be delaying the inevitable. It also depends IMO on what effect the painkillers or steroids have on her. If all she can do/does is sleep ad eat, ehhh.

Depending on what kind of mass it is steroids can shrink some of them, but cancers that respond in that way to steroids usually get resistant to the effects of steroids quickly. If it's a mass that doesn't directly respond to steroids there can sometimes be inflammation around those masses that can respond and shrink.

Adverse effects of steroids in dogs include: drinking and peeing a lot, eating a lot, and for more long term (and depending on dose) pot-bellied appearance, weight gain, and skin changes. Sometimes with steroids there can be clinical immune suppression (unless that's what you're dosing for in the first place). Rarely they can have intestinal problems.

The metacam is an anti inflammatory and thus shouldn't have any of the sedation that pain killers have. Antiinflammatories can affect liver, kidneys, and intestines, but those are all usually rare.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Metacam isn't a painkiller at all? The vet said it was, I'm sure. He said it'd have been a good idea to use it when she was having an episode of hair raised, sides in, reluctant to move etc. He did mention the metacam might have a kidney or liver impact but that it's pretty much... what can you do, either or situation. The dose I'm to give her for a couple days is currently the dose for a 10kg dog, though she weighs more than that, in the hope of avoiding the side effects - which may be more prevalent in an older dog, I guess?

Would she put on weight on steroids even with the growth? He thought that was why she's still quite thin - despite how much food she's getting atm (nearly twice what she was on before, even though I've ramped her activity back down to basically nothing again after the period when she wouldn't walk or eat for a couple of days).

Is there anything you'd recommend bringing up / asking about when I go in on Thursday?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sorry to hear about Jess, Fraction. She's one of my favourite PI dogs. Hope things go alright for you two.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fraction posted:

Would she put on weight on steroids even with the growth?

I had a ferret on prednisone long term, and the vet explained that he'd put back on the weight he'd lost as a result of the cancer because it would increase his appetite. He ended up gaining about 15% of his total body weight over the next few months, buy he was pretty gaunt from also having had ulcers not long before the cancer cropped up.

So it seems likely that Jess will put on some weight, if the steroids are able to effectively shrink the tumor a bit and reduce inflammation, since they will almost certainly increase her appetite.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fraction posted:

Metacam isn't a painkiller at all? The vet said it was, I'm sure. He said it'd have been a good idea to use it when she was having an episode of hair raised, sides in, reluctant to move etc. He did mention the metacam might have a kidney or liver impact but that it's pretty much... what can you do, either or situation. The dose I'm to give her for a couple days is currently the dose for a 10kg dog, though she weighs more than that, in the hope of avoiding the side effects - which may be more prevalent in an older dog, I guess?

Would she put on weight on steroids even with the growth? He thought that was why she's still quite thin - despite how much food she's getting atm (nearly twice what she was on before, even though I've ramped her activity back down to basically nothing again after the period when she wouldn't walk or eat for a couple of days).

Is there anything you'd recommend bringing up / asking about when I go in on Thursday?

If there's inflammation (which would be causing pain) then the metacam would work as a pain control medication. When I think of pain control meds, I think of things like morphine which don't do anything else than relieve pain, whereas metacam reduces inflammation, thus reducing pain. It's a bit of a technicality, but in some cases it makes a difference. The side effects are usually pretty rare.

Knowing exactly where the mass is and potentially what it is might be able to help with some treatment ideas. It sounds like they brought up ultrasound, which can give some good information regarding location. If they're comfortable with it, they may also be able to sample the mass with a technique where a thin needle is inserted with ultrasound guidance into the mass to try and remove a few cells to get an idea (or even determine exactly in some cases) the kind of mass you're dealing with. There certainly are mass locations that I would not want to perform surgery on - the one thing that isn't making sense to me is how they know the location without doing ultrasound (did they do x-rays?), unless there are other signs and/or physical exam findings that I can't feel myself (since the Internet isn't big enough for my hand to fit through yet :saddowns:). Personally I'm a huge fan of imaging to determine locations of masses, whereas other vets are more inclined to use their physical exam.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
My trainer said to buy some knuckle bones because Vecna shouldn't be able to easily chew through them.

Welp.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Triangulum posted:

My trainer said to buy some knuckle bones because Vecna shouldn't be able to easily chew through them.

Welp.
When I give those to Pi I set a timer and take them away after 30 minutes. He'll stuff himself otherwise.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Triangulum posted:

I swear dogs take statements like that as challenges.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

McDragon posted:

Sorry to hear about Jess, Fraction. She's one of my favourite PI dogs. Hope things go alright for you two.

Thank you :unsmith: I'm not sure how things will progress from here.

Serella posted:

I had a ferret on prednisone long term, and the vet explained that he'd put back on the weight he'd lost as a result of the cancer because it would increase his appetite. He ended up gaining about 15% of his total body weight over the next few months, buy he was pretty gaunt from also having had ulcers not long before the cancer cropped up.

So it seems likely that Jess will put on some weight, if the steroids are able to effectively shrink the tumor a bit and reduce inflammation, since they will almost certainly increase her appetite.

She certainly doesn't have appetite problems - apart from when she has an episode. That is one thing she has going for her atm! Maybe I should just start giving her all of the food? :shrug:

HelloSailorSign posted:

If there's inflammation (which would be causing pain) then the metacam would work as a pain control medication. When I think of pain control meds, I think of things like morphine which don't do anything else than relieve pain, whereas metacam reduces inflammation, thus reducing pain. It's a bit of a technicality, but in some cases it makes a difference. The side effects are usually pretty rare.

Knowing exactly where the mass is and potentially what it is might be able to help with some treatment ideas. It sounds like they brought up ultrasound, which can give some good information regarding location. If they're comfortable with it, they may also be able to sample the mass with a technique where a thin needle is inserted with ultrasound guidance into the mass to try and remove a few cells to get an idea (or even determine exactly in some cases) the kind of mass you're dealing with. There certainly are mass locations that I would not want to perform surgery on - the one thing that isn't making sense to me is how they know the location without doing ultrasound (did they do x-rays?), unless there are other signs and/or physical exam findings that I can't feel myself (since the Internet isn't big enough for my hand to fit through yet :saddowns:). Personally I'm a huge fan of imaging to determine locations of masses, whereas other vets are more inclined to use their physical exam.

Right, got you. The vet might have said something about metacam as an anti inflammatory - it sounds familiar but I wasn't taking everything in.

He did bring up ultrasound & blood tests, but pretty much said that it'd just show where it is exactly? That it mightn't be worth it. He didn't mention anything about extracting cells but he said operating wasn't gonna be an option. He said it was likely on her kidney or liver? Test was pretty much: checking her gums (very pale), feeling a noticeable firm bulge in her stomach (and her unhappy reaction to being prodded there - turning her head quickly to him, whale eyes) and weighing her. The bulge is enough that her stomach feels hard even to me now.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fraction posted:

She certainly doesn't have appetite problems - apart from when she has an episode. That is one thing she has going for her atm! Maybe I should just start giving her all of the food? :shrug:

Well, it's true that unlike dogs, ferrets are generally self-regulators. I'd give Jess the opportunity to eat more, anyway, especially if she's underweight. And honestly, when they get to the point of being on steroids potentially for the rest of their remaining life, I feel justified spoiling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Welp.

Your dog seriously cracks me up. I tell everyone your stories about him. :3:

• Locked thread