Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
One night a couple of years ago I was 4 sharp, blind bends away from home, coming back from my then night-job as a barman. It was about 2am and the roads were empty, so I was riding somewhat dong-like. I pulled a small power wheelie on the bike as I came out of the corner only to see a police car coming the other way. I saw a flash of orange from his indicators as he went round the corner, and figured he was turning around to come and give me a bollocking. Being now only 3 turns away from home, turns I knew very well, I gunned it through the last corners, clutched in and switched the ignition off by the key, flying into my dark driveway as fast as I dared, flipped out the kickstand and hopped behind the neighbours car just in time to see him pass.

There have been times when I've felt more smug than that in my life, but not many.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Key for life, all y'all kill switch people are weird

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I always used the killswitch on the Kawi because I could hit it without moving my hands from the clutch/brake levers. The Triumph manual says to use the key, so I use the key.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You can do this with the key, too, with the added benefit of no lights.

Unless your key turns off your power steering and you lose your brake booster when the engine's off, or something.

Messing with the key of a moving vehicle is something I always was taught was a total no no, for a wide variety of reasons. Not to mention turning the engine off with the key while moving, I need to take a hand off the bars. I have no trouble manuevering a bike at slow speed with two hands, but I'm not comfortable enough doing it reliably with one, especially when the kill switch is already by my thumb.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think I got started using the key instead of killswitch as a kid, I'm guessing the majority of you using the killswitch learned to ride in the MSF or similar programs. I remembered to do it for all of a week afterwards, if even that long.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I kill my bike with the kickstand. This is the superior method.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You can do this with the key, too, with the added benefit of no lights.

My bike has no lights when it's running anyway unless I specifically turn them on. So you can do this with the killswitch :smugdog:

I have a friend who uses the key method, and once after we swapped bikes for a little while (he has a Versys...interesting thing but I dunno if I'd want to own one) I gave him his bike back with the killswitch off and he couldn't figure out how to start it for like a minute. So there's that too I guess.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I kill my bike by stalling it with the brakes and clutch. OG method.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The right way is to pull close to the spot, then dump the clutch with no throttle so the bike lurches into the spot and dies.

Edit: :argh: ^^

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
The reason you use the killswitch is because this way you can make sure the killswitch works, or is that why you use the killswitch on an airplane I've forgotten

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

front wing flexing posted:

Can you post the crash video? Kinda want to see that.

As requested :) http://youtu.be/FRZyr-iiMKQ

Notable moments:
  • 1:00 - wind gust of doom
  • 1:10 - my mother's audible reaction to the rig crashing into the roof directly above her head
  • 2:20 - me recovering the camera from deep in a bush
  • 2:30 - my Dad's brilliant parting question to end the scene (we were scheduled to do a take for his employer the next day)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

As requested :) http://youtu.be/FRZyr-iiMKQ

Notable moments:
  • 1:00 - wind gust of doom
  • 1:10 - my mother's audible reaction to the rig crashing into the roof directly above her head
  • 2:20 - me recovering the camera from deep in a bush
  • 2:30 - my Dad's brilliant parting question to end the scene (we were scheduled to do a take for his employer the next day)

Royal is right, dem some affluent houses in dem parts.

Thanks for digging it up!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

infraboy posted:

Tomales/Marshall/Nick's Cove, part of Highway 1 west of Petaluma/Marin county

Hey, you're only an hour out from Oakland! If you're ever around the south bay, definitely come hang. :)

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I came across this girl today. So pretty...I only wish the owner had come by to start it up so I could hear it. Brapply :allears:

(Honda GB500)

Definitely one of the bikes for my dream stable.

Were you in San Francisco for this? I feel like I've seen this bike around. But then again, I've been spoiled by being able to talk to more than a handful of GB500 owners in the past 3 months.

Also, since somebody mentioned the Bay Area, does anybody go to Bay Area Moto Shop?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep, it was in San Francisco. It's the second time I've seen a GB500 here, but since they all have the same paint job I could have just seen the same motorcycle twice I guess.

Never been to that specific store. Maybe z3n has?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Schlieren posted:

The reason you use the killswitch is because this way you can make sure the killswitch works, or is that why you use the killswitch on an airplane I've forgotten

No, this is why you use the killswitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXVCVMr_pk

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

KozmoNaut posted:

No, this is why you use the killswitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXVCVMr_pk

Kinds of surprised none of them blew the gently caress out of their exhausts or didn't do any damage to their engines. Except for the twat that crashed.

I know it's all in fun, but that would scare the gently caress out of people in town, specifically kids, do it on backroads to eachother and animals or something.

Also hope he got hit with a fine for hitting that car.

fake edit: on a lighter note, flicking the killswitch at night when you're being tailgated works wonders. I don't do it, but I was out riding with a mate and we were being tailgated so he did it and the driver backed right the gently caress off, was killing myself.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Hate to be a party pooper, but multiple cameras on tripods covering that stuff doesn't exactly scream hooligans, but staged antics. When the woman runs out, there's a dude on the right in the perfect spot with a tripod setup. The mirror clip may have been in the same vein.

Edit: Oh, read the description saying it was by a bike magazine, so mos-def staged. Except for the scaring people, but that's perfectly fine :getin:

Bixington fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 14, 2013

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Does that backfire trick only work on carbed bikes? I tried that on my f4i before and couldn't get it to work.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

xd posted:

Does that backfire trick only work on carbed bikes? I tried that on my f4i before and couldn't get it to work.

Yes, because on an EFI bike the fuel flow would stop when the kill switch is flicked.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bella.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yes, because on an EFI bike the fuel flow would stop when the kill switch is flicked.

I've tried it on my old carbed bike and never managed to make it work. Got done really nice backfires by accident when the battery was low one night, though.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, it was in San Francisco. It's the second time I've seen a GB500 here, but since they all have the same paint job I could have just seen the same motorcycle twice I guess.

Never been to that specific store. Maybe z3n has?

The moto parking lines are a dead giveaway. Bay Area Moto Shop is like a co-op with 7 bays/lifts and tools that are open to the public to use provided you sign their waiver and pay some shop fees. I just recently started volunteering there regularly.

I've had a few mechanics over the years tell me not to use the killswitch because there is a slight chance when they get older to get stuck in either on or off. Keys all the way here :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh noes.

Here's another reason to use the kill switch: This is what I look at when I'm parking somewhere.

And this is how tight the key area is. Tough to fiddle with gloves on.

I think it's just good practice to be in the habit of killing it with the switch cause it'll come easy to me if I have a crash or something. That and you keep your hand on the bars.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I had no idea this was a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7QFBZq1Svk

I'm tempted to try it. But I'm pretty sure it's going to gently caress something up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've never heard of anyone's bike getting messed up because of that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Some (most?) EFI bikes will allow fuel to flow as long as the engine is turning, that's how bump-starting works. My old (fuel-injected) Laverda, with straight-through Termingionis, was loving brilliant for shotgunning - the bits of burning exhaust packing being shot out with the flames really added something to the experience.

I've mentioned this before but fly-by-wire Aprilias won't restart after you've hit the killswitch until you stop and put it in neutral, which is just not very Italian IMO.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's not brilliant for your exhausts, and I suppose it's not going to do a lot of good for your exhaust valves, but it's very unlikely to cause damage on its own.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some (most?) EFI bikes will allow fuel to flow as long as the engine is turning, that's how bump-starting works.

Seems weird that it would still allow fuel with the kill switch to kill but I'll take your word for it. :)

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

xd posted:

You can get EFI bikes to backfire in other ways. I had the process of getting my SV650S to backfire down to a fine art, as did the next owner. We both worked onsite at a uni in Brisbane, and we'd make a game of backfiring the bike as we went past students on a particular roundabout.

Remus muffler, no baffle, PAIR valve still enabled, and some overrun. Nice pop out the back that'd make students jump (and I'm told on one occasion, cry.)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Bixington posted:

Hate to be a party pooper, but multiple cameras on tripods covering that stuff doesn't exactly scream hooligans, but staged antics. When the woman runs out, there's a dude on the right in the perfect spot with a tripod setup. The mirror clip may have been in the same vein.

Edit: Oh, read the description saying it was by a bike magazine, so mos-def staged. Except for the scaring people, but that's perfectly fine :getin:

Oh, didn't see that. Still, eh. To each their own.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

EvilCrayon posted:

...because there is a slight chance when they get older to get stuck in either on or off.
At which point, like with so many other moto-thingies, you go "Aw, gently caress", deal with whatever gets you home/to work, and order the part online when you get a chance.

Just seems like "The kill switch went bad because I used it 53 times to backfire for laughs, and 1241 times to shut the bike off" is hard to distinguish from "The kill switch went bad because I never, ever used it."

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It will blow apart rusty mufflers with the quickness. And newer bikes that have catalytic converters in the cans REALLY don't like it.. I'm looking at you, 02 R6's! (it breaks apart and plugs the exhaust).

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Post more pictures and videos of bikes you loving clods, can you guys take your "HOW TO MAKE MY BIKE FART" discussion to the discussion thread? Or you know post pictures of bikes farting and poo poo.
Here have some bikes

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I saw an fz8 in person for the first time. It looks just like what I wanted my fz6 naked conversion to look like. Other than the exhaust, I think its a gorgeous bike. A quick look at the yamaha website shows that it will have adjustable suspension next year. Unfortunately there still aren't any real colors available. I think it would look fantastic in yamaha blue.

My fz6 shortly before selling it. The headlight was from a Yamaha FZ16 or something. I bought it from an Indian fellow that puts kits together.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why do I always wash my wheels before I lube my chain? Dumb.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"Hmm it was real nice this weekend" I think to myself, "worth it to check on the junkies."

I wasn't disappointed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQ-5mWNOLo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I.......what even happened there?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You can see the kickstand drag (forgot to put it up and didn't have a kill switch I guess? ) and then she straightens up and nails the brakes (brand new lines, pads, etc that she wasn't used to) and she's left waiting for a helicopter ride.

Another one crashed on a tricky left hander over a small bridge. I know it sounds like a dick but this is why I don't group ride with people. Someone crashing ruins a nice day.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 15, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Yea it looked like a newbie mistake at first, but then you can see the kickstand make a white skid line on the road before the crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why don't kickstands just fold up when that happens? They're all hinged towards the rear, right?