Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hammeritme
Oct 28, 2002

I like the cut of your jib
How do you guys go about getting skill endorsements? I hate asking people for them and they seem like a pointless circle jerk but I feel inadequate with my current level of "endorsements"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Endorse a bunch of people and they'll endorse you back. It's pretty pointless though. I have an "endorsement" for Visio even though I have never used it. I intend to remove it if I find myself actively applying for jobs again. A good interviewer will push someone to demonstrate their advertised skills.

Tiresias MKII
Jun 8, 2006
Thanks for this thread.
I have several questions:
1) How long does it usually takes to be accepted on any group?
2) Can you add people from certain countries or is it recommended to add everyone and their pets?
3) Is it true you need to have 50 connections to reach all-star level?

Any advice on job seeking with LinkedIn in the UK for chemical engineer with barely any experience will be appreciated.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

hammeritme posted:

How do you guys go about getting skill endorsements? I hate asking people for them and they seem like a pointless circle jerk but I feel inadequate with my current level of "endorsements"

I keep getting endorsed all the time. It's useful when you get endorsed by someone who's in your line of work, or similar. But I never asked to be endorsed for anything, and get endorsed by acquaintances all the time, so this is one of those situations where I let my work do the talking - in this case, it's regarding content writing, design or music. So I'd recommend you endorse people for skills you know they actually do have, and you'll get endorsed as well.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tiresias MKII posted:

Thanks for this thread.
I have several questions:
1) How long does it usually takes to be accepted on any group?
2) Can you add people from certain countries or is it recommended to add everyone and their pets?
3) Is it true you need to have 50 connections to reach all-star level?

Any advice on job seeking with LinkedIn in the UK for chemical engineer with barely any experience will be appreciated.

1) instantly to a week is what I've seen. The longer one was due to a verification process for the group.

2) you mean will LI let you search by country?

3) yes (assuming you have done the other things)

Tiresias MKII
Jun 8, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

Totally TWISTED posted:

2) you mean will LI let you search by country?

Yep that's what I meant sorry.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

hammeritme posted:

Just as Rad said, endorse other people (legit...) and many will endorse you back.

However, I find endorsements to be a bit...useless, just like the entire idea of "connections" on linkedin. Everyone just connects randomly and endorses without actually knowing the person has those skills, so it all becomes pointless. I'm still collecting them like pokemon anyway.

The LI network is super valuable but those aspects of it...aren't.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I just wanted to jump in and say that I really like and am proud of how active the Discussions area of the group on LinkedIn is. It seems like there are a lot of really helpful, intelligent and realistic comments being made. Good job, goons. :hfive:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

So I'm on my first real job hunt, and I've been doing a lot of face-to-face network visiting places that I'd like to work, traveling to the areas I'm most interested in, touring firms etc.

This is touched on in the OP, but I guess I'm posting for additional reinforcement/opinions... In my college program our professors were pretty adamant about using social tools like linkedin to help us professionally, but opinions on linkedin etiquette seem to be varied across the board and it can be a little confusing. More specifically we were pretty emphatically told that linkedin connections are only to be used essentially if you're a colleague of the person you're connecting with, that you should know them very well, etc.

Should I be sending out connection requests to the people I'm meeting with? Like if someone gives me a tour of their firm, chats with me a little bit about applying or what the job I'm pursuing is like, and then I leave, should I be connecting with that person on linkedin? According to my past professors, this would definitely not be something you should do, but I'm starting to feel the opposite.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

redjenova posted:

More specifically we were pretty emphatically told that linkedin connections are only to be used essentially if you're a colleague of the person you're connecting with, that you should know them very well, etc.

It seems to me that no one that actually uses LinkedIn follows this.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Doghouse posted:

It seems to me that no one that actually uses LinkedIn follows this.

Particularly because as soon as you send a connection request, LinkedIn sends you to a page that allows you to one-click connect with people "you might know." With zero justification.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

redjenova posted:

So I'm on my first real job hunt, and I've been doing a lot of face-to-face network visiting places that I'd like to work, traveling to the areas I'm most interested in, touring firms etc.

This is touched on in the OP, but I guess I'm posting for additional reinforcement/opinions... In my college program our professors were pretty adamant about using social tools like linkedin to help us professionally, but opinions on linkedin etiquette seem to be varied across the board and it can be a little confusing. More specifically we were pretty emphatically told that linkedin connections are only to be used essentially if you're a colleague of the person you're connecting with, that you should know them very well, etc.

Should I be sending out connection requests to the people I'm meeting with? Like if someone gives me a tour of their firm, chats with me a little bit about applying or what the job I'm pursuing is like, and then I leave, should I be connecting with that person on linkedin? According to my past professors, this would definitely not be something you should do, but I'm starting to feel the opposite.

In informational interviews I have tossed in a question about sending them a LinkedIn connection and have overwhelmingly received yes responses, but I'm sure your contacts would appreciate the formality.

Pug
Nov 26, 2008

in_cahoots posted:

I've been getting a lot of calls from random recruiters who've found my resume online and want me to interview for jobs in Silicon Valley. Most of the time I'm not really interested after hearing the job description, but they make a point not to tell me what company I would actually be interviewing with. Are these recruiters likely to be the ones on retainer, or just external agencies throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks?

I work in a recruiting agency. I guess we fit in the retainer category ,but to me that means something different. Retainer contracts usually mean you get paid whether you fill the position or not. We have done that in the past ,but the usual contract is a flat % based on first years salary and potentially any bonuses of any candidates we submit who are hired. For temps it is a % of their hourly wage with a flat fee added if they are hired. We make a point not to mention the name of the company to our potential candidates(you in this case)because of this. If we tell the potential candidates up front the name of the company there is a higher chance the candidate could go around us and conspire with the client to avoid the fee. The recruiters who are working with you are probably what other people in this thread are calling "on retainer".

EDIT: This was already answered more bluntly. Just ask what kind of company it is and they should tell you the field (IE: IT, oil and gas, finance, etc.)

Pug fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 15, 2013

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

So when a recruiter's listing makes it obvious who the company is without naming the company should I not put the company name in the cover letter I write? I was trying to show my investigative skills/drive but maybe that would just make a recruiter toss my app?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Pug posted:

I work in a recruiting agency. I guess we fit in the retainer category ,but to me that means something different. Retainer contracts usually mean you get paid whether you fill the position or not. We have done that in the past ,but the usual contract is a flat % based on first years salary and potentially any bonuses of any candidates we submit who are hired. For temps it is a % of their hourly wage with a flat fee added if they are hired. We make a point not to mention the name of the company to our potential candidates(you in this case)because of this. If we tell the potential candidates up front the name of the company there is a higher chance the candidate could go around us and conspire with the client to avoid the fee. The recruiters who are working with you are probably what other people in this thread are calling "on retainer".

At what point do you typically bring up what company you're recruiting for? The field I look in most often is automotive, so there are companies that will be around for awhile and there are companies that have struggled drastically. "Large tier 1 supplier" typically doesn't tell me whether or not it's a company I'd even consider, so I get frustrated when a recruiter wants to talk to me for an hour and a half without ever mentioning who we're talking about.

Also HiroProtagonist, thanks for the PM follow up, that's basically what I was looking for (RE: temp to hire positions, and moving somewhere out of current region). I've got a pretty solid LinkedIn profile now, and I've sent my resume mainly to friends that know recruiters in the area I want to move to. Already have a few recruiters adding me as a contact as a result, which is the main thing I was looking for. Happy days.

Pug
Nov 26, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

So when a recruiter's listing makes it obvious who the company is without naming the company should I not put the company name in the cover letter I write? I was trying to show my investigative skills/drive but maybe that would just make a recruiter toss my app?

They may toss you if it makes them nervous. Next time you speak with the recruiter just convey to them whether or not you have already submitted your application to the company on your own and your interest level.

Brian Fellows posted:

At what point do you typically bring up what company you're recruiting for? The field I look in most often is automotive, so there are companies that will be around for awhile and there are companies that have struggled drastically. "Large tier 1 supplier" typically doesn't tell me whether or not it's a company I'd even consider, so I get frustrated when a recruiter wants to talk to me for an hour and a half without ever mentioning who we're talking about.

Also HiroProtagonist, thanks for the PM follow up, that's basically what I was looking for (RE: temp to hire positions, and moving somewhere out of current region). I've got a pretty solid LinkedIn profile now, and I've sent my resume mainly to friends that know recruiters in the area I want to move to. Already have a few recruiters adding me as a contact as a result, which is the main thing I was looking for. Happy days.

I can't say 100% because automotive isn't our specific field and the correct answer varies depending on the recruiter and the relationship s/he has with you. Try asking questions that will help you determine if you are interested in the company. Simply ask the recruiter if the company has struggled recently and tell the recruiter what you are looking for.

Pug fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 15, 2013

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Maybe there's a nice way to say "I don't want to work for companies X, Y, or Z but I'm open to hearing about others."

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Particularly because as soon as you send a connection request, LinkedIn sends you to a page that allows you to one-click connect with people "you might know." With zero justification.

I hate this, I try to keep a close network of people that I actually have worked with, and then I get an invite from someone I have never heard of before in my entire life who turns out to be some distant connection to someone I know.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Omgbees posted:

I hate this, I try to keep a close network of people that I actually have worked with, and then I get an invite from someone I have never heard of before in my entire life who turns out to be some distant connection to someone I know.

Then don't accept it? You aren't obligated to accept every single connection request you get.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

I just wanted to jump in and say that I really like and am proud of how active the Discussions area of the group on LinkedIn is. It seems like there are a lot of really helpful, intelligent and realistic comments being made. Good job, goons. :hfive:

This thread has really given me that extra push needed to make my LinkeIn account matter. I'm happy how the discussions are going in the Stairmasters group, it's been quite motivational. I'm checking in every day, making updates on my profile, and my profile keeps getting more visible and easier to find. I've been applying for more freelancing jobs because now I can find them more easily, I've even made a job interview for a teaching position at the same place where I attended my design courses - they had a job ad, it's near where I live, and I went there to introduce myself. Turns out it was a great idea because this place still keeps an article about me in their brochure and it made me seem like a go-getter. So thank you OP and fellow goons.

About accepting or sending connection requests from/to people you don't personally know: LinkedIn is in its basis a social network, so it's natural that you make connections with people you don't know IRL. You don't have to follow those rules if it makes you uncomfortable or if you want to make a network consisting only of people you directly know. But LinkedIn works best if you want to spread your network.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
This popped up on LinkedIn for me today, it was an interesting read and probably relevant to many people in this thread.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130416162512-15454-is-a-hiring-rebound-around-the-corner?trk=eml-mktg-condig-0108-p1

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Serious question for HiroProtaganist and anyone.

I am in the USA now. I recently left the education field and am going back into Sales (which I previously was working in).

In my LinkedIn account I want to change my "choose industry" in my "edit profile" to sales, but there is no "sales" and no "account executive" industry choice.

What am I to do?

Thanks.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Positive Optimyst posted:

I am in the USA now. I recently left the education field and am going back into Sales (which I previously was working in).

In my LinkedIn account I want to change my "choose industry" in my "edit profile" to sales, but there is no "sales" and no "account executive" industry choice.

What am I to do?

Thanks.

Sales and Account Executive are more of positions than industries though, so you'll still need to select Furniture or Tobacco or whatnot. It seems they want to emphasize field rather than skillset. It kind of makes sense but at the same time, marketing a phone isn't terribly different from marketing a chicken sandwich. But you'll have to choose, so if you're currently split between industries probably go with the one that you like to do more.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

HiroProtagonist posted:

This popped up on LinkedIn for me today, it was an interesting read and probably relevant to many people in this thread.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130416162512-15454-is-a-hiring-rebound-around-the-corner?trk=eml-mktg-condig-0108-p1

I wish they would adjust those charts and weigh by median salary or something. Two posted jobs at McDonalds paying $7.50 each is better than one job paying $15, according to those charts. I guess that's more of a BLS issue tho.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

So I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing, as evidenced by my other posts in this thread! But I've been connecting with some recruiters at companies where I've just recently, in the past week or so, sending in applications. These places tend to be the 'apply online via this strict form' type and don't have any alternate contact information, and I can't find any alternate routes to contact them for any kind of follow-up. Would this be something to message the recruiter about? I feel like I've gotten this far, making contacts, and now I'm not really sure what to do with them :(

e: got a message from a recruiter after posting this. Well, cool!

mareep fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 22, 2013

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ congrats! :)

Positive Optimyst posted:

What am I to do?

Thanks.

I'd pay more attention to your listed title on Linkedin, which you can make to be anything you want, including "Sales Account Executive." I think as far as industry goes, if that really concerns you, "Sales and Marketing" or just "Marketing" would suffice just fine.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'd pay more attention to your listed title on Linkedin, which you can make to be anything you want, including "Sales Account Executive." I think as far as industry goes, if that really concerns you, "Sales and Marketing" or just "Marketing" would suffice just fine.

Thanks, Hiro.

Appreciate your input. I changed it.

I am now getting 3 calls per day to schedule interviews and about 2 emails per day and I am just getting started!!!

And USDA ^^^, thank you.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
No problem at all. It's why I created this thread!

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Cheers.

Here is an ignorant question: at the top of my home page on LinkIn it states loudly:

Welcome, ******! See Who You Already Know on LinkedIn

Get started by adding your email address.

Is this adding all of my contacts on my yahoo email address to be invited to LinkIn and/or connected to me?

Or,

Is this just me adding my email onto my profile?

*I do NOT want certain contacts on my yahoo address-book invited to LinkedIn.

Positive Optimyst fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 23, 2013

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It doesn't invite them automatically, it only imports the email addresses for you to choose whom to invite (same goes for Gmail, etc.). My recommendation is absolutely to do it.

It does not attach that email to your profile or anything else.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HiroProtagonist posted:

It doesn't invite them automatically, it only imports the email addresses for you to choose whom to invite (same goes for Gmail, etc.). My recommendation is absolutely to do it.

It does not attach that email to your profile or anything else.

Done.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So I've been trying to follow the OP's advice, such as connecting with recruiters in my groups and following up with the "Hi [NAME], I just wanted to send you a quick note to let you know that I'm current looking..." style note... but what do I do when a recruiter tells me to just apply on their website? Should I just take it for what it is and hope that he/she will remember my message when they start looking through LinkedIn for job candidates, or what?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Definitely follow instructions. Reply saying something such as "Sure, no problem. Is there a place I can enter your name as a referrer, and if so would you be okay with that?"

This is as close to a guarantee as you can get that they'll give you some personal attention, because it tells them you know what's up with the recruiting game, and that they'll be rewarded for giving you a couple extra pushes towards the top of the stack. Almost every company offers referral bonuses, so for a recruiter who's already at least getting paid on commission, if not drawing a salary, it's pure gravy for them and a great incentive to help you out where they can.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Should I mention in my summary section that I want to move abroad? My goal is to live in California, and maybe I should point this out in my bio/introduction.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Has anyone had any experience with Aquent?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
When applying to a job on LinkedIn, what format is your resume/cover letter? Does it matter?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

When applying to a job on LinkedIn, what format is your resume/cover letter? Does it matter?

Some jobs want .docs, others dislike them for whatever reason. If you can send both a doc and a pdf, that is pretty good (since everybody can read a pdf).

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Some recruiters want .doc format so they can gussy them up before passing them on. Send a .pdf unless you secretly titillate at the thought of a surprise interview for COBOL helpdesk architect.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Some interesting SlideShares from LinkedIn:

http://www.slideshare.net/linkedin/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiresias MKII
Jun 8, 2006
So is there like a super secret password for stairmasters group? I feel like I need a lot of work on my profile. :sigh:

• Locked thread