Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
I'm not really sure what badly pixelated means in this context when the pixels match the textures of the world around them and make cute little pixel people that can walk around in a Dragon Quest appropriate tiled environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012
I think the VII remake looks fine, it's not as if the original was a looker (outside of the battles anyway). It looks in line with the PS2 version of V which looks great, and besides I think people would've been disappointed if the game was in line with the DS remakes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Once it looks worse than Wild Arms, you may complain.

Those first two games may have been ugly as sin but they loving ruled. :colbert:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

Those first two games may have been ugly as sin but they loving ruled. :colbert:

The translation for 2 was abysmal, but I enjoyed them as well. The Lord Blazer theme still gets me pumped.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've finally gotten around to trying the translation of Caravan Hearts and it's a lot different than I was anticipating. Not just compared to the other DQM games, but DQ in general. Something just feels weird about playing a game within a series all about exploration, and now I have to do so while making sure I don't push myself too hard and that my slime doesn't die of starvation.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 11, 2013

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012
Did anyone else see the concept video for DQ10 that was shown recently? The proof video looks as if it was built on the DQVIII engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65bW_vAj-o

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

iastudent posted:

I've finally gotten around to trying the translation of Caravan Hearts and it's a lot different than I was anticipating. Not just compared to the other DQM games, but DQ in general. Something just feels weird about playing a game within a series all about exploration, and now I have to do so while making sure I don't push myself too hard and that my slime doesn't die of starvation.

That's the one based on Oregon Trail, right?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's the one based on Oregon Trail, right?

In a sense, yeah. There's a rations meter you have to keep track of and the rate at which it goes down is based on which terrain you walk on.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So I've been replaying DQ9 with a minor gimmick of using more then four party members and rotating and class changing often.

Got all seven Fyggs without a single character getting above 25 :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If you're class changing often then saying nobody's about 25 might not mean much if they've all got 3-4x the points to spend as a result. I mean I maxxed out swords on my main character as soon as class changing opened up and aside from minstrel his highest level at the time was 12.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
All I want to know is if the Immigrant Town in the remake of VII is less insane. I tried to beat VII but kept getting wasted in the final dungeon, and the only way to get a lot of the good armor is to build like three different versions of the immigrant town and the fuckery required with transferring guys between save files just got old.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Twelve by Pies posted:

All I want to know is if the Immigrant Town in the remake of VII is less insane. I tried to beat VII but kept getting wasted in the final dungeon, and the only way to get a lot of the good armor is to build like three different versions of the immigrant town and the fuckery required with transferring guys between save files just got old.

Immigrant town is completely revamped, it's a much smaller activity that revolves around a mini-quest chain of finding specific town characters, and serves as the base for custom plate dungeons that you make or get via wireless trade. It's not nearly as important in terms of getting endgame equipment because there are no alternate versions this time.

If you find you're having trouble in the remake, you can easily build up your characters using custom dungeons. As any dungeon you make yourself gives job points, you can make a dungeon filled with Slimes and go to town. Alternatively, you can fill a dungeon with Goldmen and metal slimes and get stronger that way too. VII's still a time sink but the added content lets you focus your time investment a bit better.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Robotic Accolade posted:

Immigrant town is completely revamped, it's a much smaller activity that revolves around a mini-quest chain of finding specific town characters, and serves as the base for custom plate dungeons that you make or get via wireless trade. It's not nearly as important in terms of getting endgame equipment because there are no alternate versions this time.

If you find you're having trouble in the remake, you can easily build up your characters using custom dungeons. As any dungeon you make yourself gives job points, you can make a dungeon filled with Slimes and go to town. Alternatively, you can fill a dungeon with Goldmen and metal slimes and get stronger that way too. VII's still a time sink but the added content lets you focus your time investment a bit better.

Honestly that sounds a lot better. Any time I don't have to mess with multiple endings is a good thing.

Now all they have to do is announce it's coming out here.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
So what's the odds of us getting DQM2 3D this time? After the crazy success (and awesomeness) of the Terry's Wonderland I'd thought we'd have it by now but if they were planning on making a bigger sequel it'd make sense to wait for the sequel.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Robotic Accolade posted:

Wait, you can make a dungeon filled with nothing but Metal Slimes and go to town?

And I thought getting the Masayuki map was insane.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Getting the Masayuki map IS insane. I can't begin to think of how many dozens if not hundreds of hours that map shaved off my playtime thanks to getting it (3 times) at PAX and then promptly making sure the few people I knew who played it got it from me. It's easily 50-100x faster than Slime Hill or anything else.

Leveling never seemed like an issue in DQ7 to me but anything that gets the hero and Gabo to being mastered Godhands is welcome.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait, you can make a dungeon filled with nothing but Metal Slimes and go to town?

I've done that, but they still run away.

Besides, even if you do pick only metals as the three monsters you're assigning to build a shard map, the game automatically adds beasts several pages away on the beastiary.
Consequently, you also get other monsters appearing alongside the metals.

I also found over-leveling to be more of a problem--I often stopped earning skill points (or whatever those expertise points are called) in the main game because my party was too high in level.
Thankfully, the shard maps you make always give you skill points so you can level jobs all you want.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 6, 2013

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Getting the Masayuki map IS insane. I can't begin to think of how many dozens if not hundreds of hours that map shaved off my playtime thanks to getting it (3 times) at PAX and then promptly making sure the few people I knew who played it got it from me. It's easily 50-100x faster than Slime Hill or anything else.

Leveling never seemed like an issue in DQ7 to me but anything that gets the hero and Gabo to being mastered Godhands is welcome.

Oh man, good times... I remember bringing my DS to Toronto Comicon just for the hell of it. I was beside myself at the end of the day when the map popped up! Maxed out all my little dudes and dudettes; that map alone pushed my playtime past 200 hours.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Dr Pepper posted:

And I thought getting the Masayuki map was insane.

Someone traded me a crazy map that has a ton of Platinum Kings in it: I think they either got around the low spawn rate by making the main monster the one right before Platinum King in the list and adding Platinum King as one of the secondary registered monsters, but it could just be a hacked map. In either case it made leveling to 99 fairly trivial.

Of course, someone ELSE linked a most-likely hacked map with some weird metal puppet monster at level 54 and a message along of the lines of "See if you can clear it!". drat things have several hundred HP, maxed metal resistances, and unlike slimes they hit hard! Oh, and the drat dungeon also spans death-spell spamming Pandora Boxes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man I want DQ7 3D now. :smith:

Come on Square, let it come out! I need to give you money.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Man I want DQ7 3D now. :smith:

Come on Square, let it come out! I need to give you money.

Is there a chance that it won't come out? DQ9 did great, right? And the DS remakes went to second printings on at least one or two of them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gloam posted:

Oh man, good times... I remember bringing my DS to Toronto Comicon just for the hell of it. I was beside myself at the end of the day when the map popped up! Maxed out all my little dudes and dudettes; that map alone pushed my playtime past 200 hours.

I just remember flying home from PAX and deciding "hey I'm going to try the map out". By the time I'd gotten home (west to east coast flight) my party went from being something like 48-49 to level 99 in their 'main' classes with a handful of others being level 40+ and characters having hundreds and hundreds of points to spend. Lightning Thrust and Spear usage for everybody.

Robotic Accolade posted:

Someone traded me a crazy map that has a ton of Platinum Kings in it: I think they either got around the low spawn rate by making the main monster the one right before Platinum King in the list and adding Platinum King as one of the secondary registered monsters, but it could just be a hacked map. In either case it made leveling to 99 fairly trivial.

Of course, someone ELSE linked a most-likely hacked map with some weird metal puppet monster at level 54 and a message along of the lines of "See if you can clear it!". drat things have several hundred HP, maxed metal resistances, and unlike slimes they hit hard! Oh, and the drat dungeon also spans death-spell spamming Pandora Boxes.

If the Plat Kings were the only enemy showing up on one of the floors further down (10? It's been awhile) then you got the map we're talking about. It's a wonderful, wonderful map.

Unmature posted:

Is there a chance that it won't come out? DQ9 did great, right? And the DS remakes went to second printings on at least one or two of them.

It sold something like a million copies in the US and Europe. While that's still only a fraction of the number sold in Japan, which had over 2 million preorders.

However DQ7's remake coming to the US would depend more on how the other remakes have done I'd imagine. DQ7 and DQ9 are pretty hugely different games.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Did they change how the Job system works in 7 much in the remake?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

The way I understand it, is that the only major change is that they got rid of the hybrid skills thing. Instead skills you would have gain by getting, uh, what was it? Five stars? Skills you would have gained by mastering two classes to five stars are now just part of one or the other class's normal progression. Maybe they dumped some of the extraneous ones too? I don't know.
Other then that, it's still that bizarre system that discourages actually leveling over raw number of battles in order to advance.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dr Pepper posted:

Did they change how the Job system works in 7 much in the remake?

Hybrid skills have been folded into regular skill sets, rather than requiring you to be proficient in two different classes one after another.
Most of the basic jobs have had their mastery levels dramatically reduced (for example: In the PS version, Cleric takes 180 battles to master. In the 3DS version it takes 97).
Tons of abilities can only be used in the class you learned it in, but to compensate for this many of the higher level classes have more diverse, overlapping skill sets.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Is there any possibility of DQ showing up at E3?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rumour is that Nintendo was tossing up between DQ7 and Bravely Default and picked BD, but that S-E is working on the DQ7 localisation on its own with 8-4.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
^^^ I really hope that is true. Dragon Quest is definitely my favourite JRPG series and I don't want to be deprived of a remake of one of the more amazing games in the series.

Gloam posted:

Hahah, was that Fan Expo? I shared that map in Fan Expo back when the game first came out.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Rumour is that Nintendo was tossing up between DQ7 and Bravely Default and picked BD, but that S-E is working on the DQ7 localisation on its own with 8-4.

As long as we get DQ7 somehow. I still haven't played the PS1 version, and I'm hoping the remake eliminates the problems I've heard it has (excessive grind, being stuck at boss fights because you didn't grind out a certain skill).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Why do the Japanese Game Devs hate their foreign customers so much. :qq:

The 3ds needs better games.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

nutranurse posted:

Why do the Japanese Game Devs hate their foreign customers so much. :qq:

The 3ds needs better games.

Whoa whoa whoa - better than what, exactly? I mean, it needs MORE good games, but I wouldn't call quality poor across the board, would you?

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Vinchenz posted:

^^^ I really hope that is true. Dragon Quest is definitely my favourite JRPG series and I don't want to be deprived of a remake of one of the more amazing games in the series.

Hahah, was that Fan Expo? I shared that map in Fan Expo back when the game first came out.

Yeah, yeah, that was the one! Sat in a Dolorean, got my rear end kicked in a Street Fighter tournament and tagged some folks in DQ, good times.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
This series is so drat charming. I've only played the DS remake of IV but I just started on IX and it really is already one of my favorite series ever. I love that it doesn't take itself too seriously and the puns! So many puns! I still don't understand how I could have not noticed this series before last year.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Unoriginal posted:

This series is so drat charming. I've only played the DS remake of IV but I just started on IX and it really is already one of my favorite series ever. I love that it doesn't take itself too seriously and the puns! So many puns! I still don't understand how I could have not noticed this series before last year.

I'm still playing IX. Great game, packed with content.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Unoriginal posted:

The series also uses its levity to sucker punch you with some dark poo poo every now and then. DQ7 felt like a cavalcade of horrific tragedies at certain points.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Perfect Potato posted:

DQ7 felt like a cavalcade of horrific tragedies at certain points.

Yeah, DQ7 has a lot of feel-bad stuff in there that leaves a terrible aftertaste.
There isn't a whole lot of a sense of redemption in many of the situations.

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

The series also uses its levity to sucker punch you with some dark poo poo every now and then. DQ7 felt like a cavalcade of horrific tragedies at certain points.

True that, most of the games have a heavy story now and then, VII has particularly sad stories though.

This weekend there's a 10 hour Dragon Quest X stream with some new information on the game and a BIG announcement. So, let's hope that's something interesting - we're coming up on the game's anniversary, maybe time for an expansion?

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

Gloam posted:

True that, most of the games have a heavy story now and then, VII has particularly sad stories though.

This weekend there's a 10 hour Dragon Quest X stream with some new information on the game and a BIG announcement. So, let's hope that's something interesting - we're coming up on the game's anniversary, maybe time for an expansion?

Well, We can hope that maybe it could come out in the states too. Or even the Release of VII on the 3DS in the US. My knowledge of Japanese is non-existent, so Imports are a no go for me.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I loved playing these games as much as I loved the FF series. While the first two might be a bit hard to swallow these days, I absolutely loved them back then. I can still play III pretty easily. I still have fun with the class change system in that game.

Recently, I've been playing the DS remake of V and having a blast. Pretty much done with it though, and will probably be jumping over to play IV or VI soon. Though I hear they gutted the monster recruitment selection for the VI remake, which sucks, as I found myself really enjoying that bit in V this time around(having 4 party spots in lieu of 3 helps). But it still has jobs and I love me my jerbs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Unoriginal posted:

Playing IV on the DS made me binge on the series and I don't regret it. I never did finish VIII since the random battles are just a loving slog but boy was the game great from the majority that I've played.