Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Carbolic posted:

Can you explain what social good is done by Masonry that could not be done equally or better by an organization that was exactly identical except for admitting women?

Allowing old married guys to spend one night a week/fortnight/month away from their wives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Allowing old married guys to spend one night a week/fortnight/month away from their wives.

I'm a young married guy, and know many young unmarried and old unmarried guys who are Masons. I firmly dispute that part of your statement, and resent it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

lord1234 posted:

I'm a young married guy, and know many young unmarried and old unmarried guys who are Masons. I firmly dispute that part of your statement, and resent it.

I'm a young married Mason. :ssh:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Carbolic posted:

If you were a Catholic woman who wanted female priests, you'd leave, but as a Mason who wishes women could join, you're staying.
Actually I've long been considering demitting.

Carbolic posted:

To move in a more constructive direction, how accepting are most lodges of LGBT members? (Transgender issues were discussed very briefly at the start of the thread, but I haven't noticed a discussion about LGB issues). Does this tend to be a function of the social mores where the lodge is located?
Varies greatly by location.

Carbolic posted:

Am I correct from reading the OP that Masonic lodges do not take political stances on issues, and thus would have no particular position on same-sex rights or same-sex marriage (or Obamacare, or immigration reform, or whatever)?
Correct.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 24, 2019

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Carbolic posted:

Am I correct from reading the OP that Masonic lodges do not take political stances on issues, and thus would have no particular position on same-sex rights or same-sex marriage (or Obamacare, or immigration reform, or whatever)?

This is correct, and I find on the whole older Masons are actually far more accepting than the general population for their age group. I've met plenty of older guys who view homosexuality as kind of icky because that's how they grew up but at the same time take a pretty hard line "what you do in your own home is your business, and if a faith wants to marry you they should be allowed to."

I think it's a product of more openly gay masons and an increasing number of non-Christians in lodges, older members have an obligation to be respectful and if you've got a guy you're calling a Brother who is gay and it turns out that the VoSL on the altar doesn't catch fire when he's near it then maybe these gay folks aren't so bad after all. Plus Masons in general are kind of forced to confront other faiths than their own to a degree and I think that might take a bit of the hellfire out of some people. Basically the influx of younger Masons is causing a lot of guys in the WWII to Korean War generation to suddenly have an openly gay friend they never (knowingly) would have had before, and that does alter people's perceptions in a positive way.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So basically, Freemasons are like any other 'new world order' organization that conspiracy theorists think control everything- just a group of guys hanging out who have secrets because who doesn't want a global clubhouse? Its like a secret fort in the woods for grownups where you can help each other out in business and faith instead of hitting another kid with sticks.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

lord1234 posted:

As a happily married young Mason I still agree with Wafflehound. You can love and respect women AND enjoy being away from them for a couple of hours.

Man, is everything so black and white for some of you folks? Life must be pretty frustrating for you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I've never met a mason who's had his affiliation aid in doing business, but otherwise you're exactly correct.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

I've never met a mason who's had his affiliation aid in doing business, but otherwise you're exactly correct.

Thats what I love about the world. Some people sit in their basements spending hours writing long blog posts about how masons are using Lady Gaga to brainwash people while the majority of masons are probably at home watching The Real Housewives of Atlanta or reading a book.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Other than in the sense that "Oh! I know a guy who is in that business, let me get you his contact info", that's correct. But that's what you get hanging out with a lot of people every week or so. That aspect is no different from Chamber of Commerce or even "My kid's soccer team".

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's just a bunch of dudes who want to hang out with other dudes and make friends and (if you're into it) study some really old philosophical and moral teachings.

That's it, really. People try so hard to read more into it than there is.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also if you draw the long straw at the monthly meeting you get to enjoy the high intensity high reward world of goat farming!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Other than in the sense that "Oh! I know a guy who is in that business, let me get you his contact info", that's correct. But that's what you get hanging out with a lot of people every week or so. That aspect is no different from Chamber of Commerce or even "My kid's soccer team".

Thats what I meant, basic networking that exists in any group.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Flying Fortress posted:

As a happily married young Mason I still agree with Wafflehound. You can love and respect women AND enjoy being away from them for a couple of hours.

Man, is everything so black and white for some of you folks? Life must be pretty frustrating for you.

sorry i resented the "old married" part....i'm only one of those things...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Mr. Maltose posted:

Also if you draw the long straw at the monthly meeting you get to enjoy the high intensity high reward world of goat farming!

I tell ya, that's the real benefit of being the Worshipful Master -- getting to delegate the goat duties. Makes the hours and hours of ritual memorization worth it!

It looks like I may be elected Secretary for next year. I should start going to the regional secretary meetings I suppose to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

lord1234 posted:

sorry i resented the "old married" part....i'm only one of those things...

If you're young and married you probably don't need quite the same excuse to get out of the house and away from your wife as the guys in their 70s. Just saying.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Rapdawg posted:

Thats what I love about the world. Some people sit in their basements spending hours writing long blog posts about how masons are using Lady Gaga to brainwash people while the majority of masons are probably at home watching The Real Housewives of Atlanta or reading a book.

Kyoon is one of my favorite posters, but it's not because he's close to the truth. I love conspiracy theories about Masons, hell, conspiracy theories in general, because people are just people. Even Masons, trilateral commission members, politicians, diplomats, they're all just people.

I'm a Freemason and I spend most of my day lazily putting off things I need to be doing, sometimes doing things I need to be doing, and not at all running the world.

Kyoon is the best.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If you're young and married you probably don't need quite the same excuse to get out of the house and away from your wife as the guys in their 70s. Just saying.

I'm under 30 and have two kids under 3years old. My interview and initiation can't happen soon enough :f5:

I'm kidding, but a "guy's" night wouldn't be an unwelcome addition to the routine

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Rapdawg posted:

So basically, Freemasons are like any other 'new world order' organization that conspiracy theorists think control everything- just a group of guys hanging out who have secrets because who doesn't want a global clubhouse? Its like a secret fort in the woods for grownups where you can help each other out in business and faith instead of hitting another kid with sticks.

The idea that we're secretly pulling the strings of all world governments is pretty laughable--as a whole we are barely able to plan a spaghetti dinner for twenty or so guys once a month, much less run the entire world.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

stubblyhead posted:

The idea that we're secretly pulling the strings of all world governments is pretty laughable--as a whole we are barely able to plan a spaghetti dinner for twenty or so guys once a month, much less run the entire world.

I used to give that answer to people in real life. Now I just say "Yes" or if they ask if we are a cult I'll also just say yes.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Lovable Luciferian posted:

I used to give that answer to people in real life. Now I just say "Yes" or if they ask if we are a cult I'll also just say yes.

My stock answer has always been: "If Masons ruled the world, do you really think I'd be working at a freaking IT helpdesk?"

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

I'm under 30 and have two kids under 3years old. My interview and initiation can't happen soon enough :f5:

I'm kidding, but a "guy's" night wouldn't be an unwelcome addition to the routine

poo poo, I'm pretty sure my wife would argue that Masonry helps women get a night away from their husbands every once in a while!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

runupon cracker posted:

poo poo, I'm pretty sure my wife would argue that Masonry helps women get a night away from their husbands every once in a while!

No lie. In my investigation interview one of the guys asked if my wife would have any issues with me being away a few nights a month, and I replied that she'd be glad to get me out of the house for a change.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Silly outfits ITT

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

QPZIL posted:

Silly outfits ITT

Come on ladies. :getin:

(I'm mocking women wanting to join, not the fact that you look dapper as gently caress, Brother.)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
For a bunch of brothers in solidarity you sure seem to enjoy reporting each other HEYO

Okay but seriously that is a girl, look she is even wearing earrings and has a bow and frou frou feathers on her head. Now stop reporting this gayass thread and let's talk some more about spaghetti.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone who puts ketchup on their meatloaf or permits others to do so is irregular :colbert:

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

hailthefish posted:

Anyone who puts ketchup on their meatloaf or permits others to do so is irregular :colbert:

That's how we've always done it and I don't see any reason why you young punks should change things. :colbert:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Coming up next: Samwise Gamgee investigates mysterious masonic murders in "The Freemason".

I really have no idea what to think of this. It would help if their Photos section contained more than a single drawing of "A mysterious new symbol."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

SimonChris posted:

Coming up next: Samwise Gamgee investigates mysterious masonic murders in "The Freemason".

I really have no idea what to think of this. It would help if their Photos section contained more than a single drawing of "A mysterious new symbol."

Sounds pretty stupid.

quote:

When Cyrus, a brilliant but eccentric freelance writer, is hired to investigate the mysterious murder of a wealthy banker, he suddenly finds himself thrust into the cryptic world of Freemasonry. Cyrus quickly learns the killer will strike again if not given an object shrouded by hundreds of years of arcane secrecy. He must embrace ideals extending beyond his natural senses or suffer the same grisly fate of the murdered banker.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

quote:

Trope trope trope

Sounds pretty stupid.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard the Freemasons = Bankers line, I'd probably be able to pay off my credit card debt.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
We don't even have enough bankers in our Lodge to put one on the finance committee.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm a Jewish Freemason and I don't have a single banker in my family. We're not even that good with money.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally finished my book, A Guide for the North Carolina Royal Arch and Select Master Mason. I'm pretty proud of those 53 pages - even though it's short, I've been working nonstop for like 2 weeks on it.

If there are any York Rite dudes that want to read it, shoot me a PM or an email at ianblake @ gmail. It's aimed at NC York Rite Masons, specifically in the Greensboro area, but it's very broad and can be enjoyed by all.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
For some reason, my e-mail client is refusing to send the e-mail. Is the address correct as ianblake (at) gmail ? (Or am I zoning, and "gmail" means something else?)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Effingham posted:

For some reason, my e-mail client is refusing to send the e-mail. Is the address correct as ianblake (at) gmail ? (Or am I zoning, and "gmail" means something else?)

Ianblake [at] gmail [dot] com, don't forget that last part.

VVV no worries :) got your email and sent it to you.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 19, 2013

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Gah. Forgot the dotcom. Sigh.

More... coffee...

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

It is the duty of all Masons to help their fellow Brothers. While the family may not be masons, we should all consider them our extended family. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544799&pagenumber=1&perpage=40.

Lets see what we can do.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

It is the duty of all Masons to help their fellow Brothers. While the family may not be masons, we should all consider them our extended family. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544799&pagenumber=1&perpage=40.

Lets see what we can do.

Came here to post this after I saw your post on Facebook. This is a Good Idea™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
That's a great cause to slip a few bucks to. Thanks for the heads up!

Last night I was fortunate enough to prove up on my FC with the two Grand Wardens in attendance. It was a really neat experience to meet the two next leaders of my states Grand Lodge and found them to be very friendly, accessible gentleman. I guess it just really hit home what a brotherhood this is.

That said I would love to make some visits to other WaGoons lodges after I'm raised. Maybe hit me up with a PM and we can figure out a day?