Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Probably gets jammed because of how it's angled toward the front a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's why I put a little rollerblade on the end of kickstand.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait, so how far did she get before this happened? As in how do you get out into the country etc and never turn left enough to make that happen. Or is the video started literally 30 seconds out of the driveway?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Pretty strange, that looked like a cbr600rr, the bike should cut off if the kickstand is down while in gear, unless she accidently kicked it down in the middle of a ride which you'd have to try really hard to do.

I sometimes even have to reach down and grab the little kickstand tang with my hand to deploy it if i'm wearing my racing boots.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

They might have pulled over to the side of the road for some reason just before the video?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
People have a habit of disabling the clutch/sidestand interlocks and I have no idea why.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

theperminator posted:

People have a habit of disabling the clutch/sidestand interlocks and I have no idea why.

I know on the DRZ it's a teeny little plunger and I'm pretty sure I've heard of it gets broken off in a lowside or offroad you're stranded.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
The PO disabled the sidestand safety on my bike which I didn't figure out until I pulled out of the driveway and took a slight left and felt it smack against the ground. Don't know why he did it, but I've only left it down that one time. I am thankful that he took apart the mechanical linkage that would pull up the kickstand when you pull in the clutch (WTF BMW?!?). I've read about people not knowing about that "feature" and dropping their bikes after stopping in gear, turning the bike off, putting down the kickstand, and pulling the clutch to put it in neutral, and then the kickstand comes back up and they go to put it down and BAM! on the ground.

I also read about some dude that worked at a bar, and would park out front, and came out 3(!!!) times to his bike on it's side because (his theory) some drunk idiot would sit on it for some reason, pull the clutch and work the brakes, and then go to put it back not realizing that the kickstand pulled up automatically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Why don't kickstands just fold up when that happens? They're all hinged towards the rear, right?

Because they are canted forward on the bike and when they touch down they can't fold up without lifting the bike up.

The real question is why did that person have their kickstand interlock disabled? I know they can be annoying, but they stop things like that from happening.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AkrisD posted:

I know on the DRZ it's a teeny little plunger and I'm pretty sure I've heard of it gets broken off in a lowside or offroad you're stranded.

On the drz the problem comes when you're jumping or on extremely rough terrain. The kickstand will move down and momentarily kill the engine. The solution is a beefier spring, but most people half rear end it and disable the interlock

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My kickstand killswitch is disabled, but that's more due to superior Italian electronics. Thankfully I only ever forget it on rare occasions and soon remember at low speed, leaving a parking space.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pokey Araya posted:

I also read about some dude that worked at a bar, and would park out front, and came out 3(!!!) times to his bike on it's side because (his theory) some drunk idiot would sit on it for some reason, pull the clutch and work the brakes, and then go to put it back not realizing that the kickstand pulled up automatically.
Implausible. A real BMW owner would use the centerstand.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

theperminator posted:

Mine never came with it... they add weight!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2DooxLJxo

Holy poo poo!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you are afraid of getting stranded, just make a plan on how to disable the switch when needed. Either the switch closes a circuit or it opens a circuit. You get around it by opening or closing as needed, using pliers, teeth, whatever.

Pokey Araya posted:

This is really weird. I let my friend sit on my bike once and it took about 4 seconds before he started keeling over. It seems they get so enamored by the bike they forget about gravity.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

loving ouch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, that's gotta hurt like woah.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

kloa posted:

Yea it looked like a newbie mistake at first, but then you can see the kickstand make a white skid line on the road before the crash.

That would be a newbie mistake.... But everyone forgets something sometime.

Watching someone do that is scary as hell. I was riding behind some friends, and I saw their kickstand was down. Just as we went into a left hander. I was completely powerless to do anything. I saw the sparks, I saw him fight, I saw his girlfriend struggle... and then I watched the bike launch off into a ravine.

He said he thought some car had hit him from behind. He couldn't figure out why the bike wouldn't turn.

Both people broke bones. :-(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, that's gotta hurt like woah.

I think (and sincerely loving hope) that the subframe/tail unit got caught in the pinch point and stopped the rear wheel before any part of her anatomy got in there and did it - the fact she detached from the bike fairly easily suggests so.

Also that even loving stupider red one in front of them had the subframe basically touching the rear tyre too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

"Hmm it was real nice this weekend" I think to myself, "worth it to check on the junkies."

I wasn't disappointed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQ-5mWNOLo

Honestly probably lucky that she endo'd the bike instead of railing into a ditch at speed.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

:stare: That is scary, but it kind of made me laugh because, well, :cthulhu:. Kind of like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgKoXzbw13E

After wasting another hour last night watching that guy's videos, I am so amazed no one has sued the City of Malibu/LA County/whoever using nothing but the Youtube clips. It's a poorly engineered corner, the guardrail is basically a big cheese-grater and in half the videos CHP units are just waiting for death or tickets, showing that they are more than aware of the issue. I need to go up there and spend a Sunday afternoon before it inevitably gets safetyfied someday.

Maybe I'll even drop in the corner and sue!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is the type of vid that makes me go "I love motorcycles but I hate everyone else that loves motorcycles". It's so incredibly stupid. I'm glad I'd never had the chance to witness morons like this in person, but at the same time sorry I haven't.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I clicked that link, watched it, started to read the comments and immediately saw

quote:

pik996 56 minutes ago
*checks under seat* Nope, no kitchen here either.

:fuckoff: Squids are the worst loving people.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I want to bitch about their lack of gear, but I rode about in a suit most of today (I want to post a picture of that scene from Skyfall for content, but I'm not *that* up myself). And I'm now paranoid that I've damaged the bike if only one other person just stops it with their kickstand!

For content, some dicks called Tony Stewart and Home Depot made a special NASCAR V8 motorcycle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Au0QgWSTt0

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

"This is a nascar racecar on two wheels"

Couldn't contain my laughter much longer after that.

I mean, I love V8's as much as the next guy but large car V8's in bikes is always gunna suck.

THIS is Nascar on two wheels

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

:stare: That is scary, but it kind of made me laugh because, well, :cthulhu:. Kind of like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgKoXzbw13E

After wasting another hour last night watching that guy's videos, I am so amazed no one has sued the City of Malibu/LA County/whoever using nothing but the Youtube clips. It's a poorly engineered corner, the guardrail is basically a big cheese-grater and in half the videos CHP units are just waiting for death or tickets, showing that they are more than aware of the issue. I need to go up there and spend a Sunday afternoon before it inevitably gets safetyfied someday.

Maybe I'll even drop in the corner and sue!

It's an awesome corner, just everyone thinks they're racecar drivers and takes it way too fast. It's a decreasing radius, slightly off camber (at the top of the hill) blind corner, a lot of people crash there because they underestimate the signage.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The real question is why did that person have their kickstand interlock disabled? I know they can be annoying, but they stop things like that from happening.

Short answer, it was a dual "Track/street" bike, and a lot of the orgs around here require the stand cutout to be disabled.

That, and according to the thread/FB, she just got all new brakes and lines on the bike, so a lot more grip and she got stupid.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

So that's what those huge fenders that normally come on bikes are for.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ThatCguy posted:

Short answer, it was a dual "Track/street" bike, and a lot of the orgs around here require the stand cutout to be disabled.

That, and according to the thread/FB, she just got all new brakes and lines on the bike, so a lot more grip and she got stupid.

Orgs that require the stand to be removed and the cutout disabled are insane.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

http://youtu.be/pR-WDb4hpZs?t=3m19s

HOLY poo poo

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

haha jesus christ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Christ what is wrong with these people. I have the sinking feeling that noone in that situation learned any kind of life lesson.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I always wonder why people ever agree to ride as passenger with people in groups of dong lords like that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Because they don't think the group are dong lords. Same deal with the backroad group rides. No one goes out there thinking that they'll crash, but group ride dynamics and different skill levels lead to crashes and close calls.

The front flip girl is out of surgery and doing okay according to AFJ so that's good. It always sucks hearing about another rider being hurt.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

I used to ride a fair amount at some DOONZ near me. The quad guys were huge idiots with regard to where they were on the dunes. Despite the flags on the quads it's still pretty easy to hide behind a large dune.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Man, be safe out there. :catstare:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

I used to ride a fair amount at some DOONZ near me. The quad guys were huge idiots with regard to where they were on the dunes. Despite the flags on the quads it's still pretty easy to hide behind a large dune.

My favorite is coming across quads on motorcycle-only singletrack; way to be in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I like how the youtube description has 1k words describing how he's not at fault, doesn't sound guilty at all.

Edit: And the music he dubs over at 4:20, god drat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I thought it was crazy when I figured it was a ZX6R at first glance.

Then I realized it's a 10R. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gullous posted:

I like how the youtube description has 1k words describing how he's not at fault, doesn't sound guilty at all.

Edit: And the music he dubs over at 4:20, god drat.

As someone who didnt come up around DOONZ, I always wondered how they kept from smacking into each other at crests. I mean, those flags are only so tall.

I guess this shows that sometimes, they dont.